Code of Conduct

Default I think I just overdose my sense of smell with oud oil...WOW!!!

Ok, I received 4 samples of oud oil from Agar Aura, and I wanted to do 1 at a time, but then I can't resist...I just had to sample all of them tonight... I think my sense of smell just got shot from overdosing it with all these great and very potent fine oil....

Cambodian Calambac - Very earthy, dark, animalic, raw, and woody smell...smell similar to Epic Men, but like 10x times stronger and very smooth... if the color black have a scent, this would be it....I like this one...

Nippon Koh - Not as animalic and raw like the Calambac, but I can smell a similarity between Calambac and Nippon Koh. It's more spicy....woody, dry and somewhat sweeter than Calambac...also have the menthol note...I like this one...

Areej Al-Mulook - This one smell like Indian spices...exactly like how it would smell like when you walk into an Indian spice store...a hint of that band-aid medicinal scent..but very luxurious, rich and spicy...this scent is like a version of Jubilation XXV on steroid. I have never been inside the Taj Mahal...but I can imagine this is the scent inside the Taj Mahal...I like this one...

Oud Malinau - Ok this one is the one I have a hard time with...very green, and sharp... straight to the brain... dry and earthy..earthy as in smelling like soil... kind of like an Encre Noire smell... I wonder if there is vetiver in this oil? This one is ok...I prefer the other 3 over this one....
    Last edited by change1; 11th March 2011 at 03:31 AM.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: I think I just overdose my sense of smell with oud oil...WOW!!!

Nice to read your experiences. I really like Oud Malinau. Oud oils tend to grow on you and what you may not liek at first you may love later. Just to note that Nippon Koh and Areej Al-Mulook are not pure oud oils. They are "mukhallats" meaning pure oud mixed with other oils.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Cool, thanks for the low down on these, man. I've seen those oils on the Agar Aura website, but sad to say I don't have the dosh to pick up samples. I can't help but asking -- did you get the psychoactive effects or whatever you were looking for off of these?

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Cool, thanks for the low down on these, man. I've seen those oils on the Agar Aura website, but sad to say I don't have the dosh to pick up samples. I can't help but asking -- did you get the psychoactive effects or whatever you were looking for off of these?
    No, I did not get a psychoactive effect at all...it did calm my mind and I can breathe better...kind of a weird feeling I have to say... but yeah it's not like the psychoactive effects like what I experienced in college when I took a few hit from the bong pipe...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Thanks for the descriptions - I should try agaraura too at some point. It sounds like the first one is a traditional aged oud, dry and lacking most of the sweet and medicinal aspects of oud. The other two, as AZsmell was saying, good mukhallat. And the third one quite strange, but intriguing ...

cacio

Agar Aura deserves lots of appreciation for the labor of love that Taha (a fellow basenoter) has assembled to present his collection of rare and fine oud oils for sale to the public. In a couple of short years he has provided us with a collection of top quality ouds and mukhallats. His Borneo, Cambodian and now his new Indian oud (Purana) are equal to the very best on the market. I own several of his oils and am very happy with each and highly recommend them. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Agar Aura deserves lots of appreciation for the labor of love that Taha (a fellow basenoter) has assembled to present his collection of rare and fine oud oils for sale to the public. In a couple of short years he has provided us with a collection of top quality ouds and mukhallats. His Borneo, Cambodian and now his new Indian oud (Purana) are equal to the very best on the market. I own several of his oils and am very happy with each and highly recommend them. Well done!
    Thanks to agar aura. It gave me a taste of what each type and style of oud smells like.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

As a point of disclosure, I have no relation to and I am not affiliated with Agar Aura. So my praise of their products is purely an objective observation. Like many others here on Basenotes I started dabling in the world of oud oils, about seven years ago by tiptoeing into this interesting world with purchases with Oriscent and almost every other online vendor of pure ouds that I could find. I have tried bottles of ouds that are rare and also new and more risky. I have also tried a few mukhallats when I found favorible reviews of them. Agar Aura has done an amazing job of developing ouds that keep improving in quality with every introduction until they are equal to ouds costing twice as much from the more established vendors.

I have to add that as impressed as I am with Agar Aura's pure ouds, I am almost more surprised to find out how good his mukhallats are. For a new company I think the mukhallats that Taha has created are much better than those of many other well established companies. This may be because Taha brings with him a much more western sensibility about what smells good in a perfume. He does use traditional ingredients but the resulting oils smell much more in tune with what westerners will be attracted to, in my opinion. The florals do not run wild with regional note combinations that can only be appreciated if you grow up in a particular culture. The animalic and barnyard notes are balanced out so they are a contribution and not an objection. I think the best buys at AgarAura are actually their mukhallats and lower priced blends that are surprisingly well tuned. Two I have tried that I like quite a bit are Mukhallat Naqi and Areej Al-Mulook. Both are around $100 which is very reasonably priced for the quality. His Crassna Cocktail is a real bargain at $165 for a lively and all purpose oud oil. Their higher priced oils are very good - actually top of class, but don't miss out on the lower priced bargains.

I know that many other basenoters especially those from the Oud Group (Azsmells, Igor01, Dreadmahawkus, etc) have much more experience than I with ouds, mukhallats and with AgarAura but it is sometimes good to hear confirmation from an outsider (me) every now and then.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 11th March 2011 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    As a point of disclosure, I have no relation to and I am not affiliated with Agar Aura. So my praise of their products is purely an objective observation. Like many others here on Basenotes I started dabling in the world of oud oils, about seven years ago by tiptoeing into this interesting world with purchases with Oriscent and almost every other online vendor of pure ouds that I could find. I have tried bottles of ouds that are rare and also new and more risky. I have also tried a few mukhallats when I found favorible reviews of them. Agar Aura has done an amazing job of developing ouds that keep improving in quality with every introduction until they are equal to ouds costing twice as much from the more established vendors.

I have to add that as impressed as I am with Agar Aura's pure ouds, I am almost more surprised to find out how good his mukhallats are. For a new company I think the mukhallats that Taha has created are much better than those of many other well established companies. This may be because Taha brings with him a much more western sensibility about what smells good in a perfume. He does use traditional ingredients but the resulting oils smell much more in tune with what westerners will be attracted to, in my opinion. The florals do not run wild with regional note combinations that can only be appreciated if you grow up in a particular culture. The animalic and barnyard notes are balanced out so they are a contribution and not an objection. I think the best buys at AgarAura are actually their mukhallats and lower priced blends that are surprisingly well tuned. Two I have tried that I like quite a bit are Mukhallat Naqi and Areej Al-Mulook. Both are around $100 which is very reasonably priced for the quality. His Crassna Cocktail is a real bargain at $165 for a lively and all purpose oud oil. Their higher priced oils are very good - actually top of class, but don't miss out on the lower priced bargains.

I know that many other basenoters especially those from the Oud Group (Azsmells, Igor01, Dreadmahawkus, etc) have much more experience than I with ouds, mukhallats and with AgarAura but it is sometimes good to hear confirmation from an outsider (me) every now and then.
    I have only purchased from Agar Aura, so I wouldn't know what the other online's oud smells like. I'm planning to buy from the other on-line sites depending if they sell in small quantity that I can afford. So based on your post above, these places are like chemistry lab mixing and blending oud oils?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    No, I did not get a psychoactive effect at all...it did calm my mind and I can breathe better...kind of a weird feeling I have to say... but yeah it's not like the psychoactive effects like what I experienced in college when I took a few hit from the bong pipe...
    Ah, not to be crude - this is mere reportage - but in parts of Bahrain it is rumoured that oud mixed with a certain inexpensive cologne is an aphrodisiacal elixir. The precise phrase I heard was, "This gaharu-mix is said to cure the prongs of extremely aged men close to death. And younger men may erect from it despite heavy blood loss suffered from wounds."

Were that urban legend true (it is not), think what you risked with an overdose!

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I have only purchased from Agar Aura, so I wouldn't know what the other online's oud smells like. I'm planning to buy from the other on-line sites depending if they sell in small quantity that I can afford. So based on your post above, these places are like chemistry lab mixing and blending oud oils?
    Actually the only mixing and blending is with the mukhallats - thats what a mukhallat is - a blend of oils to create a fragrance. Most mukhallats contain a newly created blend of any combination of floral essences, essential oils, vetiver, amber, rose, saffron, oud oils, musk etc. - all to create a unique blending of oils.

Pure ouds are not derived by mixing various things into the oil fragrance. The oud is a unique oil that is distilled and aged from one particular tree or growth of trees to obtain the essential oil unique to those trees. To be a pure oud there is not supposed to be any mixing and formulating with this oil but it should be a pure essence distilled from that particular growth of trees. The various qualities of different ouds are attributed to the natural environments that are native to the growth area of these trees that produce the agarwood oil. The wood from Borneo is different from China or India or Cambodia etc and they all have characteristics that are native to their origins. Many of these oils are aged and distilled for many years to achieve the desired final product.