Code of Conduct
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Slumberhouse

Default Re: Slumberhouse

I'm wearing Grev today and wondering why more people here don't enjoy it. Sure, it's not the typical thick, resinous, syrupy concoction that projects like mad and lives for days on your skin...But I'm really finding Grev to be quite nice. It's a clean scent that smells like fir, light clove and metal accords. When this all mixes together, I get transposed to the mountain forests of the Pacific Northwest. Mossy vegetation, tall firs, and a mountain stream that brings some weird watery freshness. I think that weird freshness comes from the cloves in this one...I'm not a huge fan of clove, but I think when they're used right, they can create a strong image like the one Grev brings to my mind.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    What you got are sneak previews of something he's just remade with even higher quality materials. Technically, these are available, although I'm surprised you didn't get samples of Jeke and Norne.
    I see. It just threw me because they are not listed for sale anywhere on the website. In fact, only Sova, P+O, Norne and Jeke are currently available.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I'm wearing Grev today and wondering why more people here don't enjoy it. Sure, it's not the typical thick, resinous, syrupy concoction that projects like mad and lives for days on your skin...But I'm really finding Grev to be quite nice.
    LOL, I have a sample of the original formulation, and wrote a review saying it was what the bad-guys from the Mad Max movies might wear when they wanted to get dressy. The original version would burn a hole right through your wrist, and was probably most suitable for a day of working outdoors in Antarctica.

Good to hear that it's been toned down a little.

With all the various attempts over time at refining a certain idea, it makes it hard to talk about individual Slumberhouse things by name. Obtaining only the very most recent samples is probably the only way to cogently discuss the nature of current purchases. I tend to think of older samples more in terms of interesting artifacts, pointing the way towards what the current iteration might be like now.

Still waiting to see Brusse come back around again. There was a shocking thing, if there ever was one.

I'm not sure which version I'm wearing. I bought it from indiescents when it was discontinued. It's a smaller bottle, with the circular "printed Grev name patch." I guess I'm just a bad ass, but I'd say Vikt is more Mad Max

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    LOL, I have a sample of the original formulation, and wrote a review saying it was what the bad-guys from the Mad Max movies might wear when they wanted to get dressy. The original version would burn a hole right through your wrist, and was probably most suitable for a day of working outdoors in Antarctica.

Good to hear that it's been toned down a little.

Still waiting to see Brusse come back around again. There was a shocking thing, if there ever was one.
    Anyone have any thoughts on Brosse? There doesn't seem to be very much about it online but it sounds delicious from Josh's description here: http://slumber33.tumblr.com/post/12635082869.

I wonder a) if he's ever going to bring it back; b) if he's ever going to try composing another fragrance under similar circumstances (since he did say he's "looking forward to doing it again" (http://notablescents.net/2012/04/27/...b-slumberhouse); and c) if he blasts any of his other scents with light as he did Brosse.

With all the various attempts over time at refining a certain idea, it makes it hard to talk about individual Slumberhouse things by name. Obtaining only the very most recent samples is probably the only way to cogently discuss the nature of current purchases. I tend to think of older samples more in terms of interesting artifacts, pointing the way towards what the current iteration might be like now.
    True. For that reason though, I don't mind receiving repeat samples of his fragrances every now and again, if only to see how they've evolved since the last sample.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    The samples are SANA and FLOU. Anyone else sampled these?
    I have samples of the two on their way but I imagine it will be some time before they arrive. I've tried an old iteration of Sana and it was all sweet overripe fruit on me. So what do you think of Sana and Flou?
    Currently wearing: Askew by Humiecki & Graef

Flou, the last time I tried it was grapes and flowers...that's really all I got from it. I did see that someone is selling a bottle on the boards here, almost bought it myself but to be honest, it didn't jump out at me and tell me to buy it like his other fragrances have. Flou also struck me as quite feminine, not something that I would wear. The bottle of Flou is still up here.

Someone is selling Vikt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    So what do you think of Sana and Flou?

I had not idea that Rume was available as an extrait before it was discontinued! I love the the EdP.

I bit on the bottle of Vikt. I adore the decant that I have. I have extensive experience with oud oil but don't get the full oud vibe with Vikt. It's darker wood, spices and some menthol to my nose without any overwhelming note that smells like any variety of real oud oil that I have tried but Josh is a masterful blender so I could surely be wrong plus it's likely that the oud is synthetic,(not a knock at all....real oud oil would be prohibitively expensive for him to use in a "mass produced" fragrance).

Eki and Flou have been the most feminine Slumberhouse scents that I have tried to date. Eki more so.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Wearing Norne now, and my impression is almost exact as that with Jeke.
    Finally grabbed my "Jeke" sample again for a second spin and I found an explanation for why my experience with Norne was exactly the same...
    IMG_20130511_153344.jpg

I want to smell Jeke.

Finally grabbed my "Jeke" sample again for a second spin and I found an explanation for why my experience with Norne was exactly the same...
    IMG_20130511_153344.jpg

I want to smell Jeke.
    What am I supposed to be seeing here? That's how one of my Jeke samples looks.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Palm trees. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    same here --->>>

If i had sampled this house b4 I had bought my other parfums, i might not have gone to other houses at all...
    this

I agree with this sentiment. Since sampling Pear and Olive, Sova, and Jeke I have no real urge to purchase full bottles of anything else until I own those. On the other hand it takes sampling a lot of stuff you don't like to truly appreciate the ones you like when you come across them (see: Slumberhouse).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    The samples are SANA and FLOU. Anyone else sampled these?
    Wearing Sana for the first time right now... and I'll be blunt: I hate it. Let me preface by saying a) I'm a big Slumberhouse fan, and b) I'm not crazy about most florals. From the time I put it on 7 hours ago all I get is urinal cake (minus actual urine). The scent floods my senses with cheap floral air fresheners and potpourri one might come across in a public bathroom. Sounds a little harsh, I know. But I'm just being honest. I cannot relate at all with this offering.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Math You View Post
    this

I agree with this sentiment. Since sampling Pear and Olive, Sova, and Jeke I have no real urge to purchase full bottles of anything else until I own those. On the other hand it takes sampling a lot of stuff you don't like to truly appreciate the ones you like when you come across them (see: Slumberhouse).
    I am eagerly and (not so) patiently awaiting the arrival of Sova.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I'm not sure which version I'm wearing. I bought it from indiescents when it was discontinued. It's a smaller bottle, with the circular "printed Grev name patch." I guess I'm just a bad ass, but I'd say Vikt is more Mad Max
    Vikt is totally Mad Max, it even has a strong metallic accord to it that seems fitting.

I have a question about Kere - how many versions of this were there? I have a bottle that smells like immortelle - is this the one that supposedly has sandalwood in it? It sounds like there were two, possibly three versions of Kere, is that correct?

1. 2011 formulation with apricot, aldehydes, honeysuckle, and hay
    2. Version with immortelle minus curry?
    3. Latest formulation that is medicinal

Are #1 and #2 the same? Which one is supposed to have sandalwood in it?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Vikt is totally Mad Max, it even has a strong metallic accord to it that seems fitting.

I have a question about Kere - how many versions of this were there? I have a bottle that smells like immortelle - is this the one that supposedly has sandalwood in it? It sounds like there were two, possibly three versions of Kere, is that correct?

I have two, but both of mine are heavily curried and the immortelle is really hard to pick out. I'd say ask Josh, but he's AWOL right now it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post

I think the most recent one is the one with Mysore sandalwood in it.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Yeah, I'm not saying there aren't different colours of each frag (due to differing recipes*) but my Jeke sample and bottle look very dark in the shade, but a dark green like yours in the light.

My Norne sample, however, is also very dark in the shade, but a brownish colour in the light.

I think you've got the right juice in that sample.

*I refuse to call them batch variations, for obvious reasons

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Yeah, I'm not saying there aren't different colours of each frag (due to differing recipes*) but my Jeke sample and bottle look very dark in the shade, but a dark green like yours in the light.

My Norne sample, however, is also very dark in the shade, but a brownish colour in the light.

I think you've got the right juice in that sample.
    Yeah, I jumped the gun on that one before actually smelling them side by side.

The similarity was uncanny at first though.

I don't seem to get a distinct vanilla on Jeke.

I'm curious about the brown version now. Sigh.

I wanna get another Slumberhouse and I think it'll be Norne next - unless what's coming comes out before I pull the trigger and it compels me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Math You View Post
    YES. The way it's been going, Josh is actually helping me save some money (as long as I don't buy several bottles of Slumberhouse all at once). I've a number of decants I had been planning to get full bottles of, but revisiting them, I find I've just about lost my love for them now that the likes of Sova, Norne and Jeke have set the standard.

On the other hand, I've smelled the old Sana (though not the new iteration) and can't say I'm cracked on it either.

Yeah, I jumped the gun on that one before actually smelling them side by side.

The similarity was uncanny at first though.

I don't seem to get a distinct vanilla on Jeke.

I'm curious about the brown version now. Sigh.

I wanna get another Slumberhouse and I think it'll be Norne next - unless what's coming comes out before I pull the trigger and it compels me more.
    My Jeke and Norne are different enough for me to tell them apart any day. I do occasionally wonder about colour variations and why they seem to change so much, but I have bits of green Sova and brown Sova and they essentially smell like one and the same thing.

I have both versions of Rume. I'll have to test the extrait soon.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I had not idea that Rume was available as an extrait before it was discontinued! I love the the EdP.

I bit on the bottle of Vikt. I adore the decant that I have. I have extensive experience with oud oil but don't get the full oud vibe with Vikt. It's darker wood, spices and some menthol to my nose without any overwhelming note that smells like any variety of real oud oil that I have tried but Josh is a masterful blender so I could surely be wrong plus it's likely that the oud is synthetic,(not a knock at all....real oud oil would be prohibitively expensive for him to use in a "mass produced" fragrance).

Eki and Flou have been the most feminine Slumberhouse scents that I have tried to date. Eki more so.

guys, is there anywhere in Europe where I could find this fragrances? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nashulian View Post
    guys, is there anywhere in Europe where I could find this fragrances? thanks!
    I've ordered straight from http://slumberhou.se/ seems to be the best way, emailed Josh and he said he had no problems shipping to Europe.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    I've ordered straight from http://slumberhou.se/ seems to be the best way, emailed Josh and he said he had no problems shipping to Europe.
    Thanks, Mick_Trick! How long it took from the moment you placed the order and the moment you got the product?

Ive being eyeing Vikt for a long time now, waiting to pull the plug.

Unfortunately, it's been discontinued. There was another Basenoter selling a bottle last week which I linked in this thread for those interested. This one might be a little difficult to find. You might have some luck posting on the Fragrances Wanted thread. I've purchased from other members that way. I'm hoping this is one that Josh releases in small batches over time...it's one of my favorites in the Slumberhouse line.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    Ive being eyeing Vikt for a long time now, waiting to pull the plug.

How long it took from the moment you placed the order and the moment you got the product?
    Best to contact Josh about that one, methinks. The delivery part of it shouldn't take longer than it would for any parcel to reach your part of the world from the Pacific Northwest, but the bottleneck is probably at Slumberhouse itself. I get the sense that Josh still handles operations entirely by himself and needs a bit more time to pack and fulfil orders than we've come to expect in this day and age. So it's probably best to check with him, especially if it's something you need urgently.

Thanks, Mick_Trick! How long it took from the moment you placed the order and the moment you got the product?
    Dispatched and received tracking number within 7 days of placing order. Still on route, expect to receive this week...

#RubbingHandsTogether...

- - - Updated - - -

So my parcel from Slumberhouse turned up yesterday, yay!

One full bottle of Norne and a set of samples.

Only had a chance last night for a one spray sampling of Norne, my very initial impressions as follows:

As someone who has spend much of my youth cavorting around in conifer forests during day and night for much of my youth, I know what they smell like... Norne on the initial spray has that deep resinous and sour smell from fresh resin taken straight from the tree bark and rubbed between your fingers... after a couple of hours the sour note of fresh resin has receded somewhat and a different aromatic takes center stage... It reminds me of when you have a bonfire in the forest, and someone throws a wet fir branch on... just at that moment there is a aroma that comes from the burning wet fir, part aromatic steam, part sour hot resin, and part wet smoke.

Incredible the imagery contained in this beautiful fragrance... I am looking forward to really getting to know this one and the other samples I have received.

Big thumbs up to Josh and Slumberhouse, beautiful work...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Look at how valuable vintage Tabarome is!
    I mean, from a purely economical viewpoint, those discontinued Slumberhouses are worth 1/4 of their weight in gold - a slightly used 30mL of Ore recently went for $282.
    Holy shit, for real?

How much would someone pay for this:

the bottles are monaxares and grev

the samples are: jeke, ore, flou, tarnet, autumn suede (x2), vanille no.1, gris, kumele vineto, and some ambergris tincture.

Fuck man, I can't believe I burnt all of my slumberhouse candle!!

A nice bump here for the original thread!!!
    Currently wearing: Bois des Îles by Chanel

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by salted33 View Post
    Holy shit, for real?

How much would someone pay for this:

the bottles are monaxares and grev

the samples are: jeke, ore, flou, tarnet, autumn suede (x2), vanille no.1, gris, kumele vineto, and some ambergris tincture.

Fuck man, I can't believe I burnt all of my slumberhouse candle!!
    Samples do not sell that well compared to full bottles. Grev isn't an easy sell, either. The other I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Samples do not sell that well compared to full bottles. Grev isn't an easy sell, either. The other I have no clue.
    These are all from circa 2009, when Josh was still using etsy and mostly promoting himself on black metal forums (lol) someone should shell out for 'historical interest'