Code of Conduct

Default Quorum vs Halston z-14 vs Grey Flannel. Which should I (blind) buy?

With free shipping at scented monkey (coupon = "freegs" & expires 3/16) and 25% off & free shipping at perfumania ("MANIA25" This was going on yesterday - not 100% sure it still is), I'm considering a modest blind buy.

Given their prices and descriptions here, I definitely want to try out Cuba Red and Cuba Gold. And I want one or possible two more, but I'm not sure what to get--Quorum, Halston z-14, &/or Grey Flannel. Part of the problem is that I'm a newbie and don't have an established taste yet although from my limited exposure, I am attracted to the older 'powerhouse' scents. And I like the description on all three of these. The question is which should I try?

All of the options are very affordable, so there isn't so much of a risk. At the same time, I'm on a pretty tight budget, so.. yeah.

Thanks for any input!

PS - Has anyone had especially good or especially bad experiences with either of these vendors?

Default Re: Quorum vs Halston z-14 vs Grey Flannel. Which should I (blind) buy?

Bueller, bueller..

Alright. A smaller bottle of quorum it is.

I'd say Quorum>Z14>Grey Flannel. (I have all 3)
    GF is an acquired taste.

I would choose Grey Flannel

IMO none of them. I'd go with something completely different.

Have you checked your local discounters yet? (TJMaxx,Marshalls,Ross,Big Lots-in the USA)(TKMaxx in the UK)
    I can find Quarum for $15 probably the same for the other two if not less (Big Lots had some Gray Flannel for$3-4 ).

I can't tolerate Grey Flannel so that's out. I'd say Z-14 is more versatile than Quorum. I like Quorum but can't wear it that often. If you want the most versatile "cheapo" (that is still interesting), go for 101 Men by Giorgio Valenti (scentedmonkey).

I think all three of them get overbearing after a while................so whatever you are getting...get a smaller bottle. if you like more pepper go for GF. If you like tobacco/leather , then go for Quorum.
    just a suggestion

Thanks for the suggestions- most appreciated!!

Do the discount places let you smell the cologne at all or are they all sealed up?

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I saw that aqua di selva on there too. I saw someone describe it as a very green scent in their review (shamu1 I think), which made me curious to try it (I said I was a newbie, right?)

And hednic, you're probably right - trying out a totally different kind of scent probably would be a good way of exploring more territory. Next step, read the 101 men reviews. I can see how this might become addictive.

Sur la Plage

IMO - Grey Flannel > Halston Z-14 > Quorum

If you have a store nearby like Perfumania, you may be able to try them there.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Have you checked your local discounters yet? (TJMaxx,Marshalls,Ross,Big Lots-in the USA)(TKMaxx in the UK)
    I can find Quarum for $15 probably the same for the other two if not less (Big Lots had some Gray Flannel for$3-4 ).

This was a dangerous suggestion. Thank you. Marshall's didn't have quorum (I'd already pulled the trigger on that one anyway ), but they did have a cheap bottle of z-14, which I bought. Later I saw TJ Maxx had a really cheap bottle of gray flannel, which I came really close to buying and most likely will in the future. Hoping to check out the other ones mentioned soon. Thanks!
    Last edited by blipd; 21st March 2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: meant to click 'reply with quote.' whoops

OK, well it looks like you have the ball rolling on the Quorum and you snagged some Z-14as well. Quorum is potent stuff with great longevity; kinda floral in the middle (on me, at least) and a leathery drydown. Z-14 I wore in high school, still wear it once in a while; powerful with a complex, evolving nature on my skin.....I acquired a taste for it because my older brother wore it before I did and upon trying it, I dug it. He also wore Grey Flannel, but I admit, it's been AGES since I tried some.

Happy hunting! =)

I blind-bought Grey Flannel and Z14 and was extremely pleased with both