Code of Conduct

Default New old stock fragrances on eBay: Can they be worn? Or just looked at?

I've got some NOS items on my watch list and am wondering if I can actually use them. I don't want them just to look at. I have never bought old fragrances before and worry that they might have "turned."

Blog Entries

Default Re: New old stock fragrances on eBay: Can they be worn? Or just looked at?

Hi & welcome to basenotes!
    As long as fragrances have been kept properly, ie. in a dark place away from heat & light, they should last for decades. Sometimes the top notes can change slightly, but otherwise they should be ok. lt is a risk you take on ebay, but l've bought vintage fragrances several times from there, & l've been lucky so far. Good luck & happy sniffing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: New old stock fragrances on eBay: Can they be worn? Or just looked at?

I have brought a vintage Diorissimo which has turned, but the Diorissimo is known not to age well. i have brought several other old fragrances and have been lucky with them. Some sellers will tell you they've had a sniff and guarantee it's usefulness. These are usually the ones who know what they are selling and are maybe a bit more expensive, but I like the re-assurance.
    There are a few fragrances I only like in vintage form. I did buy a

Jolie Madame'' recently which was very good.
    It's a bit safer when they come with a box.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I've also been pretty lucky with my 'used' or old perfume purchases from ebay. They've all been perfectly wearable. I prefer to bid only on those with the original box though. When thinking about bidding the question is always how much am I prepared to risk losing if this turns out to be a dud. I'm reconciled to the fact that I'm likely to pick up a few lemons on the way to finding a real bargain. Just think carefully about what you are willing to pay - and then stick to it!

I have also been very lucky in buying vintage on ebay. BUT BEWARE There is a certain seller(sorry cannot name), who is well known for buying vintage empty bottles and filling with whatever and charging big.

Rules for vintage buying.

Check the description and don't be afraid to ask questions. How it was stored etc?

Look closely at the photo and google and try to find photos of the same perfume. Gives you an idea of how it should look.

The top notes are the most likely to change. I have a 1960 bottle of Fleurs de Rocaille extrait, the top notes have faded a tiny bit but the parfum is still totally fabulous.

Ask on Basenotes, certain fragrances do not bear up well to age. Vol de Nuit from Guerlain is a famous one.

Oh and good luck.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I have also been very lucky in buying vintage on ebay. BUT BEWARE There is a certain seller(sorry cannot name), who is well known for buying vintage empty bottles and filling with whatever and charging big.
    If you get a chance, pm to let me know which seller you're referring to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PazuzuLocusts View Post
    If you get a chance, pm to let me know which seller you're referring to.
    The seller she is referring to does NOT sell NOS, they sell rare/obscure/very valuable collectible vintages. While there's definitely many red flags and reports of tampering there have also been many confirmed sales of legitimate perfumes. I'd still avoid the seller or only be willing to pay absolute minimum.

Getting back to the questions: Roughly 90% of my collection is vintage and I buy both for myself and source vintage perfumes for other people. There's definitely a lot of ins and outs in terms of what questions to ask and what to look for, but for the most part if you're buying NOS from a seller who specializes in selling perfume (check their other items) chances are the perfumes will be perfectly fine. I tend to take greater risks when buying vintage perfumes (non-sealed bottles, non-specialty sellers) to get better deals and even with these risks I've rarely bought bottles with faded perfume.

If you want to send me a PM for help with the specific perfume and/or sellers you're looking at I'd be glad to help.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I bought 2 sealed, boxed bottles of Laura Ashley No 1 and both had lost their top notes. Also a vintage Mary Chess Lily of the Valley which was pretty much reduced to its base notes.

Banned

Lighter florals, especially those with lily of the valley (i.e. Diorissimo) are more prone to damage then other genres. Some houses and some perfumes/bottle styles are more prone to damage and/or evaporation. Unfortunately there's a good bit of vintage collecting/buying that's trial, error, and risk.