Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default March Blind Sniff: Those Moody Blues

Here goes: since we had a Red Blind Sniff in January, I thought it would be a good idea to sniff the Blues for a sense of balance. While settling on the name we -- darkdreams and I -- thought about Shades of Blue (already taken as a personal name, Hi Shades!), One Way Ticket to the Blues (Neil Sedaka way, no less), Out of the Blue, etc. and finally thought about Those Moody Blues.

If only you knew how many times I have heard "I can't stand anything coming in blue boxes/bottles or light blue in color or with the name having to do with the color Blue" while speaking about fragrances! While I can understand these people's blues -- TM Angel, Cacharel LouLou, D&G Light Blue and Coty Adidas of all stripes are certainly NOT for everybody -- we can all pitch in and come up with an alternative list of very nice fragrances while you think of the color blue -- sunny March skies and sea waves, stormy nights and quiet twilights, huge corporation logos and melancholy, precious gems and modest forget-me-nots, everything from the Blue Bird to the Blue Beard. These fragrances would express a wide range of olfactory emotions, belong to different fragrance categories and -- more importantly -- bear the imprint of your own persona. Out of a long long list of Blue Fragrances, we have selected three, and they can be full blooded representation of the genre, like in "blue blood". Please sniff Those Moody three and post your impressions.

Our sniffers are: Aiona, hilaryjane (UK) and Thalia.
    Twolf is hosting and darkdreams is co-hosting.

Everybody can participate by posting your questions/thoughts here or using the PM function.

The goal is to figure out the identity of the scents that our Sniffers have received, right now they are labeled as A, B and C. It is also to find new fragrance likes and make us Basenoters learn more about each other.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Twolf; 11th March 2011 at 10:03 AM.

happy is the bleu heart<3

Default Re: March Blind Sniff: Those Moody Blues

ahhh! This sounds right up my alley! Really? There are people who don't like blue bottles, boxes, or juice? I can't imagine.

Yes, there is a whole rainbow of shades of blue ... and just as many moods, feelings, and temperaments for each and every shade.

Good luck, everyone!

(PS I'm going to sticky the thread to make it easier to find.)

Good morning, sniffers and everyone else! Are you ready to start today?

I'm ready! I get home from work around 6 p.m. Pacific Time, so 9 Eastern. I find the theme very intriguing, because blue is one of my favorite colors, and yet blue-tinted perfumes look like Windex to me ...
    This scent is great, but ... MORE KITTENS!

LOL @ Windex comparison, Thalia! They do, don't they?

Hilaryjane reported on the main thread she would be available Saturday and/or Sunday, but you can go ahead and sniff your sample A to your heart's content. I will be here -- it is 8 pm my time tonight, I suppose.

Should I wait, or go ahead with A tonight? I can do either.

I would say Go ahead. I will be here at 8pm my time, hopefully Aiona can join you.

OK, I'll jump on at six and start smelling!

Here is an image to set the mood for sample A.

the photo belongs to http://www.flickr.com/photos/magic_fly/

Blog Entries

Looking forward to it! Beautiful image!

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Good morning, sniffers and everyone else! Are you ready to start today?
    Ack! I am ready! It is 15 minutes to 8 PM. I believe Twolf and I are in the same time zone?

Shall I start with A?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

I stupidly sampled Feuille de Tabac today, and am now desperately looking for unscented soap! Funny how you can never find unscented soap when you need it!

Oh well, I'll just have to spray a little bit unconventionally. Say when!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

I just rubbed down with unscented deodorant and soap, and I'm ready to spray!

Aiona, shall we go for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    Aiona, shall we go for it?
    It *is* 8 PM my time. I guess so.

Ready, set, go!

Seems like we are slower -- like usual -- today! Would not one know it? hahaha

OK -- it goes on sweet. And citric -- not bergamot, I think.

It's opening fresh, not warm.

Lemon?

Oh geez, there's something a little urinous in there.

Okay, now I'm worried. Thalia, I have not smelled this before. I have no idea what it is!

A is a beautiful yellow color. It is clearly not viscous. I have about a 1 ml sample in a miniature atomizer. It rolls back and forth easily. So it's not an oil.

I sniffed the nozzle, and it smells a bit oily. Vaguely familiar. But when I spray it on my skin, I agree with Thalia, the opening is a sharp alcohol smell, and very fruity sharp! But it's not a familiar fruit. Maybe vaguely like rambutan. But not really.

Definitely not bergamot.

And it smells. . . oily? I don't know what that note is. I've smelled it in other perfumes before.

Can we Google for notes?

After the opening, it isn't sweet at all -- it's kind of woody. Like maybe cedar? Cedar or some other wood and lemon Pledge and that weird tangy pee-ish note

You can Google or use whatever source you would like.

Bergamot -- Yes!

Yeah, it opened with a REALLY STRONG alcohol note, but I thought that was just because I had sprayed a lot and sniffed right away.

Blog Entries

Ladies, do you get any vibe from the fragrance? Do you think, is it designer, niche or mass market fragrance? Does it have a celeb vibe?

Aiona, I will pick this tip from you next time I'm sniffing -- to roll the liquid up and down the vial.

I don't recognize this at all, either, Aiona, but I didn't expect to -- I'm not that experienced!

If I had to guess, I would guess this is a masculine. Or else a '90s unisex.

lemon Pledge and that weird tangy pee-ish note
    Ah, yes. That oily smell does kind of remind me of a wood furniture cleaner, making me think of that oily sheen one has, after one has wiped with it. Something sharp. Maybe that's what you are smelling as a pee note.

It has some pretty good sillage, too. I sprayed it in one room, and left that room. Husband walked into that room and goes, "My God! Does the whole house smell like perfume!" He doesn't like anything I wear.

It's not an unpleasant perfume, but it's not something I typically wear. If I were to guess, I'd say it's marketed for women.

Yes, this is pretty strong! Hey, is there cumin in this? I'm starting to get a little bit of a curryish feeling ...

Does it smell expensive? How much would one pay for, say, 50ml of Fragrance A, if it were your taste?

Also, I'm pretty sure there's vanilla. My daughter sniffed my wrist and she picked it up right away! Like vanilla extract, not cupcakes.

If I had to guess, I would guess this is a masculine. Or else a '90s unisex.
    I am cracking up! It really is a subjective thing, huh? Ah well.

And I was wrong about the bergamot, I see. Ah well, again. I am striking out a lot tonight!

As for what kind of scent this is. . . gee, let's see if I can get three strikes tonight! I don't sniff a lot of celebuscents, so I don't know that I can really classify them. I do think it has something in it that enhances its sillage. Could it be something synthetic? And if so, perhaps it's more likely to be a more mass market type fragrance?

Waiting for the umpire's call,
    Aiona

Um, I'm terrible at guessing priciness! but it doesn't smell artificial or shampooey, so I'm guessing it's fairly expensive.

Hahahaha! Again, we're getting different impressions.

I guess I would expect a cheap citrussy vanilla to be really sweet ...

The notes picked up correctly so far are: bergamot, vanilla.

What do you think is the character of Fragrance A -- I know you have mentioned fresh and warm. COuld you please come up with more descriptives?

I agree with Thalia, there's gotta be vanilla in it, which is why it's tolerable to me. Vanilla or something of the like, like tonka bean.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Does it smell expensive? How much would one pay for, say, 50ml of Fragrance A, if it were your taste?
    Well, based on my guess that it might harbor something synthetic that makes it project so awesomely, I would guess it's mass marketed, and hence, not as expensive as something with more subtle natural oils. So, based on that assumption, I would say it's, er. . . $90/50 ml?

It costs more than $30 for 50ml.

Hahahaha! Again, we're getting different impressions.
    Indeed! My goodness! I hope we're not confusing readers with our different impressions!

I do agree that it does *not* smell shampooey. I have never smelled a shampoo like this perfume.

I got good projection on this skin too. It also lasts, especially on the hair.

Harsh. Full -- it's not a sheer scent. There's something animalic about it.

Is there rose in this?

It's getting floral and, oddly, less woody to me -- usually things get MORE woody!

The notes picked up correctly so far are: bergamot, vanilla.
    Yay! That rules out at least 2 fragrances in the world.

What do you think is the character of Fragrance A -- I know you have mentioned fresh and warm. COuld you please come up with more descriptives?
    Hmm. . . well, it's "oily." Most other "oily" perfumes I've smelled tend to be nighttime perfumes. Something I'd wear for an evening out. But this has that sharp, fruity smell that makes it a little less cloying/oily.

I'm not sure how to describe it.

i think Aiona is right -- this is marketed as a feminine.

Is there rose in this?
    Rose! Yes, Thalia! That's the floral smell!

Blog Entries

It costs more than $30 for 50ml.
    ...but less than $40? or are you just saying "more than $30"?

Yeah, Rose. Definitely rose. It's been 30+ minutes post-spray on skin, and now that you've mentioned that 'rose,' Thalia, that's all I can smell now! Maybe a bit of vanilla, and that's what makes it tolerable.

I don't think there is any patchouli in it. Or if there is, it's not a lot.

It smells oily to me too - like citrus peel oil, not juice ...

Harsh. Full -- it's not a sheer scent. There's something animalic about it.
    Maybe the oily thing I'm smelling. Maybe civet?

You, ladies, are doing an increadibly great job. I have just checked the BN directory -- out of 383 fragrances containing bergamot and vanilla, would you say it is in any way similar to:
    TM Angel,
    Lanvin Arpege,
    Anna Pliska,
    VW Boudoir?

Warum, it is more than $30 for 50ml.

I'm totally not good at classification. I can say with absolute certainty that it is not an acquatic.

But could it be a sort of chypre? Or oriental?

It's definitely not 'green.'

It could be a lot of things! not leather, I'm pretty sure, but could be civet or cumin for sweatiness ...

I get this citrus peel oil too, slightly fruity and sort of heavy.

"Civet" would be a blonde singing in the deep bass octave -- do you really get that?

Yeah, not green, not gourmand, or aquatic, or fruity-floral in the tutti-frutti sense. Chypre sounds good, or oriental. Or aromatic?

Let me clarify. I do not think this is an aquatic because I smell no melon (which I associate with aquatics).

It is not anything like Angel. Why? Because it does not bowl me over with patchouli of any sort.
    I have not tried Arpege or Pliska.
    I *have* tried Boudoir. Um, it does kind of remind me of Boudoir.

I'm not sure I recognize civet! Although there's a weird skankiness in Chanel No. 5 taht I have always assumed was civet.

I get this citrus peel oil too, slightly fruity and sort of heavy.

"Civet" would be a blond singing in the deep bass octave -- do you really get that?
    Yeah, you're right. I don't get civet. And it's definitely not a leather scent.

I don't smell any rosemary or artemesia in it that I associate with aromatics like Yatagan.

Boudoir. . . made stinky by the viburnum, I believe. Sample A does have a bit of stinkiness to it.
    Boudoir had a smell like fish sauce to me. Sample A doesn't smell like fish sauce. But. . . it has a similar quality.

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't smelled any of the scents you list!

TM Angel,
    Lanvin Arpege,
    Anna Pliska,
    VW Boudoir

Boudoir seems plausible because my understanding is that that one's a little dirty. Angel's a big chocolate patchouli sweet bomb, yes? This is barely sweet. Anne Pliska is an orangey warm oriental, right?

Is there amber in this?