Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Slumberhouse

Default Re: Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post
    I recently sent Josh an email asking about the release of Tunis Mills and received a very kind reply today. He said that Tunis Mills has been released under the name, Sova - which I believe was one of his first releases on Etsy. (This link gives a really good interview with Josh.) Josh also stated that he'd sent a sample of Sova which should arrive next week.

So tonight checking my email, I find a link to Sova sent from my Slumberhouse subscription.

Sova (formerly known as Tunis Mills) is now available for sale from Slumberhouse.
    I just ordered a sample of this as well and I'm really looking forward to trying it. It's a bit confusing, though, that this is apparently both a recreation of his first fragrance (also named Sova) and the latest incarnation of Tunis Mills, but a much less sweet version of it, according to Josh. At any rate, it sounds like it might be great for fall. I looked up several of the notes I wasn't familiar with and many of them have something to do with either tobacco or hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I looked up several of the notes I wasn't familiar with and many of them have something to do with either tobacco or hay.
    I did the same thing. I found the list of notes along with their 'stage names' intriguing.
    I wonder how the 'less sweet' version will impact the overall feel of the fragrance, not to mention the use of castoreum starring as The Wolf!
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

I don't know if I posted this here - but I interviewed Josh Lobb of Slumberhouse a few months ago - http://notablescents.net/2012/04/27/...-slumberhouse/
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    I don't know if I posted this here - but I interviewed Josh Lobb of Slumberhouse a few months ago - http://notablescents.net/2012/04/27/...-slumberhouse/
    And it's a great interview! I enjoyed reading it and linked to it my first post above.

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    Cool interview, Ron!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

@ djron91 - A frank and enlightening interview indeed.

I almost bought the Pear + Olive just for the bottle!

Dependent

Thanks for a fascinating interview. What a trip!

@djron91,

Good Stuff! Thank you.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Hi guys, where can I buy these frags in Europe? Could you please recommend me an European online shop which sells Slumberhouse creations ? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nashulian View Post
    Hi guys, where can I buy these frags in Europe? Could you please recommend me an European online shop which sells Slumberhouse creations ? Thanks!
    Send Josh an email from the contact tab on the Slumberhouse website.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Send Josh an email from the contact tab on the Slumberhouse website.
    Is there anyone you dont know?

Quote Originally Posted by nashulian View Post

http://www.suendhaft.com/shop-by-bra...?show=products

cool! thanks, Alfarom!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Ordered some P&O from P1 yesterday, with the 15% off it was too hard to pass up. With any luck I will reek of pears this weekend.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

To anyone who might be interested, my interview with Josh Lobb from Slumberouse is out now here...

http://www.basenotes.net/content/147...f-Slumberhouse

thnak you so much for your attention.

Good stuff Alfarom. Thanks for that.

Anybody have any insight into the sale he mentions on Thanksgiving weekend?

Great interview Alfarom! Its awesome that Slumberhouse is getting some attention and I also look forward to Josh's bargain sales whenever they occur as it allows me to get more bottles of his creations.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Just wanted to mention that Josh's annual 33% off sale has begun, and will continue on his website through this weekend only. Your chance to get a discount, support his worthy work (Yeah for us Oregonians !) and put your money directly into his pocket without a middleman taking their cut.

The Slumberhouse site can be a bit cranky at times, so give it time to rest a little if it doesn't come up the first time.

Just ordered Pear+Olive and Rume.
    Two ends of the spectrum and I think two of Josh's best sellers.

Grev is extremely similar to Jil Sander for Men, probably because of the cloves, mint and cedar, but less sharp, more wearable and interesting at the same time, that keeps getting better in the drydown, my favorite in the line.

Kere is just a crazy composition, has this fruity sweet notes mixed with dark realistic curry spices and lasts forever on clothes, no kidding there.

Sova it's a better experiment than Kere, both spicy and sweet, but not my cup of tea either.

Jeke has this really interesting drydown, nothing surprising, just the notes listed, but unfortunately is not of the long lasting ones

Vikt and Norne have better reviews than anything I can come up with, both good in their own way, but prefer Norne.

Rume seems to be the base for an unfinished perfume (at least the sample I got) and by itself doesn't appeal at all to me.

EDIT: the unlabeled yellow one seems to be Pear & Olive, I get a strong Secretions Magnifiques vibe, which is awful, mix with fruity sharp sweetness, just meh for me.
    Last edited by Brian_Towers; 12th March 2013 at 10:19 PM.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Just wanted to mention that Josh's annual 33% off sale has begun
    Thanks for the heads up.

I just ordered back-up bottles of Jeke and Norne and a bottle of Vikt. Woo Hoo! I love this guy.

Oh my! Just sampled their line for the first time and absolutely love Rume. I should take advantage of this opportunity now!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Dependent

Hm I didn't realize he raised the price from $80 up to $115. Makes sense I guess

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Hm I didn't realize he raised the price from $80 up to $115. Makes sense I guess
    They were $75 for 30 ml and now they're $115 for 50 ml. I think that's actually a decrease in price, isn't it?

If there was a price increase, suspect it's a supply and demand thing. He's such a small operation that if he can get more, more power to him, is what I say.

Just ordered Norne. Wonder how long it will take to travel 2 miles?
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Got a sample of this in a split as a bonus, only spent about 10 minutes with it because we were about to go to some friends house and it was heavy duty.

At first blast I smelled like a jar of cloves sitting in a campfire? I don't see cloves in the notes but I swear its the closest thing I have smelled to it. Maybe even a clove cigarette, interesting but not sure I can pull that off.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Couldn't resist getting bottles of Norne and Vikt with the discount, only thru sheer willpower was I able to resist buying his entire line
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

I'm still sort of curious as to just how much his fragrances have changed as a result the reformulations he does. I have a number of of samples from the group of samples he sent out a year or so ago, and I get the sense that they may not be proper references anymore. I know the sample of Grev that I have can't possibly be like what's out now, and I suspect many of the others have been tweeked as well.

But all for the better, is what I'm more than willing to believe.

Now....where's that new iteration of Brosse that I thought was supposed to show up this Fall ? A number of us received samples of it last fall, but I'm not sure if it was actually released as something a person could purchase. Very interesting stuff for sure, but perhaps an idea that's been rolled into some of the newer formulations.

P.S. In this day and age, how many perfumes come out which have been reformulated so they are better than they were before ?

Gotta love that idea.

You are correct and I never thouught about how the reformulations Josh does improve the fragrances. That is the way it should be when one cares about what they are doing. Very un-corporate, un-selfish and very honest artistically. I can only thank Josh for helpiing Keep Portland Weird.

Everyone should go to his website today before it is too late tp take advantage of this sale and buy something. And no I do not work fo Josh and have no affiliation at all.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    I'm still sort of curious as to just how much his fragrances have changed as a result the reformulations he does. I have a number of of samples from the group of samples he sent out a year or so ago, and I get the sense that they may not be proper references anymore. I know the sample of Grev that I have can't possibly be like what's out now, and I suspect many of the others have been tweeked as well.

But all for the better, is what I'm more than willing to believe.

Now....where's that new iteration of Brosse that I thought was supposed to show up this Fall ? A number of us received samples of it last fall, but I'm not sure if it was actually released as something a person could purchase. Very interesting stuff for sure, but perhaps an idea that's been rolled into some of the newer formulations.

P.S. In this day and age, how many perfumes come out which have been reformulated so they are better than they were before ?

Gotta love that idea.
    I read somewhere that he created Brosse while on hallucinogens, so it may not be that easy to recreate. I have a small sample of it and it's a very interesting fragrance. I've been waiting to see if it ever comes out, too. I think he did say somewhere that he was working on another batch, but that it takes a while because he intentionally "damages" some ingredient(s) with harsh light.

Received the sample set last week, loved Jeke, Norne and Vikt, have just ordered bottles of them from the Sale page this weekend.

Really didn't like Grev - one note clove dominates.

Still have Rume and Kere to try, but am happy with what I've ordered.

I'd say the reviews of V, N and J are spot on, given what I was able to smell on myself, and am looking forward to wearing them on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    And no I do not work fo Josh and have no affiliation at all.
    Other than us being Oregonians. ;- )

Basenotes Junkie

I want to pull the trigger on Norne, especially at the discounted price, but from what I have read about it, people compare it to Polo Green, and I'm not a huge fan of Polo Green. So, for those of you who know...is it really like Polo Green or is it that people don't really know how else to describe it? From the description of the notes I feel like I would really like it, and I don't know how those notes would add up to a Polo Green smell, but if it does then it's not for me. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to pull the trigger on Norne, especially at the discounted price, but from what I have read about it, people compare it to Polo Green, and I'm not a huge fan of Polo Green. So, for those of you who know...is it really like Polo Green or is it that people don't really know how else to describe it? From the description of the notes I feel like I would really like it, and I don't know how those notes would add up to a Polo Green smell, but if it does then it's not for me. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it smells like Polo at all. Norne is smoother, more camphorous, more genuinely woodsy. I think the only reason anyone would compare the two is because they are both pine-related. If the notes make it sound like something you'd like, you probably will. It's great. Have you read the reviews in the directory?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I don't think it smells like Polo at all. Norne is smoother, more camphorous, more genuinely woodsy. I think the only reason anyone would compare the two is because they are both pine-related. If the notes make it sound like something you'd like, you probably will. It's great. Have you read the reviews in the directory?
    Thanks for the response...I have read the reviews in the directory, I've been reading what people have been saying in the forums also and they have related it to Polo Green and it just hasn't made sense to me because the notes don't seem like they would smell like it at all. Smoother, more camphor's, and genuinely woodsy sounds great to me. I really do think I would like it. Thanks for your words.

You're welcome and thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    Thanks for the response...I have read the reviews in the directory, I've been reading what people have been saying in the forums also and they have related it to Polo Green and it just hasn't made sense to me because the notes don't seem like they would smell like it at all. Smoother, more camphor's, and genuinely woodsy sounds great to me. I really do think I would like it. Thanks for your words.

Kybid, I really don't like Polo Green at all and I love Norne. I find them nothing alike other than maybe a vague piney resemblance. But a couple notes in common don't necessarily make two fragrances similar. You're safe with Norne as long as you're expecting something powerfully coniferous. Deep, robust, dense and just a little bit smokey. All natural and completely uncompromising.

I was ready to buy some bottles but the size increase was a negative factor for me. I really didnt liked the upgrade from 30ml to 50ml. At least it would be nice to keep the lower size available.
    I think i will pass.

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I was ready to buy some bottles but the size increase was a negative factor for me. I really didnt liked the upgrade from 30ml to 50ml. At least it would be nice to keep the lower size available.
    I think i will pass.
    I've come to a similar conclusion. Another thing that has kept me from buying them is that upon resampling Rume and Vikt, my favourites of the line, I wasn't too taken with their drydowns...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I am disappointed in myself because I still have yet to sample them, rendering me afraid to purchase one blind. I did however go ahead and order samples yesterday. I almost hope I don't like them as the sale will be over by the time I get the samples under my nose. Damn my procrastination!

Very tempted to pull the trigger on Pear and Olive...

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Kybid, I really don't like Polo Green at all and I love Norne. I find them nothing alike other than maybe a vague piney resemblance. But a couple notes in common don't necessarily make two fragrances similar. You're safe with Norne as long as you're expecting something powerfully coniferous. Deep, robust, dense and just a little bit smokey. All natural and completely uncompromising.
    Well, I pulled the trigger on Norne! Thanks for the advice and I'm 100% positive that I will love it. Thanks again.

Well, I pulled the trigger on Norne! Thanks for the advice and I'm 100% positive that I will love it.

So glad to read that you did, as Norne really is such a quality, natural pine/balsam fragrance. If you like these notes I'm certain you'll be happy with your decision. Just be prepared for its initial density and give it time to open...then, enjoy your day in the forest!

Quote Originally Posted by demcav View Post
    So glad to read that you did, as Norne really is such a quality, natural pine/balsam fragrance. If you like these notes I'm certain you'll be happy with your decision. Just be prepared for its initial density and give it time to open...then, enjoy your day in the forest!
    How you compare it with Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles?

Sorry, I have no experience with FeA. However, in some reviews (and listed notes) for FeA there are references to spices and sweet fruits in its dry down. I don't detect either spice or fruit in Norne -- to me Norne begins as natural dense pine needles/balsam fir/cedarwood type accords veiled in frankincense, especially in the first 30 - 60 minutes, after which time the incense lifts and the evergreen notes have become somewhat lighter and more open but still very authentic.
    Last edited by demcav; 27th November 2012 at 06:38 PM.

Exactly, exaggerating (just a bit) Norne is all about an alive pine forest, not a perfume.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

I personally find Rume much closer to Fille en Aiguilles than Norne. FeA and Norne are similar in that they both feature pine/woods, but not much else.

Fille en Aiguilles: Candied fruits, spice, resins, pine - smells sweet, rich, dense, resinous, woody (pine cola)
    Rume: Resins, hay, myrrh - smells rich, dark, dense, resinous (myrrh cola)
    Norne: Pine, woods, resins, moss - smells dark, resinous, woody (wet forest at night)

Interestingly, I think all three smell more like places than traditional perfumes.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by demcav View Post
    I'm really excited about it. I'm sure I will love it! And thanks for the heads up with the initial density...sometimes frags really throw me for a loop at first when they are quite dense.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    Exactly, exaggerating (just a bit) Norne is all about an alive pine forest, not a perfume.
    I love "perfumes" that aren't considered a "perfume" in the traditional sense, so this seems like it will be awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Interestingly, I think all three smell more like places than traditional perfumes.
    I love the forest and all the smells associated with it so I'm really excited to smell the place, and smell like the place.

I ended up purchasing Sova, as I really did like the Tunis Mills sample (which was apparently Sova's working name) which was sent out a few months ago.

What with the small batches of things that Josh is making, and the growing recognition his work is receiving, it's hard not to see these fumes and their evolving bottle styles as markers in time, and "get em' while you can" sorts of investments.

As well as completely unique fragrances.

I ordered the sample-set and it arrived today with two extra samples, nicely packed in a grey pouch. Very fairly priced and also the shipping costs to Germany are low (5$), others charge much more. I already tried a little bit of "Vikt" and it smells promising, actually the base reminds me of Amouage "Attar Asrar", one of my favourite perfumes.

Hey hoschhti, can you please tell me how long it took them to deliver? Is it sent from the US? I'm currently waiting for a delivery for an order I placed about two weeks ago and wonder if the "please allow five days for the item to arrive" on their website is meant for US customers only.

Guten Abend Nasenmann, I ordered the samples on November 18th, they were sent out on the 24th and arrived today the 30th. So all in all 12 days. They are send from Portland, Oregon. You can write a mail to Josh and ask him where your parcel is, he replies very friendly and quickly.

Danke dir! I mailed him already but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    Hey hoschhti, can you please tell me how long it took them to deliver? Is it sent from the US? I'm currently waiting for a delivery for an order I placed about two weeks ago and wonder if the "please allow five days for the item to arrive" on their website is meant for US customers only.
    Got a note from Josh last night, and since he's a one man operation, he mentioned being pretty busy with packing and shipping all the orders from the sale. But as anyone will tell you, he's a very honorable and conscientious guy, and I believe he will do everything in his power to make sure you get your items.

Has anyone who ordered during the sale received their shipment? I figured Josh would be busy but I've never purchased anything from Slumberhouse, and I'm not sure if I should be waiting for a shipping notification or if a package will just show up. And if so how far behind shipments are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosenberg View Post
    Has anyone who ordered during the sale received their shipment? I figured Josh would be busy but I've never purchased anything from Slumberhouse, and I'm not sure if I should be waiting for a shipping notification or if a package will just show up. And if so how far behind shipments are.

I have not.

I ordered on the 25th and haven't received anything yet, not even an email regarding the transaction. I was wondering the same thing, and I'm thinking maybe a package will just show up one of these days. We'll see.

You guys need not worry. He is a one man show. Your package may not arrive as soon as you would expect from a warehouse operation but given the volume of orders he gets at the annual sales they come in a reasonable period of time. That has been my experience in the past. I have always gotten a sample or two of something else with an order and a hand written note. Don't count on that but Josh is a stand up guy. Be a little patient even if you are excited and anxious to get your purchase. All good things are worth waiting for. ;-)
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!