Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is there a frag that we all (or most) can agree on that smells great?

Since we are all individuals with different styles, tastes, etc there are always conflicting reviews for colognes (or anything for that matter). 2 reviews will say its the greatest thing ever and the next 2 will say its crap. Is there a fragrances thats widely regarded as good that most ppl hear can agree smells nice and possibly would wear? I see Green Irish Tweed is almost worshiped around here but is there anything else?

Default Re: Is there a frag that we all (or most) can agree on that smells great?

Impossible.

Theres some fragrances that please 90% of the people, but there will be always the others 10%. Or Vice Versa.

Maybe Vintage Tabarome will please 99%, but the 800usd per bottle dont please even 1% of them!

Default Re: Is there a frag that we all (or most) can agree on that smells great?

yea I know its impossible for a scent for EVERYBODY to 100% agree on. I mean is there something that most ppl find attractive. at least a 85% approval rate

+1 on GIT.

hmmm... would we all agree we like azzaro? i think its good across the board... but maybe some dont like it. chaps smells good, not my fav0rite, but i do like it. this is a good query!

I would love to check out GIT but i dont know of any stores here in NYC that sell it. I need to test it first. Its too expensive to blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by coney718 View Post
    I would love to check out GIT but i dont know of any stores here in NYC that sell it. I need to test it first. Its too expensive to blind buy.
    get a sample vial from ebay! hell, just buy it, if you dont love it ill buy it from you.

I know many people who don't care for powerful old-school scents like Vintage Tabarome and Azzaro. Then again I haven't met a person who doesn't like the smell of a fine natural cologne such as Guerlain' Imperiale. There are negative reviews, yes, but they are about lack of longevity.

coney, Saks Fifth Avenue has it, midtown, right near the door.

Is there a fragrance that we can all agree smells great?

I hope not. Because whatever it is probably isn't anything with more than a drop or two of mystery.

Most probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    coney, Saks Fifth Avenue has it, midtown, right near the door.
    Thanks. I'll check it out

I don't believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Is there a fragrance that we can all agree smells great?

I hope not.
    i dont know man, i think thats a pretty interesting question! imagine if we all decided there was one we all t5hought smelled good??? not to say its the best or everyones favorite or the true #1 or anything, just that we all LIKE it! i like this idea very much... the idea of agreeing with everyone all at once rather than disagreeing... cant you see the good in that?? plus, i betcha that cologne will sell better!

ive heard that sagamore smells great across the board too... just sayin...

you know why im so interested in getting everyone here to agree on something? because i have three kids. three kids who cant even be in the same room without ... aww, you Daddies know where im coming from.everyone liking something at once; itd be refreshing!

Azzaro Pour Homme 118 Positive Reviews • neutral 17 Reviews • negative 8 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by darren1 View Post
    you know why im so interested in getting everyone here to agree on something? because i have three kids. three kids who cant even be in the same room without ... aww, you Daddies know where im coming from.everyone liking something at once; itd be refreshing!
    haha I have 2 kids I know exactly what you mean.

For the record I havent met a woman yet that didnt like YSL L'Nuit or JPG Le Male. Both get tremendous compliments across the board when I wear it.

never tried l'nuit, but i will this weekend!

I'm one of the minority who doesn't like Azzaro at all. I think as close as you can get is GIT by Creed. I'm very sensitive to any harsh or rough ingredients in frags, and this one passes the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Azzaro Pour Homme 118 Positive Reviews • neutral 17 Reviews • negative 8 Reviews
    wow thats a pretty good ratio!

never tried l'nuit, but i will this weekend!
    Definitely check it out. I always wear it when I want to make a impression. Never fails to get a compliment. I know some say its overrated but ive had nothing but positive experiences with it...except that one time I sprayed too much on and gave myself a headache after a while, but that was my own fault lol

naw, no worrries about that with me! im cologne guy. the stronger the better! i will try it though... theres a bottle at macys ive been walking past for a while now. time to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    I know many people who don't care for powerful old-school scents like Vintage Tabarome and Azzaro. Then again I haven't met a person who doesn't like the smell of a fine natural cologne such as Guerlain' Imperiale. There are negative reviews, yes, but they are about lack of longevity.
    Right on with this. I don't think that anyone would find Guerlain Imperiale unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Is it really that good or is it getting these high marks because its a "classic" and respected by fragrance lovers? does it smell dated or for older people? if it came out today under a different name, would it still be embraced?
    sometimes i feel like some of these get great marks for classic and for nostalgic purposes, but im curious how the scent would stand alone. (i've never smelled it but thought about picking it up)

another one i noticed that has a great ratio is Burberry London
    105 Positive Reviews • neutral34 Neutral Reviews • negative 7 Negative Reviews
    never smelled this one either but im going to soon. seems like the guys like this one but im not sure if the ladies do?

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Amouage homage

Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by scratch & sniff View Post
    Is it really that good or is it getting these high marks because its a "classic" and respected by fragrance lovers? does it smell dated or for older people? if it came out today under a different name, would it still be embraced?
    sometimes i feel like some of these get great marks for classic and for nostalgic purposes, but im curious how the scent would stand alone. (i've never smelled it but thought about picking it up)
    Azzaro PH is really that good. If Montale released Azzaro pour Homme today and called it "Djibouti Ochre" Basenoters would be hocking their Rolexes to buy it.

I'm not sure if it's a great candidate for a fragrance that everyone would immediately like though - I hated it when I first tried it, I thought it was a sour, acrid mess. That opinion changed quite dramatically, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    Kouros
    Now you're just being mischevious!

Burberry London?

The Creed Boutique is located in NYC
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Blog Entries

I'd like to say Chanel Pour Monsieur (not Concentrée), but then again not everyone has tried the original.

Eau Sauvage is pretty like-able.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

...smells like a GIT thread here...

Perhaps a frag with mild notes that are universally viewed as pleasant would satisfy almost everyone. I would say it smells nice, but I probably would never wear it, though.

Basenotes Institution

I never wanted anyone to agree with me on BN that something 'smells great'...since this is not why I wear the fragrances I wear.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Put aside any snobbery, highness or desire to be so radically different: Aqua di Gio

As soon as everyone agrees something is great, I'll dislike it for that reason.

Further, I just don't believe there's anything everyone agrees is great.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

Further, I just don't believe there's anything everyone agrees is great.
    How about something like ending poverty?
    Or increasing everyone's standard of living at no cost to anybody?
    Or happiness?

(Yeah, off-topic. Sue me)

I know where you're coming from though, DustB. Sounds like an Underground Man kind of argument (Dostoyevsky, if you're wondering), but if you think about it, it's not a very strong objection...

"Disliking" a perfume for the reason you gave does not equal thinking that the perfume does not smell great.

This will never happen at basenotes.....If a scent is popular and smells fantastic it will be in trouble for sure at basenotes!!! And this I do not understand.....at all.....Gary

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Is there a frag that we all (or most) can agree on that smells great?

Perhaps not everyone, but truly the devoted consider she, who has lived long and smells great; I speak of Mitsouko, her warshippers are many and her religion is mystery.

No stores in NYC- are you kidding? Go to Bergdorf Goodman on 5th Avenue. Or the Creed Boutique. You're in the only city in North America with a Creed Boutique.

To the original question. All is a really big word. No one scent will be universally liked. Wear what you like and don't look for consensus.

... the idea of agreeing with everyone all at once rather than disagreeing... cant you see the good in that??......
    No.

Sometimes people express their desire for a less diverse Universe. They long for a place where there are not so many unwanted things; a place where more things are exactly as they prefer them to be. But you did not come into this physical experience wanting to take all of the experiences that exist and whittle them down to a handful of good things upon which all of you agree - for that would lead to endedness, which can not be. This is an expanding Universe, and all things must be allowed. In other words, for you to understand and experience what you desire, you must understand that which you do NOT desire...for, in order to choose and be able to focus, both must be present and understood.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    No stores in NYC- are you kidding? Go to Bergdorf Goodman on 5th Avenue. Or the Creed Boutique. You're in the only city in North America with a Creed Boutique.

To the original question. All is a really big word. No one scent will be universally liked. Wear what you like and don't look for consensus.
    I know there had to be places in NYC that sells it I just didnt know any off hand. im somewhat new to the fragrance world and never been to any of the high end stores to look. All of my cologne purchases have either been from Sephora or Macys, and once at Bloomingdales.

I know there had to be places in NYC that sells it I just didnt know any off hand. im somewhat new to the fragrance world and never been to any of the high end stores to look. All of my cologne purchases have either been from Sephora or Macys, and once at Bloomingdales.
    You're in a city with tons of places that sell many of the scents you see referenced in here. Just google search or ask. Where Creed is sold varies from city to city. Pretty sure Bergdorf will have it. Maybe Saks as well. Certainly the Creed Boutique. You should hit Bergdorf, Saks and Barneys. They'll have a ton of the high end scents you'll see referenced here.

There is also a store in New York called Aedes de Venustas that sells many of the niche scents in here that most everyone can only buy online. http://www.aedes.com/

I could be wrong, but I think the king of "brick and mortar" niche scent sales is probably Lucky Scents Scent Bar in Los Angeles.

Grey Flannel
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Easily, La Nuit YSL and Allure Homme Sport

Acqua di parma colonia

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    No.

Sometimes people express their desire for a less diverse Universe. They long for a place where there are not so many unwanted things; a place where more things are exactly as they prefer them to be. But you did not come into this physical experience wanting to take all of the experiences that exist and whittle them down to a handful of good things upon which all of you agree - for that would lead to endedness, which can not be. This is an expanding Universe, and all things must be allowed. In other words, for you to understand and experience what you desire, you must understand that which you do NOT desire...for, in order to choose and be able to focus, both must be present and understood.
    these are not the droids you are looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post

that is, quite possibly, the worst reason for anything ive ever heard! man youre going to miss out on lots of things that youll regret when youre done being cool. or whatever youre affecting. re: star wars, leather jackets, stone walls, scantily clad women, pizza, steely dan, levis, kouros, bathroom doors that lock, sunshine, good health, BREATHING... i know, i threw a couple things in there... kouros... not liked by everybody.
    Last edited by darren1; 26th February 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: bad spelling

+1 on Azzaro and GIT. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme gets some love in the BN reviews. I like it alot, but it doesn't make the earth shake. I believe there is not a single frag that we all (or most) can agree smells great. Hell, I don't even agree with myself most of the time.

"Great" is a very high standard.

I think we'd all agree that the vast majority of designer scents smell "good," and that many niches do as well. Acqua di Gio, as previously mentioned, is as widely likable (distinguished from lovable) as any scent in the history of western civilization.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Banned

maybe acqua di gio ? or creed git ?

Is there a frag that we all (or most) can agree on that smells great? - no I don't think so. Good or decent yes probably but great no.

Hardly possible, yet so far, Creed Aventus seems to get an almost unanimous good press here on BN

fountain

there's no such frag, imo.

Eau Sauvage ?.......No 5 ?
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Hell no to GIT. Super hell no to Azzaro PH. The fragrance does not exist.

Azzaro works very well for me and is a compliment monster.

nevermind guys. if enough of us "like" something there are those who will nix it. just because too many people like it. ya know, thats nice...if enough people get on the same idea train, someone else will derail it. because he doesnt like the fact that everybody likes the same thing. i cant believe that you actually admitted that youd not like it just because everyone else does. thats really great.