Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 163
  1. #1
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Red face *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    I am trying to put together a concerted effort to convince Proctor & Gamble (which now owns the Jean Patou Company) to bring back the discontinued Patou pour Homme and Patou pour Homme Prive. I contacted P & G recently by email urging them to bring back these scents and they said given the popularity of vintage type scents, they were interested. This seems to be an improvement over saying they were not interested in past years. Please send Proctor & Gamble an email urging them to bring back Patou pour Homme and Patou pour Homme Prive:

    pg@custhelp.com
    pg_naconsumerrelations@mailnj.custhelp.com

    Please also visit the Jean Patou site and contact their sales team as well. It's a shot in the dark, but it might just work. Aramis gave in and brought back Havana.

  2. #2

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Great Idea !!
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

  3. #3

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    If it happens, then you have to worry that they'd replace the base with something bland/generic.

  4. #4

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Count me in on this Have heard great things about both fragrances, but have been unwilling to spring the money for a small sample. I'd love to see them in production again, at a more affordable price--even if they are reformulated. I'd imagine even reformulations of these scents would still overshadow most other offerings.

  5. #5
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Well, let's keep the emails going and hope for the best. I think Pluran tried this a while back with a decent response from PG.

  6. #6
    EDJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    I am on the board as well.
    What should i do?

  7. #7

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I contacted P & G recently by email urging them to bring back these scents and they said given the popularity of vintage type scents, they were interested. This seems to be an improvement over saying they were not interested in past years.
    Thank you, that is some great news. Count me in, we need to start bombarding P&G again with emails requesting reinstatement of these two great fragrances.

  8. #8
    SmellChaser
    scentsitivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Thanks for making this effort.

  9. #9
    rickbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If it happens, then you have to worry that they'd replace the base with something bland/generic.
    It ocurred me the same idea that Bigsly pointed when i opened this thread. It`ll be probably be not so great at the original, and you`ll have the impression of dating again someone that you love just to discover that all that you liked on that person has gone...

  10. #10

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    As much as I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, even if they were re-released, they'd be reformulated and cheapened (remember, we're talking about Proctor & Gamble here - wakey, wakey!).

    Then Basenoters will no longer be complaining about the discontinuation of these two 'classics' but, instead, b*tching about how they have both been butchered.

    Give up the ghost and move on, I say...

  11. #11
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    We tried to do the same with Rochas to no avail. Anyway, there is no worst thing than a bad enterprise that is not beig addressed at, so better give it a try.

  12. #12
    SmellChaser
    scentsitivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    As much as I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, even if they were re-released, they'd be reformulated and cheapened (remember, we're talking about Proctor & Gamble here - wakey, wakey!).

    Then Basenoters will no longer be complaining about the discontinuation of these two 'classics' but, instead, b*tching about how they have both been butchered.

    Give up the ghost and move on, I say...
    Some of us don't know what the originals smell like, so we will be delusionally blissful regardless of what we get.

  13. #13

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    Some of us don't know what the originals smell like, so we will be delusionally blissful regardless of what we get.
    You hope...

    But seriously, if an 'evil' corporation wasn't involved, I'd be behind you guys...

  14. #14
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Do you have a letter model?

  15. #15

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    i emailed them. just a respectful plea to bring back a fragrance that would sell out as soon as it hit the shelves, everywhere it was sold. id absolutely love this to happen. even if the reformulation was proctered and gambled.

  16. #16
    EDJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Gents, there is 0.1% probability that P&G will re-issue PPH after all these letters from us.
    And there is ZERO probability if we do not ask them for this.
    I am happy to involve Russian fragrance community in this compaign.
    I am new member here but as well as you I hope to see PPH in department stores...

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pennsyl-tuckey
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    You know what? I'll dance.

    I want Patou Pour Homme to be re-released (don't we all?). If we can write letters to bring the stuff back and keep it TRUE to the original formulation (Aramis style), then dammit, this could work.

    I mean, come on. P&G is based here in the U.S. Make the fragrances over here if you're that worried about the restrictions.

    Or, another company over here (perhaps a niche firm) can make an "homage" to PPH and Prive.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

    Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

    PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

  18. #18
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    I agree that P&G might cheapen them (like Old Spice), but at least they would be available for less than $1000 per bottle. I don't understand why it would be so difficult to replicate the original--Jean Patou is still in business and presumably still has the formulas given they were discontinued about ten years ago--we're not asking them to replicate some ghost from 80 years ago now. The materials available in 2000 are most likely still available today. Keep emailing and tell your friends, too.
    Last edited by bokaba; 11th March 2011 at 03:37 PM.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    I sent emails to both addresses. Hope this works! Thanks for your initiative.

  20. #20
    SmellChaser
    scentsitivity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I agree that P&G might cheapen them (like Old Spice), but at least they would be available for less than $1000 per bottle. I don't understand why it would be so difficult to replicate the original--Jean Patou is still in business and presumably still has the formulas given they were discontinued about ten years ago--we're not asking them to replicate some ghost from 80 years ago now. The materials available in 2010 are most likely still available today. Keep emailing and tell your friends, too.
    The question in my mind is not whether the materials exist, but whether they are banned and/or restricted. It would be neat to perform an analysis of Patou Pour Homme (i.e., chromatograph or however they can) and deterimine exactly what it is and how many of those materials are banned and/or restricted.

    I would also like to hear expert opinions of perfumers.

  21. #21
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dīAzur
    Posts
    2,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Thanks Bokaba,
    This is a great idea - consumer power often wins - and when not, we will at least have made P&G aware of what a gem they have.
    I am also trying things from another angle. I am currently in discussion with smaller producers of fragrances in Italy, with the idea of cloning PPH , (purely for private use). With the help of specialised equipment it is possible to get an exact copy. Re-creating exactly the original fragrance is not the problem. The problem is the cost factor involved when ordering such small scale amounts of fragrance from the manufacturer. I will only pursue my efforts further if I am assured from a company that they really can match the fragrance exactly, not just closely.......and of course....if my purse strings are long enough.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

  22. #22

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Of course it would have to be reformulated however, the accord is so good and unique, imho, that I'd rather have it slightly altered than forever keep asking and searching for 'something similar to PPH" and never finding anything, anyway. Or spend a grand on vintage PPH only to find out it hasn't aged very well.
    As for the PPH formula and exactly what ingredients are restricted/banned - I suggest contacting Osmothčque, they have the formula - osmotheque@wanadoo.fr . Inquiries sent via Patou web site are routed to P&G, these won't get to Duriez or people that work at JP Paris boutique.

  23. #23
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dīAzur
    Posts
    2,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I agree that P&G might cheapen them (like Old Spice), but at least they would be available for less than $1000 per bottle. I don't understand why it would be so difficult to replicate the original--Jean Patou is still in business and presumably still has the formulas given they were discontinued about ten years ago--we're not asking them to replicate some ghost from 80 years ago now. The materials available in 2000 are most likely still available today. Keep emailing and tell your friends, too.
    The problem /reality here is that when PPH came out it flopped disastrously. P&G will want a product that appeals to the masses
    - they will not want a flop. They may cleverly utilize the mythology of the old product, but Iīm almost certain that if PPH were relaunched it would be reincarnated as a totally different juice.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    I spent a year of my life and an embarrassing amount of money tracking down and ultimately finding a rare 90ml Patou Pour Homme - still sealed in the box. I feel like a damn monarch when I wear it to special events and feel a tremendous source of pride every time I see it on the shelf. Not sure how I feel about it being easy to source... that would ruin some of the mystique, no? Perhaps it should be difficult to obtain a piece of artwork so beautiful. After all, I think I'd vomit if I saw the thread title "Patou Pour Homme isn't all that - what's with the hype?" No, no... it should not be re-issued.

    OK I'm just kidding - I'd love to be able to have tons of it, but you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of having it re-issued. P&G isn't going to make a fragrance totally out of sync with modern tastes because they can't risk not making money on any release. It's way too much perfume for most people and key ingredients are likely verbotten (oakmoss) or unavailable (Mysore Sandalwood). It's nice to dream, though....

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks Bokaba,
    This is a great idea - consumer power often wins - and when not, we will at least have made P&G aware of what a gem they have.
    I am also trying things from another angle. I am currently in discussion with smaller producers of fragrances in Italy, with the idea of cloning PPH , (purely for private use). With the help of specialised equipment it is possible to get an exact copy. Re-creating exactly the original fragrance is not the problem. The problem is the cost factor involved when ordering such small scale amounts of fragrance from the manufacturer. I will only pursue my efforts further if I am assured from a company that they really can match the fragrance exactly, not just closely.......and of course....if my purse strings are long enough.
    Now THAT is dedication to a fragrance....

    Can you find out about remaking Parure while you're at it?

  26. #26

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Don't agree with David - if it was such a huge flop why did it remain in production for 20 years??

    nineXseven - there are tons of frags that are in limited production as exclusifs..(Chanels, Guerlains, Creeds..) so why not PPH? At least make it available at JP boutique (e.g. like Balafre at Lancome in Paris) so that people who really want it aren't forced to pay exorbitant prices for an old juice. It would be a nice gesture from P&G - it doesn't have to be a huge hit available in every dept. store. After all, JP has always been a small high end brand and it should remain such.

    Just stop being naysayers and keep sending those damn emails to P&G.

  27. #27

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    I applaud the efforts. I guess I am so lucky that I have a full bottle of Patou pour Homme in my collection.

  28. #28
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dīAzur
    Posts
    2,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Don't agree with David - if it was such a huge flop why did it remain in production for 20 years??

    nineXseven - there are tons of frags that are in limited production as exclusifs..(Chanels, Guerlains, Creeds..) so why not PPH? At least make it available at JP boutique (e.g. like Balafre at Lancome in Paris) so that people who really want it aren't forced to pay exorbitant prices for an old juice. It would be a nice gesture from P&G - it doesn't have to be a huge hit available in every dept. store. After all, JP has always been a small high end brand and it should remain such.

    Just stop being naysayers and keep sending those damn emails to P&G.
    It didnīt. They stopped production after 7 years.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

  29. #29

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Why would P&G bring back such a sales dud?

    Basenotes long asked for a relaunch of Aramis Havana; when it came back it flopped again and the hype was gone here.

  30. #30

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    They are listening...

    Got this response in a e-mail a minute ago:

    "Thanks for contacting us.

    Thanks so much for writing and sharing your interest in Patou Pour Homme and Patou Pour Homme Prive men's fragrances. I will certainly share your feedback with the rest of our team.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Jennifer
    Prestige Fragrance Team"

    So keep sending them in!

  31. #31

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    It didnīt. They stopped production after 7 years.
    Where did you get this info from? I've seen boxes of PPH that looked like they'd just left the factory and def. did not seem 20+ years old. P&G bought JP in September 2001, the old Basenotes website from 2001 had it listed as 'in production'. I can't find the old archive any more however, have a look at this: http://web.archive.org/web/200112082...continued.html Can you find PPH among those? There was plenty of PPH available on Ebay 5+ years ago.

    @Desmond Hume - why produce music, films, perfumes.., publish books.. that don't appeal to masses, right?
    Last edited by phibess; 11th March 2011 at 08:03 PM.

  32. #32

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    As much as I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, even if they were re-released, they'd be reformulated and cheapened (remember, we're talking about Proctor & Gamble here - wakey, wakey!).

    Then Basenoters will no longer be complaining about the discontinuation of these two 'classics' but, instead, b*tching about how they have both been butchered.

    Give up the ghost and move on, I say...
    Nobody wants to hear this, but you speak the truth my friend.

  33. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Don't agree with David - if it was such a huge flop why did it remain in production for 20 years??

    nineXseven - there are tons of frags that are in limited production as exclusifs..(Chanels, Guerlains, Creeds..) so why not PPH? At least make it available at JP boutique (e.g. like Balafre at Lancome in Paris) so that people who really want it aren't forced to pay exorbitant prices for an old juice. It would be a nice gesture from P&G - it doesn't have to be a huge hit available in every dept. store. After all, JP has always been a small high end brand and it should remain such.

    Just stop being naysayers and keep sending those damn emails to P&G.
    Balafre is available in Paris? Learn something new every day >>feeling stupid<<

    Hey don't get me wrong I'm not against it, but P&G isn't Chanel or Lancome.

    However I would not welcome a re-issue that was a bastardization of the original. Dior 'brought back' Diorling as a Paris exclusive and not only does it have nothing to do with the original Diorling, the reissue isn't even a good fragrance (in contrast to Diorama, which is both faithful to the original and a damn nice scent). It's an insult to what Diorling once was. If they can't do it right I wouldn't want it done at all.

    To be clear no one is "forced to pay" for anything. Purely optional. Just like any rarity and/or artwork it's a matter of supply and demand. PPH was hardly this expensive to source just two years ago when bottles could be plucked now and then for @$2-300. It's precisely threads like this one that create a mystique around the fragrance that drives up prices. In the last couple weeks I've read several posts with the sentiment "I've never tried PPH but I hear it's amazing and wish I could try it!" Once you have people who've never tried a perfume yearn for it the demand will increase, thus the prices will increase. If all the people who have known it was fantastic for years and years had just kept the secret to themselves instead of blabbing it on a message board then the prices probably wouldn't be so absurd right now. Sellers who have stashes of PPH have raised prices from $350 to $750 because they see the chatter and they aren't stupid. Sometimes things are best NOT shared with the rest of the world, ya know? I'm just glad I found my bottle last year. I'd say people should keep threads like this from perpetuating and avoid mentioning PPH in the future but the cat's out of the bag now so what's the point?

  34. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Where did you get this info from? I've seen boxes of PPH that looked like they'd just left the factory and def. did not seem 20+ years old. P&G bought JP in September 2001, the old Basenotes website from 2001 had it listed as 'in production'. I can't find the old archive any more however, have a look at this: http://web.archive.org/web/200112082...continued.html Can you find PPH among those? There was plenty of PPH available on Ebay 5+ years ago.

    @Desmond Hume - why produce music, films, perfumes.., publish books.. that don't appeal to masses, right?
    The BN database is not a definitive source of information, especially regarding what is in production. I don't the specific dates but PPH was not manufactured into the 90s. Where did I get this info from? From collecting perfume all this time....

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pennsyl-tuckey
    Posts
    1,749
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    If Aramis can re-release their old men's fragrances, along with Guerlain and Chanel, then why not Jean Patou?
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

    Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

    PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

  36. #36

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Balafre is available in Paris? Learn something new every day >>feeling stupid<<

    Hey don't get me wrong I'm not against it, but P&G isn't Chanel or Lancome.

    However I would not welcome a re-issue that was a bastardization of the original. Dior 'brought back' Diorling as a Paris exclusive and not only does it have nothing to do with the original Diorling, the reissue isn't even a good fragrance (in contrast to Diorama, which is both faithful to the original and a damn nice scent). It's an insult to what Diorling once was. If they can't do it right I wouldn't want it done at all.

    To be clear no one is "forced to pay" for anything. Purely optional. Just like any rarity and/or artwork it's a matter of supply and demand. PPH was hardly this expensive to source just two years ago when bottles could be plucked now and then for @$2-300. It's precisely threads like this one that create a mystique around the fragrance that drives up prices. In the last couple weeks I've read several posts with the sentiment "I've never tried PPH but I hear it's amazing and wish I could try it!" Once you have people who've never tried a perfume yearn for it the demand will increase, thus the prices will increase. If all the people who have known it was fantastic for years and years had just kept the secret to themselves instead of blabbing it on a message board then the prices probably wouldn't be so absurd right now. Sellers who have stashes of PPH have raised prices from $350 to $750 because they see the chatter and they aren't stupid. Sometimes things are best NOT shared with the rest of the world, ya know? I'm just glad I found my bottle last year. I'd say people should keep threads like this from perpetuating and avoid mentioning PPH in the future but the cat's out of the bag now so what's the point?
    I guess, we could go on like this forever... This was just a recent effort by two BNers to prompt/organize a small campaign in order to bring PPH back, it's the least thing anyone could do, send an email to P&G.. If you don't like the idea, fine but why come here and post all the negative comments - wouldn't sell, would be reformulated so f@ck it...not worth it etc. I don't refer to you personally...
    Sure, some frags have been butchered, I could give you a list of frags that're still pretty good and would rather have these than none at all - Bois des Iles, Diorella...etc.
    I don't think this thread creates any mystique in fact, tries the opposite. As for keeping the PPH secret to ourselves - that's a little absurd - this is a fragrance forum where ppl discuss frags and share their opinions. Cat's been out for years now and the prices have been rising for a long time.
    I agree, nobody forces anyone to pay $1000 for a frag unless someone wants it bad cos they love it and can't find it elsewhere. Ppl who never tried PPH can always buy samples from PC for couple of bucks instead of dropping a grand on a blind buy.
    Re Balafre - that was just an example. Dunno if it's still available at Lancome, a few years back it was, will find out next week in Paris. Same with PPH, I'll be visiting Osmotheque and will ask someone when it was discontinued.

  37. #37
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Before getting too negative here, let me say a couple of things. If you don't like idea, you don't have to send PG an email and should PPH and PPH Prive get relaunched, you also don't have to buy them--but I'm certain curiosity would get the better of you eventually. Please let's focus on the email campaign. We don't want to get this thread locked.

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    I would certainly buy bottles of each if they were close to the originals.

  39. #39
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I would certainly buy bottles of each if they were close to the originals.
    So Would I!

  40. #40

    AnthonyDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    2,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    If there is success at bringing these back, let's say as limited editions, even with a very hefty price tag - I think they would do well with the sales. I'd buy at least one bottle of each and some of the bath products as well. Cross my fingers and hope for the best.. stranger things have happened!

  41. #41

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Maybe someone can send a sample to P Diddy for his next release...

  42. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    I guess, we could go on like this forever... This was just a recent effort by two BNers to prompt/organize a small campaign in order to bring PPH back, it's the least thing anyone could do, send an email to P&G.. If you don't like the idea, fine but why come here and post all the negative comments - wouldn't sell, would be reformulated so f@ck it...not worth it etc. I don't refer to you personally...
    Sure, some frags have been butchered, I could give you a list of frags that're still pretty good and would rather have these than none at all - Bois des Iles, Diorella...etc.
    I don't think this thread creates any mystique in fact, tries the opposite. As for keeping the PPH secret to ourselves - that's a little absurd - this is a fragrance forum where ppl discuss frags and share their opinions. Cat's been out for years now and the prices have been rising for a long time.
    I agree, nobody forces anyone to pay $1000 for a frag unless someone wants it bad cos they love it and can't find it elsewhere. Ppl who never tried PPH can always buy samples from PC for couple of bucks instead of dropping a grand on a blind buy.
    Re Balafre - that was just an example. Dunno if it's still available at Lancome, a few years back it was, will find out next week in Paris. Same with PPH, I'll be visiting Osmotheque and will ask someone when it was discontinued.
    Like you said, this is a discussion board and I'm just presenting my ideas. If you read my posts I wasn't being negative, I'm not seeking or engaging in an argument that would lock the thread, and I'd certainly enjoy a re-issued PPH (in the event such a thing would occur), I'm simply being realistic and presenting my ideas for why such a re-issue is very unlikely. No hostility is intended or should be inferred.

    My realistic approach/opinion is based on what I perceive to be a difference of perspective: For those like myself for whom vintage perfume is their primary (or only) interest in fragrance the rarity, and expense of Patou Pour Homme is typical of vintage I seek to purchase. There are literally hundreds - thousands - of beautiful vintage fragrances that are no longer being produced. Sourcing them requires patience, perseverance, and when you find them to buy them may require hundreds - or thousands - of dollars. A perfume you're looking for may appear once a year (or less) on eBay and if you don't act immediately to buy you may have to wait another year (or more). This is for the most part what it is to collect rare vintage perfumes. Do you see vintage collectors writing letters to Patou to bring back Lasso? How about to Lancome to bring back Fleches? Or maybe we should write Guerlain to bring back Fol Arome? All beautiful, all rare, all absurdly hard to find and expensive to source. It just is what it is. When I read someone wants to organize an email campaign because the vintage perfume they enjoy is more rare and more expensive then they would like the vibe I get (and it's just the vibe, no offense intended) is that they're not used to the reality of vintage perfume collecting.

    If you really, really want PPH why not put the effort into finding a bottle? To find a PPH I spent months writing to vintage dealers and asking them to ask their vintage sources. I called mom & pops perfume shops across the planet, and I followed up on every lead. My efforts eventually yielded me a perfect, unused, rare 90ml bottle that wasn't cheap but nor was it anywhere near current prices. To me (and you can look at things differently), this is what you do if you want to enjoy a rare vintage perfume. For myself I like to put the effort into getting a bottle instead of begging the company to make me a new one.

    Now we can agree to disagree on whether we would an enjoy an inferior re-issue. Personally I think PPH is beautiful specifically because of the ingredients it employs and how it is constructed using those ingredients. If it were to be remade with inferior materials and is only an approximation of what it once was then precisely what is the point? It would no longer be the same beautiful perfume. Since you brought it up, the 2010 version of Diorella is atrocious and doesn't deserve the name Diorella (IMHO) and I'd absolutely prefer it have been discontinued then bastardized. Diorella IS the melon/chypre topnotes and mossy drydown - without these it's not Diorella anymore. They're just using the old name to sell a new perfume. If PPH didn't have the depth of ingredients it just wouldn't be PPH anymore, it would be something else with the same name. But hey, if you have a different opinion you're of course welcome to it, but personally I can't see the point in having an inferior re-issue.

    Before you accuse me of "being negative" my motivation writing this is not to be mean, but rather I'm just presenting my perspective.

  43. #43
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dīAzur
    Posts
    2,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    Where did you get this info from? I've seen boxes of PPH that looked like they'd just left the factory and def. did not seem 20+ years old. P&G bought JP in September 2001, the old Basenotes website from 2001 had it listed as 'in production'. I can't find the old archive any more however, have a look at this: http://web.archive.org/web/200112082...continued.html Can you find PPH among those? There was plenty of PPH available on Ebay 5+ years ago.

    I used to work in the Ka De We store, (Berlinīs equivalent to Harrods) We were told in 87 that production was finished, but there was still plenty of stock available. We could re- order stock until about 1990. Then we were told to mark everything down to half price to get it cleared. I know what you mean about the boxes looking very new. I recently discovered a small perfumery here in France that had some old stock, including the soap. The boxes were in perfect brand- new condition, despite its age. Despite our huge love for this fragrance it was not a financial success.....it was simply too good for the masses and perhaps a little conservative/ dated for its period of release, 1980.

    @Desmond Hume - why produce music, films, perfumes.., publish books.. that don't appeal to masses, right?
    ........SORRY, My reply has landed above, instead of underneath !
    .........also, basenotes often gets it wrong re. "In production" and "Discontinued".....there are many perfumes that basenotes lists as "In production"....but they have long been discontinued.
    Last edited by david; 12th March 2011 at 10:04 AM.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

  44. #44

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    When I read someone wants to organize an email campaign because the vintage perfume they enjoy is more rare and more expensive then they would like the vibe I get (and it's just the vibe, no offense intended) is that they're not used to the reality of vintage perfume collecting.
    This thread is not about vintage perfume "collecting".

    After investing a lot of energy, time and money you don't like the idea of a reissue. That's all.

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Though I would be genuinely interested in reissues, my interest would be tempered by price. For me, a price above about $2.50/ml is hard to swallow.

  46. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by Schweitzer View Post
    This thread is not about vintage perfume "collecting".

    After investing a lot of energy, time and money you don't like the idea of a reissue. That's all.
    If PPH was re-issued and it was the same perfume I'd be the first in line with a handful of cash to buy a half dozen bottles.

    With all due respect you've missed my point, and whether or not the intent of the thread was about one issue and I raised a related issue doesn't matter - that's what an exchange of ideas is. That notwithstanding this is very much about vintage perfume collecting. People want a vintage, discontinued fragrance without going through the steps collectors would normally go through. When I read the sentiment "people shouldn't have to spend 1000s to enjoy this fragrance" my reaction based on my experience is "that's exactly what they should have to do because that's how it works." Rather then put the requisite effort into acquiring a long-discontinued fragrance people want a shortcut and have the company hand it to them. Now THIS is off-topic but perhaps it's emblematic of modern society? If you can't find something in few clicks it's like it can't be found. The whole notion of picking up the phone and calling stores, asking questions, doing research, etc. seems to be a lost art. And even this so-called "campaign" to have P&G re-issue PPH. Instead of just saying "we want this please do it" how about presenting them with a marketing plan and business plan? How about doing the research into the ingredients and showing P&G it can be remade? Put effort in beyond posting a thread on a message board if it's really that important to you...or maybe that's just it and it's not that important? Again, no argument or offense intended - just calmly stating my POV.

  47. #47

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    No. This thread is not about vintage perfume "collecting". Vintage perfume collecting is what you do and a reissue would just affect your hobby.

    It's understandable that you don't like the idea - but that's your problem.

  48. #48
    EDJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    It's quite strange to write half page of arguments why we should not go for the re-issue campaign.
    Will it affect your assets valuation? Yes.
    But what if somebody will order bespoke PPH? Let say 5 liters?
    Should I hate him?

  49. #49
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dīAzur
    Posts
    2,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    There is another whole different problem here, with doing and wishing something like this.Itīs called the basenoters "state-of-mind".
    THIS IS MEANT AS NO OFFENCE TO ANY BASENOTER, but even if perfection were achieved and the identical fragrance with the identical components were reborn - many basenoters would say, "ITīS NOT THE SAME, ITīS NOT THE SAME" because thatīs the stubborn way many people think here. They would swear that black is white. In another PPH thread when I politely tried to help fellow basenoters by mentioning that there were a few VERY similar fragrances to PPH, (mentioning the names of these fragrances) - I got not one single word of thanks from anyone. In fact I got a kick in the teeth, even though at least one other basenoter, (Dry_Martini) was of the same opinion as myself. This basenoters "state-of-mind" is very destructive and often lacking in the simplest of manners.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

  50. #50
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dīAzur
    Posts
    2,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Once again, the above post was aimed at nobody involved in this thread. It was aimed at a much wider audience of members here.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

  51. #51

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    @nineXseven - If you're enjoy hunting the vintage frags then that's you choice and more power to yo. I went through the vintage perfume collecting esp with PPH in the recent years but I think your're missing the point here - while they're hundreds of vintage Mitsouko and other vintage perfumes on ebay, however, there seems to be very PPH bottles left 'round the globe and the price have become outrageous. Soon there will be no more of PPH, that's the whole pint -NO MORE. Then you can only dream about acquiring your next bottle of PPH, same as with Bois Noir. Let's just wait for the re-issue if it's ever going to happen and then judge. I don't see why an occasional batch available at Patou Paris would hurt anyone, it would certainly please a lot of people. If you don't like the idea of a re-issue, don't buy it, it's simple as that. I understands, the amount of oakmoss would have to be reduced, there are some substitutes though. Btw, Xerjoff is going to issue a frag with lotsa oaknoss as a limited issue. Mysore sangalwood can still be sources, look at Richwood by Xerjoff. I'd rather pay 300Euros for a fresh bottle of PPH than $1000 of an old juice that could have gone off. Trying to hunt down a bottle of PPH is becoming increasingly difficult as there seems to be very few left of them 'round the globe. Now, try to find Patou PH Prive EdT, i'll buy it from you.

    ..
    Last edited by phibess; 12th March 2011 at 06:20 PM.

  52. #52

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    There is another whole different problem here, with doing and wishing something like this.Itīs called the basenoters "state-of-mind".
    THIS IS MEANT AS NO OFFENCE TO ANY BASENOTER, but even if perfection were achieved and the identical fragrance with the identical components were reborn - many basenoters would say, "ITīS NOT THE SAME, ITīS NOT THE SAME" because thatīs the stubborn way many people think here. They would swear that black is white. In another PPH thread when I politely tried to help fellow basenoters by mentioning that there were a few VERY similar fragrances to PPH, (mentioning the names of these fragrances) - I got not one single word of thanks from anyone. In fact I got a kick in the teeth, even though at least one other basenoter, (Dry_Martini) was of the same opinion as myself. This basenoters "state-of-mind" is very destructive and often lacking in the simplest of manners.
    David , you have to understand that what you perceive as similar/identical/superior isn't necessarily shared by other people. I don't perceive PPH A/S as much being superior to EdT at all nor have I found Blend 30 a twin of PPH just because you or someone else wrote PPH = Blend 30 green.. There are other people that don't perceive thing as you do, it has nothing to do with being stubborn - just that they don't share you opinions/perceptions. I'll be the first to admit PPH = B30.

    Please keep sending those emails to P&G..
    Last edited by phibess; 12th March 2011 at 06:23 PM.

  53. #53
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dīAzur
    Posts
    2,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    David , you have to understand that what you perceive as similar/identical/superior isn't necessarily shared by other people. I don't perceive PPH A/S as much being superior to EdT at all nor have I found Blend 30 a twin of PPH just because you or someone else wrote PPH = Blend 30 green.. There are other people that don't perceive thing as you do, it has nothing to do with being stubborn - just that they don't share you opinions/perceptions. I'll be the first to admit PPH = B30.

    Please keep sending those emails to P&G..
    Thanks phibess,
    I love - and share your enthusiasm for this fragrance and I fully respect other members differing opinions. Itīs the lack of manners and overdose of arrogance I donīt like.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

  54. #54
    EDJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Sorry for off-top, but I just want to tell you Why some people ( particually me) are so crazy about PPH and would be do happy once it reissued.
    PPH was created in 1980. I was born in 1978 in Soviet Union (USSR) which has finally collapsed in 1991.
    So, all these years of production of PPH there was no any chance to buy PPH in our department stores in USSR.
    And as the result, the only way to find this perfect scent is buying it from international sources.
    "sharing information about PPH with another people is the way to increasing prices for this frag"
    Sounds quite egoistic at least
    The only frags which I remember in our soviet departments stores were Jean Couturier 12, Bogart and Spartacus.
    Balafre only in Moscow. Jules as well, only in Moscow.
    You guys, born in US or Europe, has the opportunity to smell all these fantastic scents all these years. We are not.
    So, that's why I am ready to pay 750 USD for 120 ml of PPH.
    And I would be more happy to pay less for new release, even it's reformulated.
    Derby was reformulated, Jules as well. So what?
    Significant changes in basenotes? I do not think so.
    Sorry, if I was rude, English is not my native language.
    Regards,
    Ed

  55. #55
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    I agree with David that there is a certain fictitious nostalgia here about vintage scents just like the fictitious nostalgia about the Founding Fathers and others of which politicians speak. It is idolizing a past that never was--just a past that people wished was. Anyway, let's keep the email campaign going and see where it gets us.

  56. #56
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rusk
    Posts
    6,513
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Many fragrances are reissued simply because people tell the companies they want them. There are a handful of people at Procter & Gamble who make the decisions and some of it will have to do with what a few people at Patou think. Jean Kerleo will probably even be asked what he thinks.

    It's very likely that it could be reissued if enough people let them know. It doesn't have to be long and complicated. Just let them know how much you like it.

  57. #57

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Many fragrances are reissued simply because people tell the companies they want them. There are a handful of people at Procter & Gamble who make the decisions and some of it will have to do with what a few people at Patou think. Jean Kerleo will probably even be asked what he thinks.

    It's very likely that it could be reissued if enough people let them know. It doesn't have to be long and complicated. Just let them know how much you like it.

    Hopefully, next week I will be able to ask Mr Kerleo re PPH, its composition, ingredients, possible reformulation (given the current restrictions) without compromising its key features/character, cost, year of discontinuations....etc. If you have any technical question re PPH, pm me - although I can't promise there will be enough time to ask him about all this.

  58. #58
    bokaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    Posts
    3,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Let's cross our fingers and hope this works. We've got to aim for Patou Pour Homme Prive as well, too.

  59. #59
    calero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Supposedly when you run the fragrance through a gas chromatograph it is very close to 100% accurate in decoding the formula. Somebody with PPH in their wardrobe needs to break in to IFF or Firmenich or whatever and borrow their equipment.

  60. #60
    ohhmygod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: *Campaign to Bring Back Patou Pour Homme and Pour Homme Prive*

    Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Like you said, this is a discussion board and I'm just presenting my ideas. If you read my posts I wasn't being negative, I'm not seeking or engaging in an argument that would lock the thread, and I'd certainly enjoy a re-issued PPH (in the event such a thing would occur), I'm simply being realistic and presenting my ideas for why such a re-issue is very unlikely. No hostility is intended or should be inferred.

    My realistic approach/opinion is based on what I perceive to be a difference of perspective: For those like myself for whom vintage perfume is their primary (or only) interest in fragrance the rarity, and expense of Patou Pour Homme is typical of vintage I seek to purchase. There are literally hundreds - thousands - of beautiful vintage fragrances that are no longer being produced. Sourcing them requires patience, perseverance, and when you find them to buy them may require hundreds - or thousands - of dollars. A perfume you're looking for may appear once a year (or less) on eBay and if you don't act immediately to buy you may have to wait another year (or more). This is for the most part what it is to collect rare vintage perfumes. Do you see vintage collectors writing letters to Patou to bring back Lasso? How about to Lancome to bring back Fleches? Or maybe we should write Guerlain to bring back Fol Arome? All beautiful, all rare, all absurdly hard to find and expensive to source. It just is what it is. When I read someone wants to organize an email campaign because the vintage perfume they enjoy is more rare and more expensive then they would like the vibe I get (and it's just the vibe, no offense intended) is that they're not used to the reality of vintage perfume collecting.

    If you really, really want PPH why not put the effort into finding a bottle? To find a PPH I spent months writing to vintage dealers and asking them to ask their vintage sources. I called mom & pops perfume shops across the planet, and I followed up on every lead. My efforts eventually yielded me a perfect, unused, rare 90ml bottle that wasn't cheap but nor was it anywhere near current prices. To me (and you can look at things differently), this is what you do if you want to enjoy a rare vintage perfume. For myself I like to put the effort into getting a bottle instead of begging the company to make me a new one.

    Now we can agree to disagree on whether we would an enjoy an inferior re-issue. Personally I think PPH is beautiful specifically because of the ingredients it employs and how it is constructed using those ingredients. If it were to be remade with inferior materials and is only an approximation of what it once was then precisely what is the point? It would no longer be the same beautiful perfume. Since you brought it up, the 2010 version of Diorella is atrocious and doesn't deserve the name Diorella (IMHO) and I'd absolutely prefer it have been discontinued then bastardized. Diorella IS the melon/chypre topnotes and mossy drydown - without these it's not Diorella anymore. They're just using the old name to sell a new perfume. If PPH didn't have the depth of ingredients it just wouldn't be PPH anymore, it would be something else with the same name. But hey, if you have a different opinion you're of course welcome to it, but personally I can't see the point in having an inferior re-issue.

    Before you accuse me of "being negative" my motivation writing this is not to be mean, but rather I'm just presenting my perspective.
    Just get the hell out of here mate =]

    @OP: emails sent. But no reply yet :-s Hopefully they will bring back Patou with minimal changes !!!
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

    "No Pain, No Gain"

Similar Threads

  1. Patou pour homme and Patou pour homme Prive
    By JonB in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 18th January 2011, 12:14 AM
  2. Campaign to bring Rochas Macassar and Patou Pour Homme back!
    By AZsmells in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 4th December 2009, 12:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •