Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Fake Terre d'Hermes

Hello,

I have been lurking on basenotes for some time now, using it as a valuable resource while searching for my perfect fragrance. After lots of sampling (and lots of olfactory fatigue!) I became enamored with Terre d'Hermes.

Unfortunately the bottle I bought from eBay is a counterfeit, and I thought I would post some pictures. I haven't seen pics of fake TdH yet here on basenotes, or anywhere for that matter.

First off, the perfume itself. Very heavy and offensive alcohol at the top. Drydown is reminiscent of TdH but without the dark moss, which leads me to believe this is real perfume watered down. Longevity is near nonexistent.

Some pictures.

The front of the box. A good replica and nearly impossible to tell. The logo is properly embossed. The cardboard itself is slightly glossier than authentic.

The bottom of the box. Hard to tell it's a fake unless you have a genuine box next to it. Improper wording and most importantly, no serial number printed.

Inside packaging. Notice the damage at the top.

The bottle itself. Obvious fake, when I saw this my heart sank. Out of box the fill level was as pictured.

The screen-printing on the bottle is very fuzzy.

Closeup.

No serial number on back bottom right.

Hermes Paris logo on sprayer is very low quality with no accent over the "e".

Gold underneath the sprayer, the authentic bottles I've seen have been silver.

Note: There was originally an image here depicting the underside of the screw-closure with some question about whether it should be orange or brown. A tester I saw was brown, but everybody in this discussion indicated that it should be orange. I can confirm that my new authentic bottle is also orange.

Anyways, hope this post helps a newbie like me in the future. Of course, it's a lesson in if-it's-too-good-to-be-true... eBay claims they have a strict policy on counterfeits and fakes, so hopefully I'll get a refund out of this.

And if anybody has a bottle of TdH they are trying to get rid of for a good price, PM me!
    Last edited by pantala; 24th March 2011 at 02:51 AM.

Default Re: Fake Terre d'Hermes

That blows man....hopefully you'll get your money back.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Wow. Sorry about getting duped like that. Counterfeiters are making any and everything it seems. I would have never thought TDH would be faked

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    Wow. Sorry about getting duped like that. Counterfeiters are making any and everything it seems. I would have never thought TDH would be faked

same. i came into this thread thinking this was just another paranoid guy. but no. really sorry to see that buddy. hope u get ur money back and it was nothing but a lesson well learned. Personally, i would rather pay the extra 20 bucks or whatever for peace of mind buying it from nordstroms or something like that

That sucks! Where did you purchase it? If you share this info, we will avoid the seller.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

ive seen lot of differences while looking for terre online
    there were boxes with "Pour Homme" and without it and both are legit
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

Maybe it smells better than the authentic, it couldn't smell worse!!

Just a joke, hope you get your refund.
    I smell marshmallows!

Hope you can recoup your money.

Thank you for passing this along. I am sorry for your misfortune. Counterfeiters will go to great lengths to dupe the buyer.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

panatala, sorry to hear you got ripped off. Apparently they sometimes put dangerous chemicals in fakes which makes it even worse. Please tell us who the seller was and let us know how you go with the refund - both would be very helpfull.

Thanks all for the kind words! I have sent a message to the seller and want to wait to see what the response is before I out them. They do not have a past history of selling fragrances, so it is entirely possible that they were not aware of the fakery. (I know, I know, but I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.)

If they don't respond or are confrontational I'll certainly update this thread with the seller name!

I hate to see this, this is why I avoid eBay for fragrances. I don't care how trusted their are, there's just something about it. I hope the seller at least makes good on their obvious attempt to screw you over.
    Reviews geared for the younger crowd: www.thecolognereview.com

Currently hosting bottle splits of Bond No. 9 Bleecker St, and Creed Selection Verte ///PM details

This is a great resource for fake TDH - thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    same. i came into this thread thinking this was just another paranoid guy. but no.
    Ditto. I was thinking the same thing, but this really does look like a fake compared to my bottle. The lettering looked poor quality and that really jumped out at me; on my bottle, the printing is extremely crisp. Also, the bottom inner contours of most bottles tend to skew slightly to being tilted to one side, but my Terre D'Hermes bottle is pretty even on the bottom inside of the bottle-- the pic you posted shows a bottle that surely would be outside the allowable tolerance for a bottle from Hermes.

You were right in every regard, except the underside edge of my cap looks orange too-- I don't think it would be brown.

Wow. Looks like a genuine fake. I would have also thought this bottle would be too complicated to try to reproduce, but I stand corrected.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Indie_Guy. I modified the original post to reflect your findings of orange on the bottom of the screw-closure. I checked out a bottle at Nordstrom today and it was brown. Looks like it is not a sure indicator of forgery.

Blog Entries

I went out and purchased Herve Leger Pour Homme by Avon because people said it was a rip-off of TDH.

I think it's close, love it and not expensive!

Just mentioning it in case you are looking for alternatives.
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*

Can you easily scratch the letters off the bottle with your fingernails?

Great information and photos. Sorry you didn't get the real juice.

I just sprayed TdH as my scent of the day. Jean-Claude Ellena makes good stuff!

Just as an aside - what the hell do counterfeiters put into the fake stuff? Any of the fake stuff that you can stumble into online or elsewhere? What kind of stuff do they use as their juice?

They could just go to the dollar store and get something remotely similar.

Quote Originally Posted by pantala View Post
    Thanks Indie_Guy. I modified the original post to reflect your findings of orange on the bottom of the screw-closure. I checked out a bottle at Nordstrom today and it was brown. Looks like it is not a sure indicator of forgery.
    Well, it's kind of hard to get a really good look at it because of the angle required to examine it. It definitely looks orange to me-- which would go along with the orange in the TdH color scheme. The ones you saw-- were they a kind of brownish/orange or were they a more definite shade of brown? I'm thinking that it's definitely orange, but could look a bit brown because of certain lighting and being that it's such a small area. I have both the EDT and Parfum and they both look orange to me.

Another thing about your fake which seems very suspect is the clear spray atomizer tube that descends into the juice and goes all the way to the bottom. Both my 1.6 oz EDT and my 2.5 oz parfum bottles have atomizer tubes that are rather straight compared to the tube in yours. In yours, it appears that the tube was too long and is very bent and contorted in making its way to the bottom of the bottle. It's like they didn't take the time to measure the tube and snip it to the right length but rather stuck a stock one-size-fits-all tube in there and forced it to snake around in the bottle. I could be wrong, but this looks very shoddy to me, and not the way Hermes does things.

I have the EDT and EDP and both screw closures are orange for sure...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

The authentic bottle is just beautiful. One of the best and not the easiest to fake imho.
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Lesson 1: don't buy something new on ebay unless you know the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    x2, mine are orange too.

It's pretty obvious you got screwed when you take the bottle out, but the box is VERY close, I'm not sure too many people would recognize the packaging as fake.

Hi everybody. A quick update: I filed an eBay Buyer Protection claim against this seller which went unanswered, and finally resulted in the claim awarded in my favor and a refund being issued. Thank you to all who replied, I have no doubt that everybody's opinion here assisted in eBay's investigation, as I sent them this thread and all replies thought this item was counterfeit. I originally was giving the seller the benefit of the doubt and was not going to identify them, but since I got zero messages from them (even before I filed the counterfeit claim), I'll state the seller's ID: shoesandmoreforyou from Willis, Texas.

I have had at least one other person send me a PM stating that these pictures helped them identify a fake of their own and get a refund through eBay.

While I was waiting for the investigation to complete I ordered a real bottle of TdH from perfumania.com for only a few dollars more than I paid on eBay. Although I have lots of experience on eBay (member since 1999) I find myself with doubts when browsing listings now! Thanks again everybody. Hope this thread will help others in the future.

BTW, I was hoping I would be able to take side-by-side photos of the counterfeit and real bottles to add to the thread but one of the eBay Buyer Protection requirements is to send the item back to the seller. (I did consider sending back a box of rocks, just to keep the fake bottle as a novelty! )
    Last edited by pantala; 24th March 2011 at 02:42 AM.

How unfortunate. I happen to be enjoying TdH as the SOTE tonight. I haven't worn it yet this calendar year and am wondering why that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    You were right in every regard, except the underside edge of my cap looks orange too-- I don't think it would be brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I'm thinking that it's definitely orange, but could look a bit brown because of certain lighting and being that it's such a small area. I have both the EDT and Parfum and they both look orange to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    x2, mine are orange too.
    I think it's difficult to tell - one person's orange is another person's brown. You really only see it in the reflection on the "mirror" top of the bottle, or to hold the bottle at an angle. The colour in Pantala's photograph looks pretty accurate to me. And I have 3 bottles of the EDT, bought from reliable bricks and mortar retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCloud View Post
    Maybe it smells better than the authentic, it couldn't smell worse!!

Just a joke, hope you get your refund.
    +1 Agreed.. This stuff makes me nauseous LOL!

I've removed the image from the original post questioning whether the underside of the closure should be brown or orange. I agree now that it should be orange, at the time I was basing the statement off of a tester I saw at Nordstrom that was brown.

I don't have my bottle in front of me, but isn't the "H" shape on the bottom of the genuine bottle colored pale orange as well?

Just another reason for people to STOP purchasing fragrances on Ebay completely. The counterfeiting is getting more rampant and the fakes are getting harder and harder to detect. I've seen sellers with thousands of previous sales and 99.8% positive feedback selling multiple fakes. It's become a cesspool, and the only way to fight it is just to stay the fuck away from it altogether.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got a bottle of Terre D'Hermes, and I noticed the bottom of my box looks basically identical to this one. The OP stated that the wording on the bottom of his box is slightly different from an authentic box, can anyone confirm this? I do have a serial # imprinted on my box, at least.

Also, the serial number on the bottle that doesn't match the box, but I've read that doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake. The juice itself smells authentic, and the bottle doesn't exhibit any of the suspicious characteristics that pantala has on his fake bottle. I feel fairly certain this is authentic (bought from a BN'r with lots of good reputation). I just want to clear up if the wording on the bottom of the box indicates it's fake (since I have the same wording on my box).

Thanks!

What was the seller's star rating or feedback? I almost never, ever purchase from eBay unless the seller has great customer ratings from so many users. Even then though, it's just not really worth it in essence. Always go with online merchants.

Well, I bought from a basenoter on here, in the "for sale" forum. Seems like a really nice, great guy, and he has a 100% feedback rating (and 80+ feedback). I already bought a fake bottle from ebay, which is why I decided to get it either here from someone legit (hopefully) or from a retailer.

So, hopefully someone that has a 100% legit bottle and box can look at the bottom of their box and see if it's different from the pic posted above by the OP.

the other things that look off to me are
    - the feeder tube seems too long and poorly fed in so it doesn't quite hit the corner of the inside
    - the juice seems a pale color and IIRC my TdH juice is a much darker richer orange/brown color
    - the inside of the bottle seems off angle, like way slanted...

I could be wrong based off memory but those would tip me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    Lesson 1: don't buy something new on ebay unless you know the seller.
    I gotta agree there.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    the other things that look off to me are
    - the feeder tube seems too long and poorly fed in so it doesn't quite hit the corner of the inside
    - the juice seems a pale color and IIRC my TdH juice is a much darker richer orange/brown color
    - the inside of the bottle seems off angle, like way slanted...
    Well thankfully, none of these apply, the bottle seems genuine to me. More importantly, smells 100% authentic.

Unfortunately for me, a female friend said it smells like BO (now I'm almost hoping this is fake).

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Well thankfully, none of these apply, the bottle seems genuine to me. More importantly, smells 100% authentic.

Unfortunately for me, a female friend said it smells like BO (now I'm almost hoping this is fake).
    That's odd. How long did you have it on at the time? Once this one hits dry down I think it's got a pretty pleasant smell, almost reminiscent of LDDM. As of now I've only tried the EDT however. The EDP concentration is on it's way, so I'll have to see if that one is much different.

It was on for 2-3 hours. I agree, I think it smells great, but I can see where some of the notes come together in almost this discordant way that might be confused with BO. There's this slight tangy sharp smell from the flint and citrus that might be causing this.

I'm hoping it's just an off day for me. I'll do a full wearing tomorrow on my chest, we'll see if it's different. I wonder if the parfum does away with this, since it's rounder and smoother.

Btw, do you have the EDT box? Does the bottom look similar/identical to the bottom in the OP's pics? Mine looks virtually the same, except I have a serial # stamped on the right side of the bottom.

I don't actually own it, I've only sampled it a few times. I'm getting a larger sized EDP sample at the moment so I can compare the two before I spring for either one, so unfortunately I can't help you as far as the box goes.

Concerning the scent though, the smell may be affected by the heat as well. Patchouli can do funny things on skin in higher humidity IMO, so that could be some of it. Maybe in cooler weather the over all blend will be more appreciated by your friend. There are many detractors who will say to wear anything in any season, but I find that there are some notes (like clove for example) that get strait up funky in high heat and humidity, and can almost smell like BO if you're not aware what you're smelling. This might be the case.

Tragically this is why I haven't cracked out my Vetyverio lately. Awesome fragrance, but the clove in this one's mid is a bit of a sour killer in Japan's summer. Fall should be coming soon though.

You raise a good point. It's not terrible warm here, but it's been humid and foggy lately, maybe that could affect TdH. I should get a sample of the parfum to see if there's any difference (I can kind of get the bo smell if I think about it).

I have a friend that only has Burberry London and wears it at all times, day or night, hot or cold. He just doesn't get that London is not meant as an anytime kind of fragrance. Road trips with him can be challenging (doesn't help I get motion sick easily). I'm getting him an inoffensive light frag for his birthday to diversify his tiny wardrobe.

Back on topic, I guess the BO note probably cements that my TdH is authentic at least

Well thankfully, none of these apply, the bottle seems genuine to me. More importantly, smells 100% authentic..
    I meant in response to the OP (Pantala)

Back on topic, I guess the BO note probably cements that my TdH is authentic at least
    Yeah, basically if it opens up like you spilled Orange Glow on some soil, and dries down to something similar-ish (in a very loose fashion) to a less pronounced more earthy version of Tauer's LDDM after 4 or so hours, you've got the real thing.

I mean that all in a good way of course.

Yeah I'm pretty sure mine is legit, though my mind would be put at ease if I could find a bottom of the box pic from a legit bottle.

On a related note, my brother got a fake TdH bottle from ebay recently (different seller with 99.6% feedback rating), and he says it's EXACTLY like the OP's bottle. Crummy writing on the bottle that you could scratch off, and the top of the nozzle looked like it was engraved by a high scool CAD class, very poorly done. The box looked very authentic, but his heart dropped when he pulled out the bottle.

He also said the black cap would easily screw off if he twisted it too far. So add that to the list of signs for a fake bottle.

When I was searching for Terre d'Hermes on Ebay quite a while back I came across a seller that actually described the product "not authentic". I contacted the seller and here is the conversation I had with the seller.

I said, "Seriously, this is counterfit! "

They replied, "I don't know what you mean by counterfit but it's Good price and smile great?"

I replied, "In the description for the item you said, "TERRE D'HERMES MENS POUR HOMME 3.3 FL.OZ PARIS

it's not authentic but very good copy for that price".

If the item is not authentic like you say, it is a counterfit item. A fake. You said the item is a not authentic in the description. So, is the item authentic or not? Is there a serial number on the bottom of the box? Why would you sell a fake? Where did you get "not authentic" Terre d'Hermes? Real Terre d'Hermes will have a serial number on the bottom of the box and a matching serial number on the bottle."

And then they responded, "ok sorry dont buy it !"

So, I contacted Ebay and they removed the account and the seller. After that they opened a new account a couple of time and used the same picture so I contacted Ebay again and they responded by again removing the account. I have to give the seller a point for saying it was fake to begin with but there is no excuse for selling fakes, period.

At this point I decided to not even try to buy Terre d'Hermes on Ebay and I purchased the edt from a respected online discounter. Months later I decided I needed the pure parful but did not want to spend $115 for 75ml. One day while in Nordstroms I noticed that they had a new shipment of the 200ml parfum at the normal $205. I opened a Nordstroms debit card (I always pay cash) and the new card allowed me to get a $20 gift card with the purchase. This effectively made the price $185 and when you buy one of their travel sprayers with a fragrance they will fill it with juice for free, so I got an extra 10ml essentially for free. 210ml of Terre d'Hermes for $185, a better deal than Ebay any day.

I have only purchased a few few fragrances on Ebay and am very careful. I got a tester bottle of Hanae Mori HM cheaply, an older travel sprayer of Boucheron Pour Homme and recently a vintage tester bottle of M7. I look for respected sellers with lots of great ratings that have been in business for a long time and for private sellers that actually take their own CLEAR pictures of the item that are willing to answer questions about the item and that have a great feedback. It may be silly, but I also look for a seller that has a command of the English language. I have not been burned yet but I am very careful. Ebay can be a great source for good items but there are cheaters and people who deceive too. Caveat emptor.

Exclamation Re: Fake Terre d'Hermes

Thanks for this post. I literally got a bottle almost identical to this in the mail today. I was bothered by the fact that it didn't seem to be filled all the way, the top seemed damaged and the screen printing on the bottle seemed very much like a fake. Turns out, it didn't have the serial numbers, the bottom of the bottle wasn't orange (and was obviously not authentic), and every other inconsistency you noted was there. I was pissed, but I've also opened a case against the seller so hopefully I'll receive a refund as well. It's really bothersome though, I've had mostly good luck with eBay until this purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    When I was searching for Terre d'Hermes on Ebay quite a while back I came across a seller that actually described the product "not authentic". I contacted the seller and here is the conversation I had with the seller.

I said, "Seriously, this is counterfit! "

They replied, "I don't know what you mean by counterfit but it's Good price and smile great?"

I replied, "In the description for the item you said, "TERRE D'HERMES MENS POUR HOMME 3.3 FL.OZ PARIS

it's not authentic but very good copy for that price".

If the item is not authentic like you say, it is a counterfit item. A fake. You said the item is a not authentic in the description. So, is the item authentic or not? Is there a serial number on the bottom of the box? Why would you sell a fake? Where did you get "not authentic" Terre d'Hermes? Real Terre d'Hermes will have a serial number on the bottom of the box and a matching serial number on the bottle."

And then they responded, "ok sorry dont buy it !"

So, I contacted Ebay and they removed the account and the seller. After that they opened a new account a couple of time and used the same picture so I contacted Ebay again and they responded by again removing the account. I have to give the seller a point for saying it was fake to begin with but there is no excuse for selling fakes, period.

At this point I decided to not even try to buy Terre d'Hermes on Ebay and I purchased the edt from a respected online discounter. Months later I decided I needed the pure parful but did not want to spend $115 for 75ml. One day while in Nordstroms I noticed that they had a new shipment of the 200ml parfum at the normal $205. I opened a Nordstroms debit card (I always pay cash) and the new card allowed me to get a $20 gift card with the purchase. This effectively made the price $185 and when you buy one of their travel sprayers with a fragrance they will fill it with juice for free, so I got an extra 10ml essentially for free. 210ml of Terre d'Hermes for $185, a better deal than Ebay any day.

I have only purchased a few few fragrances on Ebay and am very careful. I got a tester bottle of Hanae Mori HM cheaply, an older travel sprayer of Boucheron Pour Homme and recently a vintage tester bottle of M7. I look for respected sellers with lots of great ratings that have been in business for a long time and for private sellers that actually take their own CLEAR pictures of the item that are willing to answer questions about the item and that have a great feedback. It may be silly, but I also look for a seller that has a command of the English language. I have not been burned yet but I am very careful. Ebay can be a great source for good items but there are cheaters and people who deceive too. Caveat emptor.
    Luca Turin notes in The Guide one seller who happily admits his scents are fake.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I have just bought one with the underside of the cap silver!! I'm heartbroken as i paid £53 on ebay for the perfum.. Must ask terre d'hermes if they did them with the cap underside silver...

bought one of these a week ago in a small random store, that is barely more than a 'hole in the wall'. The store was recommended to me a few years ago and i guess i made a mistake weighing those recommendations heavily so long after. I wanted to buy John Varvatos or YSL Kouros, but the guy didnt have neither for a good price.

Then he was trying to sell me something and i told him that I'd buy something if it smells good. The smell of this fake bottle really stood out for me, and he let me have it for '40' cause it was his last bottle. At first I was really happy when I read up on the perfume, but then i saw that it was fake and got upset ):

Curious about trying the real thing though.

Hello,

I have been lurking on basenotes for some time now, using it as a valuable resource while searching for my perfect fragrance. After lots of sampling (and lots of olfactory fatigue!) I became enamored with Terre d'Hermes.

Unfortunately the bottle I bought from eBay
    Case solved

New question........

Guys,
    I have found that most of the perfumes that I brought online are fake and seller is ready to give me refunds for them. But I am not able to decide about Terres d'Hermes whether it is legit or not? Here are my observations:

1) When I look at the liquid by placing the bottle in front of a light source, I see very small bubbles uniformly distributed throughout the liquid. It is not a clear juice.

2) The dark orange color and the inner-bottom of the bottle in not uniform. When I look at it from the front of the bottle, I can see that it is darker at one side and gradually becomes lighter upto the other side.

3) The metal can be rotated 1 mm by force.

Apart from above, the fragrance is accurate, the other things about the bottle are perfect. All printed text are perfect.
    Although seller mentioned that the bottles ate testers, but my bottle does not seem like a tester. It comes without a box.

I don't want to return it blindly because I like the scent and it is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by wecaz View Post
    New question........

Guys,
    I have found that most of the perfumes that I brought online are fake and seller is ready to give me refunds for them. But I am not able to decide about Terres d'Hermes whether it is legit or not? Here are my observations:

1) When I look at the liquid by placing the bottle in front of a light source, I see very small bubbles uniformly distributed throughout the liquid. It is not a clear juice.

2) The dark orange color and the inner-bottom of the bottle in not uniform. When I look at it from the front of the bottle, I can see that it is darker at one side and gradually becomes lighter upto the other side.

3) The metal can be rotated 1 mm by force.

Apart from above, the fragrance is accurate, the other things about the bottle are perfect. All printed text are perfect.
    Although seller mentioned that the bottles ate testers, but my bottle does not seem like a tester. It comes without a box.

I don't want to return it blindly because I like the scent and it is cheap.
    Did you try scraping off the letters with your fingernails? Also, if you could post good pictures that might help. I hate this frag so I'm not familiar with the bottles.

Thanks for the post pantala. It's always good to read threads like this - there's way too many counterfeit products on the market these days