Code of Conduct

Default Affordable long lasting summer EDTs

Looking for a some summer fragrances in the 3.4oz size with good longevity & sillage. I also happen to really like when I feel I bought something with a great bang for buck aspect, so let's say $30 is my cutoff.

I already have and enjoy Nautica Voyage, 360 Red, and I think they are both stellar for the price and fit my wants. Tommy Bahama smells good although I can never smell this one on my skin after about a couple hours so I'm not too happy with it (anyone interested?). I should just be happy with Voyage and 360 Red but I'm new to the fragrance game and I'm starting to get addicted to buying new scents.

I've tried Chrome and didn't care for it. Hated Quorum silver with a passion. Of course I've had Cool Water before but that was years ago and I can't remember if it lasts long in the summer heat. Feel free to chime in on the Cool Water longevity question?

I read that Live Jazz is a good one, but doesn't last long. Same thing with Unbound.

So what else is out there for value hounds like me?
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 19th February 2011 at 06:35 AM.

Default Re: Affordable long lasting summer EDTs

Best bang for your buck summer fragrance would be Thierry Mugler Ice*Men -- decent projection and lasts 8+ hours on my skin; a 3.4 oz bottle of it costs $38 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Best bang for your buck summer fragrance would be Thierry Mugler Ice*Men -- decent projection and lasts 8+ hours on my skin; a 3.4 oz bottle of it costs $38 on Amazon.
    Oh that one sounds good.

Check out the house of Issey Miyake.

l'eau d'issey Pour homme
    and the summer varieties....

Check out Live Jazz by YSL.

Faconabble is a good one for hot scorching days , the one in the tin , really refreshing

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Faconabble is a good one for hot scorching days , the one in the tin , really refreshing
    I actually own it, but don't wear it. It is just too powerful for me, even in the winter.

Burberry Summer

My favs are Green Jeans (possibly under $30 for 75 ml on ebay, if you get lucky) and Perry Ellis for Men (the reformulation of his first men's frag), which is around $20 for 5 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    My favs are Green Jeans (possibly under $30 for 75 ml on ebay, if you get lucky) and Perry Ellis for Men (the reformulation of his first men's frag), which is around $20 for 5 ounces.
    I actually have the new PE for Men, but I view it as more of a cooler weather scent, with that sweet oriental amber/vanilla drydown. I would think it might get really cloying in the heat but have yet to try it in summer. Awesome cologne though, a steal, and pretty unknown.

Blog Entries

Monsieur Balmain
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Eau de Guerlain
    Guerlain Homme L'Eau
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    West Indian Limes by Crabtree & Evelyn
    Eau de Lalique by Lalique
    Last edited by Grottola; 19th February 2011 at 04:24 PM.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Good & cheap -- you're talkin' my language, sir!

Definitely gotta +1 the suggestions for Issey Summer Editions and Monsieur Balmain. The former certainly has the longevity you're looking for. I'll also add John Varvatos Artisan -- might be a bit over your $30 limit, but not by much if you look online. If you already like Voyage, try Nautica's Island Voyage. Finally, I find Gai Mattiolo a very refreshing Summer cheapie.

Caron's L'Anarchiste might be found for that small price, but I guess I can't say for sure. It's a good summer scent.

Another of my summer favorites (all year round actually) is Nina Ricci's Signoricci. It probably isn't that low in price online though.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

You should try JOOP! Nightflight.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

[QUOTE=Grottola;2087569]Monsieur Balmain
    Eau de Rochas Homme
    Eau de Guerlain
    Guerlain Homme L'Eau
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Orange Sanguine by Atelier Cologne (fantastic orange fragrance)
    Azure Lime by Tom Ford
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake
    West Indian Limes by Crabtree & Evelyn
    Eau de Lalique by Lalique

Apparently Noveau Bowery and Central Park by Bond No. 9 are pretty good as well.[/QUOT

Under 30.00?

Try both Halstons; Z-14 and 1-12, cheap at Marshals.
    Last edited by Ivan D' Great; 19th February 2011 at 08:10 AM.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to look into some of them (I read lots of reviews in my free time). I'll also revisit Chrome, it was over a decade since I last tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    Check out Live Jazz by YSL.
    Agree. Lasts all day on me.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Agua de Loewe and the newer Agua de Loewe El are good in the heat and long-lasting.
    D&G Masculine
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

You may be able to find L'eau D'Issey for <$30. If so, thats a good option. To me the best value, and a better fragrance, is Bvlgari Aqva. Check out L'eau par Kenzo too.

If you're going to check out Chrome, then you should also check out Bijan Wicked as it smells similar, is cheaper, and last all day easily. Also, check out Bijan VIP (adding this to my collection soon) as Bijan always makes long-lasting, quality fragrances.

Also:
    Bvlgari Extreme & Aqva
    Joop! Nightflight
    Kenzo Homme or Homme Fresh
    Live Jazz

Sur la Plage

Guy Laroche Horizon
    Aramis New West for Him
    Hugh Parsons (Blue)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

bulgari aqua
    lanvin oxygene
    bulgari blv
    dsquared he wood/s

if you can find issey for that money, go for that.

thierry mugler ice men, l'eau d'issey summer, guerlain homme l'eau seriously?! under $30? where? marshalls? tjmax? not a fan of online buying due to my location. i think i can find the isseys here at home just shocked how cheap they are. thought they were priced a little higher. i'd want a summer 2009/2010 myself and would probably go for that.

i was able to score hermes concentree d'orange verte for 30 bucks. oh and the davidoff is much lighter than i remembered. still good for summer i believe.

thierry mugler ice men, l'eau d'issey summer, guerlain homme l'eau seriously?! under $30? where? marshalls? tjmax? not a fan of online buying due to my location. i think i can find the isseys here at home just shocked how cheap they are. thought they were priced a little higher. i'd want a summer 2009/2010 myself and would probably go for that.

i was able to score hermes concentree d'orange verte for 30 bucks. oh and the davidoff is much lighter than i remembered. still good for summer i believe.

I would go fo Davidoff Echo, or Lacoste Essential. They are both rather cheap and very fresh. Longevity is very good.

I agree with Bvgari aqua best cheap bang for the buck. Also i4got how much Vesace man Freiche cost but if its in your price rang I highly recommend that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

fountain

one spritz of giorgio beverly hills for men

A good one that is cheep at Perfumania and ebay is the original Animale for men. Very fruity sweet and long lasting with great sillage.

OMG that ad visual for Animale just ruined it for me! I like Cartier's Declaration Bois Bleu in the summer because it has that icy vibe with no fruit.

To the OP. If you liked voyage i would STRONGLY suggest checking out Nautica Blue. You can get the 1.7 oz. at Ross or somewhere for about 15 and the 3.4 off ebay for 20. Definitely fits what you're looking for.

The scents I use when I really need longevity and sillage when doing the tourist thing in hot countries are Chrome, Dali's Laguna, and Diesel Plus Plus - but especially Chrome.

The other ones with good longevity in hot weather which you might find cheaply are D&G Masculine and Tommy T. I like Tommy T because it's like carrying around an iron and ironing your shirt at will.
    Renato

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts
    Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for men. Set Sail St. Barts for Men was launched in 2007. Top notes are lime and tequila; middle notes are guava, green notes and salt; base notes are musk, vanille and palm leaf.

From Fragrantica.com

Try 1stperfume.com for good deals!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Wow, thanks everyone. I went with Chrome after sampling it at the Macys (then buying it online for much less). So many good ones you guys mentioned I'll have to do some more sampling. But I will continue building my summer lineup. Here's what I have so far, a mix of mellow and invigorating summer scents. Am I crazy for breaking summer scents into categories? hehe

Mellow
    - Tommy Bahama (evening)
    - Nautica Voyage
    - 360 Red

Energizing
    - Chrome
    - Original 360 (I know, it's polarizing and very different, but that's one reason I like it)

I just started collecting & using colognes daily this past December. Decent summer wardrobe so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts
    Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama is a Citrus Aromatic fragrance for men. Set Sail St. Barts for Men was launched in 2007. Top notes are lime and tequila; middle notes are guava, green notes and salt; base notes are musk, vanille and palm leaf.

From Fragrantica.com

Try 1stperfume.com for good deals!
    This looks so good I could drink it.

Go to TJ Maxx or Marshalls and look for a little blue box cologne called Eu De Maximum by Nickel. It cost like $8, and smells like the perfect everyday summer scent. It only costs $8 and it's awesome. Yes that Tommy Bahama looks awesome I must have it.

You could try Parfums d'Orsay Etiquette Bleue, which is EdT concentration. It is a typical orange eau de cologne backed up with a mossy/musky chypre base. Price vary widely.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew777 View Post
    To the OP. If you liked voyage i would STRONGLY suggest checking out Nautica Blue. You can get the 1.7 oz. at Ross or somewhere for about 15 and the 3.4 off ebay for 20. Definitely fits what you're looking for.
    Advice taken. Will let you know how I like it when it arrives. Got a 3.4 for $21 shipped. I'm sure I'll like it, I'm not too picky. As long as it doesn't make me gag I'll be good to go.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by dwrestle View Post
    Go to TJ Maxx or Marshalls and look for a little blue box cologne called Eu De Maximum by Nickel. It cost like $8, and smells like the perfect everyday summer scent. It only costs $8 and it's awesome. Yes that Tommy Bahama looks awesome I must have it.
    Will look for it. TX
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    Advice taken. Will let you know how I like it when it arrives. Got a 3.4 for $21 shipped. I'm sure I'll like it, I'm not too picky. As long as it doesn't make me gag I'll be good to go.
    Awesome. Let us know what you think once it arrives!