Code of Conduct
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
Results 721 to 750 of 791

Thread: Slumberhouse

  1. #721
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,846
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I wore Jeke to the university the other day and got a compliment from a colleague. The combination of leather, tobacco, and smoked tea notes is reminiscent of the archetypal, old school professors lounge... ironically, my university is rather new and doesn't have any places like that :P
    I loved the Jeke when I sniffed it, but had to wash it off after an hour b/c it was so strong it nauseated me. I finally put a drop behind each knee and occasionally caught a whiff that way, any higher was too strong. I wonder about dumping some in Everclear and spritzing 10% strength...never mind...too much work.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  2. #722
    evogel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Milford,PA
    Posts
    1,503

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I am the odd one out as far as projection and sillage. The extraits last forever for me but after the first couple of hours they do not project. 3 full sprays to the upper chest and one to the wrist and they are like that.

    Grev, on the other hand projects like a beast with just one spray. This is how it usually works for me with EdP VS Extraits. The EdP's usually project more and leave a trail. It seems odd that Grev is the opposite for most here opposed to the newer Extraits!

  3. #723

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see him do an incense-to-end-all-incenses.
    I'd get in line for this one (as well as the coffee amber). But as I always say, I'll try anything Josh makes. Some folks may not agree, but I personally thought he made a good artistic call in trimming the line and bringing more focus to his output. I don't know if this makes sense or not, but going by the discretion he's shown and the decisions he's taken, I'm fairly confident I'm going to appreciate whatever direction he next chooses for Slumberhouse.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    When I put this stuff on, it alters the way I approach my day in some form or another. That's something I've never seen done in a fragrance before. Five sprays of Norne before going to the beach might be a problem, but I'd rather stay away from the beach and wear my Norne instead!
    I think I might do that as well - and spread out those five sprays so that I'd have enough Norne to last me a week!

  4. #724
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    614
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I have samples of:

    Flou
    Sana
    Jeke
    Sova
    Pear & Olive
    Norne

    Does anyone have samples of their other kinds they'd want to swap with me? If so, please PM with what you have!

    Picture for proof:
    http://imgur.com/bjlWdvm
    Last edited by noideawhatimsaying; 6th May 2013 at 06:42 PM.

  5. #725
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    287

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I am the odd one out as far as projection and sillage. The extraits last forever for me but after the first couple of hours they do not project. 3 full sprays to the upper chest and one to the wrist and they are like that.

    Grev, on the other hand projects like a beast with just one spray. This is how it usually works for me with EdP VS Extraits. The EdP's usually project more and leave a trail. It seems odd that Grev is the opposite for most here opposed to the newer Extraits!
    You and me both. I'm blown away by all these people saying "Slumberhouse just projects and it's such a hard-to-wear BEAST OF A SCENT!" I can go into any Sephora and spray on one small test spray of any of the regular scents people round here wear, a John Varvatos or a YSL or a Tom Ford or something, and it will be all over the room on me in the most obnoxious way. Slumberhouse except for Grev and Kere wraps me around close as a blanket; no one comments on it unless they're hugging me or right next to me, and I certainly don't gasp for breath in my own airspace the way I do with the vast majority of mainstream scents.

    Just another entry for the "everyone's skin is different" notebook, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell
    Imagine if Josh took a run at a dark rose fragrance.....I would think that No. 88 would have to hand over its darkest rose crown and weep.
    Oh, I wish! Rose is one of the few florals I really, really like.

  6. #726

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I don't think they're hard to wear. But, I can easily see why people don't like Slumberhouse. It's not the typical mainstream scent or even typical niche concentration, these are very powerful extrait and eau de parfum concentations. If you over-apply a Slumberhouse, you'll know you did, even after a shower. If you over-apply Bleu de Chanel, you might smell like "that cologne guy" for an hour or so. One could easily be off put by most of the Slumberhouse fragrances if they go the normal 4 sprays they usually do with an EDT.

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    You and me both. I'm blown away by all these people saying "Slumberhouse just projects and it's such a hard-to-wear BEAST OF A SCENT!" I can go into any Sephora and spray on one small test spray of any of the regular scents people round here wear, a John Varvatos or a YSL or a Tom Ford or something, and it will be all over the room on me in the most obnoxious way. Slumberhouse except for Grev and Kere wraps me around close as a blanket; no one comments on it unless they're hugging me or right next to me, and I certainly don't gasp for breath in my own airspace the way I do with the vast majority of mainstream scents.

    Just another entry for the "everyone's skin is different" notebook, I guess.


    Oh, I wish! Rose is one of the few florals I really, really like.

  7. #727
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    287

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    If you over-apply a Slumberhouse, you'll know you did, even after a shower. If you over-apply Bleu de Chanel, you might smell like "that cologne guy" for an hour or so. One could easily be off put by most of the Slumberhouse fragrances if they go the normal 4 sprays they usually do with an EDT.
    I don't think I've ever applied four sprays of anything. Three is my limit. (I wear two to three of Sova, though.) But I well remember how one, single, tiny spray of Spicebomb lingered in my car making me gag for like a week after I tried it out the one time. (It was January. It was really cold for driving with the window down.) I smell Slumberhouse faintly in my clothes, but I have to stick my face in the fabric.

    But yes, I wasn't thinking of the more typical Basenoter If three sprays are good then eight is better! style of application. (Mind you, I don't really see how that would be much less gagworthy with 1 Million than Norne.)

  8. #728
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,846
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    To me...it isn't necessarily too projective...it's more like every note, every nuance is turned up full blast. In an orchestra, sometimes the brass section is barely audible, then the strings are quiet...Slumberhouse to me is an orchestra with every instrument blasting away at full volume, like if someone cranked up the volume to ear-bleed level during the tuning in of all the instruments.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  9. #729

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    To me...it isn't necessarily too projective...it's more like every note, every nuance is turned up full blast. In an orchestra, sometimes the brass section is barely audible, then the strings are quiet...Slumberhouse to me is an orchestra with every instrument blasting away at full volume, like if someone cranked up the volume to ear-bleed level during the tuning in of all the instruments.
    That describes Bond No. 9 to me (or even Tom Ford's Private Blends), but certainly not Slumberhouse. There are many notes in scents such as Sova that are incredibly subtle and nuanced (such as the araucaria or the acacia), and picking out something like the immortelle in Kere is very tricky indeed. It's one of the advantages to using naturals in that you get a total variance in volume as opposed to something like Bond in which there are no naturals and all fixatives designed to flatten everything to the same blasting level. It's kind of like music production in that Bond abuses the sh*t out of the digital compressor in an attempt to fix the terrible mess that lives underneath whereas Slumberhouse is an analog record, made in the '60s, with impeccable, precise musicianship that harmonizes and work together in a totally organic manner to allow for a full spectrum of dynamics and fluidity.

    I'm wearing Baque today (it's rainy out) and I've gone through no less than three totally different stages of scent at this point. I currently smell like milky apricots, whereas earlier I was smelling pretty smoky. Yet in between all of these shifts, I only catch bare whiffs of the ambergris and parchment notes -- but they're there, they're just very low in the mix.
    Last edited by deadidol; 7th May 2013 at 12:01 AM.

  10. #730
    Dependent Possum-Pie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Near Gettysburg
    Posts
    1,846
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    That describes Bond No. 9 to me (or even Tom Ford's Private Blends), but certainly not Slumberhouse. There are many notes in scents such as Sova that are incredibly subtle and nuanced (such as the araucaria or the acacia), and picking out something like the immortelle in Kere is very tricky indeed. It's one of the advantages to using naturals in that you get a total variance in volume as opposed to something like Bond in which there are no naturals and all fixatives designed to flatten everything to the same blasting level. It's kind of like music production in that Bond abuses the sh*t out of the digital compressor in an attempt to fix the terrible mess that lives underneath whereas Slumberhouse is an analog record, made in the '60s, with impeccable, precise musicianship that harmonizes and work together in a totally organic manner to allow for a full spectrum of dynamics and fluidity.

    I'm wearing Baque today (it's rainy out) and I've gone through no less than three totally different stages of scent at this point. I currently smell like milky apricots, whereas earlier I was smelling pretty smoky. Yet in between all of these shifts, I only catch bare whiffs of the ambergris and parchment notes -- but they're there, they're just very low in the mix.
    Perhaps...It was like putting pure essential oils that I dilute in a fragrance warmer right onto my skin. The wafting smell dispersed in a warmer is wonderful, but putting it straight on my skin overwhelms my nose. I own Amouage Tribute, and if I accidentaly put too much on, and it is hot and 'close' It overwhelms my nose also.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

  11. #731

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I own Amouage Tribute, and if I accidentaly put too much on, and it is hot and 'close' It overwhelms my nose also.
    Amouage is similarly powerful in this regard, and in the wrong conditions, can melt your face off!

  12. #732
    Super Member CMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Has anyone ever layered Slumberhouse fragrances together? It may be Basenotes blashphemy, but I'm thinking Baque and Jeke are calling to each other... Baque is like pipe tobacco sweetened with amber and apricot, which seems like it would harmonize well with Jeke's cigar tobacco sharpened by smoke and leather...

  13. #733
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    287

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I've layered Kere with other Slumberhouses and with other scents. The bitter herbal tang of the version I have goes particularly well with otherwise frail citrus cologne things.

    I don't know that I'd layer Baque, Jeke or Sova with any of each other myself as to me they seem like fragrance siblings - riffs on a theme, and each has enough going on to satisfy me on its own.

  14. #734
    Super Member CMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Despite CompassRose's advice, I gave Baque and Jeke a try together today. There was some discord for the first few hours, particularly between the Baque's apricot and Jeke's leather. Later in the day, they blended really nicely together, but lost much of the note distinction. I learned my lesson and I wouldn't recommend it, but it was a fun experiment!

  15. #735

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Too much for me...

    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Despite CompassRose's advice, I gave Baque and Jeke a try together today. There was some discord for the first few hours, particularly between the Baque's apricot and Jeke's leather. Later in the day, they blended really nicely together, but lost much of the note distinction. I learned my lesson and I wouldn't recommend it, but it was a fun experiment!

  16. #736

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Wearing Vikt today. Damn this is one fantastic fragrance.

    The aoud is definitely noticeable, especially to those who know how it smells, but the overwhelming feel of it is smoky wood with something challenging in there that gives it a little bite. It's not the aoud, there's something more astringent (almost sour) in there, that combines with the bay laurel and the aoud to give it a smell that's almost like a very lightly-spiced wine.
    This accord is most strong at the 3-4 hour mark, but never overpowers the fragrance, and I think is probably only detectable to the wearer.

    I have constantly said that this is my favourite from the house, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Remarkable.

  17. #737

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Anise possibly?

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Wearing Vikt today. Damn this is one fantastic fragrance.

    The aoud is definitely noticeable, especially to those who know how it smells, but the overwhelming feel of it is smoky wood with something challenging in there that gives it a little bite. It's not the aoud, there's something more astringent (almost sour) in there, that combines with the bay laurel and the aoud to give it a smell that's almost like a very lightly-spiced wine.
    This accord is most strong at the 3-4 hour mark, but never overpowers the fragrance, and I think is probably only detectable to the wearer.

    I have constantly said that this is my favourite from the house, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Remarkable.

  18. #738

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I don't think so; with Rive Gauche I'm getting better at picking up anise in fragrance.

    I might have a brain tumour, but I get something in there that makes the heart of Vikt remind me of the bottom of a wine cork.

  19. #739
    Super Member CMcG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Wearing Vikt today. Damn this is one fantastic fragrance.

    ...
    It's a pity that one has been discontinued

  20. #740

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    This, Baque and Rume. All very disappointing.

    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    It's a pity that one has been discontinued

  21. #741

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    It's a pity that one has been discontinued
    Yeah, but it's not like the current fragrances aren't just as terrific in their own right.
    I'd hate to see people assigning value to the discontinued Slumberhouse frags primarily because they aren't readily available anymore. I sometimes cynically suspect that it's what happens with a few other discontinued frags.

    For what it's worth, I find myself preferring Jeke over Ore.

    I say experience all of them you can, and if you find a current Slumberhouse that really resonates (or should that be resin-ates *hangs head in shame*) with you, nab a full bottle as it may well get replaced in the future. I'm really tempted to pick up a backup of Jeke.

  22. #742
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,680

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I bought Vikt as an oil when it was available for a short time and glad I did. It's remarkable. I really look forward to what is coming from Josh...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

  23. #743
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I recently made my first purchases from Slumberhouse (Sova and Pear + Olive) and am very pleased with the fragrances and their tenacity. My only complaint is the samples I received are of fragrances that are no longer in production. I would have preferred samples of Jeke and Norne. Chances are I would have sprung for them as well. Please do not think that I am attacking the house; this is not the case. I'm just not sure I understand this from a business perspective.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

  24. #744

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    I recently made my first purchases from Slumberhouse (Sova and Pear + Olive) and am very pleased with the fragrances and their tenacity. My only complaint is the samples I received are of fragrances that are no longer in production. I would have preferred samples of Jeke and Norne. Chances are I would have sprung for them as well. Please do not think that I am attacking the house; this is not the case. I'm just not sure I understand this from a business perspective.
    Oh it didn't come across like you were attacking the house at all to me. So you bought bottles of Sova and P&O and got samples of things like Sana, Rume etc? Cos yeah that's a little odd.

    Maybe Josh thought you'd already tried the other two in the range, since you were buying FBs of two of them? That's only a possible explanation, though.

    Unless Josh is pulling a swifty on us and he's planning on re-releasing some of the fragrances of which he sent you samples......gentlemen, start your speculations.

  25. #745

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    I recently made my first purchases from Slumberhouse (Sova and Pear + Olive) and am very pleased with the fragrances and their tenacity. My only complaint is the samples I received are of fragrances that are no longer in production. I would have preferred samples of Jeke and Norne. Chances are I would have sprung for them as well. Please do not think that I am attacking the house; this is not the case. I'm just not sure I understand this from a business perspective.
    I didn't think you were attacking the house. What samples did you receive? I might be happy to relieve you of them. Seriously though - I've mentioned it here before and I will say it again - where Slumberhouse is concerned, I'm perfectly happy to receive samples that are no longer in production. If nothing else, it would be an opportunity to sample a part of Josh's work that is no longer readily available. Some of these scents have been talked about so much I would rather have tried them once than not at all. Or, as timdoeswell says, it could also be fodder for speculation.

  26. #746

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    ...where Slumberhouse is concerned, I'm perfectly happy to receive samples that are no longer in production.
    Look at how valuable vintage Tabarome is!
    I mean, from a purely economical viewpoint, those discontinued Slumberhouses are worth 1/4 of their weight in gold - a slightly used 30mL of Ore recently went for $282.

  27. #747
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    I didn't think you were attacking the house. What samples did you receive? I might be happy to relieve you of them. Seriously though - I've mentioned it here before and I will say it again - where Slumberhouse is concerned, I'm perfectly happy to receive samples that are no longer in production. If nothing else, it would be an opportunity to sample a part of Josh's work that is no longer readily available. Some of these scents have been talked about so much I would rather have tried them once than not at all. Or, as timdoeswell says, it could also be fodder for speculation.
    The samples are SANA and FLOU. Anyone else sampled these?
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

  28. #748

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    The samples are SANA and FLOU. Anyone else sampled these?
    What you got are sneak previews of something he's just remade with even higher quality materials. Technically, these are available, although I'm surprised you didn't get samples of Jeke and Norne.

  29. #749
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28,085

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I might have a brain tumour, but I get something in there that makes the heart of Vikt remind me of the bottom of a wine cork.
    This made me giggle. LOL
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  30. #750
    Dependent Birdboy48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bend Oregon USA
    Posts
    1,134

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    What you got are sneak previews of something he's just remade with even higher quality materials.
    Given the way Josh has operated in the past, I suspect this is the explanation. Perhaps not remade with higher quality materials, but old ideas revisited, and brought closer to their original intention.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000