Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Montblanc Legend

From nstperfume.com:

Montblanc will launch Montblanc Legend, a new fragrance for men, in April, although it is not expected to appear in the US until the summer. It will be the brand’s first fragrance under new licensing arrangements with Inter Parfums.

Legend was developed by perfumer Olivier Pescheux; the notes for the fresh fougère include lavender, bergamot, pineapple leaves, litsea cubeba, coumarin, geranium, apple, rose, Pomarose (a dried fruit note “reminiscent of rose and apple pie”), tonka bean, evernyl (mossy note) and sandalwood.

Montblanc Legend will be available in 30, 50 and 100 ml Eau de Toilette; the bottle was inspired by the Meisterstück pen.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: New Fragrance: Montblanc Legend

As the others from MontBlanc, i expect a good but not great fragrance, wich is very refined and modern.
    For sure will try.

I hope Legend would be less synthetic than the previous Montblanc's, but I'm afraid I'll be dissapointed A decent fougere scent with prominent mossy finish would be just great!

Will become part of my collection as soon as it is available.

Definitely worth a sniff from the description. But naturally, I am a man of optimism....

Sweet bottle.

Sur la Plage

It should be at Marshalls/TJ Maxx later this year.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It should be at Marshalls/TJ Maxx later this year.....
    They're probably already unloading them off the trucks now

I think every Mont Blanc scent has been a quality release, but not quite great. I guess Individuel is the best IMHO, while my wife probably liked Presence the best on me. I think they all smell very upscale, but not good enough to stay in my collection.

Yes, this looks promising. But the bottle is really one of the most handsome offerings in recent memory.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Blog Entries

Another company that takes a fougère with potential and ruins it with pineapple and apple.....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Sweet bottle.
    Yes. Sweet. Very Sweet.

I agree the bottle is lovely but the combo notes simply stunning too.. lets try it soon!

A review from the first person
    to try this, please!

Sure, the new tendency in the male perfumery is to make clones of Chanel's Egoiste Platinum. Last year we had Davidoff Champion, a cheap variation of EP, this year we have Montblanc Legend. The fragrance lies somewhat in the middle between EP and Davidoff Champion. It is not so agressive and synthetic as Champion, but at the same time it is sweeter and more fruity than EP. Would like to gladden those who are afraid of pineapples: the note of this fruit is not clear here, the scent is strong - and masculine in a modern tradition.

As for me I like Legend more than EP and DC (but I'm primordially fond of fruity scents). Ladies like Legend least of all.

The sillage is wonderful, the longevity is not impressive.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

I just saw this at Sephora - went ahead and sprayed some on my arm - decent scent, a bit boring, but I was pleasantly surprised. First thought was "This smells good... ", but I'm not sure if I'll buy it. Bottle is AWESOME!

I tried it yesterday too. VERY classy bottle, the sort you'd leave out in your bathroom when you have a new lady friend over... Just looks elegant.

As for the juice, it's pleasant but boring. Doesn't stand out from the generic mish mash out there.

Glad someone else already drew the comparison to Champion, as it instantly came to mind; everything from the smell, to the marketing, to the presentation.

It also reminds me of cK's Eternity, which I'll take any day over both the very forgettable Champion and Legend.
    Pleasant but unremarkable, and there's better out there for what it does.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    As for the juice, it's pleasant but boring. Doesn't stand out from the generic mish mash out there.
    I tried this today, and I agree. Just add it to the long, long list of others.......

I don't know what's up with the "Chanel Egöiste Platinum" template, I can count more than ten under that category, cheap and expensive smelling, you name it, there it is. It is, indeed, a well crafted scent as well as very beautiful, and as someone said before, more fruity and subtle than others of the type. However, not original at all.

Maybe it is one of the ways "safe scents" should smell.

totally a safe scent i agree, comfortable, nice, not so generic but nothing new, a mix of others with a minimal twist..i like it but i dont know if i could buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    The fragrance lies somewhat in the middle between EP and Davidoff Champion. It is not so agressive and synthetic as Champion, but at the same time it is sweeter and more fruity than EP. Would like to gladden those who are afraid of pineapples: the note of this fruit is not clear here
    Is the scent of Apple strong ? I very much like the idea of a lighter, fruitier Egoiste Platinum....as Egoiste Platinum is one I've been on the fence about owning for years now...i love the minty topnotes in Egoiste Platinum, dislike the excess Lavender, love the "cold florals", and the smooth, woody/patchouli/musk/floral drydown is excellent....i could see apple, rose, and bergamot really taking this framework where I might like it.

How strong is the coumarin/tonka bean ? Is it less sweet than other recent Mont Blanc launches ?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    notes for the fresh fougère include lavender, bergamot, pineapple leaves, litsea cubeba, coumarin, geranium, apple, rose, Pomarose (a dried fruit note “reminiscent of rose and apple pie”), tonka bean, evernyl (mossy note) and sandalwood.
    On second thought...This must be the first purposeful Aventus-clone. I just have a feeling. Sure Bergamot, Apple, Pineapple [leaves], and Rose are there. But the other listed notes reveal the exact same stuff as in Aventus.

First is Evernyl (the synthetic "flea-collar" moss note that is the main star of Aventus' drydown....Mont Blanc states it in the heart and drydown...meaning they probably flooded it with Evernyl. Next are the lavender and geranium (Linalool and geraniol), cubeb peppers (limonene, citral, phenol/smokey nuance), it just points all in that direction.

Tonka lovers?.....did they flood this one with Coumarin ?
    Are the dried fruit notes subtle or prominent ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I think every Mont Blanc scent has been a quality release, but not quite great. I guess Individuel is the best IMHO, while my wife probably liked Presence the best on me. I think they all smell very upscale, but not good enough to stay in my collection.
    +1. When I started this hobby I thought Individual was my holy grail! I'd just never smelled anything like the sweetened, floral juniper in there. In hindsight, I think Presence is better and unique. All ok, none great.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'll add one thing;

If I ever wanted to go with a cheaper PE knockoff, I'd go with this over Champion anyday. I pick up this disgusting, rotten, ever lingering salty note in Champion which I hate.

Other than that, practically identical.
    Oh, but the Legend bottle is also better than Champion's tacky dumbbell.

The bottle is worth buying, not the content! LOL

Basenotes Member

Rough crowd....I don't think it's bad at all! It's a great scent for around the office and the like. Not saying it's the best I own, but liking something "pretty good" seems to be a punishable offense around here....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Gray View Post
    Not saying it's the best I own, but liking something "pretty good" seems to be a punishable offense around here....
    If it's only "pretty good" after you just bought it, chances are you'll be bored of it 6 months from now unless you have a giant collection.

Just tried this at Nordstrom. The SA was excited to crack open a box. Nothing too special though. The heart reminded me a bit of Tommy and the top hinted at Platinum Égoïste. I can't say I was disappointed because I never expect much from mainstream releases, but this was totally underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    Just tried this at Nordstrom. The SA was excited to crack open a box. Nothing too special though. The heart reminded me a bit of Tommy and the top hinted at Platinum Égoïste. I can't say I was disappointed because I never expect much from mainstream releases, but this was totally underwhelming.
    I thought the same. And I like and own Presence and Individuel.

Dependent

I'd be concerned to die of low blood pressure to try this it sounds so deadly boring

Thumbs down Re: New Fragrance: Montblanc Legend

Tried this at Nordstrom today. One of the most boring, bland, and uninspiring fragrances I've tried in a long time.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by kappaz View Post
    Tried this at Nordstrom today. One of the most boring, bland, and uninspiring fragrances I've tried in a long time.
    + 1

But it hasn't been a long time for me - it's just like the majority of releases sitting on the shelves.

Blog Entries

Yeah - I tried this in Von Maur and was also underwhelmed. I tried this and Something Else, by Someone. I don't remember much about this one or the other, except that Something Else was somewhat better.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    On second thought...This must be the first purposeful Aventus-clone. I just have a feeling. Sure Bergamot, Apple, Pineapple [leaves], and Rose are there. But the other listed notes reveal the exact same stuff as in Aventus.

First is Evernyl (the synthetic "flea-collar" moss note that is the main star of Aventus' drydown....Mont Blanc states it in the heart and drydown...meaning they probably flooded it with Evernyl. Next are the lavender and geranium (Linalool and geraniol), cubeb peppers (limonene, citral, phenol/smokey nuance), it just points all in that direction.

Tonka lovers?.....did they flood this one with Coumarin ?
    Are the dried fruit notes subtle or prominent ?
    I was thinking the same thing the moment I saw the notes list - pineapple + apple is almost a dead giveaway. Aventus clone! I'd laugh if it smells just like a good Aventus and is batch consistent, but then gets hated on for being cheap or 'designer dreck'

I was walking through a mall being overloaded by the Abercrombie Fierce smell and my wife decided to shop at Lord and Taylor. I walked by men's cologne counter and smelled this. It was almost identical to the Fierce smell.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan