Code of Conduct

Thread: Black Aoud

Default Black Aoud

I ordered sample of Black Aoud and really like. It is almost perfect and its tremendous sillage and longevity certainly makes it one of best fragrances I ever sampled. When I wear it I feel like million bucks but still, I am not sure if I could pull it off in work or If i'd wear it more than few times per month.

On my girlfriend it was absolutely stunning (she has long black hairs, brown eyes) and almost pure rose.

Anyway... my favourite part of Black Aoud is well... aoud.. i dont care that much for rose but it is still very wearable rose for men.

Now I am not sure if I should order full bottle of Black Aoud or just buy decant and keep sampling Montale line for something that has more aoud and less rose and will be more wearable for me.

My questions:

1. Any other Montale has strength and longevity of Black Aoud but less rose and maybe more aoud and spices?

2. How does YSL M7 compares to Black Aoud? I can buy 80% 1,7oz bottle for 24 Euros which sounds like good deal to me.. but for same price I can get 10ml decant of Black Aoud.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Default Re: Black Aoud

I've bought a 5ml decant of Black Aoud 6 months ago. It's at the half because I don't have the guts to spray more than one spray on chest, and I also love this scent so think before buying a full bottle.

In my case, the occasions I want to wear this are rare, so I think this 5ml will last a year for sure.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Kabul aoud but thats exclusive to the UAE only. Its incense ,aoud and a hint of iris.

for swap/sale:

@hedonist An aoud montale that you like? I'm interested.

I think if I were to buy a bottle of Black Aoud it'd probably last me a lifetime. It's just so strong! I'm thinking about 5ml decants of most of them

Only reason I'd buy full bottle is just so I can decant it later if it is too much for me to use. But question remains if there is something from Montale that I might like more than Black Aoud. Sampling all their fragrances would be kinda expensive so I am looking for some direction.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Kabul aoud but thats exclusive to the UAE only. Its incense ,aoud and a hint of iris.
    Hey hedonist, sent you a PM, get back to me when you get a chance. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    How does YSL M7 compares to Black Aoud?
    IMO, M7 kick black ouds ass in every way less in longevity.
    I dont like BO , but even liking me , M7 is a unquestionable masterpiece that emerge triumphant over BO.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    IMO, M7 kick black ouds ass in every way less in longevity.
    I dont like BO , but even liking me , M7 is a unquestionable masterpiece that emerge triumphant over BO.
    Thank you. I sampled M7 just more than 1 year ago and on test strip only which I trashed after 10 minutes so I dont remember how it smells . It was not bad but I was in different stage of my "fragrance life", so It was maybe too hard for me to appreciate it (I remember that I sampled Terre d'Hermes that day too and wasnt impressed, now I own decant of Terre which I like lot!)

What I am afraid about M7 is sweetness. How sweet it is compared to lets say Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, A*Men, Le Male etc.. ? I'd prefer it to be less sweet than them. Also I love vetiver note. How strong is vetiver note in M7?
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Give Auod lime a try.

Cmax...

What I am afraid about M7 is sweetness. How sweet it is compared to lets say Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, A*Men, Le Male etc.. ? I'd prefer it to be less sweet than them. Also I love vetiver note. How strong is vetiver note in M7?
    if you like vetiver note, youll love M7. (not the same but has that dark/woody feeling)
    No worries man!! M7 has a woody sweetness (very appealing and masculine) , nothing in commun with the list you mentioned

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Hey hedonist, sent you a PM, get back to me when you get a chance. Thanks
    I got it. Need to confirm availability.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    @hedonist An aoud montale that you like? I'm interested.
    Haha this made me laugh and feel all warm on the inside. People recognize my preferences now.

I feel I may given the wrong idea about Montale and myself. I appreciate his art in creating different unique perfumes but i wish he would use better Oud.

Kabul Aoud is a a really nice perfume. Plenty of incense mixed with appropriate amounts of oud, non-white florals and not rose either. Perhaps Iris and light woods (says cedar on the launch article).

for swap/sale:

Perhaps Original Aoud.

I second Aoud Lime, much less rose, and some saffron, together with the usual strong oud. but many others are worthy too. Oud Cuir d'Arabie especially, if you like a little bit of leather (think Dzing!); doesn't get any more masculine than this.

Re M7, it is quite different. To me, it's more woody-fuzzy, and kind of dark. It is not sweet in the usual sense, but it has a touch of cherry and candied fruits up top, a note which oud itself has. I like it and the price you say is really good, but it is has a different feel from the more assertive Montales.

cacio

I only get about 2hrs out of Black Aoud. Wait, don't hang up, hrs 1-8 all I get is a heavy, cloying, offensive synthetic rose blast. In about the ninth/tenth hour, the rose settles somewhat and becomes more tolerable, this rose is mixed with a powdery musk feel and some woods. Those are the two hrs I enjoy, after that it goes off into smelling like body odor.
    M7, for me, starts out assertive and masculine, yet less powerful than BA, with a somewhat fruit top, almost the smell of a good sangria.shortly after this gels with the woods, even of I had never seen the bottle the aura of M7 is dark red IMO. M7, IMO, is a much better smelling, and feeling fragrance than BA, it is much more wearable, sexy, and downright seductive. Also, to my nose, the Oud note in M7 is detectable, whereas in BA, I cannot find it.

I cant imagine wearing BA in an office setting. A full bottle would last me 5 lifetimes. Not your everyday scent so i think a decant is the way to go .

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    I only get about 2hrs out of Black Aoud. Wait, don't hang up, hrs 1-8 all I get is a heavy, cloying, offensive synthetic rose blast. In about the ninth/tenth hour, the rose settles somewhat and becomes more tolerable, this rose is mixed with a powdery musk feel and some woods. Those are the two hrs I enjoy, after that it goes off into smelling like body odor.
    M7, for me, starts out assertive and masculine, yet less powerful than BA, with a somewhat fruit top, almost the smell of a good sangria.shortly after this gels with the woods, even of I had never seen the bottle the aura of M7 is dark red IMO. M7, IMO, is a much better smelling, and feeling fragrance than BA, it is much more wearable, sexy, and downright seductive. Also, to my nose, the Oud note in M7 is detectable, whereas in BA, I cannot find it.
    Yeah it smells like bug spray most of the time , and when it shines its heaven for those 2 hours then the show is over. M7 is more masculine and practical I find

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Yeah it smells like bug spray most of the time
    On this, I cannot do other than agree with it !, besides, I feel the Oud there very synthetic IMHO.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Haha this made me laugh and feel all warm on the inside. People recognize my preferences now.

I feel I may given the wrong idea about Montale and myself. I appreciate his art in creating different unique perfumes but i wish he would use better Oud.

Kabul Aoud is a a really nice perfume. Plenty of incense mixed with appropriate amounts of oud, non-white florals and not rose either. Perhaps Iris and light woods (says cedar on the launch article).
    I know your opinions about montale and I agree. That's why I said I'm interested.

I got samples of White Aoud and Moon Aoud from Luckyscent. The white aoud is quite beautiful in a rose/ floral, kind of feminine way, but wearable by anyone. My wife and I wore it on my b'day. Very nice but not sure i could wear it every week. More like special occaision.

Tried the Moon Aoud last night -almost like an electric jolt of saffron & what I understand synth oud smells like. Still trying to wrap my mind around this one, but so far I like it. Gonna order samples of the black, wild and dark aouds next. Looking for something more casually wearable.

Wish I could convince Montale that Kabul Aoud existed! By email they said that it did not exist. Would love a sample, or better yet a small bottle as my freebie when I order, and I am almost ready to place an order for Black Aoud.

Which Montale Aoud is the most animalic? HELP!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

This is why i have issues with Montale. Its so shady.
    Here the main seller sells it's "exclusively" while the Montale agent now no longer seller Montale but Tanelli instead. Which is a replica of Montale in every way except for where its supposed to say Montale it says Tanelli.
    When asked why they say because Montale was copied too much. Yeah but then wouldn't one copy Tanelli then?
    Also what harm it will do to your image if you suddenly discontinue your line. How wouod loyal customers feel.
    Then the agent said Kabul Aoud was a fake lol. And Montale Paris denies it's existence.

for swap/sale:

There are much montale counterfeits? Where? Only at western?

I am in the same boat as you bit unfortunately my wife said that it smell disgusting (I guess aoud part of fragrance). So I don't know if I am gonna be able to get any other Aoud fragrance in near future.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Dark Aoud
    Wild Aoud
    Aoud Musk
    Aoud Lime

All outstanding, different takes on the Montale Aoud.
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    There are much montale counterfeits? Where? Only at western?
    Exactly. Where are these fake Montales?
    Montale isn't very popular here in the gulf. So i doubt the fakes are here. Nor have i seen fakes online.
    So the whole "we released Tanelli" to combat fakes is illogical because Montale.com is still functioning well.

This company is shady lol.

for swap/sale:

Personally, if you're nuts about Black Aoud, don't expect anything in M7 to overly wow you. I bought it based on the high accolades it's constantly given here, but found it simply "nice". Black Aoud cannot be worn in as many situations, but all in all I find it superior in almost every other category. By all means, try M7 again, but don't be surprised if you have the same reaction you had last time you tried it.

For your first question, I'm sure there are more users with more extensive knowledge of the line who can help you out there. I don't know enough of their full stock to make a proper suggestion.

I dunno if you're open to trying perfume oils, but Swiss Arabian has one called (I think) Mukhallat Malakhi that I tried and liked better than Black Aoud. That might be something to check out. There was a thread on Swiss Arabian awhile back that might be useful.

Well, I got my 100ml of Black Aoud from Montale and have worn it two days in a row. One spray on the chest in the morning each day and I went out tonight and applied one spray again on the chest. Silage? Yes. Lasting power? Yes. Beautiful and with a lot of dark rose? Yes. Aoud? Yes, I suppose, but I see this as more of a rose scent with a dark edge. LOVE it! Don't know why some of you can't see wearing this one, I can and I will wear it. A fantastic scent. A masculine rose and even of some of you think this smells synthetic, who cares if it smells good? Not me. Loving this one. Glad I purchased this. Now if I could get some of that Kabul Aoud that "does not exist" to try I would be happy! LOL.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Well, I got my 100ml of Black Aoud from Montale and have worn it two days in a row. One spray on the chest in the morning each day and I went out tonight and applied one spray again on the chest. Silage? Yes. Lasting power? Yes. Beautiful and with a lot of dark rose? Yes. Aoud? Yes, I suppose, but I see this as more of a rose scent with a dark edge. LOVE it! Don't know why some of you can't see wearing this one, I can and I will wear it. A fantastic scent. A masculine rose and even of some of you think this smells synthetic, who cares if it smells good? Not me. Loving this one. Glad I purchased this. Now if I could get some of that Kabul Aoud that "does not exist" to try I would be happy! LOL.
    Congrats! I am glad you like it and also find it equally rose as aoud fragrance. I find it hard to wear because of its strength. Once I just dabed bit from my sample vial on my father, then sprayed sample of He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood on me and went to work. When 1 of my coworkers arrived he commented that something in our office smells of cough syrup.. So I figured it was Black Aoud on my fingers . I wore it in public just once (on my visit to Zoo lol) and it was nice experience, but I am afraid of wearing it into close spaces. My sister (32yo) also commented that it smells terrible and most people I asked about it, commented that it smells like old Bulgarian Perfumes that we bought on our first vacation to Bulgaria during communism era lol.. I can see connection because they were all about Bulgarian roses..

Anyway I ordered bottle of M7 this week so I am really looking forward to compare it with Black Aoud..
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Anyway I ordered bottle of M7 this week so I am really looking forward to compare it with Black Aoud..
    M7 has nothing to do with BA (to me is better than BA , less in one aspect: the sillage )...... but in any case, M7 is a beautiful scent that I hope you like it.

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garons man 2

Can anyone help me with BA base notes? I applied it before bed like 9 hours ago and now (after wake up and shower lol) I can smell very nice aroma coming from my hand. Only note that I recognize is patchouli? But its not raw patchouli as it is in Patchouli Patch that I just applied on my neck, but bit sweetened and mysterious. What are the notes supporting patchouli in basenotes of Black Aoud? Is there another Montale that smells like it?
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    What do you choose as the free 20ml?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    What do you choose as the free 20ml?
    I got Dark Aoud for my 20ml travel sprayer. I have only smelled it but not worn it yet. I love it and I am waiting for the proper moment to do a full wearing.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Can anyone help me with BA base notes? I applied it before bed like 9 hours ago and now (after wake up and shower lol) I can smell very nice aroma coming from my hand. Only note that I recognize is patchouli? But its not raw patchouli as it is in Patchouli Patch that I just applied on my neck, but bit sweetened and mysterious. What are the notes supporting patchouli in basenotes of Black Aoud? Is there another Montale that smells like it?
    Notes include Patchouli, labdanum and musk and supposedly mandarin orange, I don't smell the orange at all to be honest but I do get the patchouli and musk on the dry down.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!