Code of Conduct

Default first full bottle of Guerlain: Shalimar, Mitsouko or l'Attrape Coeur

I've smelled em all and would love to buy all three, but can't really afford that! Right now I'm leaning toward Mitsouko, but...

Shalimar
    pros:
    more affordable online
    opulent and lovely, but somehow happier than Mitsouko
    maybe most wearable for every day?

cons:
    not as skanky
    more common

Mitsouko
    pros:
    I really love it... mysterious and sexy
    Love the skank!
    more affordable online

cons:
    somewhat more common than l'Attrape Coeur
    a little bit sad?
    maybe less wearable than

l'Attrape Coeur
    pros:
    limited edition, less common
    has the skank
    happier

cons:
    maybe too sweet?
    not as much of a classic
    expensive, only available at the boutique

Default Re: first full bottle of Guerlain: Shalimar, Mitsouko or l'Attrape Coeur

My vote for Mitsouko.

But if you like more gourmand, l'Heure Bleue should be considered as well.

cacio

Default Re: first full bottle of Guerlain: Shalimar, Mitsouko or l'Attrape Coeur

Test them all, decide what works best on your skin. All three are well-deserving fragrances, but you are buying for YOUR-precious-SELF! Buy the smallest bottle possible -- you may get tired of the big bottle. If possible, try different formulations and concentrations -- they have been changed significantly over the years.

In your shoes -- L'Attrape Coeur -- it is unique.

I have a brand new in cellophaned wrap Shalimar EDT 30ml - sitting in my wardrobe just waiting to be swapped with something!

I have tested them all (though not in every formulation), but I'm still torn! I think it's really a contest between Mitsouko (for my love of it) and L'Attrape Coeur (for its limited unique-ness)...

I do love l'Heure Bleue and it was on my slightly longer shortlist, but it's slightly outpaced by the others... A bit too cold for me.

aww thanks, kccparis, but i'm probably going to spring for the EDP

also, I am obsessed with all things guerlainade BUT Vol de Nuit makes me SICK. WHY?

Blog Entries

i whould choose Mitsouko it's tastfull
    but you can get whatever works on your skin

Blog Entries

As one of her devoted admirers I admonish you that there can be only one answer; Mitsouko, Mitsouko or Mitsouko. Choose wisely.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 3rd March 2011 at 03:03 AM.

Well, if you can still find Attrape Coeur, then I would go with that before Mitsouko and Shalimar.

Mitsy and Shalimar are part of the permanent perfume portfolio, whilst Attrape Coeur has just been discontinued again.
    Get it while its hot!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes velourial
    Very interesting conundrum. I agree with Twolf and Sorcery...Attrape Coeur is about to become scarce- grab it while you can, if you like it on your skin. Otherwise I'd go with Mitsy. Shalimar is everywhere- I'd go for the Shalimar eau legere for something a bit different.

Interesting, your comment on Vol de Nuit. That it the only Guerlain I almost regret buying- there's just something about it that smells stale on me- but I only have the EDT.
    And I find L'Heure Bleu a little cool on me too in the modern formulation- I have a vintage EDC which is richer and warmer- somehow?

For happy- what about Apres L'ondee??
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Another vote for Mitsouko. It has managed to come through the dreaded reformulation far better than poor Shalimar. The latter is a shadow of its former glory.
    DONNA