Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default Lip 'Stains', anyone?

I am intrigued by the new all day lip stain products, which are like a marker on one end and a glossy chapstick on the other. Supposedly they last until they are removed, and the gloss bit gets re-apllied to keep the shine and moiture up. No smudging, etc.

I wonder if anyone has tried them?

My concern would be lip flaking and general dryness, or a weird dry marker effect on the lips.

Default Re: Lip 'Stains', anyone?

Hillaire,
    Lipstains are lovely, especially if you enjoy that "just bitten" look. Usually, the stain is buildable, so you can go sheer or pretty intense. The downsides you already mentioned: if your lips are chapped the chapping will be very noticeable; lip stains can be streaky.

I suggest buffing lips with a mixture of sugar and olive oil and/or a wet washcloth. I then apply a balm and let it sink in before using the stain.

Lipstains are also nice under lipglosses or even lipsticks to give color to the lips that stays put after the gloss or lipstick wears off.

*jen

Hillaire

Thanks, Jen!

I will try some, and be sure to exfoliate first.

Basenotes Plus

H- I've been happy with Just Bitten lipstains by Revlon (though I wish they had more colors). The lip balm feels Ok without being too heavy or too sticky. I've also used the Revlon balm on Cover Girl lipstains, too, which don't have a balm come with the tube.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

The makeup artist who I hired for my wedding recommends the Cover Girl lip stains highly. She describes them as "a magic marker you use on your lips." I bought a couple and tried them out, both by themselves and with a light gloss over. They do last a while but eventually do wear off if you eat or drink anything. I also agree that you need to exfoliate first, and they are very drying if you don't use a gloss over them. Also, if you have any lip balm on when you put them on, they don't really "take" so well (probably the oils in the balm repel the stain).

Basenotes Plus

I tried the new Maybelline "SuperStay 24 Hour color" which is a pigmented base with a lip balm top coat

Pros: wide color assortment, around 10 USD, glossy but non sticky, good definition control, feels pretty comfortable, did not dry out lips, easy to remove with oil based cleaner (I just used olive oil)
    Con: No truth in advertising- Doesn't last anywhere near 24 hours

BUT it does last hours longer than regular lipstick or gloss, (comparable to the lipstains) and doesn't do that weird flaky thing. I will be looking for specials on these, for sure.
    A Scent Rescuer

I really like them but for using on my cheeks instead of my lips. It gives them a nice healthy glow. They come off too quickly when I've worn them instead of lipstick although I do use them sometimes. I also hate lipgloss and shiny lipsticks (I use matte ones) so the lip stains are a nice inbetween look for me.
    ♥ Tom Ford Private Blends, Diptyque candles, Jo Malone, Frederic Malle, Auric Blends.
    Please let me know if you're selling a bottle of Tom Ford - Noir de Noir

I love lip stains. I use them all the time. I have Cover Girl, Revlon, NYC, Palladio, Urban Decay, etc., etc.. . I absolutely love the Urban Decay Lip Ink and use it often in the cooler months because I like a more vivid lip then. I use the CG and NYC Cosmetics ones alot and sometimes put a gloss on top. Love them.

Basenotes Plus

I recently tried the NYC Cosmetics one and really liked it. Good colors and especially the price. The tube did dry out a little fast, though.
    I'm getting quite a collection of stains and will have to think up some way to recycle the tubes because I hate to think of all that plastic going into a landfill--- Yes, I'm weird that way...
    A Scent Rescuer

I have a Christopher Drummond one which is in a compact like a single eyeshadow. It wears really well and even has a shimmer to it.
    DONNA