Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default L'Air du Desert Marocain

I had a chance to smell this one today and got a sample. I have not worn it to see where it goes, but based on the paper this is a really nice subtle scent. I was testing it side by side with Divine L'Homme Sage which is anoth outstanding scent, but I think I like the Tauer scent better. Well, I got samples of both and I will test them this weekend and make up my mind. I am sure in the end I will have both of them.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel
    Currently wearing: Lonesome Rider by Tauer

Blog Entries

Smile Re: L'Air du Desert Marocain

L'Air du Desert Morocain springs from the devine and exists on the skin with the beauty of the desert wind; it is the stuff of legends, which I find amazing. What greater testament may I impart?

Default Re: L'Air du Desert Marocain

Well, I'm not quite as inspired as N Tesla, but I agree that it's a really good frag! I've been wanting to buy a bottle for awhile. Great dry, dusty, incensy, ambery frag, smells fantastic especially in hot weather!

It is a superb perfume. Dry and burnt winds gusting over me and yest somehow fresh and invigorating.

L'Air du Desert Morocain springs from the devine and exists on the skin with the beauty of the desert wind; it is the stuff of legends, which I find amazing. What greater testament may I impart?
    couldn't agree more..........one of my first niche blind buys, and one that will always be in my rotation. STUNNING!

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    I had a chance to smell this one today and got a sample. I have not worn it to see where it goes, but based on the paper this is a really nice subtle scent. I was testing it side by side with Divine L'Homme Sage which is anoth outstanding scent, but I think I like the Tauer scent better. Well, I got samples of both and I will test them this weekend and make up my mind. I am sure in the end I will have both of them.
    If I can offer some criticism, I wouldn't call it subtle - in fact it's about as 'subtle' as a sledgehammer!

It's a very well made scent and I have a sample too and have been wearing it (or attempting to wear it more like) lately. The problem is it's massively powerful in a turpentine/tonka sort of way and it stays right under your nose and (everyone else's) for the whole day. You can't get away from the smell, fine though it may be. This is okay if you like this overwhelming effect but I like perfume to stay close to the skin and occasionally 'waft' up rather stay there like a brick wall all day (and annoy others).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    If I can offer some criticism, I wouldn't call it subtle - in fact it's about as 'subtle' as a sledgehammer!

It's a very well made scent and I have a sample too and have been wearing it (or attempting to wear it more like) lately. The problem is it's massively powerful in a turpentine/tonka sort of way and it stays right under your nose and (everyone else's) for the whole day. You can't get away from the smell, fine though it may be. This is okay if you like this overwhelming effect but I like perfume to stay close to the skin and occasionally 'waft' up rather stay there like a brick wall all day (and annoy others).
    You're absolutely correct. The trick is with the application. I tend to be heavy handed but I learned the hard way with this gem. Max 2 sprays. Always. No exceptions!

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunter View Post
    You're absolutely correct. The trick is with the application. I tend to be heavy handed but I learned the hard way with this gem. Max 2 sprays. Always. No exceptions!
    I'm applying microscopic amounts. I reckon the 1 ml vial will last me a year....

Honestly, I never smelled any of the things that people always describe in it. No wind. No dust. No desert. And I live in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post

I am testing today and you are correct in that it is not subtle. However, it is not as strong as Absolue pour le Soir. I have about a .5 ml sample and I used it all. Seems about the right dose for my skin. I am not overpowering anyone. My wife had to get close to smell it. I like it. I am looking forward to L'Homme Sage tomorrow and then deciding which one to get.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel
    Currently wearing: Lonesome Rider by Tauer

I've owned both of the ones you are considering. I kept LADDM. The other one just faded away on me.

Yes, two sprays is proper.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Honestly, I never smelled any of the things that people always describe in it. No wind. No dust. No desert. And I live in the desert.
    Yes, I agree. It's all about the marketing - the images and the name. If you call a perfume 'Dune' or 'Air of the desert' people automatically associate images with the scent and assume they're smelling a piece of the desert when there is absolutely no resemblance what-so-ever. It's just auto-suggestion.

I wore three sprays of this today. Wow, I forgot how much I love it! I might be knocking some people over with it, but my wife said it was fine this AM. She said it smelled good, and that she smelled it before she opened the door to our bedroom!

MMMMMM, this is tasty! Had a great day in Erolfa yesterday and and the roll continues today.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

L'Air du Desert Marocain is no doubtedly a top quality fragrance. I'm not keen on the top notes though, I love the dry down.

If you like this one you should also try Le Labo's Labdanum!
    Please see my "wanted samples thread"
    Looking for decants of French Lover and Chergui.

I got a tester a couple of weeks back. So far I think: 1) It's expensive, 2) It smells like creosote and 3) It gives me a headache.

(Though it's possible that I'm over applying it as 'massive over-application' is my default setting with all frags.)
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Turns out that's right: microscopic applications are the key. I've had about half-a-dozen full-on full wears out of a 1.5ml tester - and even with this amount figuring out how to dial it back enough has been a challenge: it's absolutely the most powerful frag I've ever come across. Eau de toilette intense? No fragging way, Batman: it's an ultra-concentrated parfum!
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

A very fine scent IMO.

One of the best scents I have ever smelled in my entire life!! G O R G E O U S !!

Very nice and different than anything I own. May be a future purchase for me.

A real Masteripece!! I love it and it's unique!! I prefer drydown than top notes, a must have! Sure!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    A real Masteripece!!= I prefer drydown than top notes, a must have! Sure!
    Spot on Francesco!

AromiErotici

Nice fragrance. I never got the desert thing either, but a name means nothing to me as long as the fragrance is g2g.

I get a smoky amber with spice inside a citric accord. Just enough wood and vanilla after the opening to enhance the transitions.

Well, i'm willing to make a couple of quality "last purchases" (i'll stop buying like crazy, i need some time to enjoy my current wardrobe, and by the way save some money for future purchases). One will be HdP Casanova.

L'air du desert marocain is on my list, but the problem is that I don't get the strenght, longevity and sillage i read from basenoters. My main complain is that i don't get that much longevity or sillage, don't know if it's fatigue or something. I'll keep sampling it, APOM or Marquis de Sade are winning the competition by now.
    Last edited by Postumo; 5th October 2011 at 02:40 PM.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really enjoy its dry incensed quality and see some similarities with l´homme sage´s style.
    Glorious Bastards
    Opium pour homme edp
    Rive gauche
    Knize ten
    M7 fresh
    M7

And don't get me wrong, the blend is fantastic, the smell is unique, i'm not complaining about it, just need to check better longevity and sillage. Maybe it's not working on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    L'air du desert marocain is on my list, but the problem is that I don't get the strenght, longevity and sillage i read from basenotERS.
    Apologies, but that must be something wrong with your skin, LDM is a beast man!

Bonoanimoes, you're right, when i spray on my hand i feel it strong. I'll wear it soon to see if i get a better experience, i'll try to figure out if it's a problem of nasal fatigue.

I think L'Air du Desert does not live up to the hype around it. To me, it is a very good amateur attempt to conjure some sort of oud-amber, it is heavy, sticky, smoky and none of them in a good way. A very clever niche marketing, Turin's praise and it's done. In my opinion, it's heavy, not balanced in top notes and dry down, the sillage is not calibrated, the bottle is hideous, and I can go on and on Anyone agrees?
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I got samples of both a while back. At first I liked L'Air du Desert Morocain, but after an hour or so I started getting tired of it. A couple hours later it really bothered me. On the other hand, L'Homme Sage starts out nice, lasts forever on my skin, begins and stays subtle, and I still enjoy it at the end of the day. Different tastes I guess, but one was abrasive to me while the other is a pleasure to my senses.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    Anyone agrees?
    Not on a single account.