Code of Conduct
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Slumberhouse

Got back home from work last night and sprayed Norne on my wrist so that I could smell- I know these are strong stuff, so when applying in the morning I just do one on my chest and that lasts me the whole day.

Anyway, the resinous, syrupy, smokey character that reminds me of barbecue sauce was there, but I got the pine too. Went to dinner, and after about 20 minutes I smelled again and it was like sticking my nose onto a freshly-sawed slab of pine. It was impressive and explicit.
    Last edited by juanderer; 29th March 2013 at 05:53 PM.

Juan, are you talking about Norne or Sova? I don't get any pine from Sova.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Got back home from work last night and sprayed Sova on my wrist so that I could smell- I know these are strong stuff, so when applying in the morning I just do one on my chest and that lasts me the whole day.

Anyway, the resinous, syrupy, smokey character that reminds me of barbecue sauce was there, but I got the pine too. Went to dinner, and after about 20 minutes I smelled again and it was like sticking my nose onto a freshly-sawed slab of pine. It was impressive and explicit.

Basenotes Plus

Dur. Thanks for bringing that up. It was Norne. I reapplied.

Norne is an interesting one, actually one of the most impressively complex fragrances from Slumberhouse. The dry-down has some incense, which is a nice touch in conjunction with the fir. However, this is the only one in the house that I do not personally enjoy wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Dur. Thanks for bringing that up. It was Norne. I reapplied.

Dependent

Just picked up the last bottle of Vikt at parfum1.com! Thank goodness.

Enjoy Monkey! Probably my second favorite in the Slumberhouse line. I love how this plays with light metallic notes and a heavy dose of Sambuca. Another juice from Slumberhouse that lasts days.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post

Basenotes Institution

That's the licorice one, right, with oud?
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

I just put in an order for one of the remaining bottles of Rume at Parfum1. It's a bit too literally potpourri-like for me to wear very much I think, but I figured this would probably be my last chance to get it and I'm such a fan of this line, I decided to snatch one while I could.

Hey Tony! I don't think you'll be disappointed with the purchase. I think the blast of spice overpowers the light potpourri scent. As it warms up and evolves throughout the day I think you'll really enjoy it and possibly come to love it as I do

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I just put in an order for one of the remaining bottles of Rume at Parfum1. It's a bit too literally potpourri-like for me to wear very much I think, but I figured this would probably be my last chance to get it and I'm such a fan of this line, I decided to snatch one while I could.
    Yep, it's the dark licorice oud.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That's the licorice one, right, with oud?

Has anyone perchance tried Eki? I see that Parfum1 still has a few bottles of that left, and if anyone could make a white flower scent that I had the slightest hope of liking, it would be Josh. I'm debating whether to risk it.

I have tried Eki. It's a nice, sweet light floral with a hint of mint.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    Has anyone perchance tried Eki? I see that Parfum1 still has a few bottles of that left, and if anyone could make a white flower scent that I had the slightest hope of liking, it would be Josh. I'm debating whether to risk it.

Compass, I'll PM you what I know, which isn't much.

I have found personally that the character/personality/strangeness that I love in the heavy scents are not present in the lighter ones (Flou, Sana, Eki I have tried). But I am liking Pear and Olive.

Power Where You Need It

Great score, MB!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I've tried Eki just once. It's a sweet white floral yes, but not screechy high-pitched or syrupy or cloying and it's probably one of the (few) sweet scents I might actually wear. It doesn't seem to have quite so much going on though and if I had sniffed it blind, I probably wouldn't even have guessed it was a Slumberhouse. I'll probably give it several wearings, but that's my admittedly sketchy first impression.

I'll admit I was nevertheless tempted by those few bottles left at Parfum1 but ultimately reminded myself that I have a priority queue for Slumberhouse frags and Eki is behind at least three of the four currently in production.

But if you do pick one up, I would be interested to hear what you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Compass, I'll PM you what I know, which isn't much.
    OctaVariuM, I would be interested in what you have to say about Eki, if it's anything you could share with me as well.

I've tried Eki, Grev Jike, Vikt, Rume, Sana, Norne, and Pear and Olive, but they were the extrant super concentrated samples. I loved Norne, but not on me...smelled like pine room spray. Pear and Olive was wearable. The rest were just too strong.

I agree on Norne, personally. I like the strength of Slumberhouse frags. If I am paying over $100 for a 1.7 I would expect the quality and strength received from Slumberhouse. I've paid over $100 for a niche fragrance before, only to see the fragrance fade from my skin after only 3 hours. With Slumberhouse, you're smelling like Rume/Vikt/Jeke until you take a shower...not until you roll the windows down in your car.

In preparation for the arrival of my sample pack, I emailed Josh in regards to people's comments about the potency his fragrances. I asked for some guidance on application. Here is the relevant part of his reply, which other people may find useful too:

"...due to the concentration I recommend rubbing the fragrance into your skin once you spray it on, otherwise it may leave behind a slight 'oily' sheen from the density of the materials used to compose them. This isn't necessary, but I do at least suggest doing so with Norne as it's a dark colored perfume and can leave a bit of staining if you don't rub it in. The other option is exactly what you said, to spray and walk through, or what I do which is simply spray from a full arm's length so that the fragrance disperses well. I'm also using a new atomizer on my bottles which allows for great pump control, half-sprays (and even less) should pose no problem. As these are extraits, the sillage shouldn't be too loud but the longevity will be quite substantial, especially if you like to spray your clothes."

I sounds like one spray, at arms length is probably good. But for those who think Slumberhouse fragrances are too strong, maybe just 1/2 a spray is enough?

Basenotes Plus

You'll be fine with one full spray.

When I applied Norne to my forearm, it immediately looked like I was bruised.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    In preparation for the arrival of my sample pack, I emailed Josh in regards to people's comments about the potency his fragrances. I asked for some guidance on application. Here is the relevant part of his reply, which other people may find useful too:

"...due to the concentration I recommend rubbing the fragrance into your skin once you spray it on, otherwise it may leave behind a slight 'oily' sheen from the density of the materials used to compose them. This isn't necessary, but I do at least suggest doing so with Norne as it's a dark colored perfume and can leave a bit of staining if you don't rub it in. The other option is exactly what you said, to spray and walk through, or what I do which is simply spray from a full arm's length so that the fragrance disperses well. I'm also using a new atomizer on my bottles which allows for great pump control, half-sprays (and even less) should pose no problem. As these are extraits, the sillage shouldn't be too loud but the longevity will be quite substantial, especially if you like to spray your clothes."

I sounds like one spray, at arms length is probably good. But for those who think Slumberhouse fragrances are too strong, maybe just 1/2 a spray is enough?
    Interesting that he rubs it in. I've heard that is bad for fragrances. I've sprayed them on my skin probably 20 or so times total now (about 15 or so wearings, since I sometimes intentionally overspray), and I've found that one spray to the next, just below the shirt works best.

With Slumberhouse and other potent fragrances, I half spray my wrists, dab together (no rubbing) then spray another half spray on my neck line. That tends to work best for me.

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing Baque today for the 1st time. Funny, but I don't really get an apricot from this. I think I might be anosmic to apricot notes. But I instantly smell the similarities to Sova and the tobacco/straw/woods smell old (antiquated), thick and resinous. Nice - but not as nice as Sova.
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

I'm not adding much, but I do love me some slumberhouse!

Jeke (autumn), Norne (pine wood), Sova (sweet yummy autumn), Baque (dry tobacco) are my faves from the line.

Verg (mossy vegetation) is ok, but I need to try it some more. Others didn't rub me very well on a first try: Grev (green herbal), Vikt (woody resin), Rume (barn hay), Mur (cereal-esque). I do need to rotate these up again for more trials.

Only Kere has been one I don't want to wear for sure, but that's only because I do not get along with licorice scents at all.

No matter the scent, though, they are all very powerful and masculine. And when I like them, I *really* like them.

I actually prefer Baque to Sova. It seems to be quite similar to Sova, minus the heavy beeswax notes and amped up tobacco/woods. I wasn't able to pull apricot from Baque either.

I'm wearing Baque today for the 1st time. Funny, but I don't really get an apricot from this. I think I might be anosmic to apricot notes. But I instantly smell the similarities to Sova and the tobacco/straw/woods smell old (antiquated), thick and resinous. Nice - but not as nice as Sova.

I agree with what you said, Mike. For me, Baque is just a stripped down version of Sova with the super dry tobacco ramped up. It's nice, but since I own a bottle of Sova, I rarely wear my samples (I think I have two).

Baque to me feels like something halfway between Sova and Jeke, without the smoky notes and with an intriguing extra sting of camphor. I like Baque. I think, given the option, Baque would be what I'd buy, rather than Jeke, since I already have Sova.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Sova today. Got a booziness from it at first sniff and a nice tobacco and hay vibe with a very present vanilla and burnt sugar sweetness that is far from cloying. Really enjoying this.

I still get the barbecue-sauce-like smoky thickness that I got from the other two (Jeke and Norne) although this one is not as smoky.

I'll try to give Pear + Olive another spin in the next couple of days.

I appreciate this line more the more I'm exposed to it. I think my favorite so far is Norne and I'm kicking myself for not having ordered samples earlier to try the offerings that are now unavailable.

I'm very thankful to have bought a bottle before the discontinuation. This is my favorite fragrance in the line after Rume.
    Baque reminds me of the smell of the Maker's Mark whiskey distillery just outside Louisville. Wooden barrels, whiskey and smell of light light smoke. Baque has the sweet hay and tobacco that Sova has without the Beeswax.... a very slight hint of apricot (or dried fruit) upon launch whereas Sova has more honey. This stuff lasts quite a while, 12+ hours no problem.

Baque to me feels like something halfway between Sova and Jeke, without the smoky notes and with an intriguing extra sting of camphor. I like Baque. I think, given the option, Baque would be what I'd buy, rather than Jeke, since I already have Sova.

I'm glad I own both Baque and Sova, but I find that I wear Baque more frequently. Perhaps it's a bit more conventional in some ways than Sova, which smells more like a place than a perfume (which is not something that bothers me). Speaking of smelling like a place, my bottle of Rume arrived today. It must have been one of the very last ones he made because it's in the new bottles, but was made before he filled them with marbles and got the new atomizers. Wow, it's really strong. It even survived me taking a shower. I'm glad I have it for archival purposes but I'm really not sure I'll be wearing it much. It smells like old books, cola, and spiced stewed plums.

Tony! I'm glad to have swayed you on the Baque or at least I'd like to think I had something to do with it I have the same bottle of Rume you just got today, new bottle, extremely potent. I haven't tested the new bottle yet, but it sounds like it will last me quite a while from your description. I wear Baque 2nd most out of the whole line after my original bottle of Rume. I'm super interested to see if there will be anything coming out from Josh in the near future. I was definitely surprised, but stand by his decision to discontinue some of the fragrances he fell out of love with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'm glad I own both Baque and Sova, but I find that I wear Baque more frequently. Perhaps it's a bit more conventional in some ways than Sova, which smells more like a place than a perfume (which is not something that bothers me). Speaking of smelling like a place, my bottle of Rume arrived today. It must have been one of the very last ones he made because it's in the new bottles, but was made before he filled them with marbles and got the new atomizers. Wow, it's really strong. It even survived me taking a shower. I'm glad I have it for archival purposes but I'm really not sure I'll be wearing it much. It smells like old books, cola, and spiced stewed plums.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast