Code of Conduct

Default Scent perception of different nostrils...

lol

My schnoz:

I'm surprised to discover that my left nostril is almost smell blind!

My right nostril's sense of smell is very acute.

Super weird and disappointing. Maybe my finding will change tomorrow, I don't know. It could be my biology is reacting to something in the environment.

I've always had a very good sense of smell...better than almost everyone I've compared myself to.

Test yourself. Is your sense of smell the same or different in different nostrils?
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

Default Re: Scent perception of different nostrils...

this consistent or just one time you tested it?

I remember in one those books (the emperor of scent?) somebody (Turin?) mentions that each nostril actually smells differently so it's best to move the paper back and forth when smelling. and also we apparently smell better with our eyes open.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Actually, for some reason the day I wrote the OP my left nostril was especially "blind". The best way to describe it is that I was only able to smell faintly out of it and in only "one dimension" when smelling faint smells. I could still smell strong and mild smells out of it (like perfumes or food cooking) but I could barley smell the faint smell coming from the tips of my fingers if I plugged my right nostril.

However, still to this day I have a much more acute sense of smell out of my right nostril than my left, even though my left is better than it was the other day. It's like my left nostril senses smells in one dimension and my right smells in three dimensions. Put them together and my world of smells is very three dimensional.

I'm glad to hear others have heard of something similar. I've never really tested my nose before like I have the last few months after getting interested in fragrances. When I went hiking over the weekend with my mom, my son, and his best friend, I would periodically ask them if they could smell the different smells of spring in the forest that I was noticing. Many times my mom couldn't smell what I could...which was very surprising since my mom's got the best nose of anyone I know personally. So, I guess I'm doing just fine, weird nostril and all...
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

The woman who taught me a lot of what I know about wine tasting said she always sniffed from each nostril, as certain aromas were more detectable to her in certain nostrils. She also taught me to sniff the wines once with my mouth closed, then again with my mouth open. For me, I don't notice a lot of differences, but sometimes, I do pick up mildly different nuances from each nostril. Just my $.02.

Yes it seems we do and it's something to do with sensory wiring to the brain. See these:
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl.../01/206906.htm
    http://news.stanford.edu/pr/99/991103smell.html