Code of Conduct

Default Eau de Guerlain - Eau Sauvage - Chanel Pour Monsieur - Which One Do You Like The Most

I am thinking in visiting these classic citrus fragrances and was wondering which one you like the best?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Eau de Guerlain - Eau Sauvage - Chanel Pour Monsieur - Which One Do You Like The Most

Of the three, Chanel pour Monsieur.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Eau de Guerlain - Eau Sauvage - Chanel Pour Monsieur - Which One Do You Like The Most

Chanel Pour Monsieur. Probably it's the best mens fragrance ever created
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Chanel Pour Monsieur then
    Eau de Guerlain

Don't care much about Eau Sauvage

I have never tried the Guerlain, but I do have a enjoy both the Chanel and the Dior. Those two are very different and so it is hard to choose between them. But, if I did have to choose, I would take the Chanel because it is a more refined fragance and quite beautiful.

I like Eau Sauvage best, with the Chanel a close second. But I don't consider them to be very similar in the first place, except that they are both technically cyphres. You could easily own both with no overlap.

Eau de Guerlain smells fabulous, but the longevity is terrible. So if longevity isn't a factor here, that might be the top choice. And if you're looking into Guerlain Eaus, you must check out Eau du Coq.

Anyway, you would do well picking any of these.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

For citrus - Eau de Guerlain. For overall best masuline chypre - Chanel Pour Monsieur.

IMO, it would be OK to own all 3 of these.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I found Eau de Guerlain to be a bit too herbal for me. I prefer the simpler, clearer Guerlain Eauxs.

Eau Sauvage...I like the vetivery drydown, but the current formulations have too much hedione (resulting in a sweetish candy floral heart) and the citrus on top isn't as bright or clear as I would like it to be.

CPM, even in its current guise, has very good materials and a great blend of lemon and cardamom resulting in a tangy dusty spicy citrus.
    -

Blog Entries

*Sigh* dammit, this is like making me choose my favorite Oasis song.

I'm gonna roll with volley on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Chanel Pour Monsieur then
    Eau de Guerlain

Don't care much about Eau Sauvage
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I like Eau Sauvage best, with the Chanel a close second. But I don't consider them to be very similar in the first place, except that they are both technically cyphres. You could easily own both with no overlap.

Eau de Guerlain smells fabulous, but the longevity is terrible. So if longevity isn't a factor here, that might be the top choice. And if you're looking into Guerlain Eaus, you must check out Eau du Coq.

Anyway, you would do well picking any of these.
    I actually get better longevity from Eau de Guerlain then any of the other Guerlain Eaux, but perhaps that's because I have vintage bottles and not the new stuff.

Interesting set of three fragrances to compare. While all have citrus topnotes they're in slightly different genres. Eau de Guerlain is a traditional citrus/floral, CPM is a chypre, and Eau Sauvage is somewhere in between, neither a full chypre nor a citrus/floral, but also both. These are three excellent perfumes so you can't go wrong with any of them - but owning one does not preclude owning the others (I own all three). Personally I prefer Eau de Guerlain of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    I actually get better longevity from Eau de Guerlain then any of the other Guerlain Eaux, but perhaps that's because I have vintage bottles and not the new stuff.
    I agree. Eau De Guerlain is one of the longer lasting eauxs I have tried. However after the citrus top notes fade away in minutes, its the contentious herbal heart of the fragrance (on a base of tonka and some oakmoss) which is responsible for the 6-7 hour longevity.
    -

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    I actually get better longevity from Eau de Guerlain then any of the other Guerlain Eaux, but perhaps that's because I have vintage bottles and not the new stuff......
    I have the current release of EdG and the longevity is still very impressive. I own all 3 of the topical frags and prefer EdG the most, followed by Eau Sauvage.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'm going with Eau de Guerlain - one of my all time favorite Eaus.
    Next I'd pick Chanel PM, however, I've found that it can sometimes smell like bleach on my skin.
    And in last place, Eau Sauvage. Surprisingly, I've never gone head over heels for it.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 9th March 2011 at 07:16 PM.

I don't know Eau de Guerlain, so can't comment on that. I have both Chanel PM and Eau Sauvage though, and both are fantastic scents. Both very classy and elegant, and both worth having in my opinion.
    LOST! in scent and music

Of these three, an even score between Pour Monsieur and Eau Sauvage

I own and love all three of these. Like others, I think all are different and all are worth owning. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Eau Sauvage. Out of these, I wear it the most. When I can't decide what to wear, I often go to it. It's a great masculine that feels right every time.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Eau Sauvage

Chanel PM, hands down.

Eau Sauvage...most classy

chanel pour monsieur. ice cold.

Interesting to see that Chanel Pour Monsieur is actually challenged against 2 classic citrus fragrances. It tells a lot about how it is perceived today and how bad the current formulation is (no offense, how completely different from the original the current formulation is.) Who would dare comparing Mitsouko with Eau Sauvage? Yet vintage CPM is much closer from Mitsouko than it is from Eau Sauvage....