Code of Conduct

Default All 3 Coach Leatherware Mens Scents on sale for $48 each (95ml EDP) (soon to be discontinued)

Very good sale for three well regarded mens leather scents. $48 each in store, same price online plus shipping:

http://www.coach.com/shop/men-fragrance

I blind bought No 1 and No 3, as the store didnt have any testers open. Interestingly enough, the online tool said no one in California had No 2 in stock, so I may have to blind buy that one online and pay shipping. Was pretty frustrated because they coaxed me down telling me they had testers or that they could open a box. I would have bought blind anyway, but I was hoping testers would have narrowed the choice down for me.

No 1 starts off with a fairly competent but pretty uninspired citrus and greens ensemble. At first sniff, I was kind of pissed I bought this because in all honesty, I would have left it at the store had they had a tester there for me to try. You really dont even get any leather at all.

One of the fragrantica reviewers mentioned that no 1 improves as it dries, which I am finding to be true. The woods (and I assume nutmeg) come out. The leather is still way in the back. Interestingly enough, in no 1 leather is listed as a base note, but in no 3 it is a middle note. Perhaps this is why?

I cant help but feel like I have smelled this somewhere. It smells like a competent spring/summer-oriented effort from one of the better houses. Citrus-vetiver/green opening, woody middle, and a leather base. It's not a game changer, but I cant say its bad, and $48 for almost 100ml of EDP (well see whether it actually lasts that long) is a decent price. If you were looking for an office or warm weather scent, you could do way worse than this.

Once you get to the base, the leather is way more prominent. When I woke up the next morning, I could really smell it on the paper. Its a good effort.

No 3 is more interesting. It shares that smoke and leather accord that you get from Tuscan Leather and The Cobra and The Canary, all three underwritten by a powdery note. Tuscan Leather strikes me as borderline feminine, but that may be my own mental association with my grandmother, who is a fashionable woman who smokes and wears good perfume. I think that mixture of smoke, quality leather, and the powdery accord remind me of a classy older woman. In Cobra and The Canary, the powder is pretty absent until the drydown, and you get more of an outdoors-and-rocks feel, which really helps with the mental image of the roadster and the open road. In Leatherware No 3, the powder is turned up a bit but not as present as in Tuscan Leather, the outright cigarette smell is turned down to "tobacco" and flanked by spices and woods which make it slightly more masculine. However, I don't find this "screamingly" masculine. In fact, a woman who wears TL could probably easily wear this.

At first sniff, no 3 seems the more interesting of the two, but since they are being discontinued I will likely continue to wear them and sell off whichever one I don't like once they are no longer on sale.

Can anyone compare no 2 to the others? Which one do you guys think is going to be the "classic" of the three?

Default Re: All 3 Coach Leatherware Mens Scents on sale for $48 each (95ml EDP) (soon to be discontinued)

Coach has an outlet store about 30 minutes north of me.
    I was looking at No. 2 online, but "baseball glove leather" turned me off, didnt bother making the trip.
    Pepper and baseball glove leather? Fragrantica reviews arent exactly glowing either.
    Seems like a $20 cheapie at a discounter soon.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective
    Latest Review: Burberry Brit - New Year Edition

For Sale - For Swap - Polo Crest / Aigner Suede / Encre Noire Sport / MIP EDP / CSP Vanille Mokha & Samples - Updated 02/23
    Wanted: None

Default Re: All 3 Coach Leatherware Mens Scents on sale for $48 each (95ml EDP) (soon to be discontinued)

Because of how some of the recent aroma chemicals irritate me (at least in the amounts used in some scents), it's a bad blind buy for me, unless I could get all 3 for $48 total, at which point I'd be willing to take that chance.

All 3 are actually pretty nice. 02 is my favorite, and I just might snag a bottle before they are gone.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. Brückner - Aoud 1

No. 3 reminded me of a take on Tom Ford White Suede but with a more masculine tilt. I loved it when I had it, but traded it away. I might have to revisit this one; but it ended up being like White Suede; something I liked but rarely wore.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com
    My Swap Thread | My Sale Thread
    Looking for Byredo Mojave Ghost... perhaps. But no decants please...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Because of how some of the recent aroma chemicals irritate me (at least in the amounts used in some scents), it's a bad blind buy for me, unless I could get all 3 for $48 total, at which point I'd be willing to take that chance.
    I like your option better.

Bought all 3 blind - No 1 is the winner so far, but all three are nice. If they had marketed them better, I think they would have sold at full price.
    I smell marshmallows!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Seems like a $20 cheapie at a discounter soon.
    I would think so too.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I would think so too.
    I doubt it. Coach boutiques are selling out of them at an alarming pace. I think once they're gone from the boutiques, they're gone for good.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I was looking at No. 2 online, but "baseball glove leather" turned me off, didn't bother making the trip.
    The note doesn't have to be bad if it's done right.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

The marketing who-ha mentions "baseball glove leather" for all three, but the leather accords are different to my nose. YMMV
    I smell marshmallows!

Thanks for the heads up. Ive sniffed them before, but don't remember much about them. Ill def revisit them at my local Coach store.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    All 3 are actually pretty nice. 02 is my favorite, and I just might snag a bottle before they are gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    Bought all 3 blind - No 1 is the winner so far, but all three are nice. If they had marketed them better, I think they would have sold at full price.
    Can you guys comment on No 2 and how it compares to 1 and 3? I am debating whether it is worth a blind buy

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    Can you guys comment on No 2 and how it compares to 1 and 3? I am debating whether it is worth a blind buy

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    Coach Leatherware No 2 is the lightest on my skin, though it has 'dark' aroma of black pepper-leather-musk-and a hint of bitter orange. 4 hours duration for 5 sprays on my forearm. HTH
    I smell marshmallows!

I went into my local mall today and the Coach store is closed!

Has anyone noticed that Coach No 1 shares opening notes with Bulgari Aqua? Some kind of seaweed accord...

Thanks for the heads-up. Went to my local mall today. Coach was sold out of no. 2. Had every intention of buying no. 3 but after the dry down was really drawn to no. 1. Reminded me of a more masculine Cuir Pleine Fleur. For $48 it was a great EdP buy. SA said they are definitely discontinuing and that store only had three bottles left. It is still available on the website, but shipping was $10.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    It's been a while since I have worn any of these 3, but from memory:

1) The lightest of the 3 - seems to lean much more citrus/nutty than the other 2. Nice, but nothing that stands out.
    2) Has a peppery vibe to it. I also pick up something of a boozy quality, something like a Lubin Idole quality to it to me.
    3) If you want something more along the lines of Tuscan Leather (a bit more of a rough raw leather), this should be the one you try. Not the powerhouse or opulence of Tuscan Leather, but it leans along those lines.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. Brückner - Aoud 1

Basenotes Institution

The most appealing thing about these to me is the bottles - they're beautiful.

I am not all that impressed by most Coach fragrances.
    "Human interaction can be hell. Or it can be a great spiritual practice."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Just wanted to update that I am getting 12 hours+ out of Coach No 3