Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 421 to 480 of 791

Thread: Slumberhouse

  1. #421

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Brian, the second one (from the left) is Sova? The third one (from the left) which one is that? Norne?
    Other way around, I believe - Norne is the black juice, and Sova was the first Slumberhouse that came with the marbles.

  2. #422

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I tested Vikt this weekend. I loved it so much, I wore it ALL DAY yesterday (at home, to the gym, after the gym/shower, etc). Those black liquorice top notes are addictive, part of the reason why I wanted to reapply it was to replay that wonderful dry/sweet anisic/dark texture........I have a little bit left, perhaps for one more full wearing and I can't wait to wear it again.

    To say the least it is sad that I'm hearing this one is officially discontinued.
    That's one of the issues that makes it interesting - there's a fine line between being principled and a purist, and being self indulgent. I'm not making any kind of value judgement, but Josh's line about the deleted frags not singing to him, or representing an earlier phase of his perfumery development or whatever, is literally putting his own likes and dislikes ahead of his customers. He is of course completely entitled to do this - he can do whatever he likes. But is he correct ?

    And I don't need a fragrance that lasts 24 hours - don't people bathe at least once every 24 hours ? A larger quantity of a frag that lasts 12 hours is much better than a small quantity of more expensive frag that lasts 24 hours. IN MY OPINION.

    However it may seem, I actually support someone like Josh 100%. In fact my first niche frag purchase was going to be Norne, when it was 50ml parfum. Now, I'm not so sure.

  3. #423
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    That's one of the issues that makes it interesting - there's a fine line between being principled and a purist, and being self indulgent. I'm not making any kind of value judgement, but Josh's line about the deleted frags not singing to him, or representing an earlier phase of his perfumery development or whatever, is literally putting his own likes and dislikes ahead of his customers. He is of course completely entitled to do this - he can do whatever he likes. But is he correct ?

    And I don't need a fragrance that lasts 24 hours - don't people bathe at least once every 24 hours ? A larger quantity of a frag that lasts 12 hours is much better than a small quantity of more expensive frag that lasts 24 hours. IN MY OPINION.

    However it may seem, I actually support someone like Josh 100%. In fact my first niche frag purchase was going to be Norne, when it was 50ml parfum. Now, I'm not so sure.
    (I've been told I should preface this by saying I'm friends with Josh) You offer a lot of good points, Paul. I agree that doing the deleting for himself is a little annoying for customers, but it is certainly not uncommon in the indie world of perfumery, nor for this line in particular. Take Ore, one of my very favorites from the line. I wish I could own it, but I missed my opportunity during its return a few weeks ago, and it is now discontinued again. I hope for the customers sake he returns Vikt pretty regularly, since I know it was a popular one. Not sure why he chose Jeke over Vikt.

    As for the fragrance lasting thing, you are right again. Personally though, I love it when a fragrance lasts me throughout my entire day. For example, I get up at 6 AM every morning for school/work, and if my fragrance only lasted me until 6 p.m. or so, I'd be missing out on four or five hours of additional goodness. This is where Slumberhouse, Nassomatto, and others excel...that little window of time. Not to mention, in strictly my opinion, Josh's fragrances improve the longer they are on your skin (and often start out on the harsh side), so I love having it last me all day and getting to experience it getting better and better. Now that I think about it, that's the complete opposite of how most fragrances work, starting out strong and interesting, and drying down into a lower version of themselves with some subtleties peaking.

    Good thoughts though.

  4. #424
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,327

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    As I understand, Josh keeps tweeking his scents. I would venture a guess that he just might tweek some of his earlier scents...and if there is vocal demand from customers there is always a chance he will make another batch of previously deleted scents. Just a vuess but if you demand it he just might work on a small cask as a limited edition. I have Vikt oil that he made over a year ago and love the precious little bottle I have.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense


    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

  5. #425

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I tested Vikt this weekend. I loved it so much, I wore it ALL DAY yesterday (at home, to the gym, after the gym/shower, etc). Those black liquorice top notes are addictive, part of the reason why I wanted to reapply it was to replay that wonderful dry/sweet anisic/dark texture. Love! Still, I can see how the scent sort of disintegrates an hour or so into wearing it into a more Slumberhouse-house-note that made it difficult for me to differentiate it in my mind from Sova, Jeke and Ore - the other Slumberhouse scents I've tested numerously.

    I have a little bit left, perhaps for one more full wearing and I can't wait to wear it again.

    To say the least it is sad that I'm hearing this one is officially discontinued.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Brian, the second one (from the left) is Sova? The third one (from the left) which one is that? Norne?
    It's actually the other way around--with marbles (third from left) is Sova and second from left is Norne.

    If Vikt is really singing to you, it is still available from Parfum1: https://www.parfum1.com/vikt-fragran...itm=SLUMVIKT50
    Last edited by Beranium Chotato; 19th February 2013 at 04:26 AM.

  6. #426

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    If Vikt is really singing to you, it is still available from Parfum1: https://www.parfum1.com/vikt-fragran...itm=SLUMVIKT50
    Or try emailing Josh directly. I bought my bottle of Vikt 2 days ago and he said he still had a couple left.

  7. #427

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    (I've been told I should preface this by saying I'm friends with Josh) You offer a lot of good points, Paul. I agree that doing the deleting for himself is a little annoying for customers, but it is certainly not uncommon in the indie world of perfumery, nor for this line in particular. Take Ore, one of my very favorites from the line. I wish I could own it, but I missed my opportunity during its return a few weeks ago, and it is now discontinued again. I hope for the customers sake he returns Vikt pretty regularly, since I know it was a popular one. Not sure why he chose Jeke over Vikt.

    As for the fragrance lasting thing, you are right again. Personally though, I love it when a fragrance lasts me throughout my entire day. For example, I get up at 6 AM every morning for school/work, and if my fragrance only lasted me until 6 p.m. or so, I'd be missing out on four or five hours of additional goodness. This is where Slumberhouse, Nassomatto, and others excel...that little window of time. Not to mention, in strictly my opinion, Josh's fragrances improve the longer they are on your skin (and often start out on the harsh side), so I love having it last me all day and getting to experience it getting better and better. Now that I think about it, that's the complete opposite of how most fragrances work, starting out strong and interesting, and drying down into a lower version of themselves with some subtleties peaking.

    Good thoughts though.

    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your honesty and politeness.

    I obviously have a short attention span - after 12 hours i've almost forgotten what fragrance i'm wearing. I'm a bit of a fragrance junkie, and sometimes spray myself with 4 different fragrances. As you can see, longevity is important up to a point, but beyond that it is sort of pointless, for me.

    I just feel that there is a meanness in selling 30 ml bottles, irrespective of how concentrated the juice. I can only speculate about Josh's motivations, but is there an issue with 50ml costing too much and putting people off at his new price point ? What if your wife likes it and wants to share ? What if your mates want to try it ? My father in law likes fragrances - should I tell him that i can't spare any because of the small quantity ? Under these very real circumstances, I could go through 30 ml in a flash.

    As I mentioned earlier I really wanted to make Norne my first niche fragrance purchase - now I'm looking at Norne for 30ml / $140 AUD, or something like Sel Marin, which is 100ml for $181 AUD - i understand the difference in strength, uniqueness etc., but the choice seems so much easier now. And I don't want that.

    Tell Josh that some of the cheapskates in his potential customer base prefer the older strength / size / price structure.

  8. #428
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your honesty and politeness.

    I obviously have a short attention span - after 12 hours i've almost forgotten what fragrance i'm wearing. I'm a bit of a fragrance junkie, and sometimes spray myself with 4 different fragrances. As you can see, longevity is important up to a point, but beyond that it is sort of pointless, for me.

    I just feel that there is a meanness in selling 30 ml bottles, irrespective of how concentrated the juice. I can only speculate about Josh's motivations, but is there an issue with 50ml costing too much and putting people off at his new price point ? What if your wife likes it and wants to share ? What if your mates want to try it ? My father in law likes fragrances - should I tell him that i can't spare any because of the small quantity ? Under these very real circumstances, I could go through 30 ml in a flash.

    As I mentioned earlier I really wanted to make Norne my first niche fragrance purchase - now I'm looking at Norne for 30ml / $140 AUD, or something like Sel Marin, which is 100ml for $181 AUD - i understand the difference in strength, uniqueness etc., but the choice seems so much easier now. And I don't want that.

    Tell Josh that some of the cheapskates in his potential customer base prefer the older strength / size / price structure.
    I definitely can understand that standpoint. I guess for me, since I'm a fragrance collector, the 20mL difference isn't a big deal since it will last me years and years. Though, it's also worth noting that you only need one spray from the bottles to last you all day, so if you do the math, it's probably still a close fight:

    Figure 3 sprays is your average usage of a given fragrance, in this case Sel Marin. If you get roughly three wearings per mL (this is a common number used here and elsewhere), that's $1.80/ml divided by 3 wearings, becomes $0.60 per wearing. For Norne at the new pricing structure, it would be 30mL at $140, or $4.60/ml, divided by 9 wearings, becomes $0.51 per wearing.

    I mean, those are just numbers, but to me I don't worry about it. If one of my family members or friends wanted to try it, I wouldn't think twice since I get 9 wearings per mL, so I'm only sacrificing a very little amount, less than normal for a fragrance.

    And, from what I understand from the blog post, the reason he changed the pricing structure is because at one point he was losing money on Norne since it costs so much to produce. I can't personally blame him for wanting his full time job to make him some money.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 19th February 2013 at 01:06 PM.

  9. #429
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,225

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    It's actually the other way around--with marbles (third from left) is Sova and second from left is Norne.

    If Vikt is really singing to you, it is still available from Parfum1: https://www.parfum1.com/vikt-fragran...itm=SLUMVIKT50
    Thanks.

    Does anyone get a prominent oud note from Vikt? I love oud and I love Vikt but I wouldn't say it's very oud prominent, or maybe it is but it's an oud that I'm not familiar with.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

    -- Eckhart Tolle

  10. #430

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Really disappointed in the fact that I will have to hold onto my bottle of Rume and preserve it. Am I missing something with missing the re-release of ORE??? I didn't know Josh did a limited run. I usually receive his emails regarding such announcements.

  11. #431
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Really disappointed in the fact that I will have to hold onto my bottle of Rume and preserve it. Am I missing something with missing the re-release of ORE??? I didn't know Josh did a limited run. I usually receive his emails regarding such announcements.
    I think it was mentioned only on Twitter.

  12. #432

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I wore Pear + Olive to work today--2 light sprays--one on the wrist, one on the back of the neck/head...

    That stuff explodes!

    The sillage for the first 3 to 5 hours is insane. It's a beautifu, beautiful fragrance, but you need to be very careful with how you apply it.

    And it almost smells too good for work, like "What is this beautiful smell doing in this mundane institutional building?"


    I need to change jobs.

  13. #433

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Yea, I've found with most of the Slumberhouse line that one spray is usually enough, two at the very most. I felt like I was suffocating people wearing two sprays of Norne the other day, one on the neck and another on the chest. Slumberhouse scents are pretty darn powerful and like others have said, one bottle is probably enough to last you several years, especially if you have a rotation of scents and follow seasonal guides, i.e. don't wear Norne in the summer months as an example.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

  14. #434

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    imo these most be the most potent juice I have in my collection...I can't imagine the new extract versions of these!!!

  15. #435

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Really disappointed in the fact that I will have to hold onto my bottle of Rume and preserve it. Am I missing something with missing the re-release of ORE??? I didn't know Josh did a limited run. I usually receive his emails regarding such announcements.
    I got the impression that he just stumbled upon a few bottles, not that he made a new batch.

  16. #436

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Darn! I would have snatched one right up. Too bad I don't use twitter Good to be back on BN! Hope all has been well Tony, I took a little break!

  17. #437
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,653

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Does anyone get a prominent oud note from Vikt? I love oud and I love Vikt but I wouldn't say it's very oud prominent, or maybe it is but it's an oud that I'm not familiar with.
    Not prominent -- it's mixed well. But I can detect it in there with the styrax and labdanum.

  18. #438

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I definitely get aoud from Vikt, particularly in the opening hours before the other resins really kick in.

  19. #439

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Darn! I would have snatched one right up. Too bad I don't use twitter Good to be back on BN! Hope all has been well Tony, I took a little break!
    Yeah, I heard about it after the fact, too. Welcome back!

  20. #440

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I stumbled across this line with a sample of Norne. I love it, and will probably order a bottle. My frustration with small houses, is that if you like a sample or the note structure of something, you almost have to buy multiple bottles immediately or risk it not being available. Of the 17+ frags listed in the directory, only 4 are still in production according to Josh's website.. Many of the others looked promising...oh well. As for price, I own 30mls of Amouage Tribute at $600. BUT when you put 3 drops on and it lasts all day, it is not as bad as it sounds. I'd rather pay more and only need a little, than to buy a $60 bottle of dept. store juice that I need to re-apply 3 times.

  21. #441
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    I stumbled across this line with a sample of Norne. I love it, and will probably order a bottle. My frustration with small houses, is that if you like a sample or the note structure of something, you almost have to buy multiple bottles immediately or risk it not being available. Of the 17+ frags listed in the directory, only 4 are still in production according to Josh's website.. Many of the others looked promising...oh well. As for price, I own 30mls of Amouage Tribute at $600. BUT when you put 3 drops on and it lasts all day, it is not as bad as it sounds. I'd rather pay more and only need a little, than to buy a $60 bottle of dept. store juice that I need to re-apply 3 times.
    I definitely agree with that. The attars I am sure are awesome when it comes to longevity, and as I am sure you already found out, one spray of that little sample vial is enough to last you all day with Slumberhouse fragrances as well. I hope you enjoy the line.

    I'm not a fan of all the fragrances, but stuff like Rume was great while it lasted (autumn in a bottle), and kere is really growing on me. As for myself, I own Sova, my personal favorite fragrance from him, and I hope to be ordering Pear and Olive for my mom since it is her birthday and she really likes the scent, and then Norne for myself since I want it badly. She thinks it smells like incese, but I don't really get that vibe.

    I really wish Ore was in production, but as he has said in the past, the ingredients are apparently rare and hard to get a hold of, I just wish I had seen the sale when it happened a month or so ago. Probably one of the best gourmands available.

  22. #442

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Ok, so I have tried 8 different Slumberhouse frags. Eki, Grev Jike, Vikt, Rume, Sana, Norne, and Pear and Olive. I would NEVER think that I would hear my self say this, but they are too projective. I search diligently to find juice that will last on me, but these are crazy strong. Some like Sana and Rume start off with a sickly-sweet fermented fruit that nauseates. Others like Grev, Jeke smell nice, spicy, but way too strong. A shame, even Norne which I liked at first has a monster pine projection that gets on my nerves. I think I am gonna pass on the house, but kudos to the nose for making great projection and sillage The Pear and Olive is the best...it isn't overwhelming...nice pear/orange top, with some nice olive oil.

  23. #443
    Super Member Picassoutine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Josh is an artist (whose medium is fragrance) which means always being in process.
    Someone mentioned he may be working on some lighter fragrances now.
    I'm betting his work will continue to evolve and will definitely be worth watching, and sniffing.
    “When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.”

    Jean Klein

  24. #444

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    Ok, so I have tried 8 different Slumberhouse frags. Eki, Grev Jike, Vikt, Rume, Sana, Norne, and Pear and Olive. I would NEVER think that I would hear my self say this, but they are too projective. I search diligently to find juice that will last on me, but these are crazy strong. Some like Sana and Rume start off with a sickly-sweet fermented fruit that nauseates. Others like Grev, Jeke smell nice, spicy, but way too strong. A shame, even Norne which I liked at first has a monster pine projection that gets on my nerves.
    This was my first impression of Slumberhouse as well, but I soon learnt to apply them with an even lighter hand than I'm accustomed to: just one spray, very diffuse, almost like a mist. My first wearings of Sova, Norne, Jeke etc must have been insufferable to everyone I walked past, but I hope I smell tolerable now (or maybe my nose got used to it). Rume is the only one that I haven't quite nailed - maybe because I don't feel comfortable smelling like sweet spicy fruitcake.

  25. #445

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    Ok, so I have tried 8 different Slumberhouse frags. Eki, Grev Jike, Vikt, Rume, Sana, Norne, and Pear and Olive. I would NEVER think that I would hear my self say this, but they are too projective. I search diligently to find juice that will last on me, but these are crazy strong. Some like Sana and Rume start off with a sickly-sweet fermented fruit that nauseates. Others like Grev, Jeke smell nice, spicy, but way too strong. A shame, even Norne which I liked at first has a monster pine projection that gets on my nerves. I think I am gonna pass on the house, but kudos to the nose for making great projection and sillage The Pear and Olive is the best...it isn't overwhelming...nice pear/orange top, with some nice olive oil.
    I agree. They are all highly concentrated and I feel they are more for those who appreciate and admire what the artist/author of these creations has accomplished than for someone who wants to smell nice/attractive/(pick your adjective) on a day-to-day basis.

  26. #446

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    I agree. They are all highly concentrated and I feel they are more for those who appreciate and admire what the artist/author of these creations has accomplished than for someone who wants to smell nice/attractive/(pick your adjective) on a day-to-day basis.
    I both agree and disagree. Yes, they are highly concentrated (apparently even more so now) and they don't smell what one might imply in words like "nice" and "day-to-day" but those aren't words that I'd use to describe the fragrances that I really love. I'd use words like "evocative" and "beautiful" and "stunning" which I think apply to most of the Slumberhouse offerings.

  27. #447

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I both agree and disagree. Yes, they are highly concentrated (apparently even more so now) and they don't smell what one might imply in words like "nice" and "day-to-day" but those aren't words that I'd use to describe the fragrances that I really love. I'd use words like "evocative" and "beautiful" and "stunning" which I think apply to most of the Slumberhouse offerings.
    True enough, but I'm talking about mainstream fragrances. For better or worse, much of what some 'really love', which is lauded and admired here, will have a hard time being so received on the street. Especially when prices are taken into consideration.

  28. #448
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    True enough, but I'm talking about mainstream fragrances. For better or worse, much of what some 'really love', which is lauded and admired here, will have a hard time being so received on the street. Especially when prices are taken into consideration.
    I've gotten compliments on Pear and Olive from family and friends, all of whom know nothing about fragrances. I know they are not passers by or anything, but I think some of the offerings are more mainstream friendly than others.

  29. #449

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I've gotten compliments on Pear and Olive from family and friends, all of whom know nothing about fragrances. I know they are not passers by or anything, but I think some of the offerings are more mainstream friendly than others.
    Some, perhaps, but if I had to point them out I could only go with Pear and Olive.

  30. #450
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    I agree. They are all highly concentrated and I feel they are more for those who appreciate and admire what the artist/author of these creations has accomplished than for someone who wants to smell nice/attractive/(pick your adjective) on a day-to-day basis.
    I disagree. I like them as creations, AND I get compliments on them from random friends and acquaintances, none of whom are particularly scent-conscious, when I wear them out. Which I do, to no particular special occasion, including work. (I don't get comments from people standing six feet away, either; it's mostly when people hug me, so as far as I can tell they're not monsters of projection on me either.)

    I don't find Slumberhouse forbidding in the least. The scents are interesting AND attractive (as opposed to interesting and weird/offputting) while not being of a piece with the general cloud of fragrance in the average department store frag aisle.

  31. #451

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I disagree. I like them as creations, AND I get compliments on them from random friends and acquaintances, none of whom are particularly scent-conscious, when I wear them out. Which I do, to no particular special occasion, including work. (I don't get comments from people standing six feet away, either; it's mostly when people hug me, so as far as I can tell they're not monsters of projection on me either.)
    You might disagree, but you're not disproving my point. You can get random compliments, sure, but have you had someone ask and then purchase a Slumberhouse fragrance? They're the people I'm talking about.

  32. #452
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    A lot of my friends are hippie types who moan about scent pollution and don't use any products that aren't scent-free and vegan and organic, so the mere fact that I'm getting compliments at all instead of ostentatious gagging noises is pretty significant.

    Anyway, how many times does that happen at all? I think I've asked someone about their scent because I wanted to try it twice in my entire life, and I care.

    (Not to mention the import factor, what with customs and potential confiscation, means that people in my area would REALLY need to care to purchase these particular fragrances.)

  33. #453

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    Anyway, how many times does that happen at all? I think I've asked someone about their scent because I wanted to try it twice in my entire life, and I care.
    I've done it on a number of occasions, the last resulted in my purchase of 1 million over the summer. But if you're going to laud a fragrance and advertise it as something functional on the mainstream level, that's what I'd expect to see examples of.

  34. #454
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I didn't say they were "functional on a mainstream level", I said they were both interesting AND attractive, and functional, at least for me, within the compass of my life as a more or less regularly worn fragrance, without apparently disturbing or distressing either the alternative or the conventional people I encounter.

    I don't, personally, give a **** about "mainstream", but I give a great many about using/wearing/buying only those things that I find useful and aesthetically pleasing.

  35. #455

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I didn't say they were "functional on a mainstream level", I said they were both interesting AND attractive, and functional, at least for me, within the compass of my life as a more or less regularly worn fragrance, without apparently disturbing or distressing either the alternative or the conventional people I encounter.

    I don't, personally, give a **** about "mainstream", but I give a great many about using/wearing/buying only those things that I find useful and aesthetically pleasing.
    If you don't much care for the 'mainstream' then why disagree with my characterization of it? That is, after all, what one would think of when imaging a consumer who "wants to smell nice/attractive/(pick your adjective) on a day-to-day basis." I think we're debating two different issues.

  36. #456
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    That is, after all, what one would think of when imaging a consumer who "wants to smell nice/attractive/(pick your adjective) on a day-to-day basis."
    It... it is?

    What does attractive/pleasant/pick your adjective have to do with popular, mainstream, easily available on the public concourse, whatever? There are plenty of things that are beautiful -- and would be considered beautiful even by people who might not necessarily be considered sophisticated or aesthetically educated -- which are rare, or not advertised, or available only from one tiny craftsperson who lives two kilometres off the beaten path in Backwoods Farton and only sells at their local farmer's market.

    Advertising and hype, on the other hand, has resulted in plenty of really unattractive things becoming "popular" and "mainstream" regardless of their actual appeal, and even at great expense. I give you, for instance, Ugg boots.

  37. #457

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    It... it is?

    What does attractive/pleasant/pick your adjective have to do with popular, mainstream, easily available on the public concourse, whatever? There are plenty of things that are beautiful -- and would be considered beautiful even by people who might not necessarily be considered sophisticated or aesthetically educated -- which are rare, or not advertised, or available only from one tiny craftsperson who lives two kilometres off the beaten path in Backwoods Farton and only sells at their local farmer's market.

    Advertising and hype, on the other hand, has resulted in plenty of really unattractive things becoming "popular" and "mainstream" regardless of their actual appeal, and even at great expense. I give you, for instance, Ugg boots.
    Once more, we're talking past each other. A simple solution would be the following: take a fragrance like Acqua di Gio or 1 Million, and then any Slumberhouse scent. Find 100 people on the street and let them sample each then pick which they would wear on a day-to-day basis. What do you think they'll pick?

  38. #458
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,251

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Can't wait to get my samples... Hopefully today.

  39. #459

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Agreed Tony...except for Pear & Olive which I would consider the most inoffensive and suitable for day-to-day use. The other fragrances within the line are evocative and more or less wearable art. The Slumberhouse line evokes fragrance memories like no other line has for me. Vikt - my grandmother used to buy ginger snaps when I was a child. Rume - reminds me of visiting the hallmark store with my grandmother and mom to pick out xmas ornaments when I was younger. I mean I LOVE Chanel's Sycomore...it's a beautiful beautiful fragrance, but it's not the thought evoking trip down memory lane that is a Slumberhouse frag.

  40. #460
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Once more, we're talking past each other. A simple solution would be the following: take a fragrance like Acqua di Gio or 1 Million, and then any Slumberhouse scent. Find 100 people on the street and let them sample each then pick which they would wear on a day-to-day basis. What do you think they'll pick?
    If they were in plain unlabelled vials, I'd be interested to observe that experiment. More people than you think might pick the Slumberhouse.

  41. #461

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    If they were in plain unlabelled vials, I'd be interested to observe that experiment. More people than you think might pick the Slumberhouse.
    More than I might think but not enough to disprove my point.

  42. #462
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    I don't think I understand your point, at all. And I don't agree with you.

    There are aspects of my presentation, hair and clothes in particular, which get the "qualified compliment" -- "that looks great on you, but I could never do that."

    On the other hand, when I've been complimented on my smell, particularly when wearing Jeke, or Sova, there has been no qualification. Not even from otherwise conventionally-dressing and -acting straight women, whom you would expect to wear and like (and who do wear) accepted, pretty, pink-bottled, floral fragrances. Just, "you smell amazing, I love your perfume, what is that?"

    Now, if I gave these women a spritz of my bottle, they might not feel the same about it on their own skin; maybe they might experience the overwhelming projection and roughness others in this thread have mentioned in relation to this range of scents. But as they smell on me, no one seems to think that Slumberhouse is in any way difficult to love, that they've mentioned to me.

    Certain "mainstream" scents do seem to be formulated to smell the same on as many people as possible, with less possibility of variation, but even that is not always the case.

    I think that if you take away the marketing and the moody magazine ads featuring sultry water-drops running down bare skin, and somehow let people who wanted to wear perfume choose it purely by their own testing and preference, that a lot of people might not pick what is currently popular, or easy to get, or what their friends wear -- an impossible thing, of course.

    But to argue that what is popular or sells well or can be purchased without knowing about an obscure small-batch supplier is therefore more attractive does not compute.
    Last edited by CompassRose; 12th March 2013 at 08:59 PM.

  43. #463

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I don't think I understand your point, at all. And I don't agree with you.
    Maybe you should first try to understand my point before you disagree with me?

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    There are aspects of my presentation, hair and clothes in particular, which get the "qualified compliment" -- "that looks great on you, but I could never do that."

    On the other hand, when I've been complimented on my smell, particularly when wearing Jeke, or Sova, there has been no qualification. Not even from otherwise conventionally-dressing and -acting straight women, whom you would expect to wear and like (and who do wear) accepted, pretty, pink-bottled, floral fragrances. Just, "you smell amazing, I love your perfume, what is that?"

    Now, if I gave these women a spritz of my bottle, they might not feel the same about it on their own skin; maybe they might experience the overwhelming projection and roughness others in this thread have mentioned in relation to this range of scents. But as they smell on me, no one seems to think that Slumberhouse is in any way difficult to love, that they've mentioned to me.
    Once more, you're discussing your relative experiences whereas I'm trying to qualify Slumberhouse offerings in terms of what's available at retail locations and marketed for a rather wide audience. Case in point, Slumberhouse is rather strong (concentrated) and on the pricey side compared to what's available on the 'mainstream' market. If one variable doesn't influence someone the other inevitably will. There are few who will be drawn to Slumberhouse offerings because they are more concerned with finding a fragrance they can wear on a day-to-day basis that's affordable and acceptable to the public. That's the 'mainstream public', they're fickle and easily influenced. Now, coming back to my original statement:

    They are all highly concentrated and I feel they are more for those who appreciate and admire what the artist/author of these creations has accomplished than for someone who wants to smell nice/attractive/(pick your adjective) on a day-to-day basis.
    Those chiming in to say they appreciate Slumberhouse fragrances don't simply say they enjoy the smell. They say, and I quote:

    I'd use words like "evocative" and "beautiful" and "stunning" which I think apply to most of the Slumberhouse offerings.
    thought evoking trip down memory lane that is a Slumberhouse frag.
    So, the point is that many get something else out of this fragrance than the simple 'smells nice'. And yet 'smells nice' is what most of the public is after. Thus, as I said initially, "I feel they are more for those who appreciate and admire what the artist/author of these creations has accomplished than for someone who wants to smell nice."

  44. #464
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Well then, don't talk about affordability, marketing success and availability as if they have anything to do with aesthetics, because they don't.

    And I don't know why you're dismissing my relative experience. The people responding to my fragrance have no idea what I'm wearing. I don't have a button on my chest saying "My perfume was created by Portland artist Josh Lobb. It is obscure and expensive and has a cool name." For all they know, I might have bought it at Shoppers Drug Mart. They're not responding to it as art, they're responding to what I smell like, and saying "you smell good. You smell NICE."
    Last edited by CompassRose; 12th March 2013 at 09:46 PM.

  45. #465

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    Well then, don't talk about affordability, marketing success and availability as if they have anything to do with aesthetics, because they don't.
    I never said they did. But they all have an impact on the decisions made by the majority of the public.

  46. #466

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    My point when I stated that they were too strong, wasn't just "too strong" I own some powerhouses but too strong with some note that kills it for me. The fermented grape/fruit note in Sana and Rume is nauseating. The nutmeg/clove notes in several of the others "slaps me in the face" I tried spritzing up in the air, and stepping under...this works with other powerhouses I own. But the volume is turned up full on every note. Even Norne, which smells like wonderful pine, is too "loud" I applaud the perfumer's attempt at projection and longevity, but I'll pass with this house. I put my whole set on EBAY.

  47. #467

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Agreed, they're way strong. Also, I agree with Norne...the pine note is far too much for me to wear. I think the key with Slumberhouse is application...I'd never spray any of the scents I own on my shirt. Every time I apply Slumberhouse frags I hit my wrist once, rub both wrists together and apply around my neck. I have to do the same with Givenchy Play Intense and Chanel Eau Extreme...I don't think it's unique to the line. Plus, it's easy for any absolute juice to be completely overbearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    My point when I stated that they were too strong, wasn't just "too strong" I own some powerhouses but too strong with some note that kills it for me. The fermented grape/fruit note in Sana and Rume is nauseating. The nutmeg/clove notes in several of the others "slaps me in the face" I tried spritzing up in the air, and stepping under...this works with other powerhouses I own. But the volume is turned up full on every note. Even Norne, which smells like wonderful pine, is too "loud" I applaud the perfumer's attempt at projection and longevity, but I'll pass with this house. I put my whole set on EBAY.

  48. #468

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    I agree. They are all highly concentrated and I feel they are more for those who appreciate and admire what the artist/author of these creations has accomplished than for someone who wants to smell nice/attractive/(pick your adjective) on a day-to-day basis.
    Interesting - I have found Slumberhouse frags to be much more wearable than many other indie/niche scents. Certainly they're not as wearable as the designer fragrances out today, but that's why people turn to indie houses, isn't it?

    Tauer and ELd'O are two houses that I find have gone more the 'art' route than the 'wearable' way.
    Granted ELd'O are meant to be more avant-garde than anything on the market so aren't the best example, but I find Tauer's frags sacrifice wearability and versatility for 'artistic expression.' I believe that Slumberhouse deftly treads the line between art and wearability, making unique fragrances that are really rather versatile (obviously some more so than others).
    I see them as akin to Serge Lutens' scents; they're unique but most of them are quite wearable. You don't need to hide yourself away and 'appreciate' these fragrances, fearful that other people won't 'get' them - you can get out and share them with the world.

    I'm wearing Sana today and it is a fantastic office-scent, Ore as well is ideal for more formal environments.

  49. #469

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Interesting - I have found Slumberhouse frags to be much more wearable than many other indie/niche scents. Certainly they're not as wearable as the designer fragrances out today, but that's why people turn to indie houses, isn't it?
    Well, some, or many of us, want to express ourselves in different ways. There are those who turn to fancy clothes, electronics, jewelry, or other accessories and there are those who turn to niche fragrance designers because they offer something others don't. Again, it's an appreciation more for the art and artist than the fulfillment of a simple need.

  50. #470
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Once more, we're talking past each other. A simple solution would be the following: take a fragrance like Acqua di Gio or 1 Million, and then any Slumberhouse scent. Find 100 people on the street and let them sample each then pick which they would wear on a day-to-day basis. What do you think they'll pick?
    This is a moot point. Designer fragrances are meant for the masses, niche and more specifically slumberhouse are not.

    Also, stop being a troll and let people enjoy what they want. If we wanted to smell like everyone else or "acceptable" we wouldn't choose this style of perfumery. Go back to adg if you want, I'll stick with Sova.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Agreed, they're way strong. Also, I agree with Norne...the pine note is far too much for me to wear. I think the key with Slumberhouse is application...I'd never spray any of the scents I own on my shirt. Every time I apply Slumberhouse frags I hit my wrist once, rub both wrists together and apply around my neck. I have to do the same with Givenchy Play Intense and Chanel Eau Extreme...I don't think it's unique to the line. Plus, it's easy for any absolute juice to be completely overbearing.
    One spray is more than enough . Also, don't rub in any fragrance!

  51. #471

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    This is a moot point. Designer fragrances are meant for the masses, niche and more specifically slumberhouse are not.
    On the contrary, designer fragrances have the option of being mass marketed, there are plenty that are not. Niche fragrances are available to the masses, therefore they are meant for the masses.

    Also, stop being a troll and let people enjoy what they want. If we wanted to smell like everyone else or "acceptable" we wouldn't choose this style of perfumery. Go back to adg if you want, I'll stick with Sova.
    Keep your ad hominems to yourself and build your own straw man. I said nothing about you nor do you speak for 'everyone'.

  52. #472
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    On the contrary, designer fragrances have the option of being mass marketed, there are plenty that are not. Niche fragrances are available to the masses, therefore they are meant for the masses.



    Keep your ad hominems to yourself and build your own straw man. I said nothing about you nor do you speak for 'everyone'.
    Keep your high school philosophy terms to yourself and focus on what you are saying. You've changed points 3 or more times here in the last few hours. You just said that if I were to ask 100 people which one they preferred, they would most likely prefer a designer fragrance. There are MANY MANY MANY MANY reasons for this. First, designer fragrances, and in fact most fragrances rely on top notes to "sell" the fragrance. Josh does not use any top notes in fragrances, since he cares about what happens in hours 5-16 more than 1-2. Another reason is because designer fragrances in general are designed to appeal to a lot of people. Anyone who says different is daft. Simple as that. Niche fragrances as a whole adhere to their name, niche markets. Not mass markets. If you honestly think the average person knows what Creed, by Kilian, or Serge Lutens is, you're mistaken. This is because, like most other things, only people who care about the hobby know the names and the scents.

    What I don't understand is why you want to constantly call out anyone who says differently? Do you really care this much about bashing niche houses, or Slumberhouse in particular? Are you mad for some reason? All I know is that in 8 months of wearing non-Slumberhouse fragrances, I got 0 compliments. In the one month I wore them nearly exclusively, I got 10+ compliments. So, Compass feels similarly, I do, and so do plenty of others. Can we all just go home now and talk about Slumberhouse again, or do we have to continue this asinine conversation that has no clear point?

  53. #473

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Keep your high school philosophy terms to yourself and focus on what you are saying.
    Both are logical fallacies, which you've committed, quite different from philosophy.

    You've changed points 3 or more times here in the last few hours.
    How have I changed my points? The only thing I've done is attempt to rephrased them to help others understand what I mean.

    You just said that if I were to ask 100 people which one they preferred, they would most likely prefer a designer fragrance. There are MANY MANY MANY MANY reasons for this.
    If you agreed with my point, there's no need to expand.

    First, designer fragrances, and in fact most fragrances rely on top notes to "sell" the fragrance. Josh does not use any top notes in fragrances, since he cares about what happens in hours 5-16 more than 1-2. Another reason is because designer fragrances in general are designed to appeal to a lot of people. Anyone who says different is daft. Simple as that.
    And what about this makes what I said invalid?

    All I know is that in 8 months of wearing non-Slumberhouse fragrances, I got 0 compliments. In the one month I wore them nearly exclusively, I got 10+ compliments.
    I experienced the opposite, but I'm not solely using my limited experiences as a crutch for how the majority would respond to these fragrances.

    I'll simply say that I have no stake in this debate/conversation. I hope everyone has a chance to discover these fragrances, but that doesn't mean my initial thoughts have no validity. These are scents that I personally don't see as something many people would want to wear on a day-to-day basis because, as mentioned, the concentration is high (i.e. they are powerful in addition to being original) and so is the price.
    Last edited by NYCBoomBoom; 13th March 2013 at 02:41 AM.

  54. #474
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Both are logical fallacies, which you've committed, quite different from philosophy.



    How have I changed my points? The only thing I've done is attempt to rephrased them to help others understand what I mean.



    If you agreed with my point, there's no need to expand.



    And what about this makes what I said invalid?



    I experienced the opposite, but I'm not solely using my limited experiences as a crutch for how the majority would respond to these fragrances.

    I'll simply say that I have no stake in this debate/conversation. I hope everyone has a chance to discover these fragrances, but that doesn't mean my initial thoughts have no validity. These are scents that I personally don't see as something many people would want to wear on a day-to-day basis because, as mentioned, the concentration is high (i.e. they are powerful in addition to being original) and so is the price.
    First, logical fallacies are a part of philosophy. Hence why college courses have it in PHL 101, like I took.

    Second, your argument is invalid because you could input literally any other niche fragrance house and have the same conclusion. Thus, they are not meant to "appeal to mainstream" people, which you said they are before.

    Third, when you quoted someone who said they'd describe them as beautiful, how does that mean they don't smell good? How? I use "beautiful" when a fragrance smells so good it is literally a thing of beauty. Or for that matter stunning?

    Forth and most importantly, the point of the fragrances is, to my understanding, be interesting and unique, not something a million people want to wear. If you want to wear a fragrance day to day, don't buy one of these (which you clearly won't). The reason people are so passionate around here is because they DO want to smell interesting and "avante-garde," even though I hate that term. I forget who mentioned it in the past, maybe it was Brian Chambers, but they are meant for those who are interested in things that are NOT mainstream, even as far as niche is concerned.

    I want to mention that I hold no animosity toward you or anyone who dislikes the fragrances I like, especially slumberhouse ones. I personally enjoy them, get complimented on them, and could care less if I smell "good" to others. I'm not that egocentric.

    EDIT: It may also be worth noting my 54 year old mother has 2 fragrances, and has worn really only 1 her who life. Yet, when she wore Pear and Olive, she immediately told me she wanted a bottle for her birthday (which I am in the process of getting for her). I think that proves that, in yet another instance, fragrance novices can like at least that fragrance from the house.

  55. #475

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    First, logical fallacies are a part of philosophy. Hence why college courses have it in PHL 101, like I took.
    I stand corrected. Nonetheless, your use of two fallacies served no purpose.

    Second, your argument is invalid because you could input literally any other niche fragrance house and have the same conclusion. Thus, they are not meant to "appeal to mainstream" people, which you said they are before.
    That does not invalidate my argument in the least. Niche houses are not all the same. And 'niche' fragrances can be mass produced by designer houses as well. Some will appeal to more of the public than others. Yes, I can make the argument for other houses, but just like Slumberhouse they will have one or two that might appeal to more than their other offerings.

    Third, when you quoted someone who said they'd describe them as beautiful, how does that mean they don't smell good? How? I use "beautiful" when a fragrance smells so good it is literally a thing of beauty. Or for that matter stunning?
    You misunderstood. I quoted that person to show how much the fragrance affected them. Most people will simply label fragrances 'good/nice' or 'bad/smelly', they will hardly take the time to dissect them and allow them to influence their thoughts and memories.

    Forth and most importantly, the point of the fragrances is, to my understanding, be interesting and unique, not something a million people want to wear. If you want to wear a fragrance day to day, don't buy one of these (which you clearly won't). The reason people are so passionate around here is because they DO want to smell interesting and "avante-garde," even though I hate that term. I forget who mentioned it in the past, maybe it was Brian Chambers, but they are meant for those who are interested in things that are NOT mainstream, even as far as niche is concerned.
    Once more, I don't speak for everyone and I would expect the same from you. Yes, there are many here who are happy to be 'daring' in what they wear, or 'avant-garde', but there are plenty of others, which you can find commenting in this thread, who think this is goes beyond what they are willing to risk/wear.

    I want to mention that I hold no animosity toward you or anyone who dislikes the fragrances I like, especially slumberhouse ones. I personally enjoy them, get complimented on them, and could care less if I smell "good" to others. I'm not that egocentric.
    Then there's no reason to begin calling me a 'troll' for attempting to state an opinion and defend it. I, at the very least, supported Slumberhouse in that I ordered samples. While I might not order a full bottle in the near future, that doesn't mean I don't respect what Slumberhouse has accomplished.

    EDIT: It may also be worth noting my 54 year old mother has 2 fragrances, and has worn really only 1 her who life. Yet, when she wore Pear and Olive, she immediately told me she wanted a bottle for her birthday (which I am in the process of getting for her). I think that proves that, in yet another instance, fragrance novices can like at least that fragrance from the house.
    And yet my mother, who owns some forty fragrances, was not a fan of any scent aside from Pear and Olive, but not enough of a fan to want to own a bottle or advocate for my ordering one for myself.

  56. #476
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    You misunderstood. I quoted that person to show how much the fragrance affected them. Most people will simply label fragrances 'good/nice' or 'bad/smelly', they will hardly take the time to dissect them and allow them to influence their thoughts and memories.
    People are emotionally affected by the cheapest drugstore fragrance. Price has nothing to do with that. And some people who wear expensive niche fragrances are merely doing so because it smells good/nice to them -- or it has the "right" name, or is reputed to pull the most babes out at the club. This is not a dividing point between niche and not.

    Once more, I don't speak for everyone and I would expect the same from you. Yes, there are many here who are happy to be 'daring' in what they wear, or 'avant-garde', but there are plenty of others, which you can find commenting in this thread, who think this is goes beyond what they are willing to risk/wear.
    And is this inherent in the fragrance, or is it because the fragrance is not the right one for them, their personality, their skin chemistry? Chanel No. 5 goes beyond what I'd be willing to risk/wear, personally, because it smells aggressively lousy on me. I don't know why there is this sense -- not just from you, from a great segment of this community -- that a fragrance ought to be universally applicable, that if it works for one person for "evenings out" that it's a great evening scent for anyone, that "a fragrance collection" should include this, that or the other style of thing. Slumberhouse isn't for everyone. 1 Million isn't for everyone (and I'd need more asthma inhalers if it was). Marketing and hype may persuade some people -- or many people -- that they need the Thneed of the Year like everyone else, but that style of Thneed will fit some like a glove, and be irretrievably awkward or unflattering on others. And I'm quite sure that in fragrance, too, we all have a bit of that experience in our past -- the Obsession in high school which in retrospect even you didn't like on yourself, the Polo that you wore because everyone else did and it was The Thing To Do.

    I'm sure, by the way, that if, say, the parent company of Dolce & Gabbana or Givenchy, etc. bought Josh out, and whacked out a big aggressive marketing campaign (let us leave aside the practicalities of reproducing the scents in mass market amounts, for the sake of argument) that they could totally sell Rume or Norne or Sova to the "masses" just like anything else. But I don't see why you seem to think that's a desirable goal -- for any product, really -- or why that gives it any kind of credibility.

  57. #477

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    People are emotionally affected by the cheapest drugstore fragrance.
    So you're just going to throw around generalizations now?

    Price has nothing to do with that.
    It does for many. Not everyone is willing to put down $125 for 30ml to relieve memories or feel beautiful.

    And some people who wear expensive niche fragrances are merely doing so because it smells good/nice to them -- or it has the "right" name, or is reputed to pull the most babes out at the club. This is not a dividing point between niche and not.
    We're not talking about random niche fragrances, we're talking specifically about Slumberhouse offerings.

    And is this inherent in the fragrance, or is it because the fragrance is not the right one for them, their personality, their skin chemistry?
    All of those factors can be intertwined with the strength of the fragrance.

    I don't know why there is this sense -- not just from you, from a great segment of this community -- that a fragrance ought to be universally applicable, that if it works for one person for "evenings out" that it's a great evening scent for anyone, that "a fragrance collection" should include this, that or the other style of thing.
    Because some appeal to a larger portion of the population than others. Perhaps the ratio as it stands in the case of Slumberhouse will change in the coming year, five years, or decade.

    Slumberhouse isn't for everyone. 1 Million isn't for everyone (and I'd need more asthma inhalers if it was). Marketing and hype may persuade some people -- or many people -- that they need the Thneed of the Year like everyone else, but that style of Thneed will fit some like a glove, and be irretrievably awkward or unflattering on others. And I'm quite sure that in fragrance, too, we all have a bit of that experience in our past -- the Obsession in high school which in retrospect even you didn't like on yourself, the Polo that you wore because everyone else did and it was The Thing To Do.
    I never wore Polo, it was Acqua di Gio, which I can't stand today. But, once more, we're talking past each other. Slumberhouse's offerings are not 'safe' scents, which many that are popular can be classified as, nor are they scents that have been mass marketed and tested. We can only lean on anecdotal data if we want to be more than immediately subjective.

    I'm sure, by the way, that if, say, the parent company of Dolce & Gabbana or Givenchy, etc. bought Josh out, and whacked out a big aggressive marketing campaign (let us leave aside the practicalities of reproducing the scents in mass market amounts, for the sake of argument) that they could totally sell Rume or Norne or Sova to the "masses" just like anything else. But I don't see why you seem to think that's a desirable goal -- for any product, really -- or why that gives it any kind of credibility.
    If Slumberhouse was bought out, the product would be watered down, that's without doubt. If kept the same, it would be equivalent to the Private Blend line that Tom Ford offers. But, personally, the more interesting question is if Creed or Bond no. 9 were to suddenly cost a fraction of their price, and we did the same to Slumberhouse, keeping their offerings limited to some 5-7 'best sellers', and keeping the quality the same, who do you honestly think would sell the most?

  58. #478
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose
    People are emotionally affected by the cheapest drugstore fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    So you're just going to throw around generalizations now?
    No. That wasn't meant as a generalisation. What I meant was, specific people will experience similar things from very cheap fragrances which for whatever reason influence, as you say, their thoughts and memories. And I repeat, price has nothing to do with whether this phenomenon will occur with an individual. Cheap, expensive, intended as art, intended as a throwaway celebufrag -- any of these may cause a powerful effect with a given individual.

    It does for many. Not everyone is willing to put down $125 for 30ml to relieve memories or feel beautiful.
    Now you're arguing backward. And I repeat, price has nothing to do with it, so isn't it lucky that some people can relive memories or feel beautiful with something that only costs thirty bucks?

    We're not talking about random niche fragrances, we're talking specifically about Slumberhouse offerings.
    Sometimes you are, sometimes you aren't. Your arguments range widely, and apparently aimlessly at times.

    .... which do you honestly think would sell the most?
    Read what I posted. Who cares? Why do you care? Why is that important? What does that prove? It is enough that it exists, and that some people like it, and some people like it a lot.

  59. #479

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post

    No. That wasn't meant as a generalisation. What I meant was, specific people will experience similar things from very cheap fragrances which for whatever reason influence, as you say, their thoughts and memories. And I repeat, price has nothing to do with whether this phenomenon will occur with an individual. Cheap, expensive, intended as art, intended as a throwaway celebufrag -- any of these may cause a powerful effect with a given individual.
    Yes, but you're talking about a limited set of people, at least more limited than I have in mind. The majority of people out there will simply buy something that they like, they won't give it that much thought. Whereas others will dissect fragrances, be they selling for $10 or $1000.

    Now you're arguing backward. And I repeat, price has nothing to do with it, so isn't it lucky that some people can relive memories or feel beautiful with something that only costs thirty bucks?
    I'm simply going back to my initial point, that price plays a role. And yes, it's lucky that a simple fragrance can mean a lot to someone, but again, see above.


    Sometimes you are, sometimes you aren't. Your arguments range widely.
    Not really. My comparisons to Slumberhouse might range widely, but at the other end is always Slumberhouse.

    Read what I posted. Who cares? Why do you care? Why is that important? What does that prove? It is enough that it exists, and that some people like it, and some people like it a lot.
    Because my point is that what is being offered is something that will mainly appeal to those who value the artist and his creations. You, apparently, disagree with that.

  60. #480
    Super Member CompassRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Greater Toronto area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Slumberhouse

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    Because my point is that what is being offered is something that will mainly appeal to those who value the artist and his creations. You, apparently, disagree with that.
    Yep. Because, ultimately, fragrance is a subjective thing, and my subjective experience is that that is not the case. I have received more compliments in a few months of wearing Slumberhouse, like Octavarium, than in my entire lifetime before -- not that I was wearing any expansive range before, but nothing else I've ever worn has drawn this much positive attention. It has come from people who have never expressed any interest in fragrance whatsoever; from people who have openly stated their dislike of most fragrances; from people who wear the name-brand scents of mall stores.

    None of them know anything about Josh as an artist, or that they are supposed to be Appreciating My Fragrance For Its Artistic Value. They like it.

    And frankly, I'm not sitting about writing poetry inspired by my Slumberhouse, or thinking elegiacally about my great-aunt's root cellar. I just like it, and think it smells good, and enjoy wearing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000