Code of Conduct
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Slumberhouse

Default Re: Slumberhouse

i am looking for a bottle of iska and kere i wanted to know if anyone bought a bottle and would like to trade sell it

also looking for mur verg , and the first version of kote that were sold on indie scents last summer please just send me a pm if anyone can help me

ps i like grev i alwaysd enjoyed this scent so i guess iam one of the few

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Geoff, you might be able to water them down with some perfumer's alcohol. As it is, 1/2 a spray tends to be more than enough. You might also simply spray an item of clothing, but given how dark they are, you'll probably get some staining.
    Yea that might work, thanks. actually got the rash after 6 days of wearing sova, maybe if i dont wear it for to many days straight.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I think I'm the only person that's ever purchased a bottle of Grev haha. No love anywhere for Grev, but I enjoy it.
    Hey, I bought and enjoy it, too! There aren't a lot of us, but I'm a proud Grev wearer!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    Hey, I bought and enjoy it, too! There aren't a lot of us, but I'm a proud Grev wearer!
    No, I don't think there are a lot of you guys. Grev is my least favourite of the line, but I can still appreciate its uniqueness and the fact that it doesn't smell 'bad'. Those sharp green fragrances just aren't for me.
    I never got the overwhelming clove note that others report, though.

I did, however, just buy my sixth Slumberhouse - a full bottle of Baque - so now there's three bottles with the marbles and three without. If memory serves and history repeats it should arrive in 10 days or so.

same here --->>>
    If i had sampled this house b4 I had bought my other parfums, i might not have gone to other houses at all...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    same here --->>>

If i had sampled this house b4 I had bought my other parfums, i might not have gone to other houses at all...
    14 hours later, Grev's still going strong on me! I just went to a scent workshop thing, and people were picking up on it. Once it settles, it's very subtle, and really does smell exactly what I'd imagine water would smell like if it smelled!

It's actually one of my least favorites, but I like to submit myself to a day of Slumberhouse -- even the ones I'm not keen on now and again -- just for the effect it brings. Totally worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    I did, however, just buy my sixth Slumberhouse - a full bottle of Baque - so now there's three bottles with the marbles and three without. If memory serves and history repeats it should arrive in 10 days or so.
    Interesting. There are folks here still looking for Baque (I got one of the last also).

Have a bottle of Norne and extra samples on the way, looking forward to it...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

A question if I may; I have the 4 new extraits but three of them came with caps and the last, (Pear&Olive) did not.
    All 30ml bottles with the marbles in them. I read that Josh was going to exclude caps now because the new atomizer are so good,(agreed). All of these were acquired from Parfum1. Does anyone have the new extrait bottles that came with with caps on them or are all of your new bottles capless?

The bottle of Rume I acquired does have a cap but as I understand it, that was SOP for Slumberhouse on the EdP's.

BTW....one spray of Rume to test......scented the whole house, top and bottom floors and was unable to be washed off in the shower with a serious scrubbing. More powerful than the extraits for me!

Mine were all purchased thru Josh / SH except 1 from Alder & co - all have caps; i would somehow prefer caps irrespective of how gd the sprayer is as there might be accidental discharge...

What are your thoughts on Rume? It is probably my favorite in the Slumberhouse line with Baque a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    A question if I may; I have the 4 new extraits but three of them came with caps and the last, (Pear&Olive) did not.
    All 30ml bottles with the marbles in them. I read that Josh was going to exclude caps now because the new atomizer are so good,(agreed). All of these were acquired from Parfum1. Does anyone have the new extrait bottles that came with with caps on them or are all of your new bottles capless?

The bottle of Rume I acquired does have a cap but as I understand it, that was SOP for Slumberhouse on the EdP's.

BTW....one spray of Rume to test......scented the whole house, top and bottom floors and was unable to be washed off in the shower with a serious scrubbing. More powerful than the extraits for me!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

I tried Grev again today. Sprayed well away from my face because like Kere it makes my head feel funny. I like it a lot better this time, perhaps because it's more seasonal - what a gloriously perfect smell this is for a beautiful early May day. (Am I in the minority for actually loving the opening of Grev? I think it's my favourite bit, in fact, and it's the only one whose far drydown I wasn't that mad about. I found the very end of Grev disappointingly ordinary. I'll see how I feel about it today....)

I totally agree with you. I found the opening of Grev to be quite nice, I didn't get the harsh clove blast that most speak of. Instead I got a super fresh medicinal whiff that simply smells both clean and elegant. The dry down I found rather flat and dull. But the dry down I'm speaking of happens after 8+ hours, so overall...I like it and own a small bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I tried Grev again today. Sprayed well away from my face because like Kere it makes my head feel funny. I like it a lot better this time, perhaps because it's more seasonal - what a gloriously perfect smell this is for a beautiful early May day. (Am I in the minority for actually loving the opening of Grev? I think it's my favourite bit, in fact, and it's the only one whose far drydown I wasn't that mad about. I found the very end of Grev disappointingly ordinary. I'll see how I feel about it today....)
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

I like Grev too and all other creations of SH - only issue I have is with Pear & Olive - my nose just shut down and I couldn't smell anything when I first sampled this, will be sampling again this weekend - I am still buying this, don't want to miss out and start hunting later on or find it almost impossible to find - like Ore (& these --->>> Mur / Kote / Mora / Verg & Invisible Musk)...

I am kind of kicking myself in the ass for not purchasing a big bottle of Vikt because of this...

I am still buying this, don't want to miss out and start hunting later on or find it almost impossible to find

I found the opening of Grev to be quite nice, I didn't get the harsh clove blast that most speak of. Instead I got a super fresh medicinal whiff that simply smells both clean and elegant. The dry down I found rather flat and dull. But the dry down I'm speaking of happens after 8+ hours, so overall...I like it and own a small bottle.
    I'm kind of the opposite in that I really like that super fresh and relatively tame dry down it gives, but am not too keen on the opening. I can handle the cloves (I don't find them to be that dominant either) and whatever about it is making it medicinal is great too, but it's the balsamic that throws me a bit.

I absolutely despise mainstream aquatics, and this is the closest I've come to finding a fragrance that offers some of what calone only wishes it could do.

I get the balsamic note that you're referring to, I find it strange...Comme des Garcons like in nature. I think that's why I like it so much. I found the base to be extremely metallic which I find rather off-putting, but tolerable.

I'm kind of the opposite in that I really like that super fresh and relatively tame dry down it gives, but am not too keen on the opening. I can handle the cloves (I don't find them to be that dominant either) and whatever about it is making it medicinal is great too, but it's the balsamic that throws me a bit.

I absolutely despise mainstream aquatics, and this is the closest I've come to finding a fragrance that offers some of what calone only wishes it could do.

So far, after a first test, I like it very much. I don't yet know what to make of it and need a full wearing after the blind buy but I can say that it's the most potent Slumberhouse that I've tried so far. I thought that I perceived some strong clove and something very metallic initially but I need to recheck plus I want to look at the supposed notes contained in it.

I too would like caps on all of my sprayers. I was actually surprised that the first three extraits came with the caps and not surprised when P&O didn't but I am a bit disappointed about it.

What are your thoughts on Rume? It is probably my favorite in the Slumberhouse line with Baque a close second.

The bay leaves do come on quite strong in the top. The dry down of muddled dried fruit mixed with spice on a bed of wood is like nothing else out there. I will say this fragrance will last you days if you don't scrub.

So far, after a first test, I like it very much. I don't yet know what to make of it and need a full wearing after the blind buy but I can say that it's the most potent Slumberhouse that I've tried so far. I thought that I perceived some strong clove and something very metallic initially but I need to recheck plus I want to look at the supposed notes contained in it.

I too would like caps on all of my sprayers. I was actually surprised that the first three extraits came with the caps and not surprised when P&O didn't but I am a bit disappointed about it.
    - - - Updated - - -

Has anyone tried Iska? I found it in my Slumberhouse samples, I don't even remember when I received it. Could have been with the Rume I recently bough or from last year. I smelled only the plastic sleeve it came in and was really very impressed. I almost don't want to give it a wear as I know it's more than likely a fragrance that wasn't released or has already been discontinued. Can anyone here speak to the whereabouts of Iska?

OK, these sound gorgeous.

Has anyone purchased the sample suite, and are they actually 2ml each of the extrait? Just curious what I'd be getting, because it appears the samples are a better price per ml than the bottles.

Yes, a great deal. Additionally, Josh from Slumberhouse usually tosses in some extra samples of stuff he has lying around. This was a few months back so I'm not sure after he changed the structure of his business. Still a good deal no less. Understand that these fragrances are beautiful, and works of art. That said, some within the line are a little challenging to wear for the uninitiated. But, if you've tried the likes of other potent stuff, for example Serge Lutens, I think you'll have no trouble falling in love with Slumberhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post

Has anyone purchased the sample suite, and are they actually 2ml each of the extrait? Just curious what I'd be getting, because it appears the samples are a better price per ml than the bottles.

Wearing Pear&Olive for the first time today.

It's another one that is truly original IMO. A fantastic composition that has already been described many times. My words cannot do this justice.

What is surprising is that because some of the juice must have gotten on my shirt before it dried so along with what is happening on my skin, the drydown is taking much longer and the freshness from the pear is still hanging on after 3 hours.
    Surprisingly, for a lighter composition, it is very tenacious even though it's closer to my skin like the other extraits.

I don't really get a "shampoo" vibe nor anything that would resemble a personal care product.

I cannot believe these creations. To me, they are unrivaled and I have been accumulating fragrance for over 30 years. Works of art, indeed!

Why So Serious?

Wholeheartedly agree with all the above. This is my favorite house right now, I have yet to find a fragrance from this house that I don't like. Absolutely phenomenal stuff, very unique juices that lasts and projects, I always use just one tiny drop on these extracts and they lasts well over 20 hours, unbelievable.

I'm also one of those that really hate top notes in fragrances, and this house is heaven for me since Josh has excluded top notes in all his creations.

Genius perfumer, great presentation, juices worth every penny. Josh really has openned new doors in all areas of the fragrance industry, a true pioneer, well done!

Current Favorite: Flou
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

I'm glad you're enjoying Slumberhouse. Pear + Olive is a wonderful fragrance. It's probably the most versatile in the line and the most summer friendly fragrance. I really love the combination of using something semi-sweet and semi-salty, and I usually don't like gourmands. P+O is something to wear on a summer's night out with some friends and turn some heads while you're wearing it, both men and women will be intrigued by this Mediterranean concoction that was made in the Pacific Northwest

Wearing Pear&Olive for the first time today.

It's another one that is truly original IMO. A fantastic composition that has already been described many times. My words cannot do this justice.

What is surprising is that because some of the juice must have gotten on my shirt before it dried so along with what is happening on my skin, the drydown is taking much longer and the freshness from the pear is still hanging on after 3 hours.
    Surprisingly, for a lighter composition, it is very tenacious even though it's closer to my skin like the other extraits.

I don't really get a "shampoo" vibe nor anything that would resemble a personal care product.

I cannot believe these creations. To me, they are unrivaled and I have been accumulating fragrance for over 30 years. Works of art, indeed!

I'm so glad there's still one I don't like. Just can't get on with P+O; I think I'm pulling all the sweet in it and it's über-tedious on me.

On the other hand, I'm wearing Grev again and thinking, "hm, maybe THIS is the summer scent I should buy."

Oh, and Clare - Josh's samples are fantastically generous, definitely the full 2ml, and you'll get a lot of mileage out of them. I still have lots left of most of the samples I bought last fall and I wore various Slumberhouse most of the winter.

But, if you've tried the likes of other potent stuff, for example Serge Lutens, I think you'll have no trouble falling in love with Slumberhouse.
    The only other house that IMHO comes halfway close to Slumberhouse in terms of potency is Nasomatto's (or montale's which are 3rd on my list on being the most "potent")...

I have dry skin and these last a day at the least, if its on fabric, a few weeks - i own almost 300+ from other houses, ranging from 20 to 500 odd, none last this long on me (not even Montale Black Aoud)...

excluding potency / longevity / projection - what i find to be the most unique aspect of Josh's frags is that there is a huge gap betn the initial / mid / dry down stages - not sure which frag it was of his, but it took abt 5-6hrs for the dry down to start coming in - haven't had this experience with any other frag / attar / extract etc

I can already see that in a few yrs his used frags being sold on ebay for higher amounts - hell, i would pay 200 if I can find a legit bottle of Ore rt now!!!

hell, i would pay 200 if I can find a legit bottle of Ore rt now!!!
    Yeah I think a lot of people would love to get their hands on that one... including myself! I think that it is just a matter of time before he sources out the materials for a new version of Ore, even if he has to make some substitutions and it ends up being a little different than the original one. The interest is certainly there.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare View Post

As mentioned above, his sample suite is worth the investment because you do get a lot, and this stuff is insanely potent. If you ask him if he has samples of anything else lurking around (he's just redone two older scents for example), he might throw some stuff in -- but I'd try not to expect it, just to be on the safe side. However, what you get in the sample set is some of his most impressive and indicative compositions. The only real down-side to the set is that you can pretty much guarantee that you'll be shelling out money on full bottles within weeks, so set some more money aside

I'm so glad there's still one I don't like. Just can't get on with P+O; I think I'm pulling all the sweet in it and it's über-tedious on me.
    This is the one that just sits outside of the Slumberhouse spectrum for me. It's brilliantly done, and crazy realistic (it draws parallels to Rume for me in that the fruit component is somewhat mulled/stewed), but not something I'd personally wear -- simply because it's so true to form, people will start asking if you have pears stashed in your pockets. Also, the oil aspect of this is quite prominent and highly realistic -- which can be problematic for some.

[EDIT]: I'm going to wear Pear+Olive today as it's been a while.
    Last edited by deadidol; 3rd May 2013 at 04:15 PM.

I'm still working my way through the sample pack and have had a chance to wear Sova a couple times. The first time I over-applied (2 sprays from 12" inches distance) and was a bit overwhelmed until it started to dry down. The second time was better with 1 1/2 sprays from about 18" inches away. Upon first use, the atomizer took a couple sprays to really get going and the second time I used it, there was still a bit of weakness on the first pump.

For me, Sova comes out as quite gourmand and my girlfriend said I smelled rather like a gingersnap cookie. There are, however, complexities and nuances that belie that categorization. At first I get a lot of spice (cinnamon and clove) mixed with sweetness (amber and beeswax). There were whiffs of tobacco as well, but very subtly. As it dried down, the spices receded a bit, while the sweetness became more like caramel. Many hours later there was a hint of herbal medicine dancing with vanilla in the background.

I'm not one for sweet fragrances or gourmands, but I really liked Sova. I would wear it again for the deft way Josh has handled the genre and the intriguing compositional elements that undergird the more sweet/foody core.

This is the one that just sits outside of the Slumberhouse spectrum for me. It's brilliantly done, and crazy realistic (it draws parallels to Rume for me in that the fruit component is somewhat mulled/stewed), but not something I'd personally wear -- simply because it's so true to form, people will start asking if you have pears stashed in your pockets. Also, the oil aspect of this is quite prominent and highly realistic -- which can be problematic for some.
    It seems there's a bit of a foody aspect to a number of the Slumberhouse fragrances. To my nose, Rume and P & O are the number one suspects, which is part of why I'm not quite comfortable with either. I've also received questions about curry/spice/coconut in Sova and herbal soup in Norne, although I personally don't think of either as such and happily continue to wear them. And I tried Grev again just yesterday, and got what someone elsewhere described as a thick, meaty citrus as well as a good bit of sparkling fizz, not unlike a nice summer drink.

I always pull the trigger down real slow with Slumberhouse monster fragrances like Rume/Baque/Sova, holding directly to the wrist, allowing a very small puddle to drip out of the nozzle. This is usually more than enough for the entire day.
    I may try that. I've started doing the exact opposite myself, actually - spraying farther away to diffuse the juice more so it's a very light mist. And whatever doesn't land on my skin hangs around in the air still smelling fabulous when I come home.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Yeah I think a lot of people would love to get their hands on that one... including myself! I think that it is just a matter of time before he sources out the materials for a new version of Ore, even if he has to make some substitutions and it ends up being a little different than the original one. The interest is certainly there.
    I hope Josh revisits Ore at some point. In the meantime, I'll have to settle for inhaling my Carmex lip balm.

CMcG, I really wish I got from Sova, what you do. Personally, it's the only Slumberhouse fragrance that I don't enjoy. My experience is quite different than yours and I've swapped away my bottle as of yesterday actually.

Here's what I get in Sova:
    Top - Beeswax and heavy honeyed hay that has been slightly torched (smoke)
    Middle - Smoke, Beeswax and very heavy animalic notes really start to growl (castoreum) *The middle absolutely kills it for me
    Base - Smoke, the slightest of spices & light vanilla *Easily the best part of the wear, the only part that doesn't have me looking for fresh air. Unfortunately it takes about 10 hours to get to this lovely base.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I'm still working my way through the sample pack and have had a chance to wear Sova a couple times. The first time I over-applied (2 sprays from 12" inches distance) and was a bit overwhelmed until it started to dry down. The second time was better with 1 1/2 sprays from about 18" inches away. Upon first use, the atomizer took a couple sprays to really get going and the second time I used it, there was still a bit of weakness on the first pump.

For me, Sova comes out as quite gourmand and my girlfriend said I smelled rather like a gingersnap cookie. There are, however, complexities and nuances that belie that categorization. At first I get a lot of spice (cinnamon and clove) mixed with sweetness (amber and beeswax). There were whiffs of tobacco as well, but very subtly. As it dried down, the spices receded a bit, while the sweetness became more like caramel. Many hours later there was a hint of herbal medicine dancing with vanilla in the background.

I'm not one for sweet fragrances or gourmands, but I really liked Sova. I would wear it again for the deft way Josh has handled the genre and the intriguing compositional elements that undergird the more sweet/foody core.

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    To my nose, Rume and P & O are the number one suspects, which is part of why I'm not quite comfortable with either.
    Well, having worn P+O for half a day, it now seems as though I—as well as no less than five people that I have run into today—now love the stuff. Far less pear-in-your-pocket, and more light, sunblock-esque creaminess on this spin—and definitely something coconut-ish happening.

Kere and Ore are the two that are the most gourmand to me—and I really, really hate overly gourmand scents. But what seems to be happening is that, because of the ways these fragrances are made and the effect they have on your day, even when notes are introduced that are challenging, they're still worthy of the wear. I'm thinking he uses crack as a note.

This doesn't bode well for my wallet. Not at all.

CMcG, I really wish I got from Sova, what you do. Personally, it's the only Slumberhouse fragrance that I don't enjoy. My experience is quite different than yours and I've swapped away my bottle as of yesterday actually.
    I can't recall, but which version did you have? Mine is the new extrait and I didn't get anything animalic out of it. If you also had that one, then I guess it must be skin chemistry and/or differences in our noses...

... I'm thinking he uses crack as a note.
    Saints preserve us all!

I've tried both versions, the bottle I swapped away was the first batch. I've also tried the second wave of Sova extrait as well. I found the extrait to be way too strong on a particular note that I found bothersome, the first batch was a little less harsh. I think it was a combination of the beeswax and castoreum, which just drove me crazy. But, I am not entirely sure those are the particular notes that are driving me nuts as I am not seasoned in picking notes out that I haven't really seen much of (castoreum..possibly.) I really wanted to love this one, without the animalic tones, I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I can't recall, but which version did you have? Mine is the new extrait and I didn't get anything animalic out of it. If you also had that one, then I guess it must be skin chemistry and/or differences in our noses...

I like the castoreum in Sova. I've said about a million times on various threads that Sova smells like a fragrant barn and the animalic aspect is definitely a part of that perception. I get nothing gourmand in Norne.

Tony, I get smoky barnyard as well, a sweet one at that. I really wanted to love it, I jumped on it immediately when it was first released. I appreciate it, but it's not something I enjoy. Also, I get nothing remotely gourmand in Norne either. Mostly, incense, moss and fir. Norne smells like a tree-hugging hippy from the Pacific NW that just got done rolling around in the woods for the day and lit up some incense in his musty room (in a good way )

I like the castoreum in Sova. I've said about a million times on various threads that Sova smells like a fragrant barn and the animalic aspect is definitely a part of that perception. I get nothing gourmand in Norne.

I don't really get much gourmand in Sova personally -- a bit of honey, but mainly hay and booze. Also, if sexy barnyard is your thing, be sure to try MFK's Absolue pour le Soir.

Got my Baque, loving this stuff, exactly what I thought Sova would be. Very happy with that one.

Josh also included Sona and Flou as samples...Flou, well im just going to say it isnt for me and leave it at that. Sona is quite nice has this fizzy fun medicinal vibe to it, probably the lighest slumberhouse I have come across at this point, cpl of hours in though and its become a skin scent. Eitherway interesting ones to explore.

Alrighty so last on my list is Ore now. Time to start a campaign to get Josh to bring this one back.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Sova means Owl in russian and it's a perfect name for a frag. hunter in the dark forest at night ~

Today I gave P & O (which to my nose should really be called P & C - Pear & Coconut) its first full wearing in quite a while, and found that I do enjoy it a little more now. It could be that it really does work better in warmer weather (which I'm beginning to discover is also the case with Grev), but equally it could also be that I gave it a proper wearing outdoors this time, as opposed to spritzing it on an arm and sniffing at it obsessively, which doesn't yield terribly interesting results. I must say I'm surprised it didn't come over all sweeeeet, which is what my skin tends to do. And once outdoors, it's a little less pear sitting in my pocket doing nothing and more pear and coconut wafting in and out of my sensory environment. Just that Sova, Norne and Jeke all interest me more.

Here's what I get in Sova:
    ... Middle - Smoke, Beeswax and very heavy animalic notes really start to growl (castoreum) *The middle absolutely kills it for me
    I suspect this is why I'm hesitating over Sova extrait - it does get a bit suffocating and I'm still trying to get the application right before I go for a full bottle. Apart from this, I'm getting everything that CMcG described. I didn't have this problem with Sova esprit de parfum - I loved it, but after smelling the extrait, I can pick it out in the esprit de parfum as well.

I'm thinking he uses crack as a note.
    I'm thinking so too.
    Last edited by rowan-; 4th May 2013 at 06:07 PM.

Blog Entries

I've tried virtually all Slumberhouse frags...including many discontinued ones. My issue is that most have every note turned up full volume. They overwhelm and I tire of them quickly. Norne...great pine but so strong It nauseates after while. Grev...So much clove that it gives me a headache. ...these have every note turned up full blast.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I've tried virtually all Slumberhouse frags...including many discontinued ones. My issue is that most have every note turned up full volume. They overwhelm and I tire of them quickly. Norne...great pine but so strong It nauseates after while. Grev...So much clove that it gives me a headache. ...these have every note turned up full blast.
    Yeah, you can't wear them like normal fragrances. It's like Puredistance M (a scent Josh loves) in that 1/2 spray is more than enough, and maybe a little more on especially cold days. Also, reformulations make a difference as he's always tweaking them. Grev, for example, was very clove-y in its first run, but far more tamed down toward the end. To me, though, they're not like, say, a Bond fragrance -- which is just tacky, desperate-loud (all fixative chemicals). These are extrait strength naturals, made with absolutes (so they're higher quality than virtually everything on the market), but you just have to span the juice out a little more than normal. That's what makes them such amazing value for money, too. However, there's no doubt in my mind that they're not for everyone as they are highly avant-garde fragrances, and no one's doing anything like what he's doing. They're not well-suited for people who are into anything safe or "nice" per se--they're more about the aesthetic challenge, and, I'd argue, function best as a personal endeavor rather than "crowd pleasing." For my money, they're pretty much trailblazing modern perfumery right now.
    Last edited by deadidol; 4th May 2013 at 07:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, you can't wear them like normal fragrances. It's like Puredistance M (a scent Josh loves) in that 1/2 spray is more than enough, and maybe a little more on especially cold days. Also, reformulations make a difference as he's always tweaking them. Grev, for example, was very clove-y in its first run, but far more tamed down toward the end. To me, though, they're not like, say, a Bond fragrance -- which is just tacky, desperate-loud (all fixative chemicals). These are extrait strength naturals, made with absolutes (so they're higher quality than virtually everything on the market), but you just have to span the juice out a little more than normal. That's what makes them such amazing value for money, too. However, there's no doubt in my mind that they're not for everyone as they are highly avant-garde fragrances, and no one's doing anything like what he's doing. They're not well-suited for people who are into anything safe or "nice" per se--they're more about the aesthetic challenge, and, I'd argue, function best as a personal endeavor rather than "crowd pleasing." For my money, they're pretty much trailblazing modern perfumery right now.
    Right...They are NOT an explosion of chemicals like most Bond no 9's...They are definitely natural. I love Avante Garde and wanted desperately to like them. I believe that if I daubed rather than sprayed, and stayed away from anything above the mid chest, I could have worn many of them, especially Norne, I really wanted to like it but too much of a good thing isn't good and the powerful pine got old to my brain after 40 min. I cheer his ability to make a powerhouse projector with longevity, that is my biggest complaint with so many niche houses like Penhaligon's, Heeley, and (most) Creed...nice smell that sits too close to the skin and disappears completely in 3hrs.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Interestingly he uses a lot of synthetics, I guess his blending and use of them is what seperates him from the bigger houses where synthetics come off as a chemical explosion. Interesting read here where he discusses that:

http://notablescents.net/2012/04/27/...-slumberhouse/

I definitely agree with the sparing sprays makes slumberhouse frags more enjoyable.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

I never spray Slumberhouse, except for Pear + Olive and Grev. It's simply too powerful for me. Instead I choose to slowly allow the juice to drip from the sprayer by applying light pressure evenly until it comes out. Apply to one wrist then touch my wrists together (not rubbing in) and let air dry. I find this works best for the powerful ones.
    Last edited by rynegne; 5th May 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    Interestingly he uses a lot of synthetics, I guess his blending and use of them is what seperates him from the bigger houses where synthetics come off as a chemical explosion.
    He has in the past, but his current line-up is primarily absolutes -- Norne and Sova being all absolutes. Also, one of the current prototypes (the coffee/amber thing) is also all absolute to the point where it goes on sticky. From what I understand, he's used chemical replacers in the past (meaning scents that cannot be found in nature). This seems reflective of his slimming down of his line, but also if you read his blog posts, you can see what he's using and how he's moved from synthetics to more natural stuff. You actually don't get as much potency in the older scents as you do in the current line-up of his most recent (2013) extrait versions (2012 Sova vs. 2013 etc.) He's currently recreating two older scents with higher quality materials, so the trajectory seems apparent. It's true that what makes them stand out is the blending, but it's also that he's using extremely difficult to find and high quality materials.

As much as I love the naturals (for the variance), I'd actually be interested to see what he'd do with a primarily chemical palate, but I can't image that would ever happen.
    Last edited by deadidol; 5th May 2013 at 10:21 PM.

As much as I love the naturals (for the variance), I'd actually be interested to see what he'd do with a primarily chemical palate, but I can't image that would ever happen.
    Come to think of it, this variance in the absolutes might account for some of the different perceptions people have of what is ostensibly the same fragrance.

My ONLY issue with this fantastic line is that they simply aren't wearable in the typical sense. I would love it if he could explore more diverse options rather than the typical dark routes.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    My ONLY issue with this fantastic line is that they simply aren't wearable in the typical sense. I would love it if he could explore more diverse options rather than the typical dark routes.
    I only find Norne to be dark (which was sort of the concept). Pear+Olive, Vikt, Grev, Kere, Eki are all fairly buoyant. Some are oppressively heavy if you get too much on you -- is that what you mean?

I only find Norne to be dark (which was sort of the concept). Pear+Olive, Vikt, Grev, Kere, Eki are all fairly buoyant. Some are oppressively heavy if you get too much on you -- is that what you mean?
    I thought Sova and Jeke were dark as well, though heavy seems to be a more appropriate term.

I tried Flou and Sana, they did nothing for me.

Of the ones that I've tried, I'd say Baque is the most wearable because its take on apricot/bourbon/tobacco/ambre is really quite beautiful and pleasing, but still unique. Jeke's smoky leathery humidor and Sova's spicy sweetness are also wearable, if you go light on the application, though they are a bit more complex and have some notes that might raise an eyebrow. Norne and Kere, however, are further out from what most people would consider perfumery, which I like in Norne's pine forest of incense, but not so much in Kere's medicinal vibe.
    Last edited by CMcG; 6th May 2013 at 01:39 PM.

I wouldn't. I expect the only reason Slumberhouse does work SO well on me is because Josh uses primarily naturals and stays away from The Devil Musk. It's mostly synthetic aromachemicals that go to pieces on my skin as far as I can tell. And yet, unlike most other natural fragrances I've tried, these actually last longer than it takes me to drive to work.

Don't encourage that kind of thing. There are plenty of perfumers working with synthetics. How many are there creating scents from rare absolutes?

I wouldn't. I expect the only reason Slumberhouse does work SO well on me is because Josh uses primarily naturals and stays away from The Devil Musk. It's mostly synthetic aromachemicals that go to pieces on my skin as far as I can tell. And yet, unlike most other natural fragrances I've tried, these actually last longer than it takes me to drive to work.

Don't encourage that kind of thing. There are plenty of perfumers working with synthetics. How many are there creating scents from rare absolutes?
    I really like the direction Josh is going, but I also like that he's not basing his brand on being "all-natural perfume," so he has the leeway to go wherever his creativity takes him, which I think is great.

I hope he releases a "cold" fragrance, a "frosty" one.

I find Grev to be quite cool out of the bunch.

Not me, I like Josh playing to his strengths, namely making thick, resinous fragrances that evoke warmth and do something new and complex with an ingredient that's rather common in modern perfumery.

So far he's given the Slumberhouse treatment to fruit and booze (Rume), tobacco (Baque & Jeke), wood (Norne), hay (Sova), aoud (Vikt), chocolate (Ore), and soon coffee and amber.
    Imagine if Josh took a run at a dark rose fragrance.....I would think that No. 88 would have to hand over its darkest rose crown and weep.

I have no doubt that his experimentation will, in time, result in Josh putting out some 'un-Slumberhouse Slumberhouses' and they will be excellent in their own rights, but I'm going to enjoy the current styles over the coming cold months here.

Not me, I like Josh playing to his strengths, namely making thick, resinous fragrances that evoke warmth and do something new and complex with an ingredient that's rather common in modern perfumery.

So far he's given the Slumberhouse treatment to fruit and booze (Rume), tobacco (Baque & Jeke), wood (Norne), hay (Sova), aoud (Vikt), chocolate (Ore), and soon coffee and amber.
    Imagine if Josh took a run at a dark rose fragrance.....I would think that No. 88 would have to hand over its darkest rose crown and weep.

I have no doubt that his experimentation will, in time, result in Josh putting out some 'un-Slumberhouse Slumberhouses' and they will be excellent in their own rights, but I'm going to enjoy the current styles over the coming cold months here.
    Well he did go to Pear & Olive! Honestly, besides Himalaya's cold opening, I haven't seen any other fragrances which evoke a lonesome, desolate winter...and even Himalaya doesn't do that, it's a bright one.

I'll need to check out Rume. I ordered Sova for a fall fragrance, and love it. Split on Norne/Jeke - don't know where it is wearable?

Well he did go to Pear & Olive! Honestly, besides Himalaya's cold opening, I haven't seen any other fragrances which evoke a lonesome, desolate winter...and even Himalaya doesn't do that, it's a bright one.

I'll need to check out Rume. I ordered Sova for a fall fragrance, and love it. Split on Norne/Jeke - don't know where it is wearable?
    Yeah P&O, along with Grev, are the most removed from the rest of the Slumberhouse range.
    It's weird - you'd think that moving away from a group of frags that are so abnormal would move you closer to normalcy, but they remain just as unique as the others from Slumberhouse, just...different.

I prefer Jeke over Norne (I don't own a bottle of Norne....yet) but then I'm not a huge fan of pine. I think Jeke is more wearable, just because Norne smells stiflingly green.

Yeah, as mentioned, Grev is chilly. I've developed a new love for it now that the weather's warmer. I had people telling me I smelled like a freshwater stream (it kinda does).
    I'm just curious to see what kind of stuff he'd do to be honest. I love the naturals myself, but it's hard to imagine what kind of thing he'd be able to pull of with some of the weirder aroma chemicals that are being produced these days.
    Personally, I'd love to see him do an incense-to-end-all-incenses.
    Split on Norne/Jeke - don't know where it is wearable?
    I wear them all the time to all kinds of places. To me, they're not really about accentuating what I'm wearing or where I'm going, and they're certainly not for getting compliments. When I put this stuff on, it alters the way I approach my day in some form or another. That's something I've never seen done in a fragrance before. Five sprays of Norne before going to the beach might be a problem, but I'd rather stay away from the beach and wear my Norne instead!

... Split on Norne/Jeke - don't know where it is wearable?
    I wore Jeke to the university the other day and got a compliment from a colleague. The combination of leather, tobacco, and smoked tea notes is reminiscent of the archetypal, old school professors lounge... ironically, my university is rather new and doesn't have any places like that :P

You and me both. I'd love to see him do a woody, spicy, warm incense fragrance...think 2 Man on steroids. I think Josh would knock it out of the park.

Personally, I'd love to see him do an incense-to-end-all-incenses.