Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

Since I've had so much fun trying samples on two of 30Roses sample passes ,I thought I would follow her wonderful example and start one too!
    ( USA only please! )

There are 11 Chanels to try from my own collection 1.5 ml of each (except the last one)
    Chanel no.5 EDP
    Eau Premiere EDP
    No.19 EDT
    No.22 EDC (vintage cologne)
    Cristalle EDT
    Cristalle EDP
    Cristalle Eau Verte EDT
    Coco EDP
    Allure EDT
    Egoiste EDT

1ml of this as I am nearly out.
    Pour Monsieur Concentre'e EDT

I believe there is enough for two groups of five members each .
    Each person can sample for 2 weeks .

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bookwyrmsmith's Chanel sample pass

Good for you! I'm cheering from the sidelines (not joining, though, as I've smelled most of these.)

Ooooh... would it be too greedy to get in on this one as well?

As with 30 Roses, I am applauding you for your generosity.

I have also tried this Chanel line, so I will let others take a sniff.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Warum and iechris eight more spots left!

Can I? I will be in America, again, from the 21st of March to the 17th of April.
    That should give the postal office enough time....

I have Chanel no19 and my mother wore Chanel no5 but I haven't given the Chanels a really good try, just a quick sniff maybe in the shops.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Great job organizing this. Please do not include me, I am familiar with most of these.

Basenotes Plus

You go, ms smith. Very generous offer and great organizing as noted. Don't include me- just wanted to give you a shout out.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

FrouFrou makes three spots taken ,seven more openings.

Oooh,Chanel!Yay!May I join in,please?I've tried some of these but I had actually intended to purchase samples of the Cristalles so I could give them a thorough testing.I also have a sample of current No.22-it would be fun to compare it with your vintage!Very nice samples you're offering,Bookwyrmsmith-I love No.s 5& 19!Thank you!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Perfumed Lady makes four, six spots still open.

I'll always jump on an opportunity to follow-up PerfumedLady in a sample swap! I've been meaning to try a bunch of these - so many perfumes, so little time!

Thanks for your generosity bookwyrmsmith!

Al Gae makes five spots filled . Five more to go!

Anyone else interested? There are five openings left! I'd like to get it shipped out monday the 7th.

I'll be shipping it to Warum this afternoon(13 hrs from now or thereabouts)
    The box will have both sets of samples and the order will be 1. Warum
    2.FrouFrou (as she will be in the USA for a limited time)
    3.iechris
    4.Perfumed Lady
    5.Al Gae
    If anyone else wants to be included speak up -we can add you to the end of the list.

Blog Entries

Got it! Will start sampling tomorrow!

Could you PM me your address, FrouFrou?

I pm-ed you the address!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Thanks, FrouFrou, I got it! When do you arrive to the US (and when do you leave?) -- I'm asking so I'll try to make sure to mail you the package early in your US stay.

Arriving on 21st March, leaving 17 April.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

I want to offer my heartfelt thanks to Bookwyrmsmith for organizing this Chanel samples pass!
    I have to admit, I used to think that since I don't love #5, that's it, I am done with Chanel. Humbled and excited, now I hang my head in shame and say to myself, "There's so much more to explore."

I think I'll mail these to FrouFrou some time on 3/20 or 3/21, that way Chanel samples will arrive at your house at the same time as you will yourself. I will also include a 1 ml The Perfumed Court sample of Chanel Chance. It does not get any love from me, but maybe it will from you?

I would like to share with you all my short to-date notes.

Chanel #5 EDP - I think I still like newer EDT better, and I've never tried the parfum. Now I know that I did not like the reformulation from the 90s that is not carried by Chanel any more, and for me, it's a good thing. I am definitely open to test more of #5 and get me some. EDT? or parfum? EDP is also nice. Decisions, decisions.

Chanel Coco - I liked it a lot. In my book, it is a soft non-sweet spicy oriental, something I will not hesitate to wear with a soft sweater in Winter, but will be just as happy with on a cool Spring or Summer evening. It makes me feel cozy and homey. Like this, will sample more.

Chanel Egoiste - liked this one even more! It's a gourmand that reminds me most of chai smell. But I like it more than another chai-smelling Tom Form Tobacco Vanilla, and I enjoy it a lot. Bookwyrmsmith, could you post or PM concentration and/or batch code?

Chanel Cristalle EDT - what a smell of Spring! I love the hyacinths! I did not expect to like Cristalle as many described it as cold and even "bitchy", but it is a lovely Spring fragrance on me. If you like Bluebell or Victorian Posy by Penhaligon's, you will be likely to like this, at least I think so.

Chanel Cristalle EDP - I did not give this one a full wearing yet, but it's a green minty one. I liked EDT better.

Well, should I even mention that I am in love with vintage #22 EDC?.. what a treat that was! Thanks so much!

If all goes well I'll be arriving 3-21!!!!
    But way to tired to give proper attention to the Chanel fragrances!

I am really looking forward to them, and Chance too! Exciting!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

The Egoiste is a Eau de Toilette 1.7 oz bottle and the sticker batch number is 2421.Hope it helps!

I wouldn't mind sniffing these myself, I am so enjoying the 30roses stuff, that was on my porch when I got home yesterday.

Blog Entries

The Chanels are in the mail! FrouFrou, you will be getting them on Thursday, you'll certainly have two weeks with them before your departure! Enjoy!

Seems like I got to test the ones I liked most first, since I was not impressed with Allure or Cristalle Eau Verte (although that one got a good word from Mr W). Pour Monsieur Concentree smelled divine on him, even better than Egoiste on him or on me. On me -- I used a tiny dab and needed no more. Some men's scents just don't work with my chemistry. And did I mention already that I loved #22 EDC?.. testing it side by side with the new one actually made me pull the trigger on a bottle of EDC on *bay. Now I am waiting for it to arrive and hope it's good...

Thanks, Bookwyrmsmith! This was a treat!

Okay Tourbillion will be #6 . P.M. Al Gae your address .

Warum, thank you! I am really excited! I do hope the post works as they should work this time!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I got the samples yesterday, I wanted to start today, but I am ill, something flu-ish with bronchitis. And I don't think my nose is at it's best.
    Hope to be better tomorrow.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

Get well, FrouFrou!
    Lots of fluids and rest, and just keep telling yourself that thanks to bookwyrmsmith you're in for a treat!

I will, I do, I know!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Is there still room for one more? I would love to try these.

matildaben is #7 ,please Private Message(PM) your address to Tourbillion.

Get well soon FrouFrou ! You might want to try taking some zinc,Vitamin D ,C and garlic . Zinc and garlic are antiviral and the vitamins should help boost your immune system.Also ginger is actually better than the OTC pills for motion sickness/nausea.I hope you feel well soon.

bookwyrmsmith, Thank you! I am doing all that stuff, and I added super amounts of garlic to dinner last night.
    Except that I wasn't very hungry....

I have started off with the ''Chance'' as my nose is doing quite well. I find the top notes to be very harsh and then it's getting very ''cucumbery'' and then it's gets a bit messy, and I am afraid I like nothing in there either...
    And I always like the bottle so much when I see it in the shops!

There was only one ''Chance'' sample btw.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Oh! The Chance has a much more elegant drydown, with the fresh ''cucumber'' remaining in a very nicely balanced accord.
    It's nice, not really my style but if it is it must be very satisfying.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

FrouFrou, yes, this is the only Chance sample because it came from me and this is the only one I have. I never had a bottle, so I cannot decant from it. I tried it for myself, but it didn't work for me, so I thought it would be fitting to include it in a Chanel pass so that people can try it. I don't need or expect any of it back, I would just like people to try it and find out if it was for them. Or not, to save themselves time in a perfume store, money on perfume court samples, or, especially, a blind purchase that would not do well! (but we all know not to do that, do we? )

Of course I know not to do blind buys!
    All my blind buys were inspired by basenotes but of course I know I shouldn't do it...
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Ok, my sense of smell is back, and yesterday I tested ''Eau delicate'' which is very nice! I thought ''delicate'' would be to delicate for me but it is complex and interesting. For me a bit too sweet but I tend to go to the other end of the spectrum I think.

Today it's #22. I was very interested in trying #22. Very good, too sweet again at the start, but I am now in the drydown and it's to die for!
    Lovely smoky rosy incense.
    I love it!
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Hey all - I just wanted to let you know you can drop me off the list.... Since I ordered a bunch of Chanel samples from TPC in order to have time to try them before my wedding, and I don't think my place in the line is until after the wedding (it's in 4 weeks OMG OMG), I will have sampled most of these by then. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Matildaben, so excited about your wedding!

FrouFrou, glad your sense of smell is back. I love #22 and have already bought a partial bottle of vintage EDC after sampling this. Lovely!

Hmm, #22 would be a good candidate for my wedding....
    #19 today, I own the EdP because I thought the EdT a bit too light, so I was interested in giving it a good try on my ease, not in the shop, and I must say it is very nice, it has the notes I love so much about the EdP, but it is a bit lighter, fresher. Must be perfect for those who think the EdP a bit too heavy, and perfect for the warmer weather.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

I am finished with the samples, this was a real pleasure. I loved #22, Coco and Pour monsieur. I would love to smell pour Monsieur on the fiancee. But he insists on wearing Paco Rabanne....
    I loved the Eau Premiere, but not Cristalle, which I thought I would.
    I liked loved Allure. All fragrances had a very good drydown, Even the ones I liked the least, I loved the drydown on all.

Waw! Bookwyrmsmith, thank you so much for this opportunity!

Now I need the address of ieChats, because with luck, the Q will take me to the postoffice tomorrow so I can send them on.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Samples arrived in SC this afternoon. I'll begin sampling tomorrow. Hum... what would be the perfect fragrance to go ride, then wash my horse?

iechris,I vote for starting with No.19!It would be an excellent scent for your day of riding,I think and it's good for spring in general.Have fun tomorrow!

I agree, when I read your comment the first one that came into my mind was n19, It will match nicely with Eau de Cheval.
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Okay, time to write up some quick impressions. I'm not good at all about puicking out notes or anything like that.

No. 19
    I took Perfumedlady's suggestion and wore this to the barn. I've tried it before and liked it. To me it is a great green and was perfect for riding around in the freshly cut jump field. I do think this one will go on my to purchase list.

Cristalle Eau Vert
    This one seemed nice enough while it lasted, though i like No. 19 and Ma Griffe better for greens, but then it dried down to just a faint scent, then disappeared entirely.

No. 22
    This was lovely and did last all day. I'd read in the guide that Lady Stetson (which I bought) is kind of a poor man's No 22 and I can see the similarities, though I'd say No. 22 is much smoother. Glad I got a chance to try the real thing!

Allure
    This one drove me nuts when I put it on as I SWORE it smelled so familiar, but I don't own it and have never worn it. I was initially worried I might have used a bit much for work, but it didn't bother me. It did last all day and I really liked it. I think this one will got on the "to buy sometime" list as well.

No. 5 Eau Premiere
    I actually reapplied this one at work as I wore it to the barn in the AM. Very pretty scent, great for work, glad I got to try it, but just not quite "me".

Egoiste
    Wearing this today and my first impression was "Dentyne gum" and not in a bad way! I was looking for a cinnamon fragrance earlier this year and this one is great. I'm interested to see how it lasts, as so far on me it is much quieter than say Allure was. I think I would buy this, or at least get a decant.

Iechris,note breakdowns are just one way of describing fragrances-it's good to have reviews and discussion coming from different angles,too.Your impressions were very interesting to read and I can see your notes being useful for many!I've been thinking lately that I'd like an FB No.19 as well;I've been keeping just a decant of it around.I never used to wear it much but more and more,it strikes me as such a versatile scent.I think it could be a very practical member of my wardrobe without being a scent I'd smell "everywhere".

Blog Entries

Note everyone, USPS charges have increased. There is no longer a rate for 1 oz. or 2 oz. for bubble mailers (or First Class packages in general-- as well as many other rate increases.) The lowest rate for First Class parcels is now $1.71 for up to 3 oz.

See all rates here:
    http://www.usps.com/prices/welcome.htm

I've tested three more of the samples over the last couple of days and have three left to sample. I'm hoping to have the box on its way to Perfumedlady by the end of the week.

Coco
    I was really looking forward to tryng this one since it is an oriental and I tend to really like them . I've read that some poeple don't like the opening, but I did and it reminded me of Youth Dew. As it wore on, I still liked it but it seemed always poised on the edge of turning soapy on me, creating a bit of tension- smells good, almost soapy, smells good, but almost soapy. Although I did like it, I just think it was too close to turning soapy for me. A real disappointment. I still might try the EDT some time. It was very long lasting.

Chance
    Wore this this morning to run a few errands and work in the yard. My initial impression- I smell like the perfume section at the department store. I didn't smell bad and was easy to wear, but just came off as very generic and like a watered down Angel. I'd rather wear Angel or Lolita Lempicka, but this would probably work well in the hot summer.

Pour Monseiur Concentree
    Initial impression with this one was that is was REALLY a masculine. I'll wear masculines, but initially I just thought "this would be great on a guy". Once the intial blast was past, it sweetened up quite a bit and became very wearable. I wore this to the barn and I haven't found the fragrance yet that can stand up to that torture test. I did enjoy it after the initial few minutes and it is one I'd sample again.

Tested the final three this week and the box is now on its way to Perfumedlady.

Cristalle EDP
    This one went on REALLLY sharp and green. The top notes hung around for a bit, then suddenly... Iris. Hey, I can pick out a note! The iris stayed around for a little bit, then it dried down to something that was pretty and long lasting. I liked this but I think I like No 19 better for a green.

Cristalle EDT
    Again very sharp and green in the opening. And then... um... I thought I was wearing a fragrance here. Gone, totally gone. Actually had gotten a sample of this for a synch day (year of your birth- which was today), so I tried it again. Same result. Short opening burst of sharp and green, then gone, no forwarding address.

No 5 EDP
    The one is obviously very pretty and was very long lasting, but just not me. Can't explain it at all. Lovely to sample though.

HUGE thanks to Bookwyrmsmith for organizing this sample swap, I really enjoyed trying these!

Are there any more spots for this? If so, I'd be interested!

Force of one message Tourbillion your address .Matildaben dropped out of the pass so you can take her spot as #7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iechris View Post
    Chance
    Wore this this morning to run a few errands and work in the yard. My initial impression- I smell like the perfume section at the department store.
    Yep! That's what didn't work out in it for me. Well put!

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    Force of one message Tourbillion your address .Matildaben dropped out of the pass so you can take her spot as #7.
    Done! thank you!

The box has arrived and there is LOTS of juice left!All samples are in excellent shape and I will begin shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    Chanel Cristalle EDT - what a smell of Spring! I love the hyacinths! I did not expect to like Cristalle as many described it as cold and even "bitchy", but it is a lovely Spring fragrance on me. If you like Bluebell or Victorian Posy by Penhaligon's, you will be likely to like this, at least I think so.
    You talkin' to me?!I love this!And I do love Bluebell,love and own Victorian Posy.I can't imagine anyone who loves those two not enjoying Cristalle.I prefer the EDT as well,though the extra grassy-minty opening of the EDP is quite nice.I didn't care for Eau Verte;I don't want Cristalle citrus-y,I want it GREEN!My skin was also thirsty for Eau Verte,apparently;it was the worst luck I've had with any Chanel on longevity.I think the EDT will find its way to my wardrobe eventually,maybe even instead of No.19.

Iechris nailed it about Chance for me,too.I happen to like Coco Mademoiselle(I know many don't;I'm o.k. with this),another fruity one that takes a thumping for being "un-Chanel-like" but Chance is the one that really deserves that bad reputation!I did sample the Eau Tendre flanker of Chance not long ago;didn't like it,either but I do feel it's better than the original.

I also want to mention Coco in this post;I'm not sampling it this time as I do have a tiny sample of it.I wore it not long ago since we're having a fairly cold spring and I was in the mood for those spicy topnotes,they are beautiful.Coco does like to go soapy on me,however-and not in a pretty way like No.s 5&19 or Ivoire de Balmain.More of a hissing,loud,headache inducing soapiness.While wearing it though,one thought I kept having was how entirely unisex Coco seems these days.Given the sad reformulation of Opium,people of either gender would do well to sample Coco when shopping for 80's style spice bomb orientals.Congrats to those who wear it better than me!

Looks like I'll be finished by mid-week,probably will have them in the mail to Al Gae by Wed. at the very latest.Of course,I'll be updating before then.Bookwyrmsmith,I'm loving this sampling group-having all the Cristalles here at once was especially helpful to me!
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 30th April 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Almost done!I have only Allure left.Today I am comparing Bookwyrmsmith's vintage No.22 with the sample I have of modern 22,now part of the Exclusifs.I've been sampling my way through the house of Chanel and its Exclusifs range-haven't tried Chance Eau Fraiche(probably don't need to)or Allure Sensuelle(I will) and I have Beige,Gardenia and Eau de Cologne left to try from the Exclusifs.I mention this because not only have I really come to enjoy this house immensely,I've noticed that I apparently have a soft spot for the work of Jacques Polge.No.22 is just one more reason why-the current version is so very true to the original.No.22 is not really my girl,No.5 is my preference of the two but 22 is very lovely with its incense and white florals.The main difference I'm noticing between the vintages are the aldehydes,they are much smoother in the older version.Other than that,it's still very definitely the same scent.
    I was also very impressed by Eau Premiere,it does appear to be most closely related to the EDP version of No.5,my preferred concentration(also by J.P.-surprise!).The aldehydes are toned down a bit,the soapiness is toned down a lot and it is slightly sweeter and fruitier but most certainly it is recognizable as No.5.This could be a good gateway for the younger crowd into Chanel but I also see it as another very valid option when answering the question "which concentration?".No.5 is quite different in its different incarnations;my advice if you do think you'd like to wear it-try them all before making any purchase!And do so on skin,No.5 does not like to perform on a strip of paper(can't blame her,she knows she deserves better!).Even though I know now that there is much more to Chanel than No.5,it does still remain one of my favorites.

The box is on its way to Al Gae!I went ahead and added Tourbillion and Force of One to the list of recipients inside.

Allure reminded me of something,too-Burberry for Women,which I like quite a bit.Allure takes the idea of the fruity vanilla oriental to its elegant extreme.Really enjoyed it more than I expected to,it's very pretty.
    I also liked both of the men's fragrances;Mr.PL has been out of town but he WILL be testing Pour Monsieur Concentree next time we're out shopping,whether he wants to or not.I love it!I agree with what FrouFrou said earlier,Chanel drydowns are to die for,even in the "not my favorite" scents.The way Chanel fragrances dry down is worth the cost alone,let alone I love their aldehydes,too.I'm very happy I've invested so much time sampling this house,definitely time well spent.Thanks Bookwyrmsmith-you've gotten me so close to completing my Chanel sampling!There are far worse things in life than spending a week in Chanel!

Oh, goodie! I'm just wrapping up my C&S samples. I'll post that over there in a second... Excited to try all these Chanels! Between these and the Les Exclusifs I've been waiting to try, not to mention the mainstream masculines I've already tried, I'll have a darn good feel for their line...

Oh,I meant to mention I've been passing on the remains of my Exclusifs samples to Al Gae.Once the box reaches him,he'll be drowning in Chanel.What a way to go!

Al, both the Mister and I have really been enjoying the Chanel samples I've been acquiring, both the classics and the Exclusifs. I think you will have a great time.