Code of Conduct

Cool looking for a refined mossy-woody aquatic cologne within $60 , need recommendations plz !!!

Hallo world

I'm a big fan of moss & pine needles under delicate citrous-aqauatic top notes .

Am looking for something close to "COOL WATER" and "AZZARO CHROME" in terms of tangy-mossy-woody feel , but with the refinement of YSL & sweetness of Blvgari .

I just love the dry-down smell of Bvlgari pour homme - tea leaves , musky & slightly sweet . But it lacks the sharp mossy smell of Azzaro Chrome which I adore too !

Could you guys recommend a CROSS between Cool Water/Chrome & Bvlgari PH , with reasonably good sillage & projection ? Well , within $60 too .

Thanks in advance !

Default Re: looking for a refined mossy-woody aquatic cologne within $60 , need recommendations plz !!!

maybe cerruti 1881
    possibly aramis new west

Blog Entries

Default Re: looking for a refined mossy-woody aquatic cologne within $60 , need recommendations plz !!!

It's going to be hard to find one single fragrance that meets all of your criteria, but I'll name a few that you should try.

Versace Pour Homme has the smooth slightly sweet vibe of Bvlgari Pour Homme (but doesn't smell the same). But it also lacks the mossiness you seek.
    Bvlgari Aqva has a saltiness to it that may be a good substitute for the mossiness of Chrome. It's not as refined as Pour Homme, but it is my favorite Bvlgari. And it's much better than Chrome in my opinion.
    212 Men may be another option. Green, grassy, aromatic, aquatic. Again closer to Chrome than Bvlgari.
    L'eau D'Issey would be an option to try. Some around here find it loud and annoying, but I really like it.
    Bleu de Chanel may be the best bet though. It has the fresh citrus top, but a REALLY nice dry down. It's one that just gets better the longer it is on the skin.

Another one you should definitely try is Creed Erolfa. You probably won't be able to get a full, new bottle of it in your price range. But if you can find someone selling decants, or splitting it, 1 oz. (30 ml) should go for roughly $60.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 5th March 2011 at 05:06 PM.

Fahrenheit Aqua.

Guy Laroche Horizon

A little on the light side, but Pino Silvestre can be had very cheaply (at least in italy)

cacio

a big thanks to all u beautiful people ... special one for Golfer

i'll try to articulate what exactly i'm looking for & not ...

i need an almost carbon copy BUT A MORE REFINED TWIN BROTHER of Davidoff Cool Water !! Strong Oak-moss notes with a musky fruity sweet woody dry down

I already have Bvlgari Aqua ( and Aqua Marine ) . yes they are salty with a bland & unpleasant dry down . I just dont enjoy them . Doesnt work on my skin . Not good enough projection . They lack the oak-moss tones too , which I need !

Azzaro Chrome is great , excellent sillage & projection , but its metallic & too pungent and citrous , not sweet like Bvlgari PH

I also own Armani Acqua Di Gio ... too mild and leafy , no projection . Woody yes , but no moss

CK Be & CK One ... mild sweet , no moss

So .... to summarise again , i need the BIG DADDY of Cool Water ( not overpoweringly masculine & dated like Grey Flannel / Azzaro PH ) but well orchestrated with a musky sweet dry down .... any recommendations ??

Thanks

Blog Entries

Well, you are describing Green Irish Tweed to a lot of people here. The same situation would apply as with Erolfa. You could probably get a large decant within your price range.

Otherwise, give L'eau D'Issey or Bleu de Chanel a shot.

Another option would be Platinum Egoiste. I get a Cool Water type vibe from the top notes of it. It is long lasting, has oakmoss in the base (I think), and projects like crazy too.

Romeo Gigli Man might interest you. I just received a bottle of it this morning and it seems to fit the description of what you are looking for....

It opens with citrus notes and a slightly sweet floral aroma (i believe it's the geranium note paired with mandarin) which lingers for about half an hour or so, it gradually transitions into a fresh, woodsy accord with what i would describe as a 'watery' vibe (not ocean-like in any sense...it doesn't smell like or resemble the sea...think more along the lines of fresh water)....there is some spice evident here, though it is very light and not immediately apparent....the fresh aquatic accord holds for a while and very gradually fades as the woods and musk hold down the base.

The perfumier is Alberto Morillas who also worked on some Bvlgari scents, like bvlgari blv, bvlgari man, and the carolina herrera scents 212, 212 sexy men, and 212 VIP. I think these kind of combine the vibe your looking for, so it makes me think that Morillas is the right nose for you.

I would describe this as a very refined scent...no one note is particularly dominant at any stage and the middle accord is very well-blended...it is at its 'sharpest' in the opening where it appears as a sweet green floral though it's not long before this settles....the middle accord is my favorite part, and where I began to realize how well-constructed this fragrance actually is.

The longevity is decent, 4 to 6 hours, though if you're looking for something that really projects this may not be for you. While it does project to a degree, it falls on the weaker side of the spectrum (not exactly a skin scent, but nowhere near a projection monster).

But to get back to your original point, Romeo Gigli Man does indeed have citrus top notes, an aquatic yet woodsy middle and a musky base that is a little sweet (probably due to what is remaining from the opening).

The best part about it....This stuff is cheap! I got a 3.4 oz. bottle brand new in box for 22.95. So it's worth a shot, even if it doesn't turn out to be exactly what you're looking for, you're still getting a good frag at a very low price.

One more recommendation. A little known secret named R de Revillon, created by Maurice Roucel and it sells for peanuts.
    Just buy it, even if it isn't exactly what you want, you will definitely like it very much.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with the New West by Aramis recommendation
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

My recommendation for your criteria is Bulgari Soir. Partly Bulgari PH, partly Bulgari Blu.

Boum Pour Homme

Perry Ellis Night is refined, refreshing and sensual fragrance, launched in 2010. It opens with vibrant notes of red orange, pomelo and citrus leafs. Confident style is reflected in the heart of yuzu, geranium and cedar, placed on a seductive base of amber wood, black moss and musk. Available as 100 ml EDT.

I have a bottle only sprayed once I'm looking to get rid of. With a name like "Night" I was thinking it would be a heavy oriental but it is not. I'm a noob though so forgive me.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

i really really really recommend u try kiton men

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree with the New West by Aramis recommendation
    This is what you want and need.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

fountain

bulgari soir is excellent stuff.

I am hearing of a cheap contender that stands up as an upgrade of $30 Cool Water but falls short of the $150 Green Irish Tweed .... its $40 "Jacomo De Jacomo - Deep Blue" .

From what I hear its got the DNA of the mossy Cool Water , and a pleasant musky dry down . Just the stuff I was looking for ... at least it seems so .

Any comments plz ??
    Last edited by hollowcaste; 6th March 2011 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hollowcaste View Post
    I am hearing of a cheap contender that stands up as an upgrade of $30 Cool Water but falls short of the $150 Green Irish Tweed .... its $40 "Jacomo De Jacomo - Deep Blue" .

From what I hear its got the DNA of the mossy Cool Water , and a pleasant musky dry down . Just the stuff I was looking for ... at least it seems so .

Any comments plz ??
    I tried it and liked it for the first hour, then I couldn't even smell it. So I got rid of it.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Try out the new Ocean Wet Wood by DSquared. Sounds like a good match for a try. I paid under $40 for mine and am happy with it.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Bleu De Chanel, Versace Homme Or Bulgari Aqua.
    -AVENTUS-

A couple of cheap ones you should check out are 50 Cent's Power and Usher UR. Both are better than most celebrity scents. Power has a really strong Oakmoss base under a unique mix of medicinal type herbs and a sweet tart type of dry fruit. And Usher's UR starts out with a slight melon note layered over a really smooth,sweet, herbal middle & woody base. (it's not oak moss, but it's a mix of cashmere and Guaiac wood that creates a really silky smooth, sweet mossy dry down).

I also am a huge fan of Cool Water & these two, while different, really give me that same kind of "vibe". I would love to find more of these types of scents myself. I've tried a couple that are recommended as Cool Water type scents (Animale's Azul and Wings by Giorgio of BH) but I didn't like either. (Azul was really awful & smelled like hairspray). Anyway, hopefully you might like these two. Also, give some of the Cool Water flankers a try too. Cool Water Summer Fizz is my all-time favorite (I like it better than original CW because it tones down the super bright lavender in the beginning & has a darker, mossier base).

try l'bleu d issey, a very unconventionaly fresh scent! Very different and very mossy and a bit bitter

Try Aqua Quorum by Puig. It's a mossy, woodsy, citrusy and aquatic fougere and has been described as a distant cousin to Creed GIT. You can get a new 100 ml bottle for under $30.

Blog Entries

Kenzo Pour Homme or even L'eau Par Kenzo might fit the bill?

Another vote for Guy Laroche Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by Hollandaze View Post
    Kenzo Pour Homme or even L'eau Par Kenzo might fit the bill?
    The first one Kenzo Pour Homme sounds like an exact description of what you are looking for.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

+1 for Ocean Wet Wood. It's a little Cool Waterish in the opening but after that the sea spray and wood note comes into play and it's really a nice aquatic that not everyone wears.

I think "mossy woody aquatic" is the best way to describe New West in three words.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Davidoff Echo

I just bought new west something very herbal about it I don't pick up much aquatic in it
    -AVENTUS-

Gentlemen / Amigos

finally .. finally ... finally .... got what i wanted ... THE BIG DADDY OF "COOL WATER" , at half its price
    its an oldie alright , and very few knows about it ... but what a gem of the 90s !!

its AQUA QUORUM by ANTONIO PUIG ...... remarkable stuff , highly recommended !!
    check out the link :
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120115.html
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120115.html

dont miss a chance to take a sniff , after waving off the slightly alcoholic top notes

enjoy !!

thanks to all , for excellent suggestions ... appreciated !!

Quote Originally Posted by fperdices View Post
    Try Aqua Quorum by Puig. It's a mossy, woodsy, citrusy and aquatic fougere and has been described as a distant cousin to Creed GIT. You can get a new 100 ml bottle for under $30.
    thanks friend .... respect awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Another vote for Guy Laroche Horizon
    getting this too , in a few days .
    the bottle looks unique , hope the juice is too

Horizon is also very herbal, so I advise caution.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    Horizon is also very herbal, so I advise caution.
    uh-oh ... really ?
    i really hated New West to the guts ... my $60 went down the drains on that one . it smells like smoked tweeds , horrible chemical .

fingers crossed , blind buys are not good always , i know . Thanks for the caution :|

solo loewe intense
    agua de loewe Úl

Too bad you hated New West--whatever you do, don't throw it away. I recommend multiple wearings (after giving it some time). I didn't like this one the first time I tried it since there was some sour note on my skin, but once I understood (or thought I understood) what it was doing or supposed to be doing (_not_ a traditional aquatic in my mind), I really took a liking to it.

Hello my friend - i almost understand what you are saying . it has happened with me too , what you write off the first day as utterly repulsive - if you revisit it after 15 days ... voila ... you dont dislike it that much . Brain is a funny piece of wiring indeed .
    But New West ... well well well ... no i am not throwing it away ... looking for buyers on eBay just one intellegent buyer like you , is all i need :-) bought it for $60 , $50-55 is my "buy it now" !!
    BTW what i have the new 're-formulated' one , the one with clear bottle & square shoulder ( not the round blue bottle , which my memory tells me - was divine to smell ... my dad's signature frag ). i think they screwed up the new recipe or something . its not an AQUATIC ... no more . its a smoky mess IMHO .

Banned
    Blog Entries

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland.

$35 - $45 tops.