Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I just don't 'get' Green Irish Tweed..

I have the 4.0 oz. bottle, bought it about a year ago. Wore it often. I'll guesstimate that my bottle is down to 75%, and I usually wore it if I needed a safe scent that gets compliments. No complaints there. But I don't enjoy wearing it. As hard as I tried, I just don't 'get' it and click with it like I do with Aventus, MI, or OV. Anyone else have this problem with certain scents that everyone else seems to love and go nuts over?

Default Re: I just don't 'get' Green Irish Tweed..

I think we all have probably tried a popular fragrance and just not understood why everyone else has gone absolutely gaga over it, even if we recognize some good (but not great) things about it...however, for me GIT is not one of them. It's a well-made classic that truly deserves its popularity.

I think it's best to hate what your wearing as long as other people are attracted to what you smell like. I personally have found with Creed (I own Aventus and GIT - MI and VIW on the way right now) once their fragrances become unnoticeable to your own senses - they stand out most. Too many people overspray "6-12 sprays" and it's just unnecessary. Once you cannot smell your own fragrance and can accept this people will notice it and possibly not even compliment it. Smelling great in a subtle way is better than being known for smelling too "good" in a strong way.

I feel the same way about GIT, CW, and the myriad other similar frags.
    And I will add Egoiste, Heritage, LpNo.9; all of them are scrubbers for me, and yet they are loved by many.

I have no issues with GIT.

The current Cool Water formulation would be one I struggle with. I've also struggled with Opium ph in the past but I'm starting to 'get it' now that I'm experiencing a greater variety of fragrances more often.

I'll swap you a 3.3oz of Riverside Drive for it, lol.
    For Swap or Sell: Green Irish Tweed 4.0oz 55% full. Bond No. 9 7ml travel spray of West Side. Le Male 2.50z 92% full with stopper, no can.

Looking for: Aventus, Millesime Imperial, Virgin Island Water, Erolfa, Rose 31, Hypnose by Lancome, Platinum Egoiste. Still open to other offers, though.

It's kind of like how many guys are into Jessica Alba, but you may think she's too skinny for you, and you're into more of a BBW (Big Beautiful Women) Carney Wilson etc.. GIT is the Jessica Alba...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I'm the same as you OP, but when it comes to MI.

I love GIT and Aventus, but to me MI doesnt capture me as the other two do which is odd because its one that gets a lot of hype as well.

negged brah

There are a lot of fragrances that everyone love, and I just don't "get". I think you just have to respect everyone has different taste, as well as nose, and skin chemistry. To me in this situation it depends on what you're going for. If you're going to please yourself you need to pick another bottle. But you said it's getting you compliments, so if that's the goal, you may just have to learn to live with it.
    Reviews geared for the younger crowd: www.thecolognereview.com

Currently hosting bottle splits of Bond No. 9 Bleecker St, and Creed Selection Verte ///PM details

Creed's Bois De Portugal is the scent that most everyone adores around here, but I just don't get.
    But GIT I get.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgonigal View Post
    negged brah

There are a lot of fragrances that everyone love, and I just don't "get". I think you just have to respect everyone has different taste, as well as nose, and skin chemistry. To me in this situation it depends on what you're going for. If you're going to please yourself you need to pick another bottle. But you said it's getting you compliments, so if that's the goal, you may just have to learn to live with it.
    Ohhh snap lol.. sup brah! I'm sure you already know i'm thecokebaron on the misc, I just figured out who you were haha.. I was looking and the name seemed so familiar from somewhere, and then I saw the signature. I should neg myself.

But yeah I definitely agree with you, its different tastes in the end. I was just curious if there were others who experience this with other popular scents. I'll keep GIT for the hell of it since I got it legit from Creed. Anyways brah, you should consider doing a Millesime Imperial split, I think it would be popular.

I have no issues with GIT either.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu25 View Post
    Ohhh snap lol.. sup brah! I'm sure you already know i'm thecokebaron on the misc, I just figured out who you were haha.. I was looking and the name seemed so familiar from somewhere, and then I saw the signature. I should neg myself.

But yeah I definitely agree with you, its different tastes in the end. I was just curious if there were others who experience this with other popular scents. I'll keep GIT for the hell of it since I got it legit from Creed. Anyways brah, you should consider doing a Millesime Imperial split, I think it would be popular.
    You think there would be interest? I'll put something together tomorrow and put it up if you're interested.

Currently hosting bottle splits of Bond No. 9 Bleecker St, and Creed Selection Verte ///PM details

My first Creed was GIT and I loved it, but one day I decided I was tired of the scent. Then I got MI and immediately decided it was overhyped and traded it. I no longer own GIT (I might get another bottle), but I tried MI again and I wear it 3 or 4 times a week...sometimes you need to give the scent a chance (as you did with GIT) before you can determine if you like it or not. I finally got some Aventus samples today.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgonigal View Post
    You think there would be interest? I'll put something together tomorrow and put it up if you're interested.
    I think there would be, yes. Maybe run it by the misc thread first and see if we get any positive replies. It is a great alternative to Aventus, which was very popular in the cologne crew, and with spring rolling around, it would be a perfect time, especially with it being as pricey as it is, splits are awesome for getting good scents for an accessible price.

Digger- Definitely! Hope you like Aventus, its my favorite.

While GIT is quite popular and loved by many, nothing is universally loved.

If you don't really dig it, you don't really dig it. There's nothing wrong with you.

I never liked GIT until I got some from a fresh batch from the Creed Boutique. The stuff I was trying before was rancid from Ebay or an unofficial retailer.

I think there would be, yes. Maybe run it by the misc thread first and see if we get any positive replies. It is a great alternative to Aventus, which was very popular in the cologne crew, and with spring rolling around, it would be a perfect time, especially with it being as pricey as it is, splits are awesome for getting good scents for an accessible price.

Digger- Definitely! Hope you like Aventus, its my favorite.
    Will do, I'll get this Jubilation XXV split finished and shipped out. Then I'll look into the the MI. The wait for Aventus is pissing me off immensely as it's making me look bad.

GIT is nice enough but, to me, it seems a bit overpriced. I can take it or leave it.

I usually agree with the general consensus when it comes to very popular fragrances but oddly enough, I'm also not a big fan of GIT.

Blog Entries

I respect GIT, but I don't really enjoy the smell of it. It's a well-done fragrance that's just not my style. No point in trying to force myself to like it. Then again, I didn't buy a 4 ounce bottle of it.

If you bought it legit from Neimans or Creed or whatever, maybe you could do a GIT split. I'm sure lots of people are interested enough to want to buy some instead of throwing down for a full bottle.

That being said, as a word of warning, Basenotes doesn't allow sales of splits on the main boards, only the sales board, and you have to have been a member for a long time, or have a certain number of posts before you're allowed to start a thread there (as a way of keeping out spammers and people who are only here for the money, not the love). If you try to set up a split here, or look like you're going to, the mods will shut down the thread.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I have the 4.0 oz. bottle, bought it about a year ago. Wore it often. I'll guesstimate that my bottle is down to 75%, and I usually wore it if I needed a safe scent that gets compliments. No complaints there. But I don't enjoy wearing it. As hard as I tried, I just don't 'get' it and click with it like I do with Aventus, MI, or OV. Anyone else have this problem with certain scents that everyone else seems to love and go nuts over?

I purchased a tester of GIT last summer and after a brief trial sold my bottle. I just didn't get GIT either at that time and now I think my bottle was stale or something. The fragrance I tried at the time was weak. I subsequently have tried other samples and recently purchased a flacon of what I believe is an excellent and strong batch of GIT perfume. While not at the very top my Creeds, GIT is enjoyable and it is growing on me. I like the fact that it is versatile. Maybe you and GIT have just run the course and it's time for a break or separation! No harm, no foul...many great fragrances await.

Martin

Terre D'Hermes is one I just can't figure out. I must be anosmic to it. I just get Iso E Super and literally nothing else.
    Current Favorites - Creed Green Irish Tweed, Costume National Homme, Hanae Mori HiM EDP, Chanel Platinum Egoiste

What jubilation XXV split?

I have worn many different types of colognes and my wife almost never comments on any, even if i don't get much of a compliment. I bought some GIT and bam a compliment without even asking her opinion.

Basenotes Institution

I don't 'get' Green Irish Tweed either. And I've tried it many times. Just annoys me, when I smell it.

Oh well.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Creed's Bois De Portugal is the scent that most everyone adores around here, but I just don't get.
    But GIT I get.
    Renato
    +1. I think B-D-P is a great scent, but to be honest.. It is "a bit" overrated

I have the 4.0 oz. bottle, bought it about a year ago. Wore it often. I'll guesstimate that my bottle is down to 75%, and I usually wore it if I needed a safe scent that gets compliments. No complaints there. But I don't enjoy wearing it. As hard as I tried, I just don't 'get' it and click with it [...]
    I don't like the stuff either, but I really liked your post because you gave the stuff so much chance. I really like it when people really work a scent over and give it every chance they can. I really respect that and think it comes down to the best part of the scent hunt--saying you know yourself and how you like to smell well enough to give up a scent you don't like despite the compliments.

A tip of the hat to you!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I don't get it at all either. I love the scent it's just sometimes th opening starts off extremely harsh and other times its quite fresh. The drydown Is always great though and it gets a lot of compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    Terre D'Hermes is one I just can't figure out. I must be anosmic to it. I just get Iso E Super and literally nothing else.
    +1.

Add me to the "I Don't Get Green Irish Tweed" list. To me it smells extremely dated, and it also doesn't help that I'm not a fan of violet accords.

I get it. I love it, actually, though I think it is overpriced of course. I understand those who don't get it or like it, but to me it is seamlessly constructed and timeless. I can understand certain accords - specifically the violet - just not working for everyone.

Regards,
    T
    Last edited by TRBeck; 9th March 2011 at 11:12 AM.

My Wardrobe:
    Yves St. Laurent Live Jazz
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Comme des Garcons 2 Man

It's not a problem if you don't enjoy it. I personally love GIT, I have a 1 oz bottle for a year and 2 months and I still have like 0.2oz left because I wear it when I feel like it and to be honest I don't see it at all as a casual safe scent.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    I usually agree with the general consensus when it comes to very popular fragrances but oddly enough, I'm also not a big fan of GIT.
    Okay. So I tried GIT again at a local store, still wasn't crazy about it. Felt the same way I did every other time I smelled it. It was very rich and deep, but not my kind of smell.

It eventually wore down and I took a shower. For the rest of the weekend, I kept thinking about the smell. I couldn't get it off my mind, like a song replaying in my head.

I went back and had them spray GIT on a card, and I just sat there and kept smelling it. It didn't smell any different than every other time, but I think became addicted to it.

The next time I come back, I might be buying a bottle. I owe GIT an apology. It's pretty good.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    But GIT I get.
    Renato
    I feel the same way. What's the big deal with BdP? To me it's the most conventional accord, albeit well-rendered. But to be the bestseller that it is . . . beyond me.

GIT - I get it, but I don't get get it. Here's the thing: the whole synthetic green top was really groundbreaking when it came out 25 years ago. Obviously it paved the way for Davidoff. These days, it seems well done and very wearable, but kinda tired to me. I've smelled this before, many many many times. It smells wonderful, but fails to capture my imagination.

Another one I don't get is Chrome by Azzaro. Again, it's well made, and it does successfully simulate the smell of metal. But . . . so what? It was one of those scents that seemed sort of overhyped.

Dont get it either but I get even less why you bought the friggin thing in the first place then...
    Smellin good

I don't get it either. But it's not my kind of fragrance, so I know it's just not for me.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I feel the same way. What's the big deal with BdP?
    This dude used to wear it...

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    This dude used to wear it...

Except for (recently retired) old Creed propaganda sheets, would you be so kind to point us to a neutral/credible source that would corroborate that assertion? Thank you infinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Dont get it either but I get even less why you bought the friggin thing in the first place then...
    LOL timaru! I enjoy the top notes but hate the dry down on my skin. Not enjoyable.
    - Expect the unexpected

I still believe that Pierre Bourdon, um pardon me, "Olivier Creed" created in GIT a great fragrance.

Especially as it used to smell twelve years ago... one of the most memorable fragrances I ever worn.

These days the brand tends to do it on the cheap, so some of the magic is lost, but it is still a great classic. As opposed to my friend Flaconneur, I enjoy the drydown more than the topnotes. IF you click with it, it's more for yourself to enjoy then for the outside world.

If you don't, well, then I guess you don't. Not a tragedy, it's just perfume not the elixir of youth lol!
    Last edited by Addict; 24th March 2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    I think we all have probably tried a popular fragrance and just not understood why everyone else has gone absolutely gaga over it, even if we recognize some good (but not great) things about it...however, for me GIT is not one of them. It's a well-made classic that truly deserves its popularity.
    I think Back to Black By Kilian smells more like Robitussin than cologne.
    My wanted thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/265086 (currently in search of a bottle of Kiton Black)
    My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/270368

Different people have different likes/dislikes.
    This should not trouble you.
    Feel no need to "get it"

To me GIT is the best of a very boring genre of fragrance. It really is quite nice, but for the price it commands there is no way I could justify buying it. If it went for designer retail prices, I'm sure I would have a bottle...

I used to think it was ok but the more I smelled it the more I liked it. I have a bottle, it is not my favorite Creed but I like it.

I currently am sampling another decant of GIT and I just can't help myself. I find myself wondering what the hype is about. While albeit it is a pleasant scent it is more on the safe side. I have had multiple compliments with this fragrance however it is definitely not what I expected. GIT is a great safe scent. If you are looking into the niche side of things you cannot go wrong with GIT as a great starting point. It smells familiar, I get the similarity to cool water without the synthetic feel that I have always got from Cool Water. I like it I really do but I do not feel it is signature scent worthy. I have had many people ask me if I am wearing Cool Water. It seems as if I can spend one tenth the price and get the same response with cool water. I am just giving my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I currently am sampling another decant of GIT and I just can't help myself. I find myself wondering what the hype is about. While albeit it is a pleasant scent it is more on the safe side. I have had multiple compliments with this fragrance however it is definitely not what I expected. GIT is a great safe scent. If you are looking into the niche side of things you cannot go wrong with GIT as a great starting point. It smells familiar, I get the similarity to cool water without the synthetic feel that I have always got from Cool Water. I like it I really do but I do not feel it is signature scent worthy. I have had many people ask me if I am wearing Cool Water. It seems as if I can spend one tenth the price and get the same response with cool water. I am just giving my two cents.
    As far as enjoying the scent, yes I do! It is one of my favorites for the Spring. I guess I just have a hard time with the idea that people are complimenting me on Cool Water. IMO you should really be wearing a scent that you enjoy regardless of the compliment factor.

Me, no compliments from GIT and it smells strong at first yet i get compliments from aramis,drakkar noir,or Dolce gabbana PH.?

I don't get it either.

Don't really know what it smells like these days but GIT was my fallback from 1997 for a decade or so before I started to explore this world of fragrances in depth. I still wear it now and then (same big flacon) and it's a great blast from the past but I can see how it wouldn't be to everyone's taste . . . it was certainly 'of its time', though as subsequent 'variations on a theme' have shown.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Herein lies the reason GIT is not bottle-worthy for me personally. I don't really buy the Himalay/XS and Joop!/Original Santal comparisons. But GIT and Cool Water - yeah, I can see it with those two. It takes inexperienced noses to make the mistake, but that comprises 90% of the sniffers out there in the world. The annoying thing is to have all kinds of people asking if I'm wearing Cool Water, when to me it's obvious that I'm not. Unfortunately the top of GIT too closely resembles the top and middle of Cool Water, and that cancels any practical use I would have for this particular Creed.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't 'get' Green Irish Tweed either. And I've tried it many times. Just annoys me, when I smell it.

Oh well.
    Precisely my reaction to GIT: annoyance.

wow. surprising. i just don't 'get' how anyone could not 'get' GIT. seems like it would be one of those universally loved frags.

it has an amazing life over its 8 hours of longevity... smelling quite different in hour 7 than in hour 1. but i enjoy every moment. hours 2-4 are fragrance perfection, imo.

i find the most recent bottles of this (i recently purchased a 4oz from the boutique) are outstanding. Third bottle I've owned since 1995 and by far the best. the topnotes have never been so present and sparkly. and the longevity is superb.

Topsail,

I agree that Git is a great fragrance especially after 30 minutes, but do you find the initial opening quite harsh at times?

I do not care for GIT but I recognize its greatness. It is an all star, but I just do not caare for one of the notes and I have no idea which note it is. I guess that is why there are thousands of colognes because everyone is different.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    I agree that Git is a great fragrance especially after 30 minutes, but do you find the initial opening quite harsh at times?
    just sprayed some on a tissue and am sampling as i type this...

i definitely wouldn't say "harsh". Cool Water is harsh.

i would describe it as "sparkly" and "effervescent". kind of like opening a can of cold Sprite, taking a big whiff of it, then a big sip. i think if you have a good, legit, recent bottle, the opening is as fresh as can be and is a major strength of this fragrance. still, if you bury your nose into where you just sprayed, yes it tickles the nose a bit. (so don't do that. :-)

My first bottle was clear (not black) and i didn't treat it well (bathroom, light, etc). when GIT turns skank, those green sparkly topnotes are the first thing to go, and it goes straight to an overbearing and heady midnote.

In fact, one of my favorite things to do is put on a couple sprays of GIT and then go outside. the fragrance just opens up and envelopes you in a cloud of green freshness in the most amazing way.

all that said, for those who don't "get" GIT, may i suggest Green Valley. possibly the most underrated scent of all. Equally as "green" and refreshing, but with a much lighter and classic heart instead of the signature creamy-violet heart of GIT.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
    all that said, for those who don't "get" GIT, may i suggest Green Valley. possibly the most underrated scent of all. Equally as "green" and refreshing, but with a much lighter and classic heart instead of the signature creamy-violet heart of GIT.
    Agreed, Green Valley is quite nice. My husband likes it as well.

It doesn't give me that feeling that someone is drilling a hole in my sinuses, like GIT does!

Personally I'm wearing Cool Water and if anybody asks, I claim it's GIT by Creed.
    Not really. I still do have a bottle of Cool Water though and might have to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Topsail View Post
    just sprayed some on a tissue and am sampling as i type this...

i definitely wouldn't say "harsh". Cool Water is harsh.

i would describe it as "sparkly" and "effervescent". kind of like opening a can of cold Sprite, taking a big whiff of it, then a big sip. i think if you have a good, legit, recent bottle, the opening is as fresh as can be and is a major strength of this fragrance. still, if you bury your nose into where you just sprayed, yes it tickles the nose a bit. (so don't do that. :-)

My first bottle was clear (not black) and i didn't treat it well (bathroom, light, etc). when GIT turns skank, those green sparkly topnotes are the first thing to go, and it goes straight to an overbearing and heady midnote.

In fact, one of my favorite things to do is put on a couple sprays of GIT and then go outside. the fragrance just opens up and envelopes you in a cloud of green freshness in the most amazing way.

I just got a bottle from the creed boutique and It definitely is fresh, maybe the problem was me burying my nose right after application. As i've stated, after 30 minutes It smells awesome, and always delivers a consistent drydown.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It's really ok not to be with the 'IN' crowd. Respect your taste. Embrace your individuality. Find your own signature style.