Code of Conduct

Default Question about Aventus from a novice of it

I have a lot of experience with fragrances, but not too much with Aventus. From what I remember when I tried it a couple times previously was that I got a lot of fruit in the opening. When I went into Neiman Marcus earlier today to try it down, I got a lot of tobacco. Unfortunately, it was cigarette/ashtray tobacco, which isn't that appealing. I'm wondering if Aventus has such bad batch variations, or if I somehow missed the overbearing tobacco the first couple times I tried it?

Default Re: Question about Aventus from a novice of it

Yes, Aventus apparently does have bad batch variations. Those "bad batches" have precisely the ash opening that you describe.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

I actually read the entire "Aventus batch numbers" thread, and was surprised at how BIG of an issue this is. Kind of sad that Creed can't get consistency with their batches.

I have never gotten that ashy-tobacco feeling from Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have never gotten that ashy-tobacco feeling from Aventus.
    How many bottles have you tried? What are the lot numbers?

Creed needs to get their crap act together already. I like my sample of Aventus, but the last time I tried it at the store I got nothing but smokey trash.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    How many bottles have you tried? What are the lot numbers?

Creed needs to get their crap act together already. I like my sample of Aventus, but the last time I tried it at the store I got nothing but smokey trash.
    Yeah, CREED really needs to get it together.
    Some here claim it needs to "age", and that the ash note will go away. lol
    I hope so, 2 of my Aventus bottles I really like. Then a more recent bottle not so much. Guess I'll let that one "age". lol

I would think if you follow what has been written already you'll be okay. Only one batch I know for sure to avoid and I'm thinking that was the one I smelled when I first tried Aventus and thought I had instant olfactory habituation. The most recent batch I've sampled A42B10K03 indicates to me that Creed is on track--coudn't find a flacon with that batch# though. There is a slight extra punch to the top in that one. C42B10J01 is extremely satisfying and complete, however, and there are flacons of it available in the Nordstrom system right now. Other places have been out of flacons of Aventus for a while. I have never got tobacco from Aventus (ever try Charles Street?). Good luck.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    I have a lot of experience with fragrances, but not too much with Aventus. From what I remember when I tried it a couple times previously was that I got a lot of fruit in the opening. When I went into Neiman Marcus earlier today to try it down, I got a lot of tobacco. Unfortunately, it was cigarette/ashtray tobacco, which isn't that appealing. I'm wondering if Aventus has such bad batch variations, or if I somehow missed the overbearing tobacco the first couple times I tried it?

Very Disappointing!

I have an early batch and can't imagine a tobacco accord in it at all, it is nowhere close to that. It is a really nice frag, I like it a lot. Too bad Creed is having these issues.

An earlier sample of Aventus I received was very fruity. I still get it with the recent batches, but it isn't as dominant or strong. I think Creed tweaked the formulation with the recent batches, so Aventus is a little more balanced. The smoke in Aventus comes from the birch tar note, I believe, not from any tobacco note, and it's suppose to smell like that, it's not a bad batch.

The strong fruity/tart/metallic notes of the first batches......A4210E01 particularly.............I felt were below CREED's qualitative standard. But so are original santal and several contemporary women's scents.....and the reformulation of MI.....

And while I do appreciate the strong base of batch C42B10J01....the ashy birch is too apparent, too naked, too quicky....and I feel the currant/apple/metallic/tart top notes should be increased in concentration to make this ashiness less readily apparent so soon.....even though I am not a big fan of the "synthetic quality" of the fruitiness....I feel a combo of the strong, lasting fruitiness of A4210E01 with the strong masculine base of C42B10J01 would be the best version of aventus creed could offer up.

Sorry, I would share my experience about this, but even beginning to criticize Creed seems to be a largely risky proposition these days.

It doesn't matter how substantiated one's impressions are, it doesn't matter how politely one puts them in words, simply discussing Creed in a critical vein seems to go against the local Bible or something. It attracts insults, threats, and punishments, both public and private.

Therefore, I hope the following... "creed" is acceptable:

Aventus is the greatest fragrant creation since Mary Magdalene's anointing oil. There's no difference between batches. Whatever your own experience is, you are whining about imaginary inconsistencies. You should be thankful. Hail Creed.

Amen.
    Aventus is really only Vintage Tabarome's (or Vintage-Vintage Tabarome if you have green bottles with amber perfume in them) destitute, bastard cousin anyway. Love, possum7

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    The strong fruity/tart/metallic notes of the first batches......A4210E01 particularly.............I felt were below CREED's qualitative standard. But so are original santal and several contemporary women's scents.....and the reformulation of MI.....

And while I do appreciate the strong base of batch C42B10J01....the ashy birch is too apparent, too naked, too quicky....and I feel the currant/apple/metallic/tart top notes should be increased in concentration to make this ashiness less readily apparent so soon.....even though I am not a big fan of the "synthetic quality" of the fruitiness....I feel a combo of the strong, lasting fruitiness of A4210E01 with the strong masculine base of C42B10J01 would be the best version of aventus creed could offer up.
    A fragrance shouldn't be so complicated, its just a fragrance not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by somejoe13f View Post
    A fragrance shouldn't be so complicated, its just a fragrance not rocket science.
    I do agree to some extent. Aventus doesn't need to be perfected, just more consistent so the customer knows what they're going to get. There is no such thing as perfection especially in fragrances. Different people, different senses, different preferences. You change one thing, then X portion of people get angry while Y portion like the change. You can say "do what makes most happy." But you really can't test that accurately without Cross-sectional like studies.

Anyways, your comment may ruffle some connoisseur feathers...I'll get ready for the show.

Last edited by G Man; 11th March 2011 at 08:19 AM.