Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Slumberhouse

Default Re: Slumberhouse

I hated Ore. Almost threw up. I enjoyed Vikt quite a bit.
    I am

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Do they ship internationally and for how much? I sent them an e-mail yesterday, but haven't got a response (yes, I know I should wait for another day or two).
    Yes they ship Internationally. I ordered the set of samples and brosse, sana and flou samples and the shipping charge to UK was $12.

finally received my order from the big sale. I bought Jeke, Rume, and Vikt. he tossed in a cute little mini bottle of Ore and the sample of his unnamed amber.
    -the amber... nice, but I'll take Lonestar Memories any day over it. Its like the Tauer on steroids, and crystal meth. too much for too long.
    -Jeke and Vikt are incredible. if anyone hasn't tried this man's offerings, and you are a fan of Serge Lutens-- as am I-- by all means try them.
    -Rume, however, is the magnificent one, to me. incredibly different from anything I've ever encountered. akin to finding a resinous jewel in an antique chest. I could not stop smelling myself all day.
    -I had specifically avoided buying Ore (cocoa overload sounded like A- or B-men on bad acid) but it turns out that it's far more interesting than just that. I'm glad to have tried it.
    overall, this man's stuff is way on my radar now. At full price, this stuff is worth it. Fans of Tauer, S. Lutens, Laurie Erickson take notice. This perfumer is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Oaksbluff View Post
    -Jeke and Vikt are incredible. if anyone hasn't tried this man's offerings, and you are a fan of Serge Lutens-- as am I-- by all means try them.
    Any specific notes on Jeke? I limited myself to two (Vikt and Ore), but was disappointed when I didn't get a sample of the Jeke - it also sounds up my alley. Thanks for any insight.

I'll wear it again tonight, after dinner. but, I'll tell you this: I found Jeke and Vikt to be kinda similar. don't kick yourself for not having gotten it.

Jeke and Vikt are cousins but not twins. There's this smokiness of Jeke that's amazing. It's my favorite of the line. Ore is my second favorite - surprising to me because I usually don't like cocoa notes.

Over on one of the larger online blogs, when referring to several of the earlier Slumberhouse efforts, I found this quote by one of their more well-known reviewers:

"...when I tried Kote, Mur, and Verg I thought that this might actually be the first real example of olfactory outsider art."

A pretty heady thing to be saying alright.

I'd love to start sampling this house, if anybody wants to trade samples check out my sig at the bottom and PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I vote for VIKT. This is the standout of the whole line IMO. I've sampled pretty much all of them with the exception of Brosse and Sana which I'm supposed to recieve pretty soon...
    Just wondering if you received Brosse and Sana, alfarom. I thought your descriptions of the other scents were well done and would be curious to get your thoughts on these.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Not Yet, UngerWoo and I can't actually sollicit Josh as he was sending them for free...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Alfarom,Since you are from Europe, Could you tell me how long did it take to arrive your order ? It is been over 20 days and mine did not arrive. Thanks !

They're very slow. Be trustful

Received my Rume today. Not much resins on me, just tons of thick honey.
    I liked the stuff, heavy as i want it to be.
    The dark juice scared me, will it stain the clothes?

They includeded for free 1 mini (i think 5ml) of Jeke and 3 samples, Brosse, Sana and a misterious unlabeled.

Jeke
    its the one that i liked the most, more than my Rume. A sweet boozy tobacco leather. Great stuff, for my tastes, at least. Heavy and dense, but not thick.
    Brosse i didnt liked at all and even will try to describe, but looks something incomplete.
    Sana is good, sweet and, well, kinda coniferous?
    The unlabeled sample i didnt liked at all, smell like rubber, latex (condom)... What was that one?

Quite liked the house, i liked Rume, loved Jeke and liked a bit Sana.
    Will buy Jeke for sure. Now i want to try the others from the house, specially Vikt and Ore.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Received my Rume today. Not much resins on me, just tons of thick honey.
    Honey? Funny, I don't get any honey out of Rume. To me is mainly a spicy-resinous concoction.

Honey? Funny, I don't get any honey out of Rume. To me is mainly a spicy-resinous concoction.
    I was with about 6 different new smells at my arms, so maybe i was wrong, i will retest.

Do you know what that unlabeled sample that smell like condom was?

Do you know what that unlabeled sample that smell like condom was?
    Sorry Daniel but I don't know what that is...

My rume is totally black, not dark orange/ambar, like the image of the mini that Al Gae posted.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/273...=1#post2384362

Maybe i received a mislabeled bottle?
    There is a thick honeyed in their line?

Got my bottles last week....havent had a chance to fully preview Ore but did get the burnt, dry cocoa from it along with some medicinal notes, have to give it a full wear.

Jeke is some powerhouse stuff...i usually never go light on any trigger but with this one if you d more than 2 you're in for some super rude awakening.....Unrefined, in your face spices and i would say the note of burnt rubber persists throughout as the main theme.....if you thought there is note of burnt rubber in Bulgari Black, well in this one there is an entire rubber factory in flames......i seriously would recommend to anyone who loves that burnt rubber note to try out Jeke as i am not much of a fan of that one.

Vikt - by far the standout in this line...strong, heady, powerful, resinous....starts out super strong(as all of them do) but within 10 minutes it smoothes out and you get wonderful, bombastic mix of spices and leather that floats in the air around you....surprisingly easy to wear but a definite cold weather fragrance.

I would say no matter what, these are definite try before you buy deal and is not made for typical "what fragrance will get me laid" crowd.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Wearing Rume today for the first time.

Oh god, the stuff is strong for the first 2 hours. I used 5 sprays (usually i do more than 7 with almost every fragrance). Also, the sprayer isnt spray that much, so i think ive used about 3 sprays of a regular sprayer.

My girlfriend almost instantly asked me what is that honeycomb that im wearing.
    A coworker comment about a strong smell of honey (them i think he discovered that was my smell and he dont commented more)

Its it, almost pure honey from Rume? I dont get much resins, maybe some sweet spices, maybe something like clove, but all dominated by the thick and dense honey.
    Its that?

Have a 15ml bottle of Flou. It's good but not for me. Was given samples of Vikt and Ore - Vikt is fucking crazy, and has a weird vegetable note which I can't quite put my finger on, but it's still good. Ore is delicious. Gonna put in a bottle/sample order once Brosse becomes available again in March.

Wearing Rume today for the first time.

Oh god, the stuff is strong for the first 2 hours. I used 5 sprays (usually i do more than 7 with almost every fragrance). Also, the sprayer isnt spray that much, so i think ive used about 3 sprays of a regular sprayer.

My girlfriend almost instantly asked me what is that honeycomb that im wearing.
    A coworker comment about a strong smell of honey (them i think he discovered that was my smell and he dont commented more)

Its it, almost pure honey from Rume? I dont get much resins, maybe some sweet spices, maybe something like clove, but all dominated by the thick and dense honey.
    Its that?
    I believe the limited release Miel is a honey-dominated scent. You might want to write them and see if they sent you a bottle by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I believe the limited release Miel is a honey-dominated scent. You might want to write them and see if they sent you a bottle by mistake.
    I will contact them. My Rume is TOTALLY black, even when it touch the skin. I think it can spot the clothes.

Rume owners can confirm that the juice is completely dark black?

I will contact them. My Rume is TOTALLY black, even when it touch the skin. I think it can spot the clothes. Rume owners can confirm that the juice is completely dark black?
    No sir, it is not.

Some pics side by side with Jeke

Not ambar as jeke or as the rume posted earlier.

Can someone that have 30ml Rume post a pic of it?

Josh makes these things in small batches, and when it comes time to make more, I suspect that he fine-tunes them a little each time. Not in the sense that we normally think of reformulations, but more as a means to get them to be more of what he hopes them to be.

Which may be what's going on here ?

If you read their personal statement, it's clear that they are coming at things from a totally different place than most of the conventional houses.

Which may not be a bad thing, in my book.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 21st January 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Josh makes these things in small batches, .
    ................. and there will INEVITABLY be variations

I have had Grev on overnight and even though I'm getting over a nasty sinus infection am happy to report it bears a strong resemblance to Creed's Green Valley. Bright green but not bitter with hints of mint and is going on about eight hours now.

I am currently wearing/sampling Vikt and I just had to say that this is comforting the space where Nomad Tea used to be. Soothing a broken heart.'
    I am

I have tried four of these and my favorites are Kote and Vikt. Haven't seem many mentions of Kote but I really like the tobacco note in this - very warm and exceptional. Vikt is kind of a wild ride but I like the odd mix of dark greens. Do I smell anise in Vikt? The dark greens have a very anise like scent that is quite unusual.

I've tried their sample pack + Brosse and I could say that the medicinal vibe (in all frags) is maybe too strong . Grev and Vikt are my favorites, I mean the most wearable, followed by Jeke.

I haven't tried Kote yet, sounds very promising Buzzlepuff. I somehow agree with the anisic aspect of Vikt, but I tend to perceive it more as licorice...

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    I could say that the medicinal vibe (in all frags) is maybe too strong.
    Josh is a clove freak...

How about the Brosse longevity and sillage? It supposed to be good ,but I find it quiet weak . All lasted over 8 hours on my skin ,not Brosse

To anyone who might be interested...For my new excursus on Slumberhouse check here

Sound Scents

Now that I have gotten back from Vegas, my Norne sample was in today's mail waiting for me. I eagerly opened it up and to my surprise, Josh sent me another sample with it gratis. The writing smudged a bit in transit, but I think it says "Baque." I have an email in to Slumberhouse to get clarification of the name, as it is not on their web page and I have not heard anything about it. I have Norne on my left wrist and "Baque" on my right. I like Norne, and think it will appeal to folks who like scents like original Polo (coniferous), but want something different... "Baque" is a completely different kind of scent from Norne... I am getting a burnt rubber accord from it, but unlike the one I got when trying Memoir Man from Amouage that I could not deal with, this one is much more pleasant. I like both scents, but honestly do not know which one I like more (Norne is more to my personal preferences though)... Neither early on is striking me as a "must have" but I may pick-up the winner of the two as the Slumberhouse prices are quite reasonable. A few more wears of each to test development and longevity may be needed to sort things out. Whatever the final outcome, this is a promising start to my first experience with this small house.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dependent

Thanks for your input drseid. I like Polo except for its birch tar. I sure hope Norne doesn't have any. It's sounding better and better!

Just got an email from my bldg that my samples arrived. Can't wait to try them.

Thanks for the impressions, drseid.

My bottle of Norne and Miel came today, along with samples of "Baque" and "Iska" which are apparently due out later this year. I haven't had time to try Norne or the samples, but Miel is as gorgeous as the sample I've been nursing - a rich perfume oil featuring black tea absolute and honey. I plan to report back soon with impressions of Norne and the samples of "Baque" and "Iska".

Also, from the slumberhouse twitter feed on Wednesday, 29 Feb: "Keep your eyes on @indiescents next week for a Slumberhouse exclusive".

here's an excerpt of an e-mail Josh sent me re A3 (a misterious sample he included in my last shipment)...

"...A3 is an amber base I used to create Baque. A3 is made smokey/leathery by its use of actual amber oil (fossilized conifer resin) and sweetened with labdanum, ambergris tincture and benzoin. Baque has been slightly modified since I sent your sample, but it is essentially a honeyed tobacco leaf perfume build upon the aforementioned amber base. Baque is a more feminine leaning tobacco fragrance whereas Miel, a new perfume oil I'm preparing to release, is a more masculine leaning tobacco fragrance which is built upon notes of black tea, honey and castoreum..."

Thank you for posting the excerpt, alfarom! Great info in there. That A3 amber is some hugely intense smokey/leathery stuff! I received one of those samples, too. Interesting that it ended up being the theme for a few variations. I haven't tried many of the honey fragrances on the market, but Miel just nails it for me. Maybe I'll try other honey-centric fragrances, but I have a feeling that I'll want all of them to be Miel. I know he's had a difficult time obtaining and/or creating some of the materials for Miel, but I wish he could/would make a parfum spray out of the oil. I think I've mentioned this every time I've mentioned Miel, but in the older sample I have, there is this fantastic tobacco note that I think he called "cigarette accord" on the blog last year, and it's so perfect with the honey and black tea absolute.

you're welcome blacksun! I still have to go through my samples of A3 and Baque but found Norne to be pretty fine. I still believe that Ore and Vikt are the standouts of the whole line but I guess Norne can please more than one...

Sound Scents

I just heard back from Josh at Sumberhouse about Baque. He gives a little further insight into the scent and its imminent release...

Josh wrote:
    "Baque is an amber/vanilla/tobacco flower perfume that will be an exclusive for Indiescents and should be available from then either later next week or early the following week. It comes in 50ml size."

While he did not mention it specifically in the email sent to me, assuming the information he sent Alfarom still holds and they plan on targeting Baque to women, it will be interesting to see how successful they are with that strategy. While Baque is not really to my personal preferences, I find it a very well-done scent (though I must have missed the vanilla). That said, it is really hard for me to picture a woman wearing this, as I find it definitely leans heavily on the masculine side of the spectrum (if a fragrance could actually have a gender, of course). I definitely could see men enjoying the scent plenty.

As for me, I am enjoying the coniferous Norne more as it is more to my tastes, and I think as the scent progressed, I enjoyed it even more. I stand by my earlier statement that I do not feel it is a "must have" (at least not for me), but it is a very solid release at a fair price that folks looking for a different take on a scent like original Polo will most likely enjoy. Nicely done, Slumberhouse, IMO. May get a buy from me at this price in the future.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dependent

Got my samples last night too. Baque seems unisex to me. I agree Norne is the standout. Though I don't much relation to Polo which has strong herbal notes along with the pine. Norne is mostly spruce absolute to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Norne is mostly spruce absolute to my nose.
    Yep...coniferous galore. A tad too sweet to my taste, though...

Blog Entries

Mmmmmm. Sounds nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Mmmmmm. Sounds nice!
    One thng is for sure Redneck, wether you'll like the fragrance or not, this guy is fantastic. One of the most genuine approach to perfumery in years...very passionate, honest, generous. The brand has an overall, post-punk/DIY (sort of indie rock) vibe that's irresistible

Dependent

Strange, it smells like unsweetened spruce to me. And I'm usually hypersensitive to sweet notes. (Sometimes I wish Yatagan had LESS styrax and geranium etc)

Strange, it smells like unsweetened spruce to me. And I'm usually hypersensitive to sweet notes. (Sometimes I wish Yatagan had LESS styrax and geranium etc)
    It has an overall balmy vibe that I tend to associate with sweetness. I got the same vibe also from Vikt (despite being not at all similar as a fragrance). To me, the opposite of sweetness is something a-là French Lover or Complex.

Dependent

It has an overall balmy vibe that I tend to associate with sweetness. I got the same vibe also from Vikt (despite being not at all similar as a fragrance). To me, the opposite of sweetness is something a-là French Lover or Complex.
    Right on. I agree that French Lover and Complex are not sweet.

Blog Entries

One thng is for sure Redneck, wether you'll like the fragrance or not, this guy is fantastic. One of the most genuine approach to perfumery in years...very passionate, honest, generous. The brand has an overall, post-punk/DIY (sort of indie rock) vibe that's irresistible
    That's great! Even though I'm something of a sucker for mainstream stuff, I love to keep the rest of the field in perspective. The closest to Slumberhouse that I've found would probably be Adam Gottschalk, but he gravitates toward floral notes (he has a very nice amber called Ares, however). I think Slumberhouse is working closer to my core loves in niche-land. Anything accused of being reminiscent of Polo has a head start toward me loving it, too!

Three favorites from Slumberhouse are Norne, Rume and Vikt - in that order. I've tried all of them except for Sana. The others (Jeke, Ore, Grev, Kote, Miel, Baque) are all pretty good too, but are not fragrances I will wear much. I've bought from the Slumberhouse website and also from IndieScents - an online dealer who sometimes still has stock of fragrances like Ore and Kote that have been discontinued. Each new one he comes out with is an improvement, imo. Norne being my favorite one. The company has a very genuine feel about it and I like their house note (pine and tar) that seems to be common to most of those I like.

How cute.

Norne is making me feel like I just got back from a day of lumberjacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    How cute.

Norne is making me feel like I just got back from a day of lumberjacking.
    In a good way?

In a good way?
    It's a lot more civilized than I thought it would be. Undecided as of yet.

My favorites so far are Blarg, Noosh, and Gvut.

In a good way?
    I hope so, will look into these. I read up on the notes and see if any intrigue me to buy the sample pack from Slumberhouse.

Duplicate post...

Dependent

Grev's drydown is VERY rich and heady ... the smell coming off my blotter fan was pretty great, that rich amber mixing with the woods of some others to create a round balsamic almost gourmand accord

Actually Brian I heard that the names of the fragrances are all streets in Portland.

don't tell Brian I just completely made that up
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 10th March 2012 at 08:51 PM.

I wore Norne yesterday and liked it quite a lot. Once the opening rush of pine/spruce burns off, the drydown is a spicy/peppery/resinous conifer incense and I really like it. Josh is a master of these warm resinous drydowns, which is what I appreciate most in Jeke and Rume. I'm curious to see how these perform in the warmer weather. I haven't tried the samples of Baque and Iska very extensively yet, but plan to soon.
    Last edited by blacksun; 6th March 2012 at 07:59 PM.

Actually Brian I heard that the names of the fragrances are all streets in Portland.

don't tell Brian I just completely made that up
    For a minute there you almost ruined my fantasy of SNL's Stefon announcing each of them as "New York's hottest nightclub is...".

Wrote my initial opinions of all 7 Slumberhouse fragrances here

too long to copy and paste!