Code of Conduct

Default "Official" Mugler - Pure Wood reviews thread

Since I'm sure most of us are curious about this new release and to make it easier to read
    everyone's opinions in one place, let's just use this thread to read BNer's thoughts on Pure Wood
    as we all receive our bottles and samples in the mail.

Default Re: "Official" Mugler - Pure Wood reviews thread

Just hope it's better than Pure Leather. Will keep my fingers crossed.

Blog Entries

I hope the OP doesn't mind if I just copy-paste a snippet of what I wrote in the other thread:

"...I detected pencil shavings vibe, some strong woods... the overall scent is thick, and it actually reminded me of Costume National Homme. A few hours later, the sweetness became more up front, similar to the drydown of Gucci Pour Homme I, only sweeter...."

I know the wipe sample isn't accurate, so this initial impression will be updated after a proper wearing.

Looking forward to reading other members' first impressions of Pure Wood.

Once I purchase this, will definitely be looking back in this thread.. Good idea starting this.
    Last edited by hednic; 15th July 2014 at 05:07 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Who's paying for expedited shipping? Who will get it first? Hahah

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Agree, the small sample they sent sure did smell good so I think they're back on track. I wish they'd offer a 1oz. as well.

Having a cohesive discussion thread for this is a smart idea, but there's already one running where people have been posting reviews and thoughts:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/378...*MEN-Pure-Wood

Maybe they can be combined, or people can perhaps lift their reviews and post them here as the other thread also features speculation and whatnot? The mods could smash the two together, but it'd be messy.

But also, don't forget that the forums are well suited for discussions of fragrance and that we have a dedicated spot for you all to post your reviews right here as well: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26142668.html

Anyhow, look forward to hearing some thoughts on this one!

Same here. As I mentioned in another thread, based on the wipe I got, it seemed pretty similar to the original A*Men. They both shared that prominent tar note. To me, Pure Wood was like the original A*Men, but with wood notes added to it. I would say this is the 2nd closest flanker to the original A*Men, with Pure Leather being the first. Having said that, I will reserve my final impressions once I get my hands on a sample vial.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Having a cohesive discussion thread for this is a smart idea, but there's already one running where people have been posting reviews and thoughts:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/378...*MEN-Pure-Wood

Maybe they can be combined, or people can perhaps lift their reviews and post them here as the other thread also features speculation and whatnot? The mods could smash the two together, but it'd be messy.

But also, don't forget that the forums are well suited for discussions of fragrance and that we have a dedicated spot for you all to post your reviews right here as well: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26142668.html

Anyhow, look forward to hearing some thoughts on this one!
    No, please don't combine mods. That thread is mostly speculation, hopes, and opinions on a small swab they received.
    I'd like a separate thread for reviews after actual time with the juice straight from the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by RS2AM View Post
    No, please don't combine mods. That thread is mostly speculation, hopes, and opinions on a small swab they received.
    I'd like a separate thread for reviews after actual time with the juice straight from the bottle.
    I agree! That thread's convoluted, so perhaps people can port over anything they've written that they're particularly attached to, or PM me and I'll try and do it.

They can just rewrite their opinion if they wish.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I really want to, lol.

Basenotes Member

Too bad it's just on mugler.USA ... . Not available right now in France, I'm waiting for an customer service email about the date of availability.

Just saying but the bottle doesn't look as nice as the one on the teaser picture. The pseudo-wood on the real bottle looks more like some playmobile wood than I thought. But anyway, I'd love to smell that ! Looking forward to readingeveryone's impressions.

Just saw a pic of the actual bottle. I cringed.
    Summer 2014 rotation:
    1. L'eau d'Issey Summer Edition 2012
    2. Polo Sport
    3. Nikos Sculpture Homme
    4. Versace pour Homme
    5. Dior Homme Sport
    6. YSL L'Homme
    7. Cool Water (oh yea!!)
    8. Millesime Imperial
    9. Ciel Man

Wanted: bottle of Montale Intense Cafe and Aoud Leather.

Just wish it was available in stores now. I might get it, but not before getting to sample it in person.

Might have to smell first. Hopefully we will get them locally

We discussed that.

I'd gotten my sample in the mail a week or so ago. As is the case with a few of the TM fragrances (for me), it was sort of sickening when I first put it on my arm. After sitting for an hour or so, the dry-down smelled great. As I was going to bed, I tried to put the little cloth strip carefully back in the envelope/card to try again the next day, but then I'd forgotten about it and didn't get a 2nd chance before it dried out.

Anyway, I will be looking forward to trying it in person at a store.

Sadly I must blind buy every one that launches now to keep the collection bottle lined up lol. Only missing pure coffee
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

DSC_0025.JPG

Looks much different than the promotional photo.

Soooooooooooooo.....,,, how is it?????????????????
    Fill us in shoe!!

It's not my biggest concern but that's certainly one sad, cheap looking bottle.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Here's the first review I've seen on another site just to get the ball rolling

"My bottle arrived this morning and I immediately ripped-open the UPS package and applied this fragrance to my skin. My initial impression? Well, unlike Pure Leather and Pure Energy/Shot (although I do like 'em), this fragrance did not disappoint; Pure Wood delivers and I love it; well-done Mugler!

Random thoughts: (this fragrance has been on my skin for the past 4-hours...will update my review later, just wanted to get my thoughts out there)

- Fantastic oak note...Pure!...not synthetic in the least; likely the best oak note I have ever smelled.

- As one of the YouTube reviewers mentioned, I too could sense something resinous about this fragrance during the 30-60 minutes. While I love a lot of fragrances that make use of benzoin, I am certainly not an expert when it comes to sniffing-out this note. Two things going on in my mind:

1. This resinous quality in Pure Wood, to me, smells more myrrh-like than it does benzoin. Why? Well, to my nose it has a bit more of a flat-sour quality than it is sweet or vanilla-like. Okay, the term flat-sour sounds bad...quite the opposite...it's just not sweet IMO.

2. After going round-and-round sniffing this one on my arm, I am coming to the realization that the resinous quality is the depth of the oak note (quite possibly the best oak note I have ever smelled in a fragrance) combining with the faint coffee and vanilla notes. I could be dead wrong, but I get the feeling the quality of the blend as it combines with one's skin is giving it that resinous quality. But what do I know?

- Fragrance community folks will/should love this fragrance for the aforementioned reasons; regular folks will really like this one (it's nice smelling and nothing harsh nor polarizing about it) but it won't garner a lot of unsolicited complements in my opinion. We shall see.

- It was a full 2-hours before I started to detect a faint whisper of vanilla. Even after 4-hours vanilla, to me, is taking a backseat to oak, cypress, patchouli and coffee. Note: I'm only 4-hours into this fragrance so perhaps the vanilla will continue to evolve

- Okay, I'm going to say it...some folks will complain that Pure Wood is not sweet or A*Men enough. One thing I have learned is the ladies (at least in my life) like the freshie, sweet and gourmand type fragrances. The problem:

1. A really sweet note (caramel, sugar, etc.) could quite possibly kill the balance between the wood notes (did I mention just how terrific that oak note smells?), coffee and patchouli.

2. Could the vanilla note be louder? I don't know...but I really don't smell much vanilla in this fragrance, which I really kind of like. If I want to smell like Vanilla, I have dozens of fragrances that will accomplish the mission. C'est la vie!

- The benzoin/resinous phase disappeared (to me) 30-60 minutes after applied to my skin. Surprisingly, it reemerges at the 3-hours mark leading me to believe it's synergistic relationship between the notes and my skin that is causing this resinous vibe.

Briainstorming: I feel that Pure Wood could be layered with Rochas Man (emphasis on sweet coffee) or a vanilla-benzoin-myrrh fragrance such as Cologne of the Missions Le Couvent des Minimes for those wanting to experiment and turn Pure Wood into Pure Sugar Wood. And I'm sure it would also layer with the original A*Men quite nicely. Perhaps I'll try it over the weekend...what's the worst that could happen...my taking a shower? (Lol)

Pure Wood is not a longevity/projection beast. It projects moderately on my skin for the first 2-3 hours and then settles down to a very nice skin scent. Overall, I would say it projects moderately. Right now it has been on my skin for about 4 1/2 hours, so longevity is moderate or perhaps even excellent, which is fine for this kind of scent. Overall, I am ecstatic with Pure Wood...certainly one of the best woody fragrances I have in my collection.

Update: on my skin, oak was the primary note until almost the 5-hour mark when vanilla takes a major step forward and kicks oak to the curb. I get the feeling this fragrance will be vanilla/resin (benzoin-myrrh) on my skin until it disappears."

It took 23 posts to finally get to a Pure Wood review that's not even from a Basenotes member? Should've just merged this with the existing Pure Wood thread that already contains several reviews (albeit from swabs), Lol.

Anyway, carry on...

Not sure why that would mean we should have merged with that, but carry on.

Not sure why that would mean we should have merged with that, but carry on.
    A Pure Wood "reviews" thread with no Basenotes reviews vs. a Pure Wood thread that already contains several reviews? Do the math.

Frankly, Pure Wood smells similar enough to Fahrenheit Absolute on my skin that it's not worth a purchase IMO. So whatever the mods do with this thread is fine by me, as I probably won't be stopping in after this reply anyway...unless I run out of Fahrenheit Absolute and feel the need to replace it with something with the same vibe. LOL.

Just got mine today and it's fantastic. The name is still ridiculous. I will probably pick up a second bottle.

See, you could have written that to begin with instead of continuing the debate. I'm not a huge FA fan, so thanks for the warning.

Received mine today also but at my other home as I'm currently in NYC. Will have to wait until tomorrow night to give it a try. Excited.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm not the greatest "nose" in the world, but the oak note in this is surprisingly close to Chene. Crazy, right? Probably not to the degree of refinement as SL achieved and it is definitely obscured by other notes in the background, but rest assured that the oak is prominent. I have A*men, Malt, and Havane; this stands on its own very well for a Pure flanker.

It smells totally different from the "sample" mailed out. That was, to me, vanilla heavy which rears its head very late in the development. I'm very happy with this purchase and will grab a backup once this hits shelves in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Received mine today also but at my other home as I'm currently in NYC. Will have to wait until tomorrow night to give it a try. Excited.
    And.......

Quote Originally Posted by krooze View Post
    I'm not the greatest "nose" in the world, but the oak note in this is surprisingly close to Chene.
    That would be something.
    I'll have to try this out, because there is no way I'd pay the going rate for Chene.
    Chene is very nice, maybe a hair too sweet.
    Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Ralph Lauren - Polo Modern Reserve
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee

With PW I get a different take on the usual A*Men DNA. Kind of strange, because it has the standard notes of PH, PM, PL, PC and the infamous A*men. I think it may be the cypress and oak notes that have that effect. The oak note is pretty good. The patchouli and vanilla gives it a medium level of sweetness. I detect the coffee note (barely) after 30 minutes of application.

Overall, PW is a pretty good flanker that can be enjoyed in the warmer and cooler months. 8/10

Wow, it's Saturday evening and I thought that by now there would be more commentary here on this scent !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Wow, it's Saturday evening and I thought that by now there would be more commentary here on this scent !
    Same here, I have Pure Coffee, Malt, Havane, and Amen so I'm trying to get as much info as I can to figure out if its different enough to buy.

Basenotes Plus

I'm curious too as to how it smells. I'm hoping that this will be a mugler fragrance that I can wear
    Current rotation:

Ciel Man
    Millesime Imperial
    Green Irish Tweed
    L'Homme
    Scandal Pour Homme

Default "Official" Mugler - Pure Wood reviews thread

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    I'm curious too as to how it smells. I'm hoping that this will be a mugler fragrance that I can wear
    Same. I'm genuinely curious about this one as I like oak very much but have yet to find a wearable Mugler. Womanity is the only one that's stood out to me so far.
    Last edited by deadidol; 19th July 2014 at 11:09 PM.

You have to keep in mind that most of us aren't going to get to smell it until September when it arrives in stores. I'm very much looking forward to it... because...

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I'm genuinely curious about this one as I like oak very much but have yet to find a wearable Mugler.
    Exactly this. I like the original A*Men, but it's not at all me. Pure Wood could possibly be right up my alley.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

FWIW: MiN has a new scent called "Barrel" that's a pretty nice oak. Oak's a weird note as the raw material Oakwood Absolute is both pricey and fruity, so I'm expecting this to be a synthesized oak similar to Barrel.

Anyhow, reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    I'm trying to get as much info as I can to figure out if its different enough to buy.
    Exactly my feelings also. I tried the little sample that they sent, but I can't tell if it was different enough from A*Men / Pure Leather to justify adding this one also. Pure Malt and Pure Havane are quite different to my nose, and I love those, but I had a feeling this one would be too much like A*Men and Pure Leather (which smelled too similar to me - the leather should have been more up front - instead it was overrun by the A*Men DNA).

So far, I am just as unsure as I was before! Still will probably blind order it any minute, but trying to show restraint.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Exactly my feelings also. I tried the little sample that they sent, but I can't tell if it was different enough from A*Men / Pure Leather to justify adding this one also. Pure Malt and Pure Havane are quite different to my nose, and I love those, but I had a feeling this one would be too much like A*Men and Pure Leather (which smelled too similar to me - the leather should have been more up front - instead it was overrun by the A*Men DNA).

So far, I am just as unsure as I was before! Still will probably blind order it any minute, but trying to show restraint.
    I'll add that for $90/100 ml, it's got to not only be different, but have a different base, and one that I like. Too many just go into a gourmand base, sometimes without much trace of the opening (Pure Havane in particular), so to me that's a $10 scent, because I already have some A*Men, Pure Leather, and Pure Havane..

Kind of hoping it's bone dry and maybe a tad musty, but I'm expecting it to be more like peanut butter or vanilla latte or cotton candy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    Same here, I have Pure Coffee, Malt, Havane, and Amen so I'm trying to get as much info as I can to figure out if its different enough to buy.
    who are you kidding? cmon, we all know you're gonna end up buying it regardless if only for the collection, so you might as well save yourself the time and just order it now!

Quote Originally Posted by mjones602 View Post
    who are you kidding? cmon, we all know you're gonna end up buying it regardless if only for the collection, so you might as well save yourself the time and just order it now!
    haha you're more than likely right

I have the impression that a lot of people blind bought pure havane, but then with the negative response to pure shot and pure leather, Mugler basically exhausted the good will of his clinetele base--hence fewer people are blind buying, hence there are fewer reviews.

That being said, I'm also curious to smell it. But there is no way I am blind buying it.

I have to admit I'm shocked as well. Maybe it's good, just not quite the next Pure Malt.

I didn't mind Pure Shot, but Pure Leather was what disappointed me the most. It was way too similar to the original A*Men. Even after doing a side-by-side comparison, it was difficult to tell the two apart. Because of that, I will definitely fully sample Pure Wood prior to ever purchasing a full bottle.

It's pretty amazing how they can give out wipes to "the circle" customers that barely let you smell any notes and get maybe one wearing out of it. At the same time they're giving away limited edition plaques and decants to YouTube reviewers. I'm not falling for the hype on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's pretty amazing how they can give out wipes to "the circle" customers that barely let you smell any notes and get maybe one wearing out of it. At the same time they're giving away limited edition plaques and decants to YouTube reviewers. I'm not falling for the hype on this one.
    I know what you mean, but giving away decants to youtube reviewers is actually really smart business. It creates hype for very little money as youtubers freak out in order to be the first (OMFG FIRST!! EXCLUSIVE!! OMG!!!) to post a review. I've seen at least one really good review where it was obvious the guy actually wore the scent first and had knowledge about it before doing the review, but others seemed like they opened the box and started making a video. First impressions videos almost always show the lack of knowledge about the scent because, as anyone who knows anything about fragrances already understands, first impressions are mostly TOP NOTES. And a review of top notes tells very little. First impressions reviews are like reviewing a new restaurant when the only thing that's showed up at the table is a salad. They should at least wait until they've eaten the entree before posting a review of the meal.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Overall, PW is a pretty good flanker that can be enjoyed in the warmer and cooler months.
    Wholeheartedly agree. Worthwhile purchase IMO.

OK, now that's everyone's focused on Pure Coffee, I guess we can sum up Pure Wood reviews with, "One of the better flankers, but not quite the next Pure Malt."

Got my bottle today and that the bottom down dry as a slight unique musty note which I like. Just wish the bottle didn't looks I tacky in butterscotch brown...

OK, now that's everyone's focused on Pure Coffee, I guess we can sum up Pure Wood reviews with, "One of the better flankers, but not quite the next Pure Malt."
    Sounds like a recipe for "I'll pick it up for $50 when it hits fragrancenet."

I'm with you on that Scentimus. Seems to be the second time TM advertised a fragrance bottle looking a certain way, then it is another design when it is released. Even Pure Leather is a certain color of the star on the box, and when you look at the actual bottle the star is a different color.
    Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Got my bottle today and that the bottom down dry as a slight unique musty note which I like. Just wish the bottle didn't looks I tacky in butterscotch brown...

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Sounds like a recipe for "I'll pick it up for $50 when it hits fragrancenet."
    I imagine it won't take that long!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    ...but others seemed like they opened the box and started making a video. First impressions videos almost always show the lack of knowledge about the scent because, as anyone who knows anything about fragrances already understands, first impressions are mostly TOP NOTES. And a review of top notes tells very little. First impressions reviews are like reviewing a new restaurant when the only thing that's showed up at the table is a salad. They should at least wait until they've eaten the entree before posting a review of the meal.
    There outta be a law. Good thing Top Note Tourists can be seen from a mile away!
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Sounds like PW will be a real dud - there doesn't seem to be that much interest at Fragrantica either. Very surprising to me!