Code of Conduct

Default Seeking a Lavender Dominated Eau de Cologne, Any Suggestions?

Any Lavender themed EdCs out there? Would love something classic, but with better longevity than say, Guerlain's du Coq. Thanks.

Default Re: Seeking a Lavender Dominated Eau de Cologne, Any Suggestions?

I haven't tested it but Puig's agua lavanda is highly praised.

There aren't too many clear lavender type eau de colognes because lavender is such a fleeting note. If you really enjoy a good, clear lavender, I would suggest Caldey Island Lavender as the best cologne type as it is pure lavender with a little musk though it hasn't much better longevity than a citrus cologne. For a more complex, but still exceedingly enjoyable lavender, I would suggest d'Orsay's Arome 3, Royal Scottish Lavender, Patou Homme Prive, Haute Provence, or even Caron pour un Homme if you can stomach the vanilla and gourmand flavor.

not an Eau but have you tried Czech & Speake - Oxford and Cambridge? that's a nice clean minty lavender with EdC strength.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I'm wearing Pour Un Homme as I type this - love it. I'm tempted to buy Creed's RSL, I've never tried Aqua Lavande, good suggestion, love Oxford and Cambridge, Caldey Island intrigues me, but everyone says it has no tenacity. Keep the suggestions coming, thanks!

Mouchoir de Monsieur, an EDT with modest projection and longevity.

Try to find a spray version of Agua Lavanda by Puig. It is almost pure lavender to my nose and lasts most of the day on me.

I think RSL is a very good choice. The overall effect is quite similar to Caron though the ingredients are better quality and it is a bit animalic, but nowhere near as animalic as MdM. But I certainly think you owe it to yourself to try Arome 3 or at least take a look at the reviews.

Creed's RSL is pretty good. you may also want to sample Azzaro Pure Lavende.. im sure you would've..if not, it's worth a try.

Sur la Plage

Tom Ford Lavender Palm
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

Seriously, Nicolai pour Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I was going to suggest Oxford & Cambridge too. It actually has good longevity (6-7 hours) on me, but sprayed liberally.

D R Harris Old English Lavender Water. Quite a nice traditional English lavender. Very light though and probably doesn't have the longevity you're after.

I get big lavender in Monsieur de Givenchy, on equal footing with the citrus in this, more or less. It's a minimalist composition wit a very light drydown and surprising longevity. Perhaps a possibility.

Regards,
    T

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

This one is really good and not that expensive.

D'Orsay Arome 3 Tradition fits the bill. One of my fav Edc.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

L'Occitane always has some great lavender products that smell like true, fresh lavender. They had a whole lavender-themed event at Rockefeller center a few years back for the Provence lavender harvest and I picked up an AOC Lavender EDT that was my absolute favorite thing, no kidding...and then they promptly discontinued it. (their current lavender EDT in the tall bottle is a lot weaker and not as complex as the one i had, no comparison). I just always keep my eye on L'Occitane though because they always seem to be coming out with new lavender things...
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Has anyone tried Andy Tauer's Reverie au Jardin? Supposedly it's lavender centric. Ordering samples from Lucky Scent of this and Nicolai pour Homme. Confused about the D'Orsay: Arome 3 or Arome 3 Tradition? I think I'm one of the few Basenoters that gets totally bored by Mouchoir de Monsieur, had it and sold it. Already have been through a bottle of Jicky. Thanks for the continued suggestions.

D'Orsay Arome 3 Tradition fits the bill. One of my fav Edc.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post

Try to find a spray version of Agua Lavanda by Puig. It is almost pure lavender to my nose and lasts most of the day on me.
    +1... fully agree...pure lavender with a very very small hint of piney note

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    D'Orsay Arome 3 Tradition
    This one although it's a EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Has anyone tried Andy Tauer's Reverie au Jardin? Supposedly it's lavender centric. Ordering samples from Lucky Scent of this and Nicolai pour Homme. Confused about the D'Orsay: Arome 3 or Arome 3 Tradition? I think I'm one of the few Basenoters that gets totally bored by Mouchoir de Monsieur, had it and sold it. Already have been through a bottle of Jicky. Thanks for the continued suggestions.
    I've not tried Tradition, but vintage Arome 3 (green pinstripe box) is heavenly with a beautiful lavender-floral-spice accord. On par with Patou Homme Prive.

Basenotes Institution

Well, the ultimate lavender prominent EdC for me will always be vintage Jicky EdC, but that's discontinued and gets snatched up quickly whenever I see it on Ebay.

So...instead I wholeheartedly recommend Caldey Island Lavender. I think the longevity is average, especially if you apply with a heavy hand. And it's so affordable, much more so than the C&S or Creed.

p.s. - I own and LOVE Nicolai Pour Homme, but honestly I don't think of it as a 'Lavender Dominated EdC'...to me it's more of a light, masculine oriental. It's very spicy.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Caron's "Les plus belles lavandes de Caron" fits the bill for a straight lavender. It's beautiful lavender, very simple but refined. Like Yardley, but leagues beyond in terms of quality.

+1s:

Parfum D'Orsay Arome Trois (old version)
    Caron Pour Un Homme
    L'Occitane AOC Lavender
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I would agree with Mike Perez that Caldey Island Lavender is probably your best bet for a true lavender. It's lavender oil is practically on par with RSL and probably better than Oxford & Cambridge. I've sampled Caldey and will probably spring for a bottle once I recoup from recent purchases.

Here's the thing: EDC and great longevity don't go together. If you're ready to step up to an EDP with outstanding longevity, may I suggest Gris Clair by Serge Lutens? It's definately worth a sniff if you like fresh lavender.

Has anyone tried Andy Tauer's Reverie au Jardin? Supposedly it's lavender centric.
    I had a sample of RaJ a few years ago. I kept on testing it several times with one or two sprays each time, but it still didn't register as what exactly it was. It was very muddled and confusing. Finally, one day I got frustrated and sprayed the entire sample on me. It started out with an extremely medicinal yet semi-sweet lavender. And it just kept getting sweeter and more powdery, but in a really, really good way. The drydown was HEAVENLY! I still remember the morning I woke up and I was surrounded by the orris-ambergris base of RaJ. I longed for a bottle ever since...
    It starts lavender-centric, but after a couple of minutes, it goes berserk! And it fabulous!
    PS: I've read that it's related somehow to Tauer's long gone Orris, which I haven't smelt.

Acqua di Parma Lavanda Tonica perhaps?
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Basenotes Institution

Kevin, I'd love to hear if you've tried any of these & found your lavender dominated EdC yet?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lavandula by Penhalligons.

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    Lavandula by Penhalligons.
    I tried this at Aedes last week, nice stuff. This may move to the head of the class. I'm still debating whether I should order the Caldey Island - it would be nice to have something in place for spring weather.
    Mike, I kind of got sidetracked from my lavender quest by a little research and purchase of Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta.

Basenotes Institution

I tried this at Aedes last week, nice stuff. This may move to the head of the class. I'm still debating whether I should order the Caldey Island - it would be nice to have something in place for spring weather.
    Mike, I kind of got sidetracked from my lavender quest by a little research and purchase of Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta.
    Ah...I totally understand. Good stuff, I owned (and quickly went thru) a bottle of that years ago. One of Ellena's pre-Hermes standouts IMO.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ah...I totally understand. Good stuff, I owned (and quickly went thru) a bottle of that years ago. One of Ellena's pre-Hermes standouts IMO.
    Just got off the Caldey Island website and ordered a bottle - thanks for getting me focused!

Just got off the Caldey Island website and ordered a bottle - thanks for getting me focused!
    You have made a very good purchase with the Caldey Island Lavender Kevin. I love wearing this because the focus is on the flowery aspect of lavender instead of the stringent medicinal aspect of lavender which you get in a lot of lavenders.

I have been wearing it before sleep and it is soothing and really helps you unwind. I'm also looking forward to the real hot weather as I think this one will shine. I always find that with a lavender fragrance you get more benefits than just a good scent.

if you can find it still, Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours is good. I have a few different lavender scents, and this one has a great opening, braced in the evolution by some classic Guerlain magic. longevity is solid, and when I spray it just before bedtime, I can smell it the next morning.
    and, if I'm not mistaken, it's the only of the AAs that Jean-Paul created.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    if you can find it still, Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours is good. I have a few different lavender scents, and this one has a great opening, braced in the evolution by some classic Guerlain magic. longevity is solid, and when I spray it just before bedtime, I can smell it the next morning.
    and, if I'm not mistaken, it's the only of the AAs that Jean-Paul created.
    I agree with everything you say. I had a bottle a few years ago, but ended up selling it. While I found it breathtakingly beautiful, it was just too rich for me. Perhaps I need to revisit it, my nose is much more sophisticated than it was.

Haute Provence by Parfums de Nicolaï is rich, deep, creamy lavender, with better strength and longevity than the average eau de cologne. It's really beautiful.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Basenotes Institution

Oh good. I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

I'll have to send you some AA Lavande Velours to re-smell. If you remember, my bottle I bought was from you.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I am sure you will love Caldey--I do. I plan to buy a bottle someday after I acquire some more lavender dominated aromatic fougeres. I will have to give AA Lavande Velours some more thought.

The website says that it takes up to 21 days for US delivery, I may forget that I ordered it before it even arrives. I am looking forward to finally trying owning/trying it.

Airmail from the UK takes about 7 business days but can take longer. They don't want to make any guarantees about transit time.

Hermessence Brin de Reglisse is another interesting if you like seweet licorice anise notes ...
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

I don't know if this qualifies as an Eau de Cologne, but Brioni by Brioni is a very well tailored lavender scent.

The website says that it takes up to 21 days for US delivery, I may forget that I ordered it before it even arrives. I am looking forward to finally trying owning/trying it.
    What's the verdict then?

Thumbs up Re: Seeking a Lavender Dominated Eau de Cologne, Any Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    + 1
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes