Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Slumberhouse

Default Re: Slumberhouse

I'll tell you all, I really wish I had Ore. Someone messaged me about it yesterday saying they have a bottle, but only want to swap it and I don't have anything to offer. I can't seem to ever find it or get my hands on it, so I suppose I'm doomed to live without it until Josh can get the expensive materials to make it again.

Also, I'll have to give Baque another play. I thought it was too much like Sova, but others are saying differently.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Do give Baque another play, for sure. It really is Sova minus the Beeswax and anamalic note and added tobacco with a hint of whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I'll tell you all, I really wish I had Ore. Someone messaged me about it yesterday saying they have a bottle, but only want to swap it and I don't have anything to offer. I can't seem to ever find it or get my hands on it, so I suppose I'm doomed to live without it until Josh can get the expensive materials to make it again.

Also, I'll have to give Baque another play. I thought it was too much like Sova, but others are saying differently.

So thrilled - my bottles of P&O, Jeke and Sova arrived today.
    I'm also happy that, contrary to what I'd read on Josh's blog, they're being shipped with lids.
    So now I wait, hoping that Baque is rereleased to become my sixth bottle.....

It's probably also worth reiterating that he is planning on making a few more "wearable" fragrances in the future for spring and summer. I'd think those that can't wear anything from the house would benefit from checking those out when they come to the surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Sounds like the 'never intended for mass appeal' bit has gone out the window. Or at least been diluted (along with the fragrances!). That's commercial reality for you.
    I would be very surprised if "wearable" is the goal or that commercial reality is driving the batch of scents that Octavarium describes. Slumberhouse has quite a long history of exploring different styles (lighter, floral, etc.) in limited batches and I would guess we are about to see another similar offshoot. The Eki / Flou / Sana / Iska family of scents from last summer was well off the typical Slumberhouse path but hardly commercial and definitely NOT an attempt to be "wearable" in a mainstream way. Although that word is so variable depending on the wearer, and I would even throw out a guess that Josh finds all his scents "wearable."

So maybe let's not write them off when they've only been announced by Octavarium, Grrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    I don't know if I would agree. If we go by some simple math, that is due to the higher quality of Slumberhouse scents you only need 1 to a generally (lets say) accepted 3 sprays of a designer fragrance, we can cut the price of Slumberhouse ($125) by two thirds leaving us with $41.6 for 1oz or 30ml of fragrance. Kouros, your example in the next paragraph, goes for around $40-50 (depending on where you look) for 100ml. Keeping the prices where they are, I can buy some 3 Kouros, 300ml, for the price of one 30ml Slumberhouse Fragrance. What will last longer? And many, if not most, designer fragrances can be found in the $40-50 price range. I could even go with a comparison to Creed, a house I have tried numerous times and do not own a single bottle of today (sold my SMW; although I do have some decants of Aventus and VIW, which I enjoy). And I would say that I'd rather buy a Creed creation than Slumberhouse because I see them as more wearable. That is, if I had a Slumberhouse bottle and one from Creed, the latter would be used a lot more often than the former on a day-to-day basis. But, the real question is, are there fragrances worth the money Slumberhouse is asking? The answer is, yes. Tom Ford's Private Blend is a perfect example and I can only stand two of the available offerings today (and own both, although I would also say I only find one to be worth its pricetag and only just).
    There are many ways to slice up value. For starters, if you don't like the scent, you can just skip all the math right at the beginning. Value is none. If you like two scents in a sort of interchangeable way, the comparison you describe is totally valid. And there is another way to look at value, too, and that's from the perspective of how much was invested in the raw materials that were resold to you in the bottle. If it's in fact true what Josh has said in interviews that some of the retail price of some of his scents at times was LESS than the cost of the materials, there is from the perspective of materials alone an astonishing value in those bottles. When most commercial fragrances are spending between $15 and $35 per kilo of perfume concentrate, it is almost mind blowing to think that a kilo of, say, Norne concentrate might cost something like $2000. (My math is very rough there, but I erred far on the conservative side--those 50ml Norne bottles used to sell for $115 when he made those remarks).

A fragrance of course is far more than the sum of its materials, so that is just one aspect of "value." Ultimately, it always come back to how much you love it and these degrees of emotional attachment (or aversion) tend to make us totally irrational with respect to any formulaic way of defining value.

Just got my bottle of Baque and Rume in the mail today. And I got a free 15ml bottle of Grev, plus samples! He may not be much of a businessman, but Josh is one hell of a nice guy!
    "How do I smell? I smell good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Beranium Chotato View Post
    I would be very surprised if "wearable" is the goal or that commercial reality is driving the batch of scents that Octavarium describes. Slumberhouse has quite a long history of exploring different styles (lighter, floral, etc.) in limited batches and I would guess we are about to see another similar offshoot. The Eki / Flou / Sana / Iska family of scents from last summer was well off the typical Slumberhouse path but hardly commercial and definitely NOT an attempt to be "wearable" in a mainstream way. Although that word is so variable depending on the wearer, and I would even throw out a guess that Josh finds all his scents "wearable."

So maybe let's not write them off when they've only been announced by Octavarium, Grrrr.

There are many ways to slice up value. For starters, if you don't like the scent, you can just skip all the math right at the beginning. Value is none. If you like two scents in a sort of interchangeable way, the comparison you describe is totally valid. And there is another way to look at value, too, and that's from the perspective of how much was invested in the raw materials that were resold to you in the bottle. If it's in fact true what Josh has said in interviews that some of the retail price of some of his scents at times was LESS than the cost of the materials, there is from the perspective of materials alone an astonishing value in those bottles. When most commercial fragrances are spending between $15 and $35 per kilo of perfume concentrate, it is almost mind blowing to think that a kilo of, say, Norne concentrate might cost something like $2000. (My math is very rough there, but I erred far on the conservative side--those 50ml Norne bottles used to sell for $115 when he made those remarks).

A fragrance of course is far more than the sum of its materials, so that is just one aspect of "value." Ultimately, it always come back to how much you love it and these degrees of emotional attachment (or aversion) tend to make us totally irrational with respect to any formulaic way of defining value.
    In response to me being the only one who's announced anything, that's just what I've heard from him in emails, and may in fact not be true. Though, since he did try different stuff last summer as you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if he did have some new stuff for us this time around.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I am hoping for a smoky ambre fragrance, or possibly deeply woody fragrance that's non coniferous. Perhaps a cedar or sandalwood fragrance. Either way, I'm excited to see what his next work of art will be.

In response to me being the only one who's announced anything, that's just what I've heard from him in emails, and may in fact not be true. Though, since he did try different stuff last summer as you mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if he did have some new stuff for us this time around.

Basenotes Member

Whoo hoo! Got my sample pack yesterday. I've been really interested in trying these scents out. So far I've tried Sova and Norne. My first reaction of Sova was that it might be too sweet for me. It is interesting, but perhaps it is the maple that is turning me off. I'll definitely give this a few more wearings to see if this changes for me.

Norne I really liked. Definitely like a dark pine forest. Very strong, and just a very full pine. There are lots of pine scents that I don't care for because they seem to light on me, but Norne is not that type of scent. I'm not really great at describing smells, but I am really digging this one.

Looking forward to trying the next two this weekend.

Jeke might be to your liking. It's smokey, has a hint of tobacco, light spice and slightly woody.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattnick View Post
    Whoo hoo! Got my sample pack yesterday. I've been really interested in trying these scents out. So far I've tried Sova and Norne. My first reaction of Sova was that it might be too sweet for me. It is interesting, but perhaps it is the maple that is turning me off. I'll definitely give this a few more wearings to see if this changes for me.
    Yes, try it again. And then again. And then rinse and repeat. Like rynegne said, I think you may like Jeke. I for one liked it better than Sova at first, which I used to think was too sweet. Then I learnt to spray with a lighter hand and got addicted to that delicious narcotic burnt caramel.

Basenotes Member

I tried Jeke yesterday, and you're right, this is my favorite of the bunch. It reminded me a lot of Sonoma Scent Studio's winterwoods, but with some tobacco added in and much longer lasting. I'm really surprised that one spray is literally all it takes, and it lasts all day long.

Luckily these 2 ml samples will last a long time because I'm excited to try each of these a few more times to better wrap my head around them.

I never drew similarities between Winter Woods and Jeke. However, I just gave Winter Woods a sniff out of the bottle right now and can sweet what you're referring to. Winter Woods is much more mellow, whereas Jeke is the hyperactive younger, stronger, attention-seeking brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattnick View Post
    I tried Jeke yesterday, and you're right, this is my favorite of the bunch. It reminded me a lot of Sonoma Scent Studio's winterwoods, but with some tobacco added in and much longer lasting. I'm really surprised that one spray is literally all it takes, and it lasts all day long.

Luckily these 2 ml samples will last a long time because I'm excited to try each of these a few more times to better wrap my head around them.

Basenotes Member

I'm so excited! One of my sample packs just arrived and among them were all the Slumberhouse samples I ordered. About to sample them all for the first time =)
    I still wish I could sniff some of the discontinued ones like Baque, Iska, Sana, Mori, Flou and Kote. But better than nothing at all.

Last edited by silkfire; 8th April 2013 at 04:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by silkfire View Post
    I'm so excited! One of my sample packs just arrived and among them were all the Slumberhouse samples I ordered. About to sample them all for the first time =)
    I still wish I could sniff some of the discontinued ones like Baque, Iska, Sana, Mori, Flou and Kote. But better than nothing at all.

Where'd you find those?!

With how many discontinued fragrances this brand has, does anyone worry about getting hooked on one of them just to have it discontinued a few years down the road? I'm mainly asking this as a BNer seeking a signature fragrance rather than a serial wearer.
    Fall/Winter Signature: Midnight in Paris EDP by Van Cleef & Arpels
    Spring/Summer Signature: TBD
    My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
    With how many discontinued fragrances this brand has, does anyone worry about getting hooked on one of them just to have it discontinued a few years down the road? I'm mainly asking this as a BNer seeking a signature fragrance rather than a serial wearer.
    That's definitely a concern for sure. Still, I just buy the fragrance I want and enjoy the time I have with it. If it was meant to be and I get another bottle, great, if not, I understand why he does what he does and respect his choice.

Oh, and unrelated to that, I wore my sample of Jeke extrait on Saturday night and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I need a bottle, but I am definitely enjoying my sample. I like it a good bit more than the old esprit version (fun fact, "esprit" means "mind" in French).

Speaking as a fellow signature fragrance person -- oh yeah.

On the other hand... while I would consider myself to have a signature clothing style in the larger sense, I don't expect to be wearing the exact same pieces of clothing, for the most part, in three or four years time. So in this particular case, since I find myself so universally appreciating what I've smelled of Josh's work, I find myself hoping that his dedication to a continued artistic fragrance evolution might remain in line with my taste, so that while I might not be wearing Sova in 2018, I might still be wearing something of his which I like as much or more.

That's definitely a concern for sure. Still, I just buy the fragrance I want and enjoy the time I have with it. If it was meant to be and I get another bottle, great, if not, I understand why he does what he does and respect his choice.
    Agree with this. Also, I respect and prefer his honesty about how his scents change, rather than try to sneak a reformulation under our noses.

Further, I sense he changes his formulas mainly because he's trying to improve them, not to cut costs. If only more companies were like this.

Given these considerations and Slumberhouse's small size, I am okay with the reality that a scent might be discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    ...while I might not be wearing Sova in 2018, I might still be wearing something of his which I like as much or more.
    Excellent point. And if in fact you do find a scent that you connect with on a very deep level and cannot live without, it's probably a good idea to buy a backup or two just in case (this goes for any scent, not just for slumberhouse).

Speaking of Slumberhouse -- in the last couple of days, I've been revisiting one of my "difficult" samples, Kere. And I think I like this, too, now. I do have to spray it well down on my body and away from my face to keep the bitter root factor from oppressing my brain in the weird way it does, but with that done, I now find the scent fascinating.

I'm not sure that this one would get any public acclaim from friends and random huggers, though. It remains much more medicinal than fragrant, but there's an dry, earthy, grounded, edgy quality to it that I could come to really like.

Speaking of Slumberhouse -- in the last couple of days, I've been revisiting one of my "difficult" samples, Kere. And I think I like this, too, now. I do have to spray it well down on my body and away from my face to keep the bitter root factor from oppressing my brain in the weird way it does, but with that done, I now find the scent fascinating.

I'm not sure that this one would get any public acclaim from friends and random huggers, though. It remains much more medicinal than fragrant, but there's an dry, earthy, grounded, edgy quality to it that I could come to really like.
    Hm, that sounds nothing like the Kere I have. Mine is apples, cinnamon, and lots and lots of caramel and praline. I really like it. It's a little feminine, but I can pull it off.

I know... it doesn't match any descriptions of the scent anywhere online either. But I have two samples of it now, and both of them are these big herbal whammies. I know sometimes my nose is weird, but I don't think it could be that weird... so I'm not sure what version I've got, or why it's so different from all the others.

I know... it doesn't match any descriptions of the scent anywhere online either. But I have two samples of it now, and both of them are these big herbal whammies. I know sometimes my nose is weird, but I don't think it could be that weird... so I'm not sure what version I've got, or why it's so different from all the others.
    It's possible. You should email Josh and ask about it! I'm curious to know.

Could these be two entirely different fragrances? Surrender to Chance does after all list a version of Kere that they stress is "not the Kere that was released in 2011".

Hm, that sounds nothing like the Kere I have. Mine is apples, cinnamon, and lots and lots of caramel and praline. I really like it. It's a little feminine, but I can pull it off.
    I recently received a sample of the Kere that OctaVariuM has... gosh is it sweet. I'm well aware of the fact that my skin amplifies sweetness, but this caramel is also a tenacious little bugger. I got a little on my fingertips and it clung to my nails for more than a day. Some of the scent must have rubbed off on my keyboard as well, because I smell Kere on my fingers again each time I use it. I think I might enjoy the dry, earthy, grounded one better, although I haven't sniffed it, and probably will never get to. As for this iteration, I think I'd take Sova any day.

I just did a little surfing, and I wonder if I'm extra-sensitive to immortelle as a note. That seems to be what I'm smelling: a powerful bitter fenugreek-like smell.

There were two separate Kere pilots and they are dramatically different. One was immortelle-forward and one was apple/maple/saffron. I don't know whether the former saw a limited release outside of samples. The latter did not.

so cool to have a house like this in the US. Oregon has best run commercial company in Nike and best perfume house in Slumberhouse.

Basenotes Plus

I've sampled SOVA and love it.

I sampled Rume. not a fan. I do have vikt to try, will let you know.

Huge fan of this house. I own Norne, Sova, and Baque, and love them all. I've also enjoyed Rume, Kere, Eke and a number of his others from a while back. The only ones that I struggled with were Grev and Vikt, but even then it was clear that they were great scents. I've even had people ask me if I've been drinking after wearing Sova.

I have to reiterate that Josh is one hell of a nice guy and can be extraordinarily personable and generous.
    Last edited by deadidol; 11th April 2013 at 02:49 PM.

I don't know Josh personally but he lives in the same town as I. His fragrances are a changing palette. Good for him! And good for those of us that wear his scents too. A perfumer is an artist and Josh is definately avant guard. Love them or hate them, there is no denying the artistry. I am a photographer and studied under Ansel Adams. His famous photograph "Moonrise ove Hernandez" looked very much different when he first printed it just after he image was exposed and in later years when his technique and style matured and progressed. I see Josh doing the same sort of thing artistically. Some scents are retired because he becomes bored with them while others are tweaked and improved to represent the artist's vision. You may well prefer an earlier interpritation but I respect that an artist can and does change his baby to represent a more mature representation of his creation. Art can be static or it can evolve to something more. Most houses will make xerox copies that sort of look like the original but lack that certain something. I support an artist that wants his art to evolve...not devolve into mediocrity. GO JOSH!!!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Anyone saw Josh's tweets on a potential new frag?

Last month I created an insane coffee amber using nothing but resins in coffee concrete. Mixed it in a bottle 1/10th full of Jack Daniels
    Perils include redness/odd sensation upon application spot, stickier than sap, and lasts about 4-5 days. Dilution/aging now follows
    I hadn't thought of it before but it makes absolute sense - I'd really like to see Slumberhouse take on coffee! Love the smell of it, only that lots of so-called coffee frags out there are either so sweet (New "maple syrup" Haarlem I'm looking at you) or weak they may as well not call themselves coffee.

I see he's also updated the Slumberhouse website with Sova, P&O, Norne & Jeke in their handsome new bottles.

In other news I just took delivery of a new decant of Norne (esprit de parfum, not the new extrait as far as I'm aware) and guess what - I think I finally get the scent. (Or maybe I still don't, but I have one more Slumberhouse favourite on my shopping list anyway). The sample I got from Josh was all green, herbal pine needles - it didn't do all that much for me and even though I kept revisiting it, I admit I wore it out of the house only once. With this one, the greenness is less intrusive and I get all the wood and incense and resins that people were talking about as well. Now I keep wanting to smell more of it. I suspect it will be tomorrow's SOTD.
    Last edited by rowan-; 13th April 2013 at 08:36 PM.

well, looking at that tweet it would be coffee AND whiskey. Could be quite interesting if Josh follows through on it.

Could also possibly get you arrested on suspicion of DUI as well if it reeks of whiskey, haha
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Josh's take on coffee, amber, and whiskey sounds great to me. I hope it turns out well! That must not be one of the "lighter" ones he's supposedly been working on.

I don't see them listed on the site, anyone else?

Also, coffee/amber/whiskey sounds awesome to me. I need a sample...now.

I don't see them listed on the site, anyone else?

Also, coffee/amber/whiskey sounds awesome to me. I need a sample...now.
    Oh I meant he updated the site with the Big Four in their new bottles. The coffee/amber/whiskey hint was only on Twitter. I wish there was a waiting list for samples! Must say I'm glad he's not going all P&O with his new frags but I hope this one doesn't turn out all sweeeeet either... I don't ask for much, do I?

We can ask together, a focus group of two. I don't do well with sweet either. Coffee, though.... I am all about the coffee although given my daily consumption I don't know if wearing it as a fragrance as well might not be superfluous.

I was happy to see that Slumberhouse took the 2012 Basenotes' "New House of the Year" award .

Yet another Oregonian says "Go Josh! ".

Im still disappointed that he won't bring Basque back, sounded great.

Just landed some Sova myself, first wearing wasn't too impressed but im warming too it. Based off the notes on the website I was expecting something different but now that my expectations have settled I think its a nice enough fragrance. Should go well in the cooler weather as a very woody slightly smokey scent.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    Im still disappointed that he won't bring Basque back, sounded great.

Just landed some Sova myself, first wearing wasn't too impressed but im warming too it. Based off the notes on the website I was expecting something different but now that my expectations have settled I think its a nice enough fragrance. Should go well in the cooler weather as a very woody slightly smokey scent.
    It's not that different to Sova. It's slightly less complex and sweet, and the ashy smokiness is ramped up through the roof. I like them both, but if you already have Sova, you're good to go.

Aside from Norne, I find that you have to sort of warm to a number of his scents as they're as challenging as they are likable. I think that's what gives them a more aesthetic quality that can actually affect your mood / day as opposed to simply augmenting it. His scents can be somewhat of an imposition.

We can ask together, a focus group of two. I don't do well with sweet either. Coffee, though.... I am all about the coffee although given my daily consumption I don't know if wearing it as a fragrance as well might not be superfluous.
    I take all my coffee black, without milk or sugar, so I almost invariably set myself up for disappointment with coffee fragrances that are in the least bit gourmand, though it could be interesting to push it in an unfoody direction - maybe with wood or incense or tobacco or some such. That said, I'd get in line for anything Josh comes up with.

Speaking of which, I wonder if he reads this thread. (He sure isn't answering my emails about buying his frags, but I expect he is one busy man.)

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    I take all my coffee black, without milk or sugar, so I almost invariably set myself up for disappointment with coffee fragrances that are in the least bit gourmand, though it could be interesting to push it in an unfoody direction - maybe with wood or incense or tobacco or some such. That said, I'd get in line for anything Josh comes up with.

Speaking of which, I wonder if he reads this thread. (He sure isn't answering my emails about buying his frags, but I expect he is one busy man.)
    I've asked him and he deliberately avoids reading people's thoughts on his fragrances so that it doesn't change his state of mind while creating fragrances.

I've asked him and he deliberately avoids reading people's thoughts on his fragrances so that it doesn't change his state of mind while creating fragrances.
    Fair enough - though I hope he has a killer crap detector that doesn't discard legitimate email enquiries about buying the fragrances!

I would also love to try a coffee scent from this house... I'm sure it would be done right. I also would prefer to tone down the sweetness though, a dry coffee would be awesome. I liked New Haarlem at one time but then the maple syrup became overwhelming at a certain point and I can't stand it anymore.

Fair enough - though I hope he has a killer crap detector that doesn't discard legitimate email enquiries about buying the fragrances!
    I should specify, he'll read your emails and respond about anything, but he's sort of been MIA the last few weeks. I usually talk to him once a week or once every other week, but it's been nearly a month since the last time we talked. I suppose he's busy working on the new stuff. Just buy the stuff via the PayPal service he offers on his site.

I suppose he's busy working on the new stuff.
    <<<----This, confirmed on my communications with Josh...Also hunted down the last of Vikt available and bought from Alder & co, frag is now on the way
    As the saying "All for those who wait" i urge more BN to try Rume, the dry down IMO & experience takes abt 5-6 hrs to kick in, but its so beautiful once it starts...So far I own FB's of Grev, Norne, Sova, Rume & Jeke (Baque & Vikt ordered and on the way).

Still hunting for Ore and other discontinued frags from this wonderful house & eagerly awaiting the new ones that may be released this year...

I should specify, he'll read your emails and respond about anything, but he's sort of been MIA the last few weeks. I usually talk to him once a week or once every other week, but it's been nearly a month since the last time we talked. I suppose he's busy working on the new stuff. Just buy the stuff via the PayPal service he offers on his site.
    I got an email from him a couple days ago. Apparently he just got back from a vacation, so it is normal that he's got a bunch of emails to respond to and would be slower than normal. I agree with OctaVariuM that the easiest thing to do would be just to buy the fragrances from his online shop: http://slumberhou.se/shop

On a related note, he emailed me because my order had not shipped yet. It had been two weeks since I ordered, but there was a problem with his new packaging for samples being too small to get the right customs forms on and also the lag time from his vacation. He seemed genuinely distressed about this and said he'd throw in an extra sample to compensate me.

Hopefully this info is helpful for anyone else waiting on sample packages or email replies.
    Last edited by CMcG; 16th April 2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I got en email from him a couple days ago. Apparently he just got back from a vacation, so it is normal that he's got a bunch of emails to respond to and would be slower than normal. I agree with OctaVariuM that the easiest thing to do would be just to buy the fragrances from his online shope: http://slumberhou.se/shop

On a related note, he emailed me because my order had not shipped yet. It had been two weeks since I ordered, but there was a problem with his new packaging for samples being too small to get the right customs forms on and also the lag time from his vacation. He seemed genuinely distressed about this and said he'd throw in an extra sample to compensate me.

Hopefully this info is helpful for anyone else waiting on sample packages or email replies.
    Yeah, he got back to my email last night, which was nice. I hope he enjoyed his vacation. I'm sure the guy works himself to the bone most days since it is just him.

My samples have finally arrived! I got Jeke, Pear + Olive, Norne, Sova, and Kere. There was also a mini of Baque and a hand written note from Josh apologizing for the delay. This is quite exciting and I hardly even know where to start...

IMG_1680.jpg

Start with the Baque. I think you'll really enjoy it. It is up there as one of my favorite scents. It embodies a rustic fall...smoke...drying tobacco harvest with a side of Kentucky whiskey. Baque reminds me of a trip to the Marker's Mark distillery right outside of Louisville in the golden hills of Kentucky.

Oh...one more thing. I hope you enjoy your journey through the Slumberhouse line as much as I did. It's a truly artistic line created by a genuinely great personality in Josh. Enjoy!

My samples have finally arrived! I got Jeke, Pear + Olive, Norne, Sova, and Kere. There was also a mini of Baque and a hand written note from Josh apologizing for the delay. This is quite exciting and I hardly even know where to start...

IMG_1680.jpg
    That final batch of Baque is especially lovely -- enjoy!

Anyone wants to sell their Baque or Vikt? any amount..

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Anyone wants to sell their Baque or Vikt? any amount..
    Outline, have you asked Josh if he has any left? He might have some samples laying around or something. I got one of the last bottles of Baque, but am reluctant to let any of it go, otherwise I'd offer.

Anyone wants to sell their Ore? That's the one missing Slumberhouse in my collection and the thought's killing me...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Anyone wants to sell their Ore? That's the one missing Slumberhouse in my collection and the thought's killing me...
    I'm still slightly gobsmacked that a 30 ml bottle of Ore recently sold on eBay for $282.77...

Never hurts to email Josh, hes one hell of a nice guy, kind of cool he takes the time to reply in detail too, I enquired about Baque and he sold me one, can't wait to get a hold of it.

That being said....now I've noticed Ore...dont think Josh would help with that one seems very rare, I see a few members trying to get it and there searches don't seem to be going too well, that being said if anyone comes across a bottle a heads up would be nice, those ebay prices seem reasonable but none left there now.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I started my journey through the sample pack with Baque, which I have worn for the last two days. It is quite different in structure and evolution than any other fragrance I've worn, but it is beautiful and not at all challenging or weird.

This stuff is seriously strong, almost thick smelling. One drop on my chest straight from the bottle lasted until my next shower (17 hours), while two drops was verging on being too much and might well have been if the weather was hotter. It projected well for the first 4-5 hours, but even 20 hours later was still teasing me with whiffs.

Baque is listed as "a warm amber tobacco flower perfume" and this is very accurate. It does, however, have other notes that develop around that amber tobacco core over the course of its prodigious longevity. I definitely get the bourbon references other people have made.

As per Josh Lobb's design, there isn't much in the way of top notes, though the apricot smells freshest for the first hour or two before becoming more smoky/dried and there is a bit of booziness at the start as well. The cedar joins the chorus several hours in and gradually replaces the apricot. After 8 hours or so the cedar gives way to vanilla and a bit of very dry straw.

I love how there is some sweetness to the apricot, amber, and vanilla, but that it is never overpowering, which is key for me because I don't like syrupy or candy-like fragrances. Overall, this is really high quality, well-designed stuff and I'm pretty sure my little mini will last quite a long time!

Today I'm wearing Norne...
    Last edited by CMcG; 25th April 2013 at 03:41 PM.

Norne's astounding. Glad you liked Baque, too. For me, it has a slight edge over Sova.

Oh I did email Josh - and he said he's totally out - including sample vials...But I don't think i will spend 282 on ebay for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    Never hurts to email Josh, hes one hell of a nice guy, kind of cool he takes the time to reply in detail too, I enquired about Baque and he sold me one, can't wait to get a hold of it.

That being said....now I've noticed Ore...dont think Josh would help with that one seems very rare, I see a few members trying to get it and there searches don't seem to be going too well, that being said if anyone comes across a bottle a heads up would be nice, those ebay prices seem reasonable but none left there now.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Oh I did email Josh - and he said he's totally out - including sample vials...But I don't think i will spend 282 on ebay for it...
    Yeah I was a part of it, but that was waaaaaay too steep for it. Ore is awesome, but according to Josh it's too hard to find the ingredients to make it reliably.

I'm glad the thread didn't steer you wrong with Baque. I respectfully disagree with some that say there's no reason to have Baque with Sova. I find the two completely different, especially with Josh's newest reformulation of Sova that is extremely potent. I find Sova to be much darker and dramatically more complex. Baque, IMO, is the easiest in the line to wear. The reason I strongly prefer Baque is really the animalaic undertones found in Sova. To me there's just one note that really bothers me in Sova, and it really kills it for me...I'm guessing that note is castoreum.

I started my journey through the sample pack with Baque, which I have worn for the last two days. It is quite different in structure and evolution than any other fragrance I've worn, but it is beautiful and not at all challenging or weird.

This stuff is seriously strong, almost thick smelling. One drop on my chest straight from the bottle lasted until my next shower (17 hours), while two drops was verging on being too much and might well have been if the weather was hotter. It projected well for the first 4-5 hours, but even 20 hours later was still teasing me with whiffs.

Baque is listed as "a warm amber tobacco flower perfume" and this is very accurate. It does, however, have other notes that develop around that amber tobacco core over the course of its prodigious longevity. I definitely get the bourbon references other people have made.

As per Josh Lobb's design, there isn't much in the way of top notes, though the apricot smells freshest for the first hour or two before becoming more smoky/dried and there is a bit of booziness at the start as well. The cedar joins the chorus several hours in and gradually replaces the apricot. After 8 hours or so the cedar gives way to vanilla and a bit of very dry straw.

I love how there is some sweetness to the apricot, amber, and vanilla, but that it is never overpowering, which is key for me because I don't like syrupy or candy-like fragrances. Overall, this is really high quality, well-designed stuff and I'm pretty sure my little mini will last quite a long time!