Code of Conduct

Default Montale Red Vetyver vs. Terre D'Hermes: Is it possible to love the one, but not the other?

I am considering blind buying Montale's Red Vetyver ( and perhaps Blue Amber.) I know, I know, you should always sample first, but I honestly find buying a sample is really never enough for me to experience a full wearing and deciding whether I truly love a fragrance. That being said, I am excited about the notes and what I've read about Red Vetyver, with one exception; it's supposed similarity to Terre D'Hermes. I have owned TdH edt and currently own the parfum edition, and I really don't care for it. So my question to those that have experienced both is, is it possible for me to fall in love with Red Vetyver if TdH does nothing for me?

Default Re: Montale Red Vetyver vs. Terre D'Hermes: Is it possible to love the one, but not the other?

if that's the case, you'd be taking a big risk in not sampling first........just my take on it!!

Default Re: Montale Red Vetyver vs. Terre D'Hermes: Is it possible to love the one, but not the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_SHAVER View Post
    if that's the case, you'd be taking a big risk in not sampling first........just my take on it!!
    This.

Order from Montale something you already know and want (if you do) and get the Red V as your 10mL sample.

I just got the Red V extra concentration and LOVE it. IMHO the drydown is much better than TdH and not really that similar.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

The dry down of TdH is almost entirely Iso E Super (it's 55% by weight of parfum components), so if Montale is also using this cheap cedraic/woodsy compound, then perhaps that's what has irked you? I'd imagine that Montale likely uses a true cedarwood EO or hi-fi synth. The vetiver probably gives a smokier, nuttier edge to it. I notice a sweetness almost like rose in TdH, especially the Parfum. I don't think that there's in Red Vetyver.

It'd be better if you explained what exactly about TdH you dislike. I personally enjoy it, as it's relatively cheap, long lasting, and doesn't cause me a headache. It's not terribly complex and the development is done after 4 hours or so. Parfum was a good move on your part as it's got more of the things that distinguish it from just another Iso E re-work.

They are so much alike to ME other than TDH is stronger and project more. That I sold RV and kept the other.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chemistwithanose View Post
    It'd be better if you explained what exactly about TdH you dislike.
    If I were to compare fragrance with music. TdH and RdV feel like the same piece played by different instruments, or a comparison between an MP3 and a FLAC. Different depth, different texture. If you are a fan of Jean Claude Elena style you probably won't like RV.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

I love Red Vetyver and TDH does nothing for me. Yes it's possible to love one and not the other. I don't smell any simalarities.

Of course it's possible. Actually I personally love both and have both.

I just remembered that Cereus no. 11 is also similar to TdH. Does Red Vetyver share similarites with Cereus 11, as I do prefer that to the TdH.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamchaser View Post
    I just remembered that Cereus no. 11 is also similar to TdH. Does Red Vetyver share similarites with Cereus 11, as I do prefer that to the TdH.
    Err, that's kinda a stretch? Cereus 11 is a woody icy-anise scent. I have both and can't really find the tie.

I have the parfum TdH and enjoy it well enough and used to have the EDT. I also have Red Vetyver and find it different enough that you might enjoy one if the other doesn't excite you.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I have TdH Parfum and EDT and just got a sample of Red Vetiver. I don't find them all that similar, and I really like them both.