Code of Conduct

Default Beautiful, economical fragrance display....all samples!

Hi all, I have only been learning about fragrances for a few months but also absolutely have a well known addictive personality. My rule for myself is "no full bottles whatsoever." What I use is an expanding small shelving unit (intended for kitchen spices) and ordered mirrors cut to size to place on the little shelves. The mirrors were $11.00 total at the local glass shop and look just beautiful.

I also purchased little wide mouth 5/8 dram vials (Less than $20 including shipping for 12) that tester fragrances can actually be sprayed into. I am not too proud to ask at a perfume counter for a mL or so. I always offer to pay but so far they either say yes or no, never charging me.

Next, I got some clear label printing paper so that I can type and print nice labels on my little sample bottles and line them up with pride next to the beautifully labeled, purchased 1.5 mL sprays from The Perfumed Court or whomever else.

My personal limit is 5 mL of any given fragrance at any time...after just a few months I already have close to 20 samples of the best and most expensive classics. Anything I don't really enjoy goes to my sister Donna on the West Coast. More and more I do not even purchase samples blindly...$3 is after all $3!

Oh, and it is so easy to just order another couple of mL to refill your sample bottles if it is something you don't want to run out of! I am so proud of myself and just wanted to offer some alternative ideas and encouragement.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Beautiful, economical fragrance display....all samples!

Welcome to Basenotes, classicswearer! It sounds like you have a good handle on a system that works for you.

I totally agree about buying even samples mindfully-- those $3 and $4 do add up, not to mention shipping.

Welcome to Basenotes. I like your economical approach. I am located next state over of yours, about 80 miles from Sioux Falls.

Blog Entries

Hi. Would you mind sharing photos of how you display your samples? I have about 50, in varying widths (from ebay, luckyscent and perfumed court). Some I have in clear acrylic business card holders (holds about ten), or small plastic containers for mixing paint (holds 6 or 7 vials).

Thank you! i agree that samples are the way to start. I've only purchased one 100 ml bottle of something I love!

(I sent Fred 360 the following email with photos, which he is welcome to forward or I certainly can...

Hi,

Sorry to take so long getting back to you! I finally got some photos but could not figure out how to post them on the forum....the black capped, squatty vials are 5/8 dram from Pilot Vials online. 1 mL equals about 1/4 dram and they are less than $5 for a dozen, to transfer the 1 mL into so they sit up nicely and can be labeled. They sell atomizers as well (smallest is 1/8 oz).

My ultimate goal for those I like is to have paired sets of one little atomizer and one little "dauber."

Another inexpensive option is the semi-transparent, compartmentalized ammunition boxes sold at sporting goods stores, but I am all about cute little labeled bottles and mirrors

Happy fragrances,
    Classicswearer

Blog Entries

Hi. I have not received the email (or photos). I thnk you need to post the photos on another site, such as flickr or tumblr, and then you paste in that URL into a message. I have found that process tricky as well.

I think it's great that you will ask for an ML or so (I wonder how they know what am ml is measured out as?). Do you spray into a funnel, or use a dropper?

Here are a couple of the vial storage boxes I am considering:
    Fisher Scientific
    Cole-Parmer