Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Slumberhouse

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    Yep. Because, ultimately, fragrance is a subjective thing, and my subjective experience is that that is not the case. I have received more compliments in a few months of wearing Slumberhouse, like Octavarium, than in my entire lifetime before -- not that I was wearing any expansive range before, but nothing else I've ever worn has drawn this much positive attention. It has come from people who have never expressed any interest in fragrance whatsoever; from people who have openly stated their dislike of most fragrances; from people who wear the name-brand scents of mall stores.
    Fragrances are subjective, and when wearing quite a few of the samples I received I was met with revulsion. Granted, that's happened with a few other niche samples as well (and I would say the same about them as I've said about Slumberhouse), my subjective experiences are as telling as yours. But I'm not saying everyone will be repulsed by what Slumberhouse has to offer, I'm simply saying that due to the high concentration and strength of the product, many will think it too risky to wear when they have plenty of safer alternatives to turn to for a fraction of the price.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    First, logical fallacies are a part of philosophy. Hence why college courses have it in PHL 101, like I took.

Second, your argument is invalid because you could input literally any other niche fragrance house and have the same conclusion. Thus, they are not meant to "appeal to mainstream" people, which you said they are before.

Third, when you quoted someone who said they'd describe them as beautiful, how does that mean they don't smell good? How? I use "beautiful" when a fragrance smells so good it is literally a thing of beauty. Or for that matter stunning?

Forth and most importantly, the point of the fragrances is, to my understanding, be interesting and unique, not something a million people want to wear. If you want to wear a fragrance day to day, don't buy one of these (which you clearly won't). The reason people are so passionate around here is because they DO want to smell interesting and "avante-garde," even though I hate that term. I forget who mentioned it in the past, maybe it was Brian Chambers, but they are meant for those who are interested in things that are NOT mainstream, even as far as niche is concerned.

I want to mention that I hold no animosity toward you or anyone who dislikes the fragrances I like, especially slumberhouse ones. I personally enjoy them, get complimented on them, and could care less if I smell "good" to others. I'm not that egocentric.

EDIT: It may also be worth noting my 54 year old mother has 2 fragrances, and has worn really only 1 her who life. Yet, when she wore Pear and Olive, she immediately told me she wanted a bottle for her birthday (which I am in the process of getting for her). I think that proves that, in yet another instance, fragrance novices can like at least that fragrance from the house.
    I've followed this argument...and it is played out. Move on... You are arguing semantics in an artistic thread. I have found houses that I disliked everything I tried. I have found houses (Bond no 9) that I tested 15 different perfumes before finding one I would buy...Some people would have given up saying "there is nothing in this house which I like" But down around bottle 12 I found New York Amber, which I love. Wear what you like, knowing others will hate it. I can't wear ANYTHING by Slumberhouse. I tried hard with the Jeke again last night, but I keep getting that ONE note that kills it...In Jeke it is dill pickles!!!! It is funny, the other house that does the same thing (in my opinion( IS Bond no 9. I tried Bleeker st., Riverside Drive, and several others, loved them except for ONE note in each that projected out like a beacon in the night. With them it was an artificial grape/plum chemical that killed the otherwise great fragrances. WIth projection monsters, the creator has to be extra careful, b/c any discordant note will show up strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    I've followed this argument...and it is played out. Move on... You are arguing semantics in an artistic thread. I have found houses that I disliked everything I tried. I have found houses (Bond no 9) that I tested 15 different perfumes before finding one I would buy...Some people would have given up saying "there is nothing in this house which I like" But down around bottle 12 I found New York Amber, which I love. Wear what you like, knowing others will hate it. I can't wear ANYTHING by Slumberhouse. I tried hard with the Jeke again last night, but I keep getting that ONE note that kills it...In Jeke it is dill pickles!!!! It is funny, the other house that does the same thing (in my opinion( IS Bond no 9. I tried Bleeker st., Riverside Drive, and several others, loved them except for ONE note in each that projected out like a beacon in the night. With them it was an artificial grape/plum chemical that killed the otherwise great fragrances. WIth projection monsters, the creator has to be extra careful, b/c any discordant note will show up strong.
    See, the way you explain your dislike is totally respectable. I personally don't like it when people have 10 points they are trying to make, then make none of them clear and just keep refuting everything said stubbornly because of it. At least you've realized you don't like anything right now, and that's perfectly fine. Slumberhouse fragrances have never been intended for mass appeal, like some niche houses "could" claim. At least it sounds like you are open to trying any new things he is coming out with.

It's probably also worth reiterating that he is planning on making a few more "wearable" fragrances in the future for spring and summer. I'd think those that can't wear anything from the house would benefit from checking those out when they come to the surface.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Slumberhouse fragrances have never been intended for mass appeal, like some niche houses "could" claim.

It's probably also worth reiterating that he is planning on making a few more "wearable" fragrances in the future for spring and summer.
    Sounds like the 'never intended for mass appeal' bit has gone out the window. Or at least been diluted (along with the fragrances!). That's commercial reality for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried a niche fragrance, but I've been thinking about ordering a Slumberhouse sample pack. Are these scents really THAT far out? Or is their niche-ness more indicative of a small operation and high quality ingredients?

When people are saying Slumberhouse does not have mass appeal, I think there are a group of complex factors involved. Price and wearability are being cited as the two main ones, but some of the arguments around these seem a bit shaky...

Dollar for dollar, Slumberhouse isn't more expensive than some designer fragrances at my local mall. Yes, the size of the bottle is smaller, but the concentration is higher. I think even the most uneducated fragrance buyer can quickly learn the difference in %/vol between an aftershave, cologne, eau de toilette, and perfume, so it does not seem unreasonable for people to understand that the value of Josh's "extrait" fragrances are to be measured in a smaller bottle -- of equal price -- lasting the same amount of time as a bigger, less concentrated bottle of something else.

As for mass appeal, I don't think that is a determining factor in wearability, because taste varies by individual, time period, and location, among other factors. There are fragrances at the mall that I find un-wearable, but have the brand power to achieve wide distribution, which helps them to find the people who will appreciate them. Kouros is just one example. There are also older scents that have their devotees, but perhaps appeal less to the next generation. This is the classic "old man/woman" fragrance that has mass appeal to a certain age range, but is less popular or wearable to another cohort. By location, I mean different cultures consider different scents to be fragrance worthy; I was wearing Old Spice in Hong Kong and got asked by my friend if I was using herbal medicine...

Furthermore, in periods of high market homogeneity (like most new releases of designer/celebrity frags these days), it does not follow that all people will just buy what is available. If demand for something is not sated, consumers drop out of the market until something different comes along. Marketing can go a long way towards encouraging people to buy something, but fragrances are a luxury product, so taste is a deciding factor.

Basically, "mass appeal" is difficult to determine because masses of people are heterogeneous. There may be a current mainstream of new fragrances, but these trends are just a grouping in the much larger range of what is available from even the average mall.

That being said, I don't want to waste my money on a Slumberhouse sample pack (currently Norne, Jeke, Sova, Pear + Olive) if they aren't wearable. Being outside the current mainstream is OK, strong is OK (I like powerhouses!), different is OK, but are these fragrances really that weird or beyond the pale? If they were available at the mall and people understood just how concentrated they are (re: value), would they sell or would they sit there until some devoted Bassnoter came in?

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion they are not just wearable, but belong to the most complimented of my collection (I wear Sova and Jeke and get compliments every time).

But really only you can judge what is or isn't "wearable"... at any rate I would say they are definitely worth a try if your curiosity is piqued.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I've never tried a niche fragrance, but I've been thinking about ordering a Slumberhouse sample pack. Are these scents really THAT far out? Or is their niche-ness more indicative of a small operation and high quality ingredients?

When people are saying Slumberhouse does not have mass appeal, I think there are a group of complex factors involved. Price and wearability are being cited as the two main ones, but some of the arguments around these seem a bit shaky...

Dollar for dollar, Slumberhouse isn't more expensive than some designer fragrances at my local mall. Yes, the size of the bottle is smaller, but the concentration is higher. I think even the most uneducated fragrance buyer can quickly learn the difference in %/vol between an aftershave, cologne, eau de toilette, and perfume, so it does not seem unreasonable for people to understand that the value of Josh's "extrait" fragrances are to be measured in a smaller bottle -- of equal price -- lasting the same amount of time as a bigger, less concentrated bottle of something else.

As for mass appeal, I don't think that is a determining factor in wearability, because taste varies by individual, time period, and location, among other factors. There are fragrances at the mall that I find un-wearable, but have the brand power to achieve wide distribution, which helps them to find the people who will appreciate them. Kouros is just one example. There are also older scents that have their devotees, but perhaps appeal less to the next generation. This is the classic "old man/woman" fragrance that has mass appeal to a certain age range, but is less popular or wearable to another cohort. By location, I mean different cultures consider different scents to be fragrance worthy; I was wearing Old Spice in Hong Kong and got asked by my friend if I was using herbal medicine...

Furthermore, in periods of high market homogeneity (like most new releases of designer/celebrity frags these days), it does not follow that all people will just buy what is available. If demand for something is not sated, consumers drop out of the market until something different comes along. Marketing can go a long way towards encouraging people to buy something, but fragrances are a luxury product, so taste is a deciding factor.

Basically, "mass appeal" is difficult to determine because masses of people are heterogeneous. There may be a current mainstream of new fragrances, but these trends are just a grouping in the much larger range of what is available from even the average mall.

That being said, I don't want to waste my money on a Slumberhouse sample pack (currently Norne, Jeke, Sova, Pear + Olive) if they aren't wearable. Being outside the current mainstream is OK, strong is OK (I like powerhouses!), different is OK, but are these fragrances really that weird or beyond the pale? If they were available at the mall and people understood just how concentrated they are (re: value), would they sell or would they sit there until some devoted Bassnoter came in?
    You have a number of good questions and great points, CMcG. I'll try and answer them to the best of my ability.

From what you said, you are fine with powerful fragrances, and these are certainly powerful. How powerful tends to depend on the person, as I have seen people say that they cannot wear these, or only wear them when they spray their wrist or behind the leg or something. Me, I wear one spray right on the neck, and I do fine.

As for the sample pack, I say you get it. I should mention that I am friends with Josh to an extent, so I'm a little biased since I want to support him, but realistically this is an experience any fragrance lover shouldn't miss. What is interesting to me is that almost everyone who tries them that dislikes the scents says that they respect what Josh is doing, but that they just can't see themselves wearing one frequently enough to buy a bottle. I totally get that! I bought Sova for myself, but I wear that a lot (at least once every other week), and Sova is really mesmerizing to me, as it seriously gets better the longer you let it sit on your skin (which is generally true of all of his fragrances). Hours 1 and 2 can be harsh, but don't give up, as hours 5-10 are great, and hours 15-∞ (I say that because I tend to wash up before it's done lasting on my skin, I've gotten well over 24 hours from it) are the best! That's how Josh intended the fragrances to be. I remember him mentioning in an interview once that he designs fragrances for the five hours after application, which is why he doesn't use top notes.

As for weirdness, yeah some are a little odd compared to mainstream fragrances, both designer and the more popular niche. Still, some of them are really unique and quite interesting, like Jeke.

As I've mentioned several times, Josh loves getting emails from people, be they new to the brand or people just inquiring about something. So, if you want to talk to him directly just use the email listed on the site, and I'm sure he'd answer any questions you have.
    Fragrance blog returning in May 2014!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

I'm not sure they'd sell at the mall to your typical fragrance shopper, but they're definitely not that far out.
    I find them more wearable than Andy Tauer's fragrances that are held in very high esteem here, and I feel for the most part Slumberhouse's fragrances have more depth and density than many fragrances available today (niche or otherwise).

It's a good thing you like powerhouses, as these scents are very strong indeed. Even Pear and Olive, which has the lightest, least wintery feel of the line (most of them are very thick and resinous), lasts and projects all day.

I say try the sample pack - out of sova, P&O, norne and jeke there's only one I've not thought to buy a full bottle.
    They're a great way to see just what Josh does with his fragrances, and the 2mL atomisers each provide you with enough juice for at least 7 wears; that way you might be able to recoup a few bucks by onselling them at a discount if you decide they're not for you.

I find it interesting to try houses like Slumberhouse, Kerosene and Paul Kiler.
    Not only are they small, often single-operator companies (almost more artisan than niche, if a distinction can be drawn), but they're American based, and they come to the table with different influences and a new take on fragrance.

I hear people say they'll only buy French perfumes, and that seems silly to me. Just like you wouldn't stick to the one cuisine forever, nor should you buy fragrance from one country to the exclusion of all others.

I assure you, a sample pack won't be a waste of money if you're looking for something different from the usual mall fragrances.

Building on what Tim just said, it's worth noting that each 2mL spray vial should only really be sprayed once per wearing. You seriously don't need any more, otherwise you'll choke yourself out and you'll probably hate the fragrances. Considering each mL tends to give you 7-10 sprays, that's enough for a LOT of wearings (give or take a few) if you want to really figure them out before ordering. I only needed to wear Sova 3 or so times before I bought it, same with my mom with P+O. Now I use those sample vials if I go on the road, or if I am at school.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'm definitely looking for something different, but had been given pause by some of the replies to this thread.

The comments about potency and application technique are duly noted. I wonder how many people are turned off these scents by failing to respect the concentration? Or by a fragrance pyramid that is lacking in top notes (I think I remember reading the interview with Josh that OctaVarium mentioned), but can stretch the longevity into a olfactory marathon?

I'm ready to try something interesting and further from the mainstream, but am not quite at the level where I can appreciate perfumery for art's sake alone. It still needs to be wearable, which is of course subjective, but if people are wearing them, then it can be done. I'll probably order the sample pack later today, unless some of the naysayers are still following this thread and can weigh in compellingly in the against column...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if I would agree. If we go by some simple math, that is due to the higher quality of Slumberhouse scents you only need 1 to a generally (lets say) accepted 3 sprays of a designer fragrance, we can cut the price of Slumberhouse ($125) by two thirds leaving us with $41.6 for 1oz or 30ml of fragrance. Kouros, your example in the next paragraph, goes for around $40-50 (depending on where you look) for 100ml. Keeping the prices where they are, I can buy some 3 Kouros, 300ml, for the price of one 30ml Slumberhouse Fragrance. What will last longer? And many, if not most, designer fragrances can be found in the $40-50 price range. I could even go with a comparison to Creed, a house I have tried numerous times and do not own a single bottle of today (sold my SMW; although I do have some decants of Aventus and VIW, which I enjoy). And I would say that I'd rather buy a Creed creation than Slumberhouse because I see them as more wearable. That is, if I had a Slumberhouse bottle and one from Creed, the latter would be used a lot more often than the former on a day-to-day basis. But, the real question is, are there fragrances worth the money Slumberhouse is asking? The answer is, yes. Tom Ford's Private Blend is a perfect example and I can only stand two of the available offerings today (and own both, although I would also say I only find one to be worth its pricetag and only just).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't really agree either. When I did the math per mL, Slumberhouse is going for $4.30, which is at the high end of almost anything I looked at, EDT, EDP, anything, except for a very few of the natural perfumers I've been browsing, at the top of the price bracket. By contrast, my bottle of NK Incense, at $500, was only $2.50 per mL, and it definitely matches Slumberhouse for sheer power, AND is rare and vintage to boot. Not that I consider what I've paid for Slumberhouse wasted, not at all.

As for wearability -- might as well just try it. I can say I find Slumberhouse super-wearable and not at all challenging, while my friend NYCBoomBoom above can say the opposite till the day is done, but only you can answer for yourself!

I mean, the whole value for money thing is kind of a separate argument. The other day when I went to Sephora, bottles were much more expensive than what you find online. So, if you say the whole "average person walking into a store" thing, I'd say people would buy Slumberhouse stuff if they like them. Hell, 100mL of Hermes Jardin series was over $100!

7-10 sprays per ml x 30ml=210 to 300 wearings for Slumberhouse. I'm not going to do the same for every designer fragrance in the world, but you do need 3 sprays generally for most of them (I know there are plenty of exceptions), so the overall value does go down some.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, value for money is a bit of a different argument than wearability, but both have been related to the general appeal -- or perceived lack of appeal -- of Slumberhouse fragrances.

If one knows where to look, they can certainly find inexpensive or discounted designer fragrances and one could also wait for Slumberhouse to have a sale My comparison about Slumberhouse being in the same value ballpark as some designer scents is based on regular price at the mainstream malls in my area or regular price from Josh.

For example, I could easily spend $140 ($125 + tax) on 100mL of some of the more expensive designer fragrances or $132 ($125 + shipping) on 30mL of a Slumberhouse fragrance, and if one needs 3 sprays of the designer frag vs. 1 of Slumberhouse, then they work out to approximately the same value. The price per wearing is relatively expensive, but not outside the range of mainstream fragrances, even if it is on the upper end.

Wearability is different and is partly based on personal preference, but also on social perception. Considering that I'm only thinking of getting a sample pack to start, it is also more important at this point than value.

I see that CompassRose is in my area, so it is reassuring to see a vote for super-wearable I've read some posts about people having to scrub their Slumberhouse samples off after a short while and I still wonder if that isn't from over application... I don't, however, recall anyone having posted about negative reactions from other people when wearing Slumberhouse?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't, however, recall anyone having posted about negative reactions from other people when wearing Slumberhouse?
    When testing out a few of his 'heavier' scents I got negative reactions from friends/family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    When testing out a few of his 'heavier' scents I got negative reactions from friends/family.
    Hmmmm, that ain't good. Would you mind expanding a bit? Which fragrances, how much were you wearing, and how bad was the reaction?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm, that ain't good. Would you mind expanding a bit? Which fragrances, how much were you wearing, and how bad was the reaction?
    I think the heaviest were Jeke, Rume, and Norne. I was testing out one spray from the sample set that I received for them all. How bad were the reactions? 'Get it away', I had it on the back of my hand. But I've heard the same from some of them while wearing A*Men .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    I think the heaviest were Jeke, Rume, and Norne. I was testing out one spray from the sample set that I received for them all. How bad were the reactions? 'Get it away', I had it on the back of my hand. But I've heard the same from some of them while wearing A*Men .
    Well, fragrances can get bad reactions if they are too intense, even when they smell good, eh? There is an article about that on the Basenotes mainpage:
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/156...ed-by-the-nose

One day I tested a single spray of Eau des Baux, which is a fairly mainstream and accessible fragrance. Several hours later, I was chatting with my mother and she told me it was overpowering her. Perhaps the source was too direct because I sprayed it on my hand, particularly because I gesticulate when I talk and they must have been fanning it in her face. Anyway, I thought someone was kidding about wearing a 1/2 spray of Slumberhouse fragrances behind the knees, but maybe there is some metaphorical truth to it!

Potency aside, if there is nothing so weird about the current Slumberhouse frags as to make dogs howl, babies cry, and get me kicked off public transportation, then I'm leaning towards giving the sample pack a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Most in the line are heavier fragrances, couple that with the fact that they're now extrait strength. Keep it to one spray each wearing...as with anything that's of extrait strength. This is not unique to Slumberhouse.

Post Thanks / Like

One day I tested a single spray of Eau des Baux, which is a fairly mainstream and accessible fragrance. Several hours later, I was chatting with my mother and she told me it was overpowering her. Perhaps the source was too direct because I sprayed it on my hand, particularly because I gesticulate when I talk and they must have been fanning it in her face. Anyway, I thought someone was kidding about wearing a 1/2 spray of Slumberhouse fragrances behind the knees, but maybe there is some metaphorical truth to it!

Potency aside, if there is nothing so weird about the current Slumberhouse frags as to make dogs howl, babies cry, and get me kicked off public transportation, then I'm leaning towards giving the sample pack a try.
    Give them a try. I think Slumberhouse frags are unusual chiefly because few other scents these days are made with quite the same depth and density. But they're comfortable to be with. Very wearable. In fact, I find them much more wearable than some other niche houses. There's nothing weird about these frags. They can be potent, yes, but if they're too strong on your hand, wear them under your shirt and let the scent waft out by degrees. They are complex little things and bear trying again and again. And if you still don't like them, I'm sure you can hawk them off quite easily around these parts. But most of all I would be interested to hear your thoughts on them after all this.
    Last edited by rowan-; 27th March 2013 at 06:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    Give them a try.
    But most of all I would be interested to hear your thoughts on them after all this.
    My order is in and I look forward to reporting back!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

First I tried Pear + Olive and I got an eggy vibe from it (?). I'm sure something went wrong with our interaction, so I'll have to try it again and see.

Jeke was next and it was like smelling barbecue sauce. I ended up getting a compliment on it at the end of the day, so that's good.

Wearing Norne now, and my impression is almost exact as that with Jeke.

All in all, I am impressed and looking forward to giving these more wears and try Sova, which is the fourth and last one in my sample pack.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you live in a McDonald's or something lol? Eggs from Pear + Olive, BBQ sauce from Jeke? Needless to say, I didn't encounter any sort of notes that you're referring to. Additionally, I found Norne to be completely different than the prior two mentioned. What I got more from Norne was an incense vibe that the other two most definitely do not have.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    First I tried Pear + Olive and I got an eggy vibe from it (?). I'm sure something went wrong with our interaction, so I'll have to try it again and see.

Jeke was next and it was like smelling barbecue sauce. I ended up getting a compliment on it at the end of the day, so that's good.

Wearing Norne now, and my impression is almost exact as that with Jeke.

All in all, I am impressed and looking forward to giving these more wears and try Sova, which is the fourth and last one in my sample pack.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Do you live in a McDonald's or something lol?
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Well that explains it all Seriously though, I haven't noticed such notes. Are you sampling the recently reformulated stuff? I only have Slumberhouse's EDPs except for Sova which has always been an absolute to my knowledge. I am wondering if Josh's new developments have something to do with this.

Yes.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

...All in all, I am impressed and looking forward to giving these more wears and try Sova, which is the fourth and last one in my sample pack.
    Sova is my favorite. Lightly apply that one - just a tiny bit is necessary for crazy longevity. Post your impressions once you do.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Rume is my favorite. I'm wearing Sova for only the second time today. Sova is definitely a monster in terms of longevity. I keep it to one spray on the wrists and dab the side of my neck with this stuff. About 4 hours in right now and I'm smelling all beeswax and honey with a hint of hay.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sova is my favorite. Lightly apply that one - just a tiny bit is necessary for crazy longevity. Post your impressions once you do.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Rume is my favorite. I'm wearing Sova for only the second time today. Sova is definitely a monster in terms of longevity. I keep it to one spray on the wrists and dab the side of my neck with this stuff. About 4 hours in right now and I'm smelling all beeswax and honey with a hint of hay.
    I love that honey/beeswax combo that happens. Just wait for hours 15+! I swear Sova gets better and better the longer you allow it to stay on your skin.

And yeah, I never got eggs from P+O. Coconut, sure, but eggs? No.

Post Thanks / Like

The Slumberhouse sample set at around 20 bucks is not that great of a risk to take. In fact, my collection would have been entirely designer based if it was not for the advent of Slumberhouse. Now. after countless niches samples and decants, I feel I have a fragrance house that is genuinely satisfying and wearable. Very often in the past, I like many others would be drawn to a poplular niche brand of the day, only to tire of it with time and wonder what the hell was I ever thinking. Not so with Slumberhouse. The only issue remains with erratic availability and limited runs of their creations. But as in art, the temperament of the artist or designer has to forgiven in light of the magic they produce.

Pretty excited to receive my sample pack and try these out.. Who doesn't like a sample pack?!
    Current obsession...Invasion Barbare

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Got back home from work last night and sprayed Norne on my wrist so that I could smell- I know these are strong stuff, so when applying in the morning I just do one on my chest and that lasts me the whole day.

Anyway, the resinous, syrupy, smokey character that reminds me of barbecue sauce was there, but I got the pine too. Went to dinner, and after about 20 minutes I smelled again and it was like sticking my nose onto a freshly-sawed slab of pine. It was impressive and explicit.
    Last edited by juanderer; 29th March 2013 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Juan, are you talking about Norne or Sova? I don't get any pine from Sova.

Got back home from work last night and sprayed Sova on my wrist so that I could smell- I know these are strong stuff, so when applying in the morning I just do one on my chest and that lasts me the whole day.

Anyway, the resinous, syrupy, smokey character that reminds me of barbecue sauce was there, but I got the pine too. Went to dinner, and after about 20 minutes I smelled again and it was like sticking my nose onto a freshly-sawed slab of pine. It was impressive and explicit.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Dur. Thanks for bringing that up. It was Norne. I reapplied.

Post Thanks / Like

Norne is an interesting one, actually one of the most impressively complex fragrances from Slumberhouse. The dry-down has some incense, which is a nice touch in conjunction with the fir. However, this is the only one in the house that I do not personally enjoy wearing.

Dur. Thanks for bringing that up. It was Norne. I reapplied.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up the last bottle of Vikt at parfum1.com! Thank goodness.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy Monkey! Probably my second favorite in the Slumberhouse line. I love how this plays with light metallic notes and a heavy dose of Sambuca. Another juice from Slumberhouse that lasts days.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the licorice one, right, with oud?

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I just put in an order for one of the remaining bottles of Rume at Parfum1. It's a bit too literally potpourri-like for me to wear very much I think, but I figured this would probably be my last chance to get it and I'm such a fan of this line, I decided to snatch one while I could.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tony! I don't think you'll be disappointed with the purchase. I think the blast of spice overpowers the light potpourri scent. As it warms up and evolves throughout the day I think you'll really enjoy it and possibly come to love it as I do

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I just put in an order for one of the remaining bottles of Rume at Parfum1. It's a bit too literally potpourri-like for me to wear very much I think, but I figured this would probably be my last chance to get it and I'm such a fan of this line, I decided to snatch one while I could.
    Yep, it's the dark licorice oud.

That's the licorice one, right, with oud?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone perchance tried Eki? I see that Parfum1 still has a few bottles of that left, and if anyone could make a white flower scent that I had the slightest hope of liking, it would be Josh. I'm debating whether to risk it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried Eki. It's a nice, sweet light floral with a hint of mint.

Has anyone perchance tried Eki? I see that Parfum1 still has a few bottles of that left, and if anyone could make a white flower scent that I had the slightest hope of liking, it would be Josh. I'm debating whether to risk it.

Compass, I'll PM you what I know, which isn't much.

I have found personally that the character/personality/strangeness that I love in the heavy scents are not present in the lighter ones (Flou, Sana, Eki I have tried). But I am liking Pear and Olive.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Great score, MB!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried Eki just once. It's a sweet white floral yes, but not screechy high-pitched or syrupy or cloying and it's probably one of the (few) sweet scents I might actually wear. It doesn't seem to have quite so much going on though and if I had sniffed it blind, I probably wouldn't even have guessed it was a Slumberhouse. I'll probably give it several wearings, but that's my admittedly sketchy first impression.

I'll admit I was nevertheless tempted by those few bottles left at Parfum1 but ultimately reminded myself that I have a priority queue for Slumberhouse frags and Eki is behind at least three of the four currently in production.

But if you do pick one up, I would be interested to hear what you think of it.

Compass, I'll PM you what I know, which isn't much.
    OctaVariuM, I would be interested in what you have to say about Eki, if it's anything you could share with me as well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried Eki, Grev Jike, Vikt, Rume, Sana, Norne, and Pear and Olive, but they were the extrant super concentrated samples. I loved Norne, but not on me...smelled like pine room spray. Pear and Olive was wearable. The rest were just too strong.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on Norne, personally. I like the strength of Slumberhouse frags. If I am paying over $100 for a 1.7 I would expect the quality and strength received from Slumberhouse. I've paid over $100 for a niche fragrance before, only to see the fragrance fade from my skin after only 3 hours. With Slumberhouse, you're smelling like Rume/Vikt/Jeke until you take a shower...not until you roll the windows down in your car.

Post Thanks / Like

In preparation for the arrival of my sample pack, I emailed Josh in regards to people's comments about the potency his fragrances. I asked for some guidance on application. Here is the relevant part of his reply, which other people may find useful too:

"...due to the concentration I recommend rubbing the fragrance into your skin once you spray it on, otherwise it may leave behind a slight 'oily' sheen from the density of the materials used to compose them. This isn't necessary, but I do at least suggest doing so with Norne as it's a dark colored perfume and can leave a bit of staining if you don't rub it in. The other option is exactly what you said, to spray and walk through, or what I do which is simply spray from a full arm's length so that the fragrance disperses well. I'm also using a new atomizer on my bottles which allows for great pump control, half-sprays (and even less) should pose no problem. As these are extraits, the sillage shouldn't be too loud but the longevity will be quite substantial, especially if you like to spray your clothes."

I sounds like one spray, at arms length is probably good. But for those who think Slumberhouse fragrances are too strong, maybe just 1/2 a spray is enough?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll be fine with one full spray.

When I applied Norne to my forearm, it immediately looked like I was bruised.

In preparation for the arrival of my sample pack, I emailed Josh in regards to people's comments about the potency his fragrances. I asked for some guidance on application. Here is the relevant part of his reply, which other people may find useful too:

"...due to the concentration I recommend rubbing the fragrance into your skin once you spray it on, otherwise it may leave behind a slight 'oily' sheen from the density of the materials used to compose them. This isn't necessary, but I do at least suggest doing so with Norne as it's a dark colored perfume and can leave a bit of staining if you don't rub it in. The other option is exactly what you said, to spray and walk through, or what I do which is simply spray from a full arm's length so that the fragrance disperses well. I'm also using a new atomizer on my bottles which allows for great pump control, half-sprays (and even less) should pose no problem. As these are extraits, the sillage shouldn't be too loud but the longevity will be quite substantial, especially if you like to spray your clothes."

I sounds like one spray, at arms length is probably good. But for those who think Slumberhouse fragrances are too strong, maybe just 1/2 a spray is enough?
    Interesting that he rubs it in. I've heard that is bad for fragrances. I've sprayed them on my skin probably 20 or so times total now (about 15 or so wearings, since I sometimes intentionally overspray), and I've found that one spray to the next, just below the shirt works best.

Post Thanks / Like

With Slumberhouse and other potent fragrances, I half spray my wrists, dab together (no rubbing) then spray another half spray on my neck line. That tends to work best for me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Baque today for the 1st time. Funny, but I don't really get an apricot from this. I think I might be anosmic to apricot notes. But I instantly smell the similarities to Sova and the tobacco/straw/woods smell old (antiquated), thick and resinous. Nice - but not as nice as Sova.

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not adding much, but I do love me some slumberhouse!

Jeke (autumn), Norne (pine wood), Sova (sweet yummy autumn), Baque (dry tobacco) are my faves from the line.

Verg (mossy vegetation) is ok, but I need to try it some more. Others didn't rub me very well on a first try: Grev (green herbal), Vikt (woody resin), Rume (barn hay), Mur (cereal-esque). I do need to rotate these up again for more trials.

Only Kere has been one I don't want to wear for sure, but that's only because I do not get along with licorice scents at all.

No matter the scent, though, they are all very powerful and masculine. And when I like them, I *really* like them.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually prefer Baque to Sova. It seems to be quite similar to Sova, minus the heavy beeswax notes and amped up tobacco/woods. I wasn't able to pull apricot from Baque either.

I'm wearing Baque today for the 1st time. Funny, but I don't really get an apricot from this. I think I might be anosmic to apricot notes. But I instantly smell the similarities to Sova and the tobacco/straw/woods smell old (antiquated), thick and resinous. Nice - but not as nice as Sova.

I agree with what you said, Mike. For me, Baque is just a stripped down version of Sova with the super dry tobacco ramped up. It's nice, but since I own a bottle of Sova, I rarely wear my samples (I think I have two).

Post Thanks / Like

Baque to me feels like something halfway between Sova and Jeke, without the smoky notes and with an intriguing extra sting of camphor. I like Baque. I think, given the option, Baque would be what I'd buy, rather than Jeke, since I already have Sova.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing Sova today. Got a booziness from it at first sniff and a nice tobacco and hay vibe with a very present vanilla and burnt sugar sweetness that is far from cloying. Really enjoying this.

I still get the barbecue-sauce-like smoky thickness that I got from the other two (Jeke and Norne) although this one is not as smoky.

I'll try to give Pear + Olive another spin in the next couple of days.

I appreciate this line more the more I'm exposed to it. I think my favorite so far is Norne and I'm kicking myself for not having ordered samples earlier to try the offerings that are now unavailable.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very thankful to have bought a bottle before the discontinuation. This is my favorite fragrance in the line after Rume.
    Baque reminds me of the smell of the Maker's Mark whiskey distillery just outside Louisville. Wooden barrels, whiskey and smell of light light smoke. Baque has the sweet hay and tobacco that Sova has without the Beeswax.... a very slight hint of apricot (or dried fruit) upon launch whereas Sova has more honey. This stuff lasts quite a while, 12+ hours no problem.

Baque to me feels like something halfway between Sova and Jeke, without the smoky notes and with an intriguing extra sting of camphor. I like Baque. I think, given the option, Baque would be what I'd buy, rather than Jeke, since I already have Sova.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I own both Baque and Sova, but I find that I wear Baque more frequently. Perhaps it's a bit more conventional in some ways than Sova, which smells more like a place than a perfume (which is not something that bothers me). Speaking of smelling like a place, my bottle of Rume arrived today. It must have been one of the very last ones he made because it's in the new bottles, but was made before he filled them with marbles and got the new atomizers. Wow, it's really strong. It even survived me taking a shower. I'm glad I have it for archival purposes but I'm really not sure I'll be wearing it much. It smells like old books, cola, and spiced stewed plums.

Post Thanks / Like

Tony! I'm glad to have swayed you on the Baque or at least I'd like to think I had something to do with it I have the same bottle of Rume you just got today, new bottle, extremely potent. I haven't tested the new bottle yet, but it sounds like it will last me quite a while from your description. I wear Baque 2nd most out of the whole line after my original bottle of Rume. I'm super interested to see if there will be anything coming out from Josh in the near future. I was definitely surprised, but stand by his decision to discontinue some of the fragrances he fell out of love with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I'm glad I own both Baque and Sova, but I find that I wear Baque more frequently. Perhaps it's a bit more conventional in some ways than Sova, which smells more like a place than a perfume (which is not something that bothers me). Speaking of smelling like a place, my bottle of Rume arrived today. It must have been one of the very last ones he made because it's in the new bottles, but was made before he filled them with marbles and got the new atomizers. Wow, it's really strong. It even survived me taking a shower. I'm glad I have it for archival purposes but I'm really not sure I'll be wearing it much. It smells like old books, cola, and spiced stewed plums.