Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I think Dior Homme has changed ...

Recently I was browsing through Sephora aisles and I noticed the bottle of Dior Homme (regular, not Intense, nor Sport) has changed. The ring near the nozzle is no longer alu grey but black, a silver ring is embossed in the cap and the "straw" that hide the spray tube is no longer silver either but black.

Usually, a change in the design means a change in the scent. And with Dior you're never sure of anything (LVMH oblige!). Big big warnings for me.

A few spray on a blotter and sure enough, I can notice differences, subtle yes but that's not my Dior Homme anymore. But I might be mistaken.

So I ask the SA to make me a decant, then at home I test. A full wearing of my Dior Homme bottle on me (bought in early 2009 - absolutely perfect condition), another spray on the right wrist. No difference, and actually, almost nothing from the wrist which is perfectly fine with me as I wear the scent on myself. On the left wrist, a good dab of my decant of the "new" Dior Homme.

And there's actually some big differences. You not longer get that big plushy/dry cloud of iris. Now you're left with some iris, flatter, leaner and frankly just enough to say there's iris in it. 5 mn into the new one, the slightly buttery notes you would experience after an hour with the old one is here and way to much in the foreground. What is noticeable too is a huge dusty green and acidic lavender which was much more tamed in the previous one. The odd meaty quality that you could experience in the heart of the perfume is not really there in the new one.

I haven't deciphered all the differences but these are the major ones I noticed.

I really don't understand why it has been already reformulated.

Quel dommage!

Default Re: I think Dior Homme has changed ...

Is it possible the bottle in the store got cooked under the light thus changing the fragrance?

I agree. Different bottle, different fragrance. Such a shame!

Do you think they have re-formulated already?? Maybe they decided to skimp on the iris in an effort to reduce cost?

All hell will break loose if this is true!

VERY worrying news, if it turns out to be correct!
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

I have just bought this and if its true I have the pre-formulated bottle thank goodness. People who love this scent now is the time to stock up. Otherwise years from now we will be talking about how good the vintage is and how the last bottle of the old stuff has be sold on E bay. Grim news if true.

@hypr : this is unlikely because the tester was fairly full and this is a huge sephora in the suburbs of Paris that is packed with people everyday, and Dior Homme being quite popular here, I guess testers stands no more than a few day on the shelves (a SA told me they were changing PR 1 million testers twice a day because it was so popular)

@calero : it may have been reformulated to cut corners on the price of the formula, though iris has been fairly cheap ever since Biolandes labs found a way to age iris roots faster. My guess is that Dior head perfurmer likes to fiddle with every perfume he hasn't composed. Evidences ? J'adore which changed a few years back, Fahrenheit (another reformulation just after the second one, this ref. made the new distantly related to the previous one), Eau Sauvage Extrême discontinued and reissued as a "new" scent and a few days ago, Miss Dior Chérie (see 1000fragrances blog for the full story). Add Dior Homme to the pile. This very subject about Dior and reformulations in general might end up in another thread because there's a lot to say.

@Jack Hunter : I'll check every shop I can think of for backups, hoarding on the way ^^

The main difference between the two one, apart from the bottle which is obvious, is the list of ingredients on the bottom of the box, and their order in the listing. Hope this helps.

Goddamned, I should have bought an extra bottle of Dior Homme in august 2010, that's probably when reformulation started!
    Have a look at this, back then I wondered what happened but didn't have a clue:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/258...-Homme-is-this

If I was a cynic I would think that fragrance houses have a policy of using their best ingredients and best marketing strategy in launching a new product. Then when they have Joe public hooked with a successful product they cut back on the quality to save cash and improve the profit margin. Hoping the public in general will not be able to tell the difference or care to much for it to effect sales.

I say this because how many times with different fragrance house's have we seen the exact same thing happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    If I was a cynic I would think that fragrance houses have a policy of using their best ingredients and best marketing strategy in launching a new product. Then when they have Joe public hooked with a successful product they cut back on the quality to save cash and improve the profit margin. Hoping the public in general will not be able to tell the difference or care to much for it to effect sales.

I say this because how many times with different fragrance house's have we seen the exact same thing happen!
    I have the exact feeling.

Indeed, this shows very poor consideration for customers. Ha!

Hey AirBureau, could you please post the ingredient list (order) of your original bottle here? Or send me a message.

Please can you show us picks of the two bottles, the reformulated and the "vintage"?

Its tim to buy some vintage! LOL, so early!

I will cook up something with pics and "recipes" as soon as i can lay hands on my bottle back at home. Meanwhile, I'll take pictures of the new one during lunch break.

I think i find:

Reformulated:

Vintage Dior Homme:

Dior Homme Intense:

This is the new reformulated.

This is the original, superior fragrance.

Its time to buy it!
    I will love to post at the SOTD:

Dior Homme, vintage, off course!

LOL, 4 years!!!!

Dior Homme Cologne isn't on the Dior Homme site now. I don't know if it was before but it was widely available here in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    Dior Homme Cologne isn't on the Dior Homme site now. I don't know if it was before but it was widely available here in Europe.
    Maybe discontinued?

Oh god, 1 reformulated, other discontinued...

Can't believe they'd mess with a classic so soon. What a shame.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

+1. I think this has been going on for quite some time...

Regarding the reformulation of Dior Homme, this has been occasionally speculated in the past, as far back as 2007. I'm certain that Scentemental made a comment about it around this time but am unable to find the post (something about being thankful that he already has a plentiful supply of the original formulation as back-up).

So, as much as many are shocked, it was pretty inevitable. In addition, for all we know, this could be the second reformulation and not necessarily the first - just bear that in mind.

These days, if I discover a new fragrance that's excellent and worth owning, I try to buy at least one back-up bottle ASAP (but only if I feel it's necessary). Times have changed, I'm afraid...
    Last edited by Trebor; 8th March 2011 at 08:59 PM.

I just tried a new batch "freshly shipped".

The iris megacloud is still ...as omnipresent as ever. But the somewhat synthy amber-woods drydown has been significantly amped up. I would still buy it, it hasn't been butchered badly or anything.
    -

Any noticeable changes to the box? That might make it easier to spot if you are purchasing it in a store.

Ugh, I obtained a sample of this a couple months ago, and I can't recall what the bottle looked like. I guess now I'll never know which version I've tried out!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Damn damn double damn!

Is the iris in Dior Homme synthetic?? I'm currently reading The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr and he mentions "...the gorgeous synthetic iris the perfumer Olivier Polge created when he made Dior Homme."

If it is a synthetic iris, then what would be the reasoning for re-formulation if cutting production costs is the motivating factor? The synthetic is too costly?

Someone wants a bigger bonus this year so they worked out you can save 0.001c per ml by changing things and so it is done - such are the joy's...... I've only just discovered this frag and I think I'm already going to have to buy a backup.

I smelled the black tube bottle yesterday and got an horrible lemon/bergamot note :-(

It`s very sad to open the forum and find this thread on the day that i decided to wear it. It`s one of the few fragrances that i really thought that there wasn`t anything else like it on the commercial market. That`s probably why they reformulated it. Well. i think i`ll need to buy another one now...
    Does anybody knows if the 40ml version of it already carries the reformulated juice?

The original is a great scent that my wife just loves on me. I've had the same bottle for the past 3 years and it's still at least 70% full, so really I'm in fine shape. I'll get sick of it before I ever worry about a change.

Could it also be that with a reformulation, die-hard fragrance fanatics buy out the remaining stock more quickly so that retailers then purchase the new, reformulated version, thereby driving profits up?

The tester at my local Sephora still has the silver straw. Perhaps they've still got the old stuff in stock...

I did notice that some of the boxes were labeled "vaporisator spray" (sp), and some said "Eau de Toilette vaporisator spray". Anybody know if that's a way to tell the new/old boxes apart? Or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Is the iris in Dior Homme synthetic??
    yes.

i smelled the current cologne the other day in a store, and it was not what i remembered. i did not like it much. but maybe i smelled the edt before, not the edc. are they very different? either way i dislike the edc or the stuff has be reformulated badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gae View Post
    The tester at my local Sephora still has the silver straw. Perhaps they've still got the old stuff in stock...
    could be, but don't count on it! ask about it before you buy it. make sure you can get your money back if it turns out to be the wrong version.

I'm wondering if many of the Basenotes "regulars" are buying the idea that Dior Homme has "changed" or been reformulated. This is a revered scent. Its interesting how many have not weighed in an opinion. Perhaps more time is needed.

What I would like to know, however, is whether the packaging has changed. The above pictures are not really accurate enough and are not a fair comparission. No offense to the two guys who made the effort to post them. Is it just the black tube down the bottle that is different ? Packaging to me is really important when talking about reformulations ( I know there are exceptions : Serge Lutens...etc). So whether the box design logo's have changed are important.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

How old is this new bottle with the black tube anyway? I just bought a bottle of Dior Homme from Sephora only two months ago, and I got the one with the silver tube, the bottle you guys call the "vintage" bottle.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

r u guys sure its reformulated? or just the bottle is different?

as far as looks of the bottle, i like the black straw better, but its the juice that counts

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    The original is a great scent that my wife just loves on me.
    Same here.

More about the bad news here.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    r u guys sure its reformulated? or just the bottle is different?

as far as looks of the bottle, i like the black straw better, but its the juice that counts
    Yup. The black straw is reformulated.

I bought my Dior Homme maybe two months ago, and got the silver straw. I tested the one with the black straw and it is noticeably different, but not that bad, but I think by the time I go through my whole 1.7oz bottle, I will be so used to it that I won't be able to stand the reformulated one.

If you're planning on buying Dior Homme online, you run the risk of getting the reformulated one. I would recommend getting the Dior Homme Cologne instead. While it is also different than Dior Homme original, it's probably more similar to it than the reformulated version. Some would even argue that it is BETTER than Dior Homme original. Give it a shot.

I finally bought this beautiful juice at 11:52PM on Sephora Times Square, only one ounce to start with, as I wasn't sure it was worth a full bottle investment. And truth to be told, I am very short on money, so that made the decision easier. :P In any case, as much as I wanted to not like it that much, I think I have fallen in love with this, and now understand why Mr. Duchafour loves this stuff as well. This is a very beautiful smell indeed! I've come to realize that I do need a full bottle eventually, when I run out of this very magical perfume.

But I am posting to say that luckily, the Sephora on Times Square seems to be carrying the "vintage" bottles, both on the tester and the actual bottles sold (how odd to use the word "vintage" on a six year old fragrance!) So I didn't get the reformulation, which is very encouraging! My 30ml is a superbly beautiful bottle, which is reassuring as often the smaller bottles don't look as good. It's sleek and gorgeous, and it's the older style bottle. At least I can carry this around and reapply as needed. Although it's not a super light bottle, even if it's only 30ml. But I am so happy that I fell in love with this, AND that I got the older bottle-this is one of the best designers scents out there, despite the synthetics; gorgeous smell, dear friends, and I do LOVE cocoa in my perfumes!

I'm trying to source the "vintage" juice online. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Also, I suspect the 1oz/30ml hasn't been rejuiced. Can anybody confirm this?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Last edited by pluran; 10th June 2011 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBureau View Post
    .....I really don't understand why it has been already reformulated.....
    It's routine for fragrances to be reformulated every 5-6 years. Sometimes they stay the same, other times not.

What does the box look like?

Quote Originally Posted by starace View Post
    .... I do LOVE cocoa in my perfumes!
    You should check out Guerlains L'Instant Extreme Pour Homme if you have not already as it is a Cocoa lovers dream. A fantastic fragrance!

Hate the vintage version (a womans perfume with "homme" written on it) love the reformulated version. Quite obviously toned down iris.

You should check out Guerlains L'Instant Extreme Pour Homme if you have not already as it is a Cocoa lovers dream. A fantastic fragrance!
    I recently checked it out, actually, about week and a half ago, but didn't pull the trigger so far. I know I'll get it eventually. I especially liked the beginning very much, but have to re-test it for sure. I was actually thinking about it as well last night. :P

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Hate the vintage version (a womans perfume with "homme" written on it) love the reformulated version. Quite obviously toned down iris.
    I respect that you don't like the original, but I would be a bit disappointed because of two reasons: 1)it's not what the original perfumer's true formula was all about, even though it might be a similar idea, and 2)I usually LOVE so-called "unisex" perfumes, as most "masculines" genres are so hackneyed that they must be special in some way to grab my interest (I have some of these, though.) Indeed, when I buy my niche fragrances I make sure that they are not too "masculine", for I have plenty of designers perfumes that do fulfill that role already. Beyond smelling "masculine" I want to smell good and enjoy them myself. I think the "vintage" version is very beautiful, and is not feminine, just purely "unisex," which is good (to me, that is.)

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand but I've noticed a certain hype over Dior Homme & the other day I was at Sephora in Riverside Ca & there were about 5 female employees there & I asked them what men's fragrance they dislike the most & they all replied Dior Homme they just said it was disgusting. I myself don't understand the hype over Dior Homme it smells like lipstick.
    I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me. I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's. No time is better than the present.

I am a fan of original Dior Homme and would like to know if anone has tried he new dior Homme and could elaborate on change in smell, sillage and longevity.

I couldn't comment on the differences between silver tube and black tube bottles, since I still haven't smelled the black tube formulation. However, I did recently buy a silver tube bottle, and have noticed that the iris in it isn't as good as in my (presumably older) TPC sample. It's still a very good fragrance, but unfortunately not quite as good as before.
    Last edited by WillC; 25th November 2011 at 11:07 AM.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Anyone know when DH changed tube from Silver to Black? I checked nearby store and they had 2 different batches of DH.
    First was 0Y01 which should be November 2010
    Second 1R02 which should be April 2011

Is November 2010 vintage, or already reformulated one?
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Even the silver tube had it's changes. I had bottles with "Dior" written on the tubing and some without. Were all going to go insane over this Dior fiasco lol

The 2006 Dior Homme was stunning , it had a very strong iris not , the reformulated versions in 2007-2008, watered it down, the current avatar smells like lipstick water to me with a hint of iris.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    The 2006 Dior Homme was stunning , it had a very strong iris not , the reformulated versions in 2007-2008, watered it down, the current avatar smells like lipstick water to me with a hint of iris.
    So true, i bought a bottle of dior homme 50 ml yesterday and i kinda regret it now. The longevity of original dior homme was not great but it had sillage the first couple of hours. This one has poor longevity and poor sillage.
    RIP Dior Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    Anyone know when DH changed tube from Silver to Black? I checked nearby store and they had 2 different batches of DH.
    First was 0Y01 which should be November 2010
    Second 1R02 which should be April 2011

Is November 2010 vintage, or already reformulated one?
    I bought my first bottle of DH today and it has a silver tube/collar with writing on it. Dates from Nov. 2010.

Recently bought my bottle of dior homme.
    turns out to be the black collar/tube one and according to cosmeticcheck it is the nov 2010 batch.
    So which formulation of dior homme do i have with me ? :\ demachy or polge
    also all i get from this fragrance is lipstick from top to base with only a hint of cocoa at the heart and some woods in the base , at least that is what my untrained nose is able to pick up atm , longevity is awesome on my skin though around 10-12 hrs easily, sillage is decent too!
    i would like to know how many reformulations of dior homme has taken place ? which version is most different to the original , i have not smelled the original so yeah....
    I just want to clear my head on which version and formulation of dior homme i have with me
    im sure u guys have done a fair share amount of sniffing this fragrance and also the reformulations too so HELP ME!

@Joop!
    I'm pretty sure you have the reformulated (AFAIK, demachy's dior homme came out in sept 2011 so I don't think they were produced as early as nov 2010). I had same version as yours but ultimately sold it because it could not compare to the original, and the iris was lacking.
    AFAIK, the first DH that came out in 2005 had silver tube AND Dior engraved on the tube. (my fav)
    Then there is another bottle that has silver tube BUT doesn't have Dior engraved as before. (I don't know if scent changed from before as I've never smelled this version)
    Then there is a black tube before sept reformulation (which is what you have)
    Then there is another black tube after sept reformulation

Without a doubt my favourite is the original, I recently came across a store still selling DH from 2005 so I bought 2x50ml backups and now i'm happy

Man if ur saying that my version lacks the iris(the lipstick smell) im better off with this version as it is haha xD i find my DH to already have a lot of lipstick smell and dont think would enjoy something stronger
    much thanks for the heads up!

Here is my experience , based on lot of effort , smelling many testers , buying DH from different dates:

There are 3 types of DH formulations:

Silver ring - Silver tube : lets call it silver-silver
    Silver ring - Black tube : lets call it silver-black
    Black ring - Black tube : lets call it black-black

silver-silver is the original formulation of DH - produced until -2nd week of Sep-2010 code 0W02.
    silver-black is 1st reformulation of DH - produced since 3rd week of Sep-2010 code 0W03.
    black-black V1 is the same formulation as silver-black and produce since Nov-2010 coed 0Y03.
    black-black V2 is a major reformulation of DH and produced since summer 2011 ( I dont know the exact date - maybe 09-2011).

silver-silver is amazing , wax , wet , smooth , well blended smell. great projection and moderate longevity.

silver-black is also very good - they amplified the coco and the cardamom. The smell is less smooth , less wax. more powdery , less floral and arguably more masculine.

black-black V2 is total disaster ! different perfume ! RIP DH.
    They practically moved out the Iris opening , and made the coco vibe more intense , very dry , and very very bitter . The coco smells now more as sawdust.
    After 2 hours the smell is gone! longevity is ridiculous.

This is my untrained nose summery for this issue
    Last edited by ace11; 23rd November 2011 at 01:39 PM.