Code of Conduct

Default VC&A Tsar and Ralph Lauren Safari Pour Homme

Are these scents too similar?

I find they're almost identical and it's hard to tell which one is more floral and has the more leather.

Any discussion on this?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: VC&A Tsar and Ralph Lauren Safari Pour Homme

Hi Primerose,

In my opinion VC Tsar and Safari are absolutly different, nothing in common. Apologies for my honesty.

But you know, its only my feelings.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safari as well as many others released around the same years share a bergamot / green top note found in Eternity for Men. Tsar stands a tad apart from the bunch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Safari as well as many others released around the same years share a bergamot / green top note found in Eternity for Men. Tsar stands a tad apart from the bunch, though.
    Can you expand on this? I find the openings of Tsar and Safari very similar, so perhaps that is what I am sensing.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Both are quite different. VC&A Tsar is much better IMO.

not similar imo. Tsar is better

I smell no similarities at all.

TSAR - Green woody aromatic fougere

Safari - Leather fougere

Both are damn good fragrances, though. I prefer Tsar.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Can you expand on this? I find the openings of Tsar and Safari very similar, so perhaps that is what I am sensing.
    You might check this out in order to test my supposition: look for scents released during the late 1980's and early 1990's...

Safari for meni, 1992
    VC&A's Tsar, 1989
    CK's Eternity, 1989
    PR's XS, 1993

Smell the top notes: according to their pyramids, Safari, Tsar and XS share bergamot in their top notes, in the case of Eternity, it is mandarin (if memory does not fail me). If you want to overindulge in this same note, check O pour Homme (1997), it is precisely the same top note I notice in these four taken to the extreme.

I assume it must be the usual mechanism: a big corporation specialized in essences releases their last aromachemical and then implements sales efforts among the big corporations manufacturing scents for licensed brands. Presto, there you got the rendition of blends revolving around common notes.

Take calone, dehydromircenol and iso e super, as well as esences replicating fruits, ginger, chocolate and caramel, there you got the reason why releases smell so similar.

Anyway, of these four, Safari is the best one, IMHO, for the mid and base notes depart from their common denominator.

VC&A's Tsar has been one of my favorites since early '90's. I haven't found any resemblance to Safari though...

I have finally come to the decision that I like both Safari and Tsar, but Tsar is a *little* more floral in the drydown.

Hi Primrose,

Are you talking about the original Tsar or Eau de Tsar which, I think was late 90's? Eau de Tsar might have a similar feel with the Bergamot at the top and the oakmoss at the bottom and it's lighter that the original Tsar.

Otherwise it might be the dry down that's similar? They are not alike to my nose but those elements might be toying with you?
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw a youtube review in which the review compared Safari to Gucci Nobile.

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Hi Primrose,

Are you talking about the original Tsar or Eau de Tsar which, I think was late 90's? Eau de Tsar might have a similar feel with the Bergamot at the top and the oakmoss at the bottom and it's lighter that the original Tsar.

Otherwise it might be the dry down that's similar? They are not alike to my nose but those elements might be toying with you?
    Koala, this would be the original Tsar in so far as it's in the new bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I saw a youtube review in which the review compared Safari to Gucci Nobile.
    Well, no IMHO. Brooks Brothers for Men does share top and mid notes with Safari, but BB's projection and longevity are far more limited than S'.

Thank you all for the input and the history!