Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question My friend liked Tigress- What is close to that now?

My good friend needs a new perfume. She is accustomed to shopping in department stores although I can help her find more niche things. She mentioned she used to love Tigress. What do you think is a modern, more sophisticated version of Tigress I could show to her?

Default Re: My friend liked Tigress- What is close to that now?

I've always wanted to try Tigress, but never really splurged on a sample or blind buy. Apparently, there were different vintages but all were in one concentration (like Youth Dew's "Perfume Spray"); I'm not sure though. Reading the reviews, it seems to be a warm floriental, heavy on sandalwood and amber. Sounds delicious! I would love to hear reviews and similarities to it too! Thank you for bringing it up!

I used to love Tigress and Woodhue.
    They sell versions of both at Vermont Country Store. They are knockoffs and far inferior to the originals, but they have some similar aroma characteristics.
    On eBay there are a number of vintage bottles.
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
    Really, the only current perfume that reminds me of that genre is maybe Coty Wild Musk.

Perhaps Avon has a smell-alike of Tigress.

They still carry some of the old scents from their vintage line from the 1960s and 1970s.

Perhaps a search of similar notes will turn something up?
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Oh I wore Tigress in the 70s as a teenager. With vintage on ebay you cannot be sure they have not turned so if a gift I would be careful.

I am thinking Estee Lauder Cinnabar, not exact by a long shot but does have that hot spicy blast of old Tigress.
    DONNA

Hi Kumquat,

I've just applied some vintage Tigress parfum from my cute little "Fabergette" looks-like-a-rollerball-but-isn't applicator bottle and I'm smelling the following:

spiciness with a dominant clove note
    musk
    amber
    oakmoss/tonka creaminess

Fragrantica describes it as an "oriental fougere with aldehyde, citrus, floral and spicy notes, oak moss, vanilla and amber" then adds rose, green notes and tonka to the notes list.

I'm familiar with the frags others have suggested (EL Youth Dew, Cinnabar, Coty Wild Musk) but I don't think that Tigress smells like them. Because of the dominance of clove, the only similar fragrances I can compare it to are my vintage Coup de Fouet (Caron) and Fendi's Asja.

Actually, now that it's drying down, the clove-iness is turning into a lovely carnation, and it's smelling a bit like Bellodgia! Just looked that up on Fragrantica and there are lots of notes in common.

I hope that was of help to you :-)

Nanadebary Bronze.

Blog Entries

What do you all think about Samsara?
    Here are the notes;

Top notes: Bergamot, lemon, green note, peach, tarragon

Heart notes: Jasmine, rose, ylang-ylang, orris, carnation

Base notes: Sandalwood, vanilla, benzoin, amber, musk, tonka

She did say she doesn't care for vanillic perfumes. Do you think this would be a deal-breaker?

Unforunately the answer is probably-yes. Samsara comes across as mostly vanilla on me.

Blog Entries

Ok, I'm having a brain wave, now. How about this?

Or this?

I like the Asja idea. I happen to have a bottle I can give her, but after that, I don't think you can get it anymore can you? I have a sample of the Nadaberry Bronze, too, so I can try that one. Thanks for that idea!
    I was also thinking possibly; Chinatown? Maybe even Tabac Blond but it is kind of $$ and difficult to get.
    Last edited by kumquat; 13th March 2011 at 07:11 PM.

I like the Asja idea best. Carnation and clove. You're right, it's discontinued, but there's still plenty of it at outlet stores. Chinatown is gorgeous (and current) but it has a sweet thickness that was never present in Tigress.

I've read on POL that CC No. 1 for Women is extremely similar to Tigress and several of the ladies there, including Helg of Perfume Shrine, have confirmed that. Shame about the price though...

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I've read on POL that CC No. 1 for Women is extremely similar to Tigress and several of the ladies there, including Helg of Perfume Shrine, have confirmed that. Shame about the price though...
    Cheaper to just buy up some of the vintage Tigress that's still floating about. Plenty out there in the bay!

Blog Entries

I'd sort of like to turn her on to something new. Plus, I'm not keen on getting an 'old' smelling bottle.
    I've been thinking about some others;
    SL-Bois Oriental
    Etro-Ambra
    PGenerale-L'Ombre Fauve

Yes, I do understand. I like your idea of the SL Bois Oriental (not that I've had the pleasure of smelling the other two you listed). Recently a friend of mind bought a bell jar of BO (initials don't sound promising!) and we both agreed that it was the most wearable of the Bois series.

Blog Entries

Yes, I'm leaning toward giving her a decant of BO to start with at least. Thanks for all your input everyone. I think I remember this scent from years ago, but I haven't smelled it lately.

Bois Oriental is beautiful. Might do the trick. That or Asja.
    BTW, CC No. 1, for those of you who are challenged by abbreviations like I am, is Clive Christian. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    Bois Oriental is beautiful. Might do the trick. That or Asja.
    BTW, CC No. 1, for those of you who are challenged by abbreviations like I am, is Clive Christian. Correct?
    Yes purplebird7. That's what I meant

Blog Entries

I used to wear Tigress in the early 1970s. Now that was a perfume! But when I bought a bottle from the 1980s it was a tame kitty version, lots of purr but little growl. Boring.

The fake fur cap on the original formulation is different than the fake fur on the 1980s version. The 1980s one has distinct black outlines separating the orange from the white parts of the "fur". The earlier version does not have these distinct outlines. They are not hard to tell apart.

I wore Tigress. It's a cheerfully cheap Chergui. Chergui has more tobacco, but Chergui reminds me of the original Tigress. Thank you for that question. Every time I wore Chergui, I had deja-vous, but I could not figure out WHY!

Avon's Timeless is an inexpensive but nice one ,close to Tigress..
    Another one inexpensive is Tentation by Paloma Picasso...Tentations is a floral oriental female fragrance designed by Max Gavarry and Sophia Grojsman, launched in 1996. The composition opens with a breeze of bergamot, pepper, peach, orange blossom, Vodka aroma and grape blossom, followed by the heart of carnation, rose, cinnamon, orchid, clove and jasmine, to the base of sensuous musk, Tonka, benzoin, sandalwood, incense, Miro, labdanum and cedar.

Samsara sounds great ,too.

Serge Lutens:Chergui is more of tobacco but Feminite De Bois is a nice choice,too!!!
    Hope i helped a bit ..Good Luck
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

There was only one "Tigress" Brut was the manufacture, I wore Tigress as it was my older sister's, they were still selling this in the drugs store in the 80's on the west coast of the United States. When they took it off the market, I wrote to Brut, and ask them to bring it back on the market. It was a wonderful scent, very sexy - as I said there hasn't been anything ever like it!

Wow, what memories Tigress brings back! When I was a child I would take all of our books of S&H green stamps to buy a trio of Tigress, Woodhue & Flambeau for my sister at Christmas. (some of you will know what I'm talking about )

Kumquat, I don't know if you're working on a limited time-frame, but I'd be happy to send you a sample of the Ferre 20 for your friend to test. Let me know, ok?

According to this, maybe Bois des Iles!!
    http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...me-review.html
    Last edited by Genie Jeanie; 31st August 2012 at 03:52 AM.

Tigress is quite an original scent, its got the Faberge house DNA you feel in "BRUT" that I've never really felt anyone has come close to copying

however, I would suggest that maybe the Coco lineage (original, Mmlle, Noir) from Chanel could be the closest to replacing that "x factor" in Tigress. The Chanels are indeed much less sweet, but I think they come closest to getting that metallic, ever so slightly sour, cold floral element that creates the signature paradox also present in Tigress. As well as the neroli and candied top, clove, and the resinous base.

I think to try and replace Tigress, you've got to go more for copying the concept than the particular notes, because its that unique-ness in implementation, rather than the sum of its parts that makes it what it is.

Blog Entries

I was trying to get my friend interested in something new. It may be a hopeless case. I do have Ferre already. Thanks, Genie!

Quote Originally Posted by Versailles View Post
    Tigress is quite an original scent, its got the Faberge house DNA you feel in "BRUT" that I've never really felt anyone has come close to copying

however, I would suggest that maybe the Coco lineage (original, Mmlle, Noir) from Chanel could be the closest to replacing that "x factor" in Tigress. The Chanels are indeed much less sweet, but I think they come closest to getting that metallic, ever so slightly sour, cold floral element that creates the signature paradox also present in Tigress. As well as the neroli and candied top, clove, and the resinous base.

I think to try and replace Tigress, you've got to go more for copying the concept than the particular notes, because its that unique-ness in implementation, rather than the sum of its parts that makes it what it is.
    Thanks for the update, sounds wonderful, I will try the Coco lineage if (I have always like Coco)

I always thought Fendi Asja was similar to Coco Chanel, so if you'd like to suggest something she could easily try at a mall, you might try that.

Blog Entries

Samsara! I'll bet she'd like that, thank you , Sophi. If I see her , I'll let her try some of mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kumquat, I don't think there is anything that really compares to the original Tigress. I used to wear the bath oil, as it was longer lasting and had deeper notes. I've been buying vintage from Ebay. There is something in those older formulations that can't be touched today. Tigress Musk does smell a bit like Coty Wild Musk once it settles into your skin. It is sweeter, I think, and I like it better. I've never smelled anything that could compare to the vintage Tigress, but am interested in what others have suggested here. I also use Hope bath oil, which is still in production. It reminds me of Tigress, but more peppery.
    Last edited by Yumm; 29th May 2014 at 06:14 PM.