Code of Conduct

Default Niches versus designers: the loudness factor OR Why can't I smell niches as easily

I'm a newbie, so please be gentle with me. I'm making an observation and asking questions based on my experiences so far. I tried a sample of S.L. Arabie (it was in a vial and I rubbed it on my two wrists and even dabbed a bit in my beard). It's a great scent, but after a minute, I couldn't smell it. Friends said when they were close to me, they got a whiff of it and loved it.

The biggest reason (and I admit, it's a selfish one) I wear fragrances is *I* like smelling them on myself. Would the fact I daubed it on versus using a sprayer, and I'd have to use 4 or 5 squirts to get the impact where I can smell it? When I tried A*men, I had a small decanter with a pump, and only used 2 squirts of it, and I smelled it for hours.

When I went to Macy's last night, the one thing I noticed, a good deal of their stuff, when you spray it, there's a "loudness" or "brashness" to it, if that makes any sense? What is going on there (it's not synthetic versus natural either, because a lot of the niche houses are using synthetic materials).

I purchased a bottle of S.L. Chergui, and haven't opened it yet, since I'm working my way through the samples still, but I worry I spent a lot of money for something I won't be able to smell on my own skin. :/

Any ideas or thoughts? I appreciate it! Thanks

Default Re: Niches versus designers: the loudness factor OR Why can't I smell niches as easily

lol.... Arabie - believe me was still on you in a big way! What is common fault is that it sounds like you dabbed it in an area where your nose was permanently whiffing it. You sound like you experienced "nose fatigue'. Quite a common syndrome. In order to make my point dab Arabie on your wrists and once behind on the back of your neck. Check out to see if that works for you. Keep it away from your beard and away from directly under your nostrils.
    Enjoy Arabie - Great Choice so it Chergui!

Default Re: Niches versus designers: the loudness factor OR Why can't I smell niches as easily

Not always the case. There are niche that are ridiculously strong and long lasting, and there are designer frags that are sophisticated and polite.

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    lol.... Arabie - believe me was still on you in a big way! What is common fault is that it sounds like you dabbed it in an area where your nose was permanently whiffing it. You sound like you experienced "nose fatigue'. Quite a common syndrome. In order to make my point dab Arabie on your wrists and once behind on the back of your neck. Check out to see if that works for you. Keep it away from your beard and away from directly under your nostrils.
    Enjoy Arabie - Great Choice so it Chergui!
    Yeah, I saw reviews here about Arabie that complained about it smelling like fruitcake-- and that's EXACTLY what it smells like, but I LIKE fruitcake, so it was a win-win for me. What I don't understand-- I don't change anything on how I wear my fragrances: Givinchy or C.K. Obsession -- I smell them for hours on myself. I guess it's just how those are made. I will try using Arabie on my neck instead and see what happens.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Try a couple of Tauers and watch this notion crumble and die. I'm still convinced that a bit of Rose Chyprée lies buried under the top layer of my skin, and I tested it in December.

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Try a couple of Tauers and watch this notion crumble and die. I'm still convinced that a bit of Rose Chyprée lies buried under the top layer of my skin, and I tested it in December.
    I'd love to try to sample that here somewhere in NYC, I asked Aedes de Venustas if they carry that line, but apparently they don't now, even though they used to.

Hm, there must be somewhere else in NYC to sample Tauer. I got my sample from LuckyScent but I'm in Canada. Perhaps one of the classier Nordstrom's or Barney's?

As a newb, the worst thing you can do is to dab the wrist and then keep smelling it up close. If you want olfactory fatigue, this is the way to get it easily. I will sometimes smell up close to try and identify all the notes, but then you have to avoid smelling it for several minutes.

Try a couple of Tauers and watch this notion crumble and die.
    Or Montales.

Or By Kilian... Cruel intentions came back the next evening, after 2 showers and an application of Terre d'Hermes that day. The TdH washed away after the shower, a little while later I thought I smelled the drydown from CI I applied the day before... and sure enough it was still on my wrist when I smelled it up close. Rose Oud survived on a shirt through a cycle of the washing machine. I applied it on my chest, let it dry, then put my shirt on.... it wasn't even a direct application.

As kcc and bigsly said, olfactory fatigue sets in pretty quickly - so don't keep smelling. Also, you should experiment with different way of spraying, eg on clothes, different body parts etc. For instance, I wear suits and spray on my armpit and on the shirt's armpit. This way you get a whiff all day when you smell under your suit, but usually, you're not getting fatigue or shocking your coworkers. I find the SL I have of adequate sillage and longevity, but I agree that they are not as strong as certain mainstream ones.

And, as others were saying, you *can* find some niche perfumes with nuclear sillage. In addition to those mentioned, try Le Labo Patchoulli and Oud (Soho and Barney's), Amouage Gold man and others (Bergdorf Goodman), Bandit, Rien ELdO (Henri Bendel), among others. And Nasomatto (Barneys. But I don't really recommend this).

cacio

Hi George Philipp!!!

Some popular fragrances do use a lot of synthetic materials in their scents that can 'amplify' these smells and have long lasting effects. Some niche - perhaps a lot- can have natural materials. Like becoming used to hearing 'synthetically' produced music, I wonder if our noses become used to this and find natural smells muted? (I feel another thread coming on).

In any case, olfactory fatigue can be a big cause and while you feel it's not there people around you can still smell it.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Open that bottle of Chergui already!

Try Montale's Black Aoud and see if you think its light lololol

On the other hand, Dior's Homme is really elegant =]
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"