Code of Conduct

Default Millesime Imperial... My Thoughts a Few Years Later

Battling through the winter blues. Over half a foot of snow is covering everything outside my window. After a few months of allowing myself the sweet and spicy indulgences of my heavy hitters, I needed a ray of light to get me back on track.

Earlier this week, I was tending bar on a slow boring afternoon. Nobody at the bar, just some elderly couples huddled at tables slurping soup and hot tea. I went back into the kitchen to twiddle my thumbs for a few minutes. When I came back out, I saw a girl sitting alone at the bar, headphones on, scrolling through her iPhone on the bar (what else do people do these days when they're killing time?) as she waited for some service.

I came up and asked her what I could get her. She was a cute sunny Latin girl from the East Coast-- actually, in full disclosure, not normally my type, but she had such a sweet pixie-ish energy that I was just a little smitten (though she was in town with her boyfriend). We struck up a conversation about her ambition, which was to start her own bikini line. I then mentioned my own desire to start a fragrance line and she really lit up. I told her about some of my concepts that I was working on and she said I had some great ideas.

She told me that she liked to wear a lot of men's scents because she always liked her father's colognes when she was a kid. She pulled out a sample of Hanae Mori HM, which is one of my all-time favorite scents. Then she told me that her absolute favorite cologne of all time was Creed Millesime Imperial. I was stunned that she knew about it. She added that it was like "crack" to her and we laughed.

I remembered back to when I actually bought my Millesime Imperial in 2006 or so; a female Basenoter named "Tiffanyandco" (she's not been on here in a long while) had told me that I had to get it, because it was so sexy. I had a bit of a Basenotes crush on her, so I went and bought it-- and then subsequently started several juvenile threads about it, followed by threads about how frustrated I was by its "poor longevity". I carried on like a panicky n00b, I'll admit.

Cut to the present. Last week I had to go to dinner at my parents' house and I was looking through my drobe looking for something to wear. I grabbed Millesime Imperial and gave myself a single spray to my chest (OK, maybe 2 sprays, taking into account the typical dodgy Creed atomizer "misfires"). I was absolutely shocked at how great the longevity was. In the old days where I was new to MI, I would spray the heck out of it, trying to get the topnotes in every breath I took and it seemed to just fade to nothing in 15 minutes. Now, having been away from it for a long time, I couldn't believe this was the same scent. But it is, same golden bottle and all ( I wish they hadn't redesigned the bottle-- I think the solid gold look is iconic--though I do sometimes expect it to begin speaking in the voice of C-3P0)

The scent itself: In all of the hundreds, maybe thousands of things I've ever smelled, I've never encountered topnotes that were as beautiful as those in Millesime Imperial. The blast of freshness, the saltiness, the fruit, the sense of "space". Not long after getting Millesime Imperial, I wore it to an amusement park and at the end of the day, we went on a water ride-- at the end of the ride, we had to stand on a boardwalk, up against a metal grate, while waves came crashing over us. That experience was so much enhanced by the Millesime Imperial-- just the musky, saline freshness on my skin as it dried in the sun, walking to the car.

Sure, there is also a strangeness in Millesime Imperial. The vague suggestion of suede as it dries down, the smell of freshly polished brass, something like some kind of glue fumes, the buttery ionones/iris keeping a sense of softness. I remember in junior high, taking my alto saxophone to the repair shop to get some of the leather pads and cork replaced. Parts of Millesime Imperial smell like opening the case of a freshly polished saxophone, just back from the repair shop. Odd, but it's all there. The saltiness and dry woods of reeds(I remember buying reeds from my band director and I always savored the smell when he got out the box of reeds.), the metallic brassiness, the leather of pads and neckstrap, the wax of cork grease-- and all this not without the warm sunshine on my back and fresh breeze through my hair as we marched across the football field. Eau de Band Geek? This was supposedly created for a Saudi prince, but if anything, it makes me think of Bill Clinton blowin' his sax on Arsenio Hall.

Well, anyway, this past week I've worn Millesime Imperial many times in a row, trying to take advantage of its powers to uplift. There have been a lot of imitators, but to me nobody can top Millesime Imperial in its class. The one strike against was always its longevity, and now I've had to seriously reconsider that. Plus, I have it on good authority from someone, somewhere that it drives strippers and Hooters waitresses bonkers!
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 22nd January 2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Millesime Imperial... My Thoughts a Few Years Later

Thanks for writing that and posting it here, I really enjoyed reading it.
    By coincidence I am wearing MI today too. I too loved it at first and then went off it for a time because of the marine notes and the slightly plasticky smell it can have into the drydown. Then I had a revelation - all my perfume choices seemed too serious and solemn. MI was just the thing to bring a little light-heartedness joy and frivolity back into my frag life. Now I very much enjoy it and the easy going feeling it brings out of me. Those top notes do smell damn good - and the drydown has a richness which is quite pleasing.

Longevity is excellent. I agree with you that complaints about longevity are usually about wanting to smell the topnotes forever...
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I was going to wear MI today as well, but my cold is killing me so I went without.

While I don't think the longevity is great, I still think it's onlys lightly below average. And it IS one of the only fragrances I have ever worn and gotten a compliment from a pretty girl, so that counts for something!

Basenotes Plus

Cracking read - thanks for posting. I have huge affection for MI and have never encountered the longevity problems many here have. I agree that the copyists are lame pretenders to the throne.
    Can't comment on strippers etc but my girlfriend certainly likes it. It is firmly cemented as one of my all time favourites.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 21st January 2011 at 11:47 PM.

I had made several decants for a friend of mine who's a girl. When it came time for her to buy just one scent recently with a gift certificate she received, she chose Millesime Imperial saying it was the one scent she could just bath in all day long.
    The Bark Bites Back.

It's one of my favorite scents in the summer...... Great post.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    It's one of my favorite scents in the summer.
    Among my preferred also.

I love the scent as well, and I am not an aquatic guy by any means.

MI is my main scent. I don't categorize it as aquatic at all. It's watermelon, somewhat bubble-gummy, ambergris. The watermelon note is oddly perfect. If someone had told me it had the melon note, I never would have bought it. It's perfect.

Sure it is non-linear, but even the dry down is nice.

Maybe it's due to my gold bottled version, but I feel like a million when I wear it.

Thanks for the very enjoyable read mate.

I love a fragrance write-up that comes with a great story.

FWIW I've tried MI and think it smells very nice, and I sure wouldn't call it aquatic.

Ah, Imperial and Silver Mountain Water are still great example of judicious and expert use of aquatic notes in a full-bodied composition. These two powered Creed through the 90s and were oft-copied but never bettered. While their uniqueness might have taken a bit of a hit due to various copy-cats these two can still stand tall.

MI and SMW will always be in my wardrobe but right now they have taken a backseat to the equally wonderful duo of ViW and Aventus, two future stars which attract a lot of attention and compliments from the crowd.....ViW and Aventus will power Creed through the 2010s...
    -

Great post! I'm definitely a fan as well. I haven't worn in it in awhile, as I plan on using it to signal the coming of spring. I'll probably start wearing it in February sometime. There's nothing quite like revisiting a favorite. That's the main reason I go to my huge sample collection as opposed to my bottle collection. That way, it's been a long while since I'd smelled it and it's almost like I'm wearing it for the first time all over again. I can't wait to use Kenzo Power! It's been a couple months now. It'll be so great.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Thanks for writing that and posting it here, I really enjoyed reading it.
    By coincidence I am wearing MI today too. I too loved it at first and then went off it for a time because of the marine notes and the slightly plasticky smell it can have into the drydown. Then I had a revelation - all my perfume choices seemed too serious and solemn. MI was just the thing to bring a little light-heartedness joy and frivolity back into my frag life. Now I very much enjoy it and the easy going feeling it brings out of me. Those top notes do smell damn good - and the drydown has a richness which is quite pleasing.

Longevity is excellent. I agree with you that complaints about longevity are usually about wanting to smell the topnotes forever...
    But if one was to spray his hair(walking under a mist after spraying upwards),or clothes,wouldn't this keep the top notes going all day??

I love this as well...my wife likes it...as does my sister..she said I smelled "fancy", lol.

Good scent. Def not a winter choice for me. I wore it a week ago and I regretted it.

i've been buying a bottle a week since i only had a couple of bottles left when i started testing stuff again. maybe i should just by this and call it a day. most interesting scents don't really work in my climate anyway.
    “A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (1905—1996)

Milliseme Imperial is an All Star!
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
    But if one was to spray his hair(walking under a mist after spraying upwards),or clothes,wouldn't this keep the top notes going all day??
    That's what I do.