Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Fragrances that Match My Personality

Hey guys,

I was thinking of trying to match up my fragrances with my personality and interests (so to speak), and I wanted some suggestions on what I should try.

I'm well-read and very well cultured. My political views tend to be very leftist, and I'm well educated but also quite young.

I like reading about philosophy, politics, math, and economics; and my favorite music is cool jazz (John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Ben Watson are my favorites) and classical music (especially Mendelssohn and Glass). Also, I really enjoy art (especially New Objectivity, Surrealism, and various modern art).

I think I sort of want to go for a young political radical feel.

Anyway, with fragrances, I've tried out Live Jazz, and I liked that one. But I was also thinking of trying Rive Gauche though that might be too old school (I'm only 18 after all). I'm not entirely sure here. Ideas? I'm looking for an all-purpose scent as well as some season specific ones.

(Oh, and I'm a guy.)

Default Re: Fragrances that Match My Personality

Rive Gauche is good, so that seems ok. But reading your profile, it seems to me that you should try something more niche and avant-garde to match your interests and personality (age is usually irrelevant when talking about perfumes). A couple of examples off the top of my head:

On the cheaper side, Breath of God by Lush is a fresh but strange vetiver, hard to describe, but it's a mix of burnt plastic and artificial citrus, plus some flowers and woods, which sounds totally strange, but works extremely well, as many surrealist paintings do. Another radical perfume you can try is Yatagan by Caron, which has a blast of green veggies, followed by dark, masculine woods (it would fit well a new objectivity context). (Ironically, Caron also has a perfume called Anarchiste, but it is nothing on the sort, it's a standard, sedate fresh stuff like countless others.)

More expensive, in niche territory, Comme des Garcons has many transparent, essential perfumes that sometimes make me think of Glass. An example would be CDG2 Man (candles and churchy incense). And another avant-garde house is Etat Libre d'Orange; examples would be Tom of Finland (radiant lemony saffron), Eloge d'un traitre (fresh modern fougere), Jasmin et Cigarette (again surrealism), and Rien (bitter, straightforward leather, again new objectivity, strong and unsettling, perhaps not an everyday perfume though).

cacio

Check Rive Gauche,Gucci PH I and II.
    I think Encre Noire and Terre d' Hermes fit your profile also.

Rive gauche could fit perfectly . old school vibe but with a modern touch
    Glorious Bastards
    Opium pour homme edp
    Rive gauche
    Knize ten
    M7 fresh
    M7

I find Bois du Portugal perfect for you

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to check these out.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Yes definitely Bois Du Portugal

I haven't tried Live Jazz, but I take it to be minty. I love Cartier Roadster when I'm looking for something minty, and it's quite versatile IMO. Not really sure what a radical fragrance should smell like. Maybe something like Essenza Zegna?

My iPhone isn't recognizing your flag, so I'm not sure where you're from. There's a thread about Profumo Italian natural perfumes. It gets great reviews and looks reads really good. I want to try it, but I'm not ready to pay for the foreign shipping cost at this time. It appeals to my intellectual, spicy nature.