Code of Conduct

Default can you guys tell me about gift sets?

do people prefer them less because there is no box soley for the frag? do they only make giftsets for the extremely popular frags? some of them are cheaper than actually buying the frag alone. i recently bought tdh giftset and it was cheaper than tdh without the aferhsave/ bodywash. granted it wasn't such a huge difference and the bodywash and aftershave were in small travel sizes.

Default Re: can you guys tell me about gift sets?

If I can get a gift set for less than the cost of buying the bottle itself, I'll do it. I like sampling the bodywashes / aftershaves. Sometimes they include a travel size spray too.

For me, I never purchase gift sets. I find them to be a waste of money.

Gift sets can very easily help you make a hefty saving on fragrances! They are usually very prominent around holidays, particularly Christmas and Valentines Day. The idea is that companies bring in lots of gift sets in the hope that people purchase them as gifts, then due to the lack of demand and the excess room taken up by the stock, they reduce them afterwards. For example, just after Christmas I managed to find a Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male gift set which contained a 75ml bottle and a deodorant stick for £30. When you compare this to the £37 it would have cost for the bottle alone, you see the kind of savings that can be made.
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

personally I'd never buy the, but that's just me.
    1. i like my frags to have their individual boxes
    2. i wear a different scent each day so having an aftershave balm, deodorant, etc is useless to me
    3. the large boxes take up more space
    4. somehow it feels like I'm being cheap by buying a whole matching scent
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I wont buy a giftset unless it is a very good deal. For exalmple i bought a gift set of a ghost captivating fragrance and body lotion for £11.50 when the rrp was £23. i also like to have a matching item!

I don't usually purchase gift sets, but they are usually cheaper than buying the fragrance alone. I guess the reason would be that I rarely ever use the cologne etc. That in turn makes me feel like I wasted money purchasing a gift set even though I paid less than the fragrance itself.

If it's a staple in my wardrobe and cheaper than the bottle of fragrance alone, yes, definitely. I don't care about boxes. But if it costs any more than bottle alone, no. Because I also don't really care much about the side items (except travel sprays, love those). But I have 4 daughters with varying tastes so nothing goes to waste here.

Sur la Plage

I usually buy them to give as gifts.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mervin View Post
    Gift sets can very easily help you make a hefty saving on fragrances! They are usually very prominent around holidays, particularly Christmas and Valentines Day. The idea is that companies bring in lots of gift sets in the hope that people purchase them as gifts, then due to the lack of demand and the excess room taken up by the stock, they reduce them afterwards. For example, just after Christmas I managed to find a Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male gift set which contained a 75ml bottle and a deodorant stick for £30. When you compare this to the £37 it would have cost for the bottle alone, you see the kind of savings that can be made.
    +1

If you wait 'till January you should be able to get a set for around 30% - 35% less than the frag alone.

Then you can give away or sell the other bits (good ol' eBay!), or take them with you when you go on holiday to Cuba to give away as gratuities

Basenotes Plus

As has been mentioned, you can often pick up a gift set for the same price or less than the bottle alone, so they are more economical.
    I prefer sets with lotions, rather than body wash, because lotion can help extend or refresh your fragrance. The men's sets usually have body wash or shaving or deo items, tho- which I pass on to others.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I like gift sets that have items not usually sold like perfume scented candles.

I won't buy them if its something i'm trying out but i do buy then if i know its a scent i absolutely love because gift sets, although more money, usually aren't that much more expensive.