Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 73 of 73
  1. #61
    Al Gae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Hi everyone. Didn't get a chance to post this weekend, but I did receive the Chanel box from PerfumedLady on Friday evening as I arrived home from work. Very generous samples, bookwyrmsmith! Starting with the Pour Monsieur Concentree today. I like the spicy heart - warm yet fresh, quite enjoyable. Hard to notice though, it's like a whisper on me... Thanks again!

  2. #62
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    You talkin' to me?!I love this!And I do love Bluebell,love and own Victorian Posy.I can't imagine anyone who loves those two not enjoying Cristalle.I prefer the EDT as well,though the extra grassy-minty opening of the EDP is quite nice.I didn't care for Eau Verte;I don't want Cristalle citrus-y,I want it GREEN!
    I must have been talking to you, yes!
    So glad you liked Cristalle. I decided that I am the same -- I like the EDT best and Eau Verte least. You nailed it. I don't want it citrusy either!

    And nope, I think that since you didn't like Chance, no worries about trying Eau Fraiche. I tried it too and it seems pretty similar. I agree with your point about Coco Mlle and Chance!

    Looking forward to your reviews, Al Gae!

  3. #63
    PerfumedLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    1,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Well,for me,it goes back to your "spring-like" description of Cristalle,Warum.I actually do love citrus notes but we have no native citrus here in Indiana,so I don't associate them with any particular season.Now,hyacinths are a different story-we have lots of those and I have a ton of English bluebells here in my yard,which smell similar to hyacinths.The nice thing about Cristalle(EDT,anyway) is that I can see those delicate greens and florals hitting the spot for me well into summer's heat.

    Re:Chance-I could have taken it a lot easier on this one had it been by any other house.It's difficult for me to understand its place in the Chanel line-up when I know what this house is capable of-I wish they'd just push the younger crowd toward Eau Premiere,Coco Mlle. or the Allures instead.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 12th May 2011 at 06:53 PM.
    The nose wants what it wants!

  4. #64
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Well,for me,it goes back to your "spring-like" description of Cristalle,Warum.I actually do love citrus notes but we have no native citrus here in Indiana,so I don't associate them with any particular season.Now,hyacinths are a different story-we have lots of those and I have a ton of English bluebells here in my yard,which smell similar to hyacinths.The nice thing about Cristalle(EDT,anyway) is that I can see those delicate greens and florals hitting the spot for me well into summer's heat.
    I understand! I associate citruses with Summer, I guess because of the "Summer cologne" stereotype. But hyacinths say "Spring" to me as fast as mimosas do.

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Re:Chance-I could have taken it a lot easier on this one had it been by any other house.It's difficult for me to understand its place in the Chanel line-up when I know what this house is capable of-I wish they'd just push the younger crowd toward Eau Premiere,Coco Mlle. or the Allures instead.
    I share this sentiment! My friend (in her 20s) seems to love them all and now tests the rest of the Chanels and got Coco Mlle -- I guess that's a good result!

  5. #65
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,941
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    I am not a participant in this group, but let me tell you that I enjoy reading your opinions. Of course, I disagree with some and agree with others, but I appreciate you guys.

    On the other hand, I was leaving Jen -- bookwyrmsmith -- iTrader feedback today for an entirely different transaction and could not but noticed that some of you are forgetting to leave her POSITIVE FEEDBACK for this sample pass. Remember, once again, as soon as you get the package, you are leaving two feedbacks this same day:
    1) for bookwyrmsmith because she made this sniff possible;
    2) for the person who forwarded the package to you -- they went through the trouble of packaging the samples to the best of their ability, going to their post office and paying S&H. What else qualifies as a reason for the positive feedback entry?

    Agreed?

  6. #66
    PerfumedLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    1,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Twolf-I'm sorry,I didn't know we were to leave feedback for the one who forwards the package to us.All these sample passes and I haven't been doing it-I'm so ashamed!I'm off to iechris' page to remedy my mistake(for this pass,anyway)right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    My friend (in her 20s) seems to love them all and now tests the rest of the Chanels and got Coco Mlle -- I guess that's a good result!
    That is a good result and if it leads her into some of the older Chanels,it will be a fantastic one!I would never have learned to love No.5 if not for all my loitering at the Chanel counter(that,and getting older and "wiser"!)!I'm all for anything that keeps perfume houses producing our beloved classics.
    The nose wants what it wants!

  7. #67
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    That is a good result and if it leads her into some of the older Chanels,it will be a fantastic one!I would never have learned to love No.5 if not for all my loitering at the Chanel counter(that,and getting older and "wiser"!)!I'm all for anything that keeps perfume houses producing our beloved classics.
    Well, sounds like she has started on this road. It was very interesting to hear her talk about her experience. She said that older Chanels were wearing her, not the other way around, and that basically they decided who she was going to be (while her other perfumes like Chance Eau Fraiche or Coco Mlle were complimenting her in what she was). I don't think I've ever felt that a perfume was wearing me, so it is difficult for me to completely empathize with her experience. New #5 EDT eats from my hand and purrs, I wear #22 EDC with joy, I do not wear #19 -- but I would wear Cristalle EDT easily (I guess the more vintage the better hyacinth here). So, I am listening and trying to hear what she's saying. Will ask how she's going with the older ones now, we haven't talked in a month or so.

  8. #68
    PerfumedLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    1,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    New #5 EDT eats from my hand and purrs...
    Doesn't it,though?!Honestly,there isn't a bad version of No.5,it's just a matter of finding your preference among the concentrations.No,I've never felt a perfume was wearing me,either-probably because I was a teen in the 1980's,the era of the powerhouse.It was nothing unusual to sniff Opium,Poison,Drakkar Noir and the like wafting through the hallways of my high school.Now,this generation of twentysomethings have grown up with an entirely different style of fragrances than some of us did.I'm so pleased that your young friend didn't find Mlle.to be "too old" for her;even that scent is quite a leap from the fresher,cleaner scents that would have been popular while she was growing up.Her journey is very interesting!
    The nose wants what it wants!

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    I didn't know about the iTrader thing until Twolf pointed it out. Sorry guys! I've left feedback for Bookwyrmsmith and FrouFrou. Thanks again to Bookwyrmsmith for organizing this, I really enjoyed trying all the samples!

  10. #70
    Al Gae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Looking forward to your reviews, Al Gae!
    So, I'm excited about getting some time to write my reviews up! It's not happening right now though, but I am almost done with all the samples. I think I've got 3 left (2 Cristalles, and No. 5, kind of saving it for last), but I'll need the weekend to get them all worn properly. And I want to give Egoiste another run, it was very good and quite interesting, but Silly Putty came into play and that kind of weirded me out. Wonder if it'll happen again...

    Anyway, I'll get the box in the mail to Tourbillion on Monday I suppose, just a little later than my 2 week allotment. I think you PM'd me your address already, but I accidentally deleted a few messages while trying to download them, so perhaps you should send it again. Sometimes I feel a bit like the absent-minded professor.

  11. #71
    matildaben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,034
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    I'm really looking forward to your reviews, Al Gae. I've tried Egoiste once and I really should give it another try - it was intriguing but I'm not sure if it's sweetness was what I was in the mood for at that time.

  12. #72
    Warum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    53

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Doesn't it,though?!Honestly,there isn't a bad version of No.5,it's just a matter of finding your preference among the concentrations. No,I've never felt a perfume was wearing me,either-probably because I was a teen in the 1980's,the era of the powerhouse.It was nothing unusual to sniff Opium,Poison,Drakkar Noir and the like wafting through the hallways of my high school.Now,this generation of twentysomethings have grown up with an entirely different style of fragrances than some of us did.I'm so pleased that your young friend didn't find Mlle.to be "too old" for her;even that scent is quite a leap from the fresher,cleaner scents that would have been popular while she was growing up.Her journey is very interesting!
    I thought so too. And yes, I am glad that you confirm that you haven't had that feeling yourself. Your explanation of why we may be feeling differently makes a lot of sense.

    I disliked my #5 EDT from the 90s, but I heard that this was a less successful reformulation. I wonder how would I feel about it now if I got to try it anyway. I liked the EDP from this sample set, and I'm planning on trying the new EDP as well as parfum (never tried!).

  13. #73
    PerfumedLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    1,680
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

    Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    I disliked my #5 EDT from the 90s, but I heard that this was a less successful reformulation.
    Oh,Warum,I think you may have just solved a mystery for me!I have been baffled as to why I thought I absolutely hated No.5 for years;I did indeed first sample the EDT in the early nineties.I spritzed on the EDP at Macy's a few years ago out of sheer boredom and it was instant love.I'm wondering if that nineties reformulation is to blame for my confusion.At long last,at least I have a possible explanation!

    About the concentrations-I'd gladly own all three but the EDP gives a more pronounced,fluffy,jasmine/sandalwood cloud on my skin and this is the aspect I love most about No.5.It's my understanding that the EDP does contain more sandalwood than the EDT or parfum.The parfum is quite a bit more animalic in the base and of course,its florals are just perfection.I know you'll enjoy it.Someday I will add the parfum to my wardrobe for special occasions.And I can see myself picking up an EDT to have around-well,just because.What can I say,it's just so gorgeous I could never have too much No.5!They are all so different that I don't feel it's redundant to own more than one concentration if it is a scent you love and will wear often.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Similar Threads

  1. Here was a little deal that I could not pass up....
    By scentimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 30th January 2011, 01:51 AM
  2. I'll pass on the Habit Rouge
    By scentimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th February 2010, 10:11 AM
  3. Don't pass the Courvosieur
    By anak in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd July 2008, 07:04 PM
  4. Pass the Courvoisier
    By anak in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28th March 2008, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •