Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I think Dior Homme has changed ...

Recently I was browsing through Sephora aisles and I noticed the bottle of Dior Homme (regular, not Intense, nor Sport) has changed. The ring near the nozzle is no longer alu grey but black, a silver ring is embossed in the cap and the "straw" that hide the spray tube is no longer silver either but black.

Usually, a change in the design means a change in the scent. And with Dior you're never sure of anything (LVMH oblige!). Big big warnings for me.

A few spray on a blotter and sure enough, I can notice differences, subtle yes but that's not my Dior Homme anymore. But I might be mistaken.

So I ask the SA to make me a decant, then at home I test. A full wearing of my Dior Homme bottle on me (bought in early 2009 - absolutely perfect condition), another spray on the right wrist. No difference, and actually, almost nothing from the wrist which is perfectly fine with me as I wear the scent on myself. On the left wrist, a good dab of my decant of the "new" Dior Homme.

And there's actually some big differences. You not longer get that big plushy/dry cloud of iris. Now you're left with some iris, flatter, leaner and frankly just enough to say there's iris in it. 5 mn into the new one, the slightly buttery notes you would experience after an hour with the old one is here and way to much in the foreground. What is noticeable too is a huge dusty green and acidic lavender which was much more tamed in the previous one. The odd meaty quality that you could experience in the heart of the perfume is not really there in the new one.

I haven't deciphered all the differences but these are the major ones I noticed.

I really don't understand why it has been already reformulated.

Quel dommage!

Default Re: I think Dior Homme has changed ...

Is it possible the bottle in the store got cooked under the light thus changing the fragrance?

I agree. Different bottle, different fragrance. Such a shame!

Do you think they have re-formulated already?? Maybe they decided to skimp on the iris in an effort to reduce cost?

All hell will break loose if this is true!

VERY worrying news, if it turns out to be correct!
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

I have just bought this and if its true I have the pre-formulated bottle thank goodness. People who love this scent now is the time to stock up. Otherwise years from now we will be talking about how good the vintage is and how the last bottle of the old stuff has be sold on E bay. Grim news if true.
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

@hypr : this is unlikely because the tester was fairly full and this is a huge sephora in the suburbs of Paris that is packed with people everyday, and Dior Homme being quite popular here, I guess testers stands no more than a few day on the shelves (a SA told me they were changing PR 1 million testers twice a day because it was so popular)

@calero : it may have been reformulated to cut corners on the price of the formula, though iris has been fairly cheap ever since Biolandes labs found a way to age iris roots faster. My guess is that Dior head perfurmer likes to fiddle with every perfume he hasn't composed. Evidences ? J'adore which changed a few years back, Fahrenheit (another reformulation just after the second one, this ref. made the new distantly related to the previous one), Eau Sauvage Extrême discontinued and reissued as a "new" scent and a few days ago, Miss Dior Chérie (see 1000fragrances blog for the full story). Add Dior Homme to the pile. This very subject about Dior and reformulations in general might end up in another thread because there's a lot to say.

@Jack Hunter : I'll check every shop I can think of for backups, hoarding on the way ^^

The main difference between the two one, apart from the bottle which is obvious, is the list of ingredients on the bottom of the box, and their order in the listing. Hope this helps.

Goddamned, I should have bought an extra bottle of Dior Homme in august 2010, that's probably when reformulation started!
    Have a look at this, back then I wondered what happened but didn't have a clue:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/258...-Homme-is-this

If I was a cynic I would think that fragrance houses have a policy of using their best ingredients and best marketing strategy in launching a new product. Then when they have Joe public hooked with a successful product they cut back on the quality to save cash and improve the profit margin. Hoping the public in general will not be able to tell the difference or care to much for it to effect sales.

I say this because how many times with different fragrance house's have we seen the exact same thing happen!
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    If I was a cynic I would think that fragrance houses have a policy of using their best ingredients and best marketing strategy in launching a new product. Then when they have Joe public hooked with a successful product they cut back on the quality to save cash and improve the profit margin. Hoping the public in general will not be able to tell the difference or care to much for it to effect sales.

I say this because how many times with different fragrance house's have we seen the exact same thing happen!
    I have the exact feeling.

Indeed, this shows very poor consideration for customers. Ha!

Hey AirBureau, could you please post the ingredient list (order) of your original bottle here? Or send me a message.

Please can you show us picks of the two bottles, the reformulated and the "vintage"?

Its tim to buy some vintage! LOL, so early!

I will cook up something with pics and "recipes" as soon as i can lay hands on my bottle back at home. Meanwhile, I'll take pictures of the new one during lunch break.

I think i find:

Reformulated:

Vintage Dior Homme:

Dior Homme Intense:

This is the new reformulated.

This is the original, superior fragrance.

Its time to buy it!
    I will love to post at the SOTD:

Dior Homme, vintage, off course!

LOL, 4 years!!!!

Dior Homme Cologne isn't on the Dior Homme site now. I don't know if it was before but it was widely available here in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond Hume View Post
    Dior Homme Cologne isn't on the Dior Homme site now. I don't know if it was before but it was widely available here in Europe.
    Maybe discontinued?

Oh god, 1 reformulated, other discontinued...

Can't believe they'd mess with a classic so soon. What a shame.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

+1. I think this has been going on for quite some time...

Regarding the reformulation of Dior Homme, this has been occasionally speculated in the past, as far back as 2007. I'm certain that Scentemental made a comment about it around this time but am unable to find the post (something about being thankful that he already has a plentiful supply of the original formulation as back-up).

So, as much as many are shocked, it was pretty inevitable. In addition, for all we know, this could be the second reformulation and not necessarily the first - just bear that in mind.

These days, if I discover a new fragrance that's excellent and worth owning, I try to buy at least one back-up bottle ASAP (but only if I feel it's necessary). Times have changed, I'm afraid...
    Last edited by Trebor; 8th March 2011 at 08:59 PM.

I just tried a new batch "freshly shipped".

The iris megacloud is still ...as omnipresent as ever. But the somewhat synthy amber-woods drydown has been significantly amped up. I would still buy it, it hasn't been butchered badly or anything.
    -

Any noticeable changes to the box? That might make it easier to spot if you are purchasing it in a store.

Ugh, I obtained a sample of this a couple months ago, and I can't recall what the bottle looked like. I guess now I'll never know which version I've tried out!

Damn damn double damn!

Is the iris in Dior Homme synthetic?? I'm currently reading The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr and he mentions "...the gorgeous synthetic iris the perfumer Olivier Polge created when he made Dior Homme."

If it is a synthetic iris, then what would be the reasoning for re-formulation if cutting production costs is the motivating factor? The synthetic is too costly?

Someone wants a bigger bonus this year so they worked out you can save 0.001c per ml by changing things and so it is done - such are the joy's...... I've only just discovered this frag and I think I'm already going to have to buy a backup.

I smelled the black tube bottle yesterday and got an horrible lemon/bergamot note :-(

It`s very sad to open the forum and find this thread on the day that i decided to wear it. It`s one of the few fragrances that i really thought that there wasn`t anything else like it on the commercial market. That`s probably why they reformulated it. Well. i think i`ll need to buy another one now...
    Does anybody knows if the 40ml version of it already carries the reformulated juice?

The original is a great scent that my wife just loves on me. I've had the same bottle for the past 3 years and it's still at least 70% full, so really I'm in fine shape. I'll get sick of it before I ever worry about a change.