Code of Conduct

Default What do you do with all your fragrances that you don't really enjoy?

I have a 1 oz bottle of A*men that is about 90%+ full, and don't know what to do with it? I don't really like it, and I have no use for it. What do you do with fragrances that you purchase new, and later found out that you don't like it? I would use it as air freshener, but it's just too potent to spray it in my car, or in my rooms.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: What do you do with all your fragrances that you don't really enjoy?

I put them in a empty shoe-box, located somewhere on the bottom in my closet.. There are quite many of them! :-(

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

My babysister and my nephew gets my 'leftovers'.

Default Re: What do you do with all your fragrances that you don't really enjoy?

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I have a 1 oz bottle of A*men that is about 90%+ full, and don't know what to do with it? I don't really like it, and I have no use for it. What do you do with fragrances that you purchase new, and later found out that you don't like it? I would use it as air freshener, but it's just too potent to spray it in my car, or in my rooms.
    Funny you mention A*men. I got a decanter of that from The Perfumed Court and for some reason I bought a bottle at Macy's. It smells wonderful when sprayed and on paper, but when I got the decanter and tried it, it was just too overwhelming for me. And I really don't mind sweet or floral scents. It's too heavy and it's almost a smothering scent. And it never dies. When I went to put my jacket on the next day, I could still smell it.

SO I think I'm going to return my bottle and give away the decanter to a friend. I think maybe you could sell your bottle as a split or auction it off on eBay unless you have a friend who will buy it from you, or just gift them with it

I swap them on youtube, during the monthly swaps

After a while, I give them to my nephews - who usually like them more than I do.

But I test them again just before I do it.

Several days ago I tested Luciano Soprani Uomo before passing it on. Then I scratched my head and wondered why I hadn't like it. And wound up wearing it the next three days in a row. The nephew missed out.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Anytime now someone will likely post, as has happened before, that they just throw them away! What a waste! At least, if you don't sell trade or give- away as the previous posts have mentioned, consider donating them to a homeless shelter or local social service agency. Adding some other toiletry items like combs, razors, nail clippers, soap, deodorant, shampoo, tissues, toothbrushes and bandaids would be very welcome. Some thrift stores also sell donations of scents. Check first because some throw out the juice and just sell the bottle- I repeat- what a waste!
    Hope you find a happy home for your cast-offs!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I have a friend I usually pass them on to or my nephew gets them. I'm struggling with Jaipur at the moment. I'll give it a few more wearings but it may have to go to my friend to see if he likes it. Shame for me- Good for him though!
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless I think it's awful (or I hate the notes, like harsh violet leaf), I will keep trying to grasp it. If I think I'm done with it, it goes on my sales/swap lists, or possibly ebay as part of a group lot usually.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Unless I think it's awful (or I hate the notes, like harsh violet leaf), I will keep trying to grasp it. If I think I'm done with it, it goes on my sales/swap lists, or possibly ebay as part of a group lot usually.
    Me too
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sell them on BN, but like Bigsly, I tend to keep them around awhile first, thinking I might change my mind. And I always keep a small sample for reference.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    You could donate your bottle of A*Men to your local police force to help them fight crime.lol

If you're looking to get rid of it just let me know! No reason for it to go to waste ya know.
    Reviews geared for the younger crowd: www.thecolognereview.com

Currently hosting bottle splits of Bond No. 9 Bleecker St, and Creed Selection Verte ///PM details

I sell them, trade them, give them away, smash them against the wall in a rage....depends on the fragrance.

Sometimes I post "free to good home" threads here and send them to members who might appreciate them more than I do. To me, that seems like a good way to get some more use out of them.

Banned

Other uses:

Paperweight
    Book-End
    Bathroom Decor accessory (looks nice on the shelf)
    Doorstop
    Craft project (paint the bottle, or perhaps decoupage it)
    Security (bash a home intruder over the head with it)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    You could donate your bottle of A*Men to your local police force to help them fight crime.lol
    Yeah, a spray of A*men to the face of a criminal can do more harm than tazor...lol
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I give mine away to relatives.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Never bought a fragrance I didn't enjoy.

Last edited by Descartes; 26th March 2013 at 09:49 PM.

I give them away, or try to sell/trade them or hope that maybe a day will come when the fragrance has the wow factor it once had.

Blog Entries

I am going to offer them for swap or trade here on basenotes. It seems to have the audience where someone might appreciate it. I know the sense of disappointment after ordering a sample from luckyscent or the perfumed court, and learning that maybe you just don't like this scent. I had ordered samples of Creed's Silver Mountain Mist off ebay, only to test it in a local Seattle perfumery (Nasreen's) where i realized I didn't like it. . . . When my sample arrived, it confirmed what I had just learned. So, I'm glad I didn't buy a bottle.

I am starting to get really into this swap thing! Great way to pick up some of the ones that you want while getting rid of the ones that you are not as big on anymore.

Blog Entries

Do you have to be a "paying member" of BN to participate on the Swaps board?

what the "monthly swaps" on youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Never bought a fragrance I didn't enjoy.

I wish I had that kind of fortitude. The occasional blind buy or top-note infatuation ensures I have at least a couple of stinkers. But anything that falls from favor ends up going to local charities.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Banned

for the swaps, how can you be sure they wont rip you off/keep your swapand not send theirs?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by mambac View Post
    for the swaps, how can you be sure they wont rip you off/keep your swapand not send theirs?
    You can't really. It's based on trust. Members with a more established presence on the forums are also less likely to do anything stupid like scooting off with your swaps & ruin their hard-earned reputation.

mmmm....what is it you don't like and don't know what to do with it/them?

I'm looking for a bottle of Kouros that "somebody doesn't really enjoy". P.M. if interested.

i just started trading here on basenotes and so far I haven't had a bad experience.

just keep it for reference. Not unless I am able to sell it.

I give them to friends, parents, etc....... obviously if they like them.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garons man 2