Code of Conduct

Default Geranium pour monsieur

Do you think this fragrance is appropriate for the warmer weather? How would you describe this scent?

C

Default Re: Geranium pour monsieur

Definitely a warm weather fragrance. It is a very minty scent. Some people say it smells like toothpaste or mouthwash. But if you have the money to burn, why not? If you are looking for other cheaper options:

Menthe Fraice by Heeley
    Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

Very bright and minty. It generated a huge amount of anticipation here prior to its release. The excitement seemed to dampen quite a bit afterwards. Not that there was dislike or hate, just that the level of interest diminished. A personal impression.

I think of it as a summer scent.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 1st March 2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: I corrected a typographic error.

I think it is good for all year round as it's minty fresh on the opening and drys down to a warm and musky scent. I have always liked this one.

I think this is all-weather appropriate, but only suitable for use in the morning. From what I've read the inspiration for the fragrance was the luxury soaps from a gentleman's childhood. This smells precisely like that, but is preceded by a mint opening that smells like oral hygeine products. The mint is paler & more pleasant than the mint of toothpaste but the association is easily made. I don't mind this as it fades pretty quickly to the geranium luxury soap heart; mint persists in the background lending freshness. The luxury soap heart persists for a few hours before before being rinsed away leaving the smell of musky spiced skin behind. The final phase lasts all day.

I'm very happy with my fifty milliliter & it will be replaced. Probably with a one-hundred milliter!

Summer morning for sure.

I think it works in any weather. Much dislike for this one here on BN but I love it. Especially for a night out.

i love its uniqueness, unlike any other fragrance on the market. this blooms in the heat, the icy cool mint is very chic. this and bigarade concentree are the best hot weather offerings from this house, while BC is more of a playful t-shirt and jeans casual scent, GPM is a linen suit heading to a summer wedding.

It's an anytime scent.

Off-Scenter

I much prefer it in warm weather. I consider it a "fresh," "clean" alternative to the run-of-the-mill masculine aquatics and sports fragrances.

I have tested this one out for a few days now. Its all the above but I fear I should inform you that the staying power on the skin was minimal both in time and effect. If you want to smell nice during those long summer days your gonna have to carry it with you.
    This is from my own personal and little experience, maybe, others can be kinda enough to counter what I say, please?

Personally, warmer temperatures would do it more justice.

Here's my review:

http://scentforthought.blogspot.com/...eur-malle.html

Warm weather really brings out the musky base. I have not had any issues with longevity, however. Two sprays to the chest, and I catch wonderful fresh waves of Geranium all day long. I wear it to work in a professional office.

It's a wonderful and quite complex summer scent - I find it sees me thru a long hot day very nicely. I was on The Gold Coast in Oz recently, 30c with quite a dry heat, and it was perfect. Frankly I feel a bit sorry for those who get stuck with the toothpaste association - the opening reminds me of crushing mint leaves to throw on a cocktail, one of natures freshest green fragrances . . . and the floral aspect is beautifully offset and supported by this throughout the day. It's a very nimble balancing act.

Too be honest, I get nothing but toothpaste with this one.....BUT since I brush everyday, I would say it's a year-round scent!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Faded too fast on me (I find it quite unisex, but prefer Rosine Diabolo Rose, which has similarities.)

I wanted to love it because I love geranium, but the spearmint just kills everything else in it. Toothpaste is a perfect description, IMO.

Listen for Men has the strongest geranium note I've ever experienced.

Wow Trebor - that was a very consise review! No ramblings or "what to be a poet" attitude. It was so accurate to the point I started looking at your other reviews. Thank goodness I found YOU. I looked at your rating system and compared with my own and found most of the time were both in the same "ball Park". I have started collecting and will use your reviews as the confirmation opinion site and BN for an information/ overall review site. Thank you.

A herbaceous, cool mint. I love it!

Basenotes Junkie

Lotta love from me too!! Just wish I could wear it without having an allergic reaction.

Banned

Some may choose to say Geranium pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle is unique, I prefer to say it is discordant. I would not wear it in any season. See ↓↓↓:

Geranium pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle - One is initially treated to a bracing wave of camphorated mint and menthol, quite akin to a Tiger Balm odor, coupled with the lemony green smell of geranium leaf. Synthetic additives, such as anethol, with its anise character, floralozone, with its freshness, and rhodinol, with its citrusy floral dimension, all sophisticate the blend. This fresh opening spends a considerable amount of time wafting. A muted dusting of the concoction by warm cinnamon and earthy clove is feebly and fleetingly sensed, which strangely signals the beginning and end of the middle, if one exists. Thence, the incongruous base takes charge. White musk, with its soapiness, and sandalwood, with its soft and balsamic aspects, as well as sweet and faintly vanillic styrax and a touch of exotic incense forge an alluring base, while ambroxan imparts its velvety, skin-like, ambergris illusion. An inviting drydown ensures. One may choose to say this composition is unique, I prefer to say it is discordant. The projection and longevity for this/these scent(s) are average.

I think this is a pretty versatile fragrance. I could see it working in any season, heavy enough to work in cooler weather, but fresh and minty/floral enough to work in heat. To everyone saying it smells like toothpaste, look past that, the more you try it the less it gives off that vibe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    It's a wonderful and quite complex summer scent - I find it sees me thru a long hot day very nicely. I was on The Gold Coast in Oz recently, 30c with quite a dry heat, and it was perfect. Frankly I feel a bit sorry for those who get stuck with the toothpaste association - the opening reminds me of crushing mint leaves to throw on a cocktail, one of natures freshest green fragrances . . . and the floral aspect is beautifully offset and supported by this throughout the day. It's a very nimble balancing act.
    Totally agree with this. l don't get toothpaste from this at all; just the sweetish, herbal, aromatic scent of fresh garden mint. Perfect as a pick-me-up on a hot, humid day, & it lasts all day on me. Freshness achieved with elegance & class.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

is a very well done scent but I hate the mania of many Malles to give them that camphorated air.
    Itīs good but not for me.

Never worn this by itself. It is the only fragrance I layer (with Musc Ravageur)