Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD Friday, 20 May 2011

Good morning all,

Someone smells very improper today...

But I'm enjoying it...

Rose de Nuit - Serge Lutens

I admit one of my very first associations with this was 'lacquer and leather', but...
    breakfast first...

Have a fabulous day all!

Default Re: SotD Friday, 20 May 2011

Hello !Happy Day

Lancome synch-Friday starting with "MIRACLE FOREVER" for me
    Life is full of surprises and is a non-stop miracle that lasts FOREVER!!!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I'm on a Guerlain kick at the moment, and feeling rather evangelical about this house whose charms eluded me for so long (Philistine that I am). Today I'm in Vol de Nuit (EdT), comparing some vintage (year ?) juice with the modern version. Both are from samples. Wonderful, wonderful stuff and definately redolent (literally!) of Mitsouko. A full bottle purchase can't be too far off. Too bad the extrait only comes in 30ml bottles though.

Have a great Friday everone!

I've got my newly acquired Hermes 24 Faubourg on. Lovely stuff.

It's one of those intensely feminine, sophisticate, expensive smelling things made in such a way that it can only be French. Luv it, luv it, luv it.

Only sorry I bought EDT rather than EDP. Oh well, it's good exercise to walk to the cabinet and get another burst periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Today I'm in Vol de Nuit (EdT), comparing some vintage (year ?) juice with the modern version. Both are from samples. Wonderful, wonderful stuff and definately redolent (literally!) of Mitsouko. A full bottle purchase can't be too far off. Too bad the extrait only comes in 30ml bottles though.
    And what are the differences to your nose? Which one do you prefer? Do you get any longevity out of it?
    I once sampled vintage EdT... YES, wonderful stuff, but did not even last an hour (nose to wrist I mean)!

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I've once sampled vintage EdT... YES, wonderful stuff, but did not even last an hour (nose to wrist I mean)!
    I'm glad it is not just me then! I applied probably 1/2 ml. to the inside of my arm at around 7.00am. Now it is 9.00am and I can barely smell it (nose to wrist). Mind you, the current formula isn't doing much better. Maybe I've exhausted my nose. Gotta dash - lots to do today. If I have any further thoughts, I'll pop in this evening. Ps. How do you find the longevity ? Is it really so fleeting? I only have 1ml samples of each, so perhaps I just need to apply more with a proper spritzer.

Thanks my friend! Let's resume then I am in downtown today and know a store that carries the EdT, so they might have a tester and I'll spritz my wrist and arm... hopefully!
    I'm serious, I used about the same amount 0.5 ml and it was GONE after an hour. The extrait is a different story - soft-spoken (the new extrait more than the vintage), intimate, but long-lived. I have pre-oakmoss reformulation extrait and new... I must do a thorough side-by-side comparison soon... but, so far I have said I prefer the new extrait (modernised - forgive me, aficionados!), but the changes are subtle (!!). It makes it somewhat easier to wear bringing its beauty to the foreground instead of stirring emotions. Do I make sense? Probably not
    Last edited by Larimar; 20th May 2011 at 08:17 AM.

Annick Goutal Myyrhe Ardente.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Jo Malone Red Roses. I'll be working in the garden, and it will complement the scent of my real life roses!
    As for Vol de Nuit, I wore the original extrait many years ago and loved it, and it lasted for hours on me. One of the ingredients that gave it this longevity must have been abandoned in the new version - animal? IFRA-cide? Who knows?

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all. SotD is Chanel Egoiste.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Friday, 20 May 2011

Testing Jacques Polge's

BLEU
    DE
    CHANEL

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Guerlain's Habit Rouge EdP. A brassy agarwood note smoothly woven into the oriental base, and a fortified, melancholy patchouli down below, and though still unmistakably Habit Rouge, it's more a reformulation than a mere concentrated version of the original: extra formal, firmly woody and suave.

Basenotes Plus

It's bloody hot here (you have to remember that us English are not accustomed to proper heat) so I'm wearing:

Beyond Paradise by Estee Lauder.

Yesterday was Islands of Adventure and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (AMAZING) and today is EPCOT, which to me means one thing; Guerlain Boutique!

Have a great day peeps!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Glad you are enjoying your trip CPB, my daughter 3 just went to the HP World with her grandma last weekend and they also said it was spectacular. For me, I like the local Busch Gardens better than any of the Disney/Universal parks - give me great roller coasters and real animals and I am a happy woman.

Today it's Love Etc.

Just received a trade parcel full of goodies (see purchases thread, although mine aren't exactly purchases), so I'm wearing No.5 vintage Parfum... OMG, lovely...

Lanvin Arpege Pour Homme

In sync with Lancôme's Magie Noire
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Sur la Plage

Good morning! My SOTD is Guerlain Shalimar EDT (vintage).

Top notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Cedar, Lemon
    Middle notes: Patchouli, Jasmine, Rose, Orris
    Base notes: Vanilla, Benzoin, Peru Balsam, Leather

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Didn't know it was Lancome day. I am not a huge Lancome fan, although I have been contemplating buying Magie Noire. I keep reading about the vintage vs. the recent formulations, etc. and have not made the purchase. I do have Climat, which I have not worn in forever, so I'll give it another try to be in synch.

Blog Entries

SotD is my tiny sample of Guerlain Muguet 2011.

Our lilies of the valley are all in bloom and I will have to go pick a bunch and take them to Mom-- and another bunch for us!

Good morning everyone Today I'm in synch in Attraction. Hope you all have a great friday. Mine is devoted fully to the books....Really starting to get nervous about the exam now...5 days to go! :O

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

In sync today with O de Lancome. With notes of lemon, mandarin,
    petitgrain, bergamot, honeysuckle, lily-of-the-valley, jasmine, rosemary,
    oakmoss, vetiver, amber and musk.

Last edited by Kiliwia; 20th May 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Kenzo Amour, have a lovely Friday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Glad you made it to FL safe and sound, Candy Perfume Boy! I think Florida's weather is perfect for Beyond Paradise. It really blooms in warmth & humidity.

I'm in synch today in Lancôme’s Mille et Une Roses, the last of a sample. Hopefully, it will be subtle and innocuous enough for a dental appointment. I think this is perfect for a warm day, too.

No time to dig through for Lancome, although I think I have an O de Lancome or something somewhere... instead, 24 Faubourg (Bernard Bourjois for Hermes).

I have no Lancome, so today I'm testing Lyric for Women, and it's the first time I've gotten a compliment on a fragrance. I only have a teensy sample, but it just took a couple dots. This stuff is potent and it smells divine!

Hey y'all -

I'm in sync in Climat - aahhh! Its fluffy aldehydes are so brisk and airy, it always makes me want to go sailing ...sunny blue skies and cool breezes!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Well, it is still a little on the chilly side, so I will synch up with Cuir de Lancome, my little easy leather with some subtle fleurs

Larimar, you are setting the mark awfully high these last couple of days with your pics! That one is another perfect 10/10, as a picture and as a match for your frag. Well done sir!
    Last edited by cello; 20th May 2011 at 01:52 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Aqua Velva Ice Blue this morning. First introduced in 1935 it is very possible your great-grandfather may have worn it. Smooth, mellow and masculine. Just right for those days you can't seem to make up your mind what to wear.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

No Lancomes here worthy of -- quoting cello here -- "clean skin and fragrance time", so I am in a totally different puppy Rance 1795 D'Erje (I wonder how it is pronounced).

Larimar, just looking at the picture I knew your SotD, no VdN today?

Raining and warm, saw a rabbit giving himself a bath in a back yard and then he/she/it starting rolling in the grass just like dogs do. I miss little things when we are away from home and am always glad to come back to them.

Happy Friday!!!!!!!

Long weekend here so off we go up North....... it's Kelly Caleche today!!!

Have a wonderful day everyone~smooches
    Last edited by shoegal68; 20th May 2011 at 04:28 PM.
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Ooh, Evangeline, I love that vintage image!

Not in synch in Lancome -- I am devoid of Lancome scents as it turns out -- so wearing another department store cosmetics section doyenne: Estee Lauder (Private Collection.) Happy Friday and take care, all.
    Last edited by Leesee; 20th May 2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: typo

Wearing Azzaro Azzura, love the mandarin in this.

Switched to 24 Faubourg
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Diptyque Eau Duelle -- a lovely, not-too-sweet vanilla.

Basenotes Institution

For all of you for making me so happy .

Carnal Flower this morning
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

No Lancomes here I'm afraid - wore YSL's Nu today.

Lancome Climat

This comes off on my very similar to Ivoire. Rather soapy, but not as green.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Prada Infusion d'Iris smells soooo pretty today.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Xerjoff 17/17 Homme

Beyond Love - By Kilian this morning.
    A lovely tuberose.

Now I'm in sync in
    Attraction - Lancôme.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm in double synch:

SotD - Miracle Homme
    SotE - Cuir de Lancôme

Thanks cello! I think there is an awful lot of wonderfuls pics shared here on a regular basis and this one felt so right for Rose de Nuit.

Good to have you back smart Twolf guessing my pic Don't you think 3 days in a row is plenty enough Vol de Nuit, although I still wouldn't mind. You should see how I worked through that extrait bottle...gulp! But I got a back-up today from the UK more than 20 % cheaper than here where it would also be on special order only...

Gandhajala, I sprayed the new Vol de Nuit EdT on my wrist today, walked around in downtown and wanted to re-sniff it after what I think were 50 minutes... nada nothing! I also remember liking the vintage EdT better as I felt this new one was a bit like a Potemkin village, a masquerade pretending a structure that is not there in the background. It was nice though.

SotE is my other UK acquisition I have been lemming - Roja Dove Unspoken Parfum (gulp!). It's incredible, the labdanum base lingers on forever, so exquisitely - smoky and leathery undertones... and the load of jasmine for starters...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Applause for LiliB and kasae and FrouFrou in 24 Faubourg.

O de Lancome's too brief, Cuir de Lancome just "too much" for this sunny spring day with "Simpson" clouds (as my family refers to them, referencing the opening scene of that animated TV show).

In a blend of elegance and white trashiness, hubby and I are going to eat out at Burger King whilst wearing Attache-Moi (moi) and Stella Rose Absolute (il).
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

SotE: HYPNOSE LANCOME
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

LOL at Larimar's gulps.

Evening Folks,

Just showered, changed and applied a liberal amount of my fave:

Aaah, feeling so relaxed at the end of a very hectic week

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    ...Gandhajala, I sprayed the new Vol de Nuit EdT on my wrist today, walked around in downtown and wanted to re-sniff it after what I think were 50 minutes... nada nothing! ..
    Sadly, that was my experience today too Obviously, it persisted a little longer on my shirt-cuff, but both vintage and current EdTs were gone within a few short hours. Maybe the extrait is the only way to go. I notice a department store here is offering an extra 15 pounds off, so maybe, just maybe.....

Best to all!

Blenheim Bouquet

Basenotes Plus

I am continuing my love fest with Jean Louis Scherrer, edt. Top notes: Cassis, Hyacinth, Violet, Aldehydes, heart note: Tuberose, Rose, Gardenia, Carnation base note: Sandal, Vetiver, Moss, Civet. I says "oak moss" and "tree moss" on the box, so I guess that's the "moss" from the OsMoz list of notes. They categorize this as a "floral aldehyde", I consider it a green chypre. I am wondering if the powers that be are re-categorizing chypre scents to meet the new/no oak moss definition. Seems to me to be all about marketing.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

Dennard, you smell lovely! And I bet it's hot where you are!

I won't tell what I'm wearing since it's all about today's Blind Sniff which we will start today... some time
    But here am I, happy to be in your midst.

So sorry to have Lancome sync coinciding with the Blind Sniff. I have Miracle, Poéme, Climat, Sagamore, Magie, Sikkim and a sample of Cuir de Lancome... I can perfume those of you who have none! Who's the first in ine?

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post

Sadly, that was my experience today too Obviously, it persisted a little longer on my shirt-cuff, but both vintage and current EdTs were gone within a few short hours. Maybe the extrait is the only way to go. I notice a department store here is offering an extra 15 pounds off, so maybe, just maybe.....

Best to all!
    Yes, the extrait is the only way to go with Vol de Nuit IMHO, but the compulsory 30 mls is quite a commitment. You are bound to love the extrait, but you can always wait for a sample from me.

Basenotes Plus

Lessa and other Climat wearers- now I must seek out and test. Lessa says it has an Ivoire-vibe, which I love, but Ivoire is so short lived on my skin. The only Balmain that doesn't last well on me.

Double syncing- Wearing 2000 et une Rose on one arm and testing vintage Magie on the other (impressions cross posted on the sync thread)

Candy Perfume Boy- enjoying reading about your Florida adventure....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

In synch this Friday. O d'AZUR sample. Almost a scrubber but a couple hours and I like the floral drydown. Kinda surprised.

Basenotes Institution

No synching for me today, I don't own anything from Lancome. What's up with that? I used to have a bottle of Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic (the one that Kurkdjian did) but I grew bored of it and sold it years ago. Oh well... for me today it's:

Granville by Christian Dior

This is becoming a regular on Casual Friday's here at my office. Love this stuff!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hey y'all -

I'm now in Cuir de Russie too, lots of it - parfum plus a lavish spray of edt.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Institution

Oh I forgot it was Sync Friday !!!!! Sorry Duckie ! I was all prepared with Tresor too !

Luckily my scent of the morning has worn off so I can apply Tresor now......just back from the gym.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Busy Friday off work for me (I have to work tomorrow)
    Sampled roses in the morning and afternoon, but now in synch and scent twins with Mimi Gardenia in Tresor.
    Wore Citizen Queen to the barn where my horse decided to be a wee bit hot on the trail ride.
    Wore Aqua Allegoria Rosa Magnifica to the Greek Festival for some good food after the less than relaxing ride!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca tonight
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

I couldn't bring myself to wear it to work, so I'm wearing a whole heck of a lot of Magie Noire right now to do my laundry....

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Basenotes Plus

SOTE is Lancome's Sikkim.
    Sikkim’s original composition had notes of aldehydes, ylang ylang, bergamot, galbanum, gardenia, thujone, carnation, jasmine, narcissus, orris, rose, amber, castoreum, leather, moss, patchouli and vetiver. Not sure what the redo notes are. It's a adequate chypre but not a show stopper. You would think it would be with all those notes but perhaps that was the "original", not the one I have.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme