Code of Conduct

Thread: Backup bottle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Backup bottle

Besides knowing that the fragrance will be discontinued in the near future (even though there is almost always some stock floating around the net), I really dont understand the point of having a backup bottle(s). How much of an alarming rate do yall with backups use your fragrance that you need the assurance of a full backup bottle?? Even the term 'backup bottle' makes me laugh. It makes it sound like your bottle of |insert fragrance here| SHAQ tore his achilles..but no worries Big Baby/Perkins is there to fill in.

Cheers!
    Looking to buy: Terre d'Hermes 3.3 EDT! Lemme know!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Backup bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Tissueboxes View Post
    Besides knowing that the fragrance will be discontinued in the near future (even though there is almost always some stock floating around the net), I really dont understand the point of having a backup bottle(s). How much of an alarming rate do yall with backups use your fragrance that you need the assurance of a full backup bottle?? Even the term 'backup bottle' makes me laugh. It makes it sound like your bottle of |insert fragrance here| SHAQ tore his achilles..but no worries Big Baby/Perkins is there to fill in.
    Cheers!
    yea i dont know why people have backup bottles when they have 20 or 30 bottles in use, but im hoping miami can beat em for their last game in april and in the playoffs, as you can see i am a hugo lebron fan haha.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1. Not all fragrances continue to be available on the Web, and those that are, are often priced fairly high.
    2. Besides being discontinued, fragrances are often reformulated to their detriment. A backup bottle (or several, for a fragrance especially loved) ensures that one will be able to enjoy the fragrance as it was originally, for a while longer.

Like anything else, buying backups can be done to excess. Everyone has to decide for himself or herself how many are too many.

Well, if you spray a dozen times each application and wear the frag once a week, and you're in your 20s, I would suggest backing up your fav frags, especially if you can get them at discounted prices now.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though it may be a fragrance you absolutely love..does one not look at or feel how much is left every once in a while?
    Do people really go "OH SH1T my bottles running low!!! how did this happen!?!?!?!!? f*ck work man i gotta go get me another bottle!!"

I would like the Heat to represent the East but I think that Boston is just a far more experienced and dynamic team.
    What are you thoughts about the West?? Lakers? Mavs? Spurs?
    (i would love to discuss more basketball but this will turn into a basketball thread and i want the answer to my question lol)

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Like anything else, buying backups can be done to excess. Everyone has to decide for himself or herself how many are too many.
    True enough.

If you're weirded out by the concept of backup bottles you may find much of Basenotes pretty baffling.

Getting a backup is just getting the replacement at the same time as the original, instead of after using up the original. It offers the advantage of protecting against discontinuation or reformulation. Tout simple! It's like buying extra paper towels because you know you're going to use them eventually.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

for the thread, i can see how if a frag was going to be reformulated, you would want a backup, but how long would a backup bottle last if you have not ever spray it and it is wrapped with cellophane in its box?

Basketball: for the west, i think the conference finals will be the lakers and spurs, and i think it can go either way with that. The mavs wont make it and oklahoma city is still too young, but they will be good with durant and westbrook leading the way. And yea, i think boston will beat miami in the conference finals this year, only because miami needs to get a deeper bech, and boston just picked up shane battier, so they are only getting deeper. Boston cant compete with the athleticism of lebron and d-wade, but with dexter pittman out, miami cant match up against big baby and perkins, boston is too big and play too well together to be stopped. i predict boston wins the ship this year and miami will win next year.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Playing devil's advocate, backups do have a downside:

1. Your tastes may change, and then you'll be stuck with bottles you no longer want. You could sell, but often it's at a loss, unless the fragrance is very desirable.
    2. Backing up is spending tomorrow's fragrance dollars today. Maybe in half a year, a new fragrance will come out that you are dying to buy-- but your money is tied up in your backup bottles.
    3. As mambac points out, shelf life is a consideration (although fragrances kept dark and cool last a long time.)
    4. All those bottles take up space.
    5. If you have to move, they can be a real problem to pack up and ship safely.

For me, I limit backups to fragrances that are either already discontinued/reformulated/limited edition, or about to be. And even then, only some fragrances; I certainly would not buy a second bottle of every fragrance I own, just my favorites.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 24th February 2011 at 04:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    1. Not all fragrances continue to be available on the Web, and those that are, are often priced fairly high.
    2. Besides being discontinued, fragrances are often reformulated to their detriment. A backup bottle (or several, for a fragrance especially loved) ensures that one will be able to enjoy the fragrance as it was originally, for a while longer.

Good points.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone thought about freezing a backup or whatever?? I wouldnt think that any of the molecules would mind or be damaged as long as if it wasnt thrown into a can of liquid N right? I mean.. people store their fragrances in fridges (of course the temp is always different)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would not want to try freezing a perfume. I could see where it might cause some separation of the ingredients.

I do use a fridge but that is a whole other discussion (one which seems to be popping up here with increased frequency, I've noticed.) You will find people on both sides of that discussion, but we all agree that in general, dark and cool is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wait I'm an idiot. Liquid expands when frozen. durrrr

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

it would have to be a pretty damn cold freezer because alcohol doesnt freeze

What is the idea of freezing a frag, scientifically? Or is it an "old wive's tale" type of thing? Don't glass bottles break if frozen?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a personal issue for sure. Many folks simply switch to something else when something is disontinued. There is definitely no shortage of good fragrances around. Having said that, when I really like something and it is a limited edition or it is being discontinued, I'm going to try to make sure I have a supply to last a while. It's like an investment for those who value the fragrance. I can also understand that someone cannot understand or afford something. Laugh all you want!

Martin
    Last edited by Jazznpool; 24th February 2011 at 06:06 AM.

Also, I have quite a few really old frags that smell great (mine or given to me by relatives), and I've bought some from the 50s and 60s from ebay sellers that also smell great. I've never smelled a frag gone bad, and since I avoid top notes anyway, it's really not an issue if they're gone, which seems to be the most likely issue with frags as they age.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh2003 View Post
    It's like buying extra paper towels because you know you're going to use them eventually.
    where i understand your point i dont think its the same principal as purchasing extra paper towels. Ive never seen anywhere where just one roll of paper towel was sold (at least where i come from)

but i too dont not see the need in backup bottles, with anything, if anything happens to it, buy a new one. discontinuation, reformulation etc are rare occurrences and to me are not justification enough to buy two or three or more bottles of perfume at one time.

buy one, use it, when it finishes buy a new one. to me its such a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Imo fear has a lot to do with back-up bottles, limited editions, certain frags start disappearing from stores, rumours of discontinuation/reformulation spread and the pressure is on to panic buy.
    Personally i only have bought one back up bottle (pure malt) due to its limited release and recently i am starting to think of that as a mistake. I intend to sell it soon to pay for something new - as someone else said, there are so many frags to try without one sitting there doing nothing for a few years when i could have something else in my rotation.