Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Slumberhouse

Blog Entries

Default Re: Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I wore Jeke to the university the other day and got a compliment from a colleague. The combination of leather, tobacco, and smoked tea notes is reminiscent of the archetypal, old school professors lounge... ironically, my university is rather new and doesn't have any places like that :P
    I loved the Jeke when I sniffed it, but had to wash it off after an hour b/c it was so strong it nauseated me. I finally put a drop behind each knee and occasionally caught a whiff that way, any higher was too strong. I wonder about dumping some in Everclear and spritzing 10% strength...never mind...too much work.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

I am the odd one out as far as projection and sillage. The extraits last forever for me but after the first couple of hours they do not project. 3 full sprays to the upper chest and one to the wrist and they are like that.

Grev, on the other hand projects like a beast with just one spray. This is how it usually works for me with EdP VS Extraits. The EdP's usually project more and leave a trail. It seems odd that Grev is the opposite for most here opposed to the newer Extraits!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see him do an incense-to-end-all-incenses.
    I'd get in line for this one (as well as the coffee amber). But as I always say, I'll try anything Josh makes. Some folks may not agree, but I personally thought he made a good artistic call in trimming the line and bringing more focus to his output. I don't know if this makes sense or not, but going by the discretion he's shown and the decisions he's taken, I'm fairly confident I'm going to appreciate whatever direction he next chooses for Slumberhouse.

When I put this stuff on, it alters the way I approach my day in some form or another. That's something I've never seen done in a fragrance before. Five sprays of Norne before going to the beach might be a problem, but I'd rather stay away from the beach and wear my Norne instead!
    I think I might do that as well - and spread out those five sprays so that I'd have enough Norne to last me a week!

I have samples of:

Flou
    Sana
    Jeke
    Sova
    Pear & Olive
    Norne

Does anyone have samples of their other kinds they'd want to swap with me? If so, please PM with what you have!

Picture for proof:
    http://imgur.com/bjlWdvm
    Last edited by noideawhatimsaying; 6th May 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I am the odd one out as far as projection and sillage. The extraits last forever for me but after the first couple of hours they do not project. 3 full sprays to the upper chest and one to the wrist and they are like that.

Grev, on the other hand projects like a beast with just one spray. This is how it usually works for me with EdP VS Extraits. The EdP's usually project more and leave a trail. It seems odd that Grev is the opposite for most here opposed to the newer Extraits!
    You and me both. I'm blown away by all these people saying "Slumberhouse just projects and it's such a hard-to-wear BEAST OF A SCENT!" I can go into any Sephora and spray on one small test spray of any of the regular scents people round here wear, a John Varvatos or a YSL or a Tom Ford or something, and it will be all over the room on me in the most obnoxious way. Slumberhouse except for Grev and Kere wraps me around close as a blanket; no one comments on it unless they're hugging me or right next to me, and I certainly don't gasp for breath in my own airspace the way I do with the vast majority of mainstream scents.

Just another entry for the "everyone's skin is different" notebook, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell
    Imagine if Josh took a run at a dark rose fragrance.....I would think that No. 88 would have to hand over its darkest rose crown and weep.
    Oh, I wish! Rose is one of the few florals I really, really like.

I don't think they're hard to wear. But, I can easily see why people don't like Slumberhouse. It's not the typical mainstream scent or even typical niche concentration, these are very powerful extrait and eau de parfum concentations. If you over-apply a Slumberhouse, you'll know you did, even after a shower. If you over-apply Bleu de Chanel, you might smell like "that cologne guy" for an hour or so. One could easily be off put by most of the Slumberhouse fragrances if they go the normal 4 sprays they usually do with an EDT.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    You and me both. I'm blown away by all these people saying "Slumberhouse just projects and it's such a hard-to-wear BEAST OF A SCENT!" I can go into any Sephora and spray on one small test spray of any of the regular scents people round here wear, a John Varvatos or a YSL or a Tom Ford or something, and it will be all over the room on me in the most obnoxious way. Slumberhouse except for Grev and Kere wraps me around close as a blanket; no one comments on it unless they're hugging me or right next to me, and I certainly don't gasp for breath in my own airspace the way I do with the vast majority of mainstream scents.

Just another entry for the "everyone's skin is different" notebook, I guess.

Oh, I wish! Rose is one of the few florals I really, really like.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    If you over-apply a Slumberhouse, you'll know you did, even after a shower. If you over-apply Bleu de Chanel, you might smell like "that cologne guy" for an hour or so. One could easily be off put by most of the Slumberhouse fragrances if they go the normal 4 sprays they usually do with an EDT.
    I don't think I've ever applied four sprays of anything. Three is my limit. (I wear two to three of Sova, though.) But I well remember how one, single, tiny spray of Spicebomb lingered in my car making me gag for like a week after I tried it out the one time. (It was January. It was really cold for driving with the window down.) I smell Slumberhouse faintly in my clothes, but I have to stick my face in the fabric.

But yes, I wasn't thinking of the more typical Basenoter If three sprays are good then eight is better! style of application. (Mind you, I don't really see how that would be much less gagworthy with 1 Million than Norne.)

Blog Entries

To me...it isn't necessarily too projective...it's more like every note, every nuance is turned up full blast. In an orchestra, sometimes the brass section is barely audible, then the strings are quiet...Slumberhouse to me is an orchestra with every instrument blasting away at full volume, like if someone cranked up the volume to ear-bleed level during the tuning in of all the instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    To me...it isn't necessarily too projective...it's more like every note, every nuance is turned up full blast. In an orchestra, sometimes the brass section is barely audible, then the strings are quiet...Slumberhouse to me is an orchestra with every instrument blasting away at full volume, like if someone cranked up the volume to ear-bleed level during the tuning in of all the instruments.
    That describes Bond No. 9 to me (or even Tom Ford's Private Blends), but certainly not Slumberhouse. There are many notes in scents such as Sova that are incredibly subtle and nuanced (such as the araucaria or the acacia), and picking out something like the immortelle in Kere is very tricky indeed. It's one of the advantages to using naturals in that you get a total variance in volume as opposed to something like Bond in which there are no naturals and all fixatives designed to flatten everything to the same blasting level. It's kind of like music production in that Bond abuses the sh*t out of the digital compressor in an attempt to fix the terrible mess that lives underneath whereas Slumberhouse is an analog record, made in the '60s, with impeccable, precise musicianship that harmonizes and work together in a totally organic manner to allow for a full spectrum of dynamics and fluidity.

I'm wearing Baque today (it's rainy out) and I've gone through no less than three totally different stages of scent at this point. I currently smell like milky apricots, whereas earlier I was smelling pretty smoky. Yet in between all of these shifts, I only catch bare whiffs of the ambergris and parchment notes -- but they're there, they're just very low in the mix.
    Last edited by deadidol; 7th May 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Blog Entries

That describes Bond No. 9 to me (or even Tom Ford's Private Blends), but certainly not Slumberhouse. There are many notes in scents such as Sova that are incredibly subtle and nuanced (such as the araucaria or the acacia), and picking out something like the immortelle in Kere is very tricky indeed. It's one of the advantages to using naturals in that you get a total variance in volume as opposed to something like Bond in which there are no naturals and all fixatives designed to flatten everything to the same blasting level. It's kind of like music production in that Bond abuses the sh*t out of the digital compressor in an attempt to fix the terrible mess that lives underneath whereas Slumberhouse is an analog record, made in the '60s, with impeccable, precise musicianship that harmonizes and work together in a totally organic manner to allow for a full spectrum of dynamics and fluidity.

I'm wearing Baque today (it's rainy out) and I've gone through no less than three totally different stages of scent at this point. I currently smell like milky apricots, whereas earlier I was smelling pretty smoky. Yet in between all of these shifts, I only catch bare whiffs of the ambergris and parchment notes -- but they're there, they're just very low in the mix.
    Perhaps...It was like putting pure essential oils that I dilute in a fragrance warmer right onto my skin. The wafting smell dispersed in a warmer is wonderful, but putting it straight on my skin overwhelms my nose. I own Amouage Tribute, and if I accidentaly put too much on, and it is hot and 'close' It overwhelms my nose also.

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I own Amouage Tribute, and if I accidentaly put too much on, and it is hot and 'close' It overwhelms my nose also.
    Amouage is similarly powerful in this regard, and in the wrong conditions, can melt your face off!

Has anyone ever layered Slumberhouse fragrances together? It may be Basenotes blashphemy, but I'm thinking Baque and Jeke are calling to each other... Baque is like pipe tobacco sweetened with amber and apricot, which seems like it would harmonize well with Jeke's cigar tobacco sharpened by smoke and leather...

I've layered Kere with other Slumberhouses and with other scents. The bitter herbal tang of the version I have goes particularly well with otherwise frail citrus cologne things.

I don't know that I'd layer Baque, Jeke or Sova with any of each other myself as to me they seem like fragrance siblings - riffs on a theme, and each has enough going on to satisfy me on its own.

Despite CompassRose's advice, I gave Baque and Jeke a try together today. There was some discord for the first few hours, particularly between the Baque's apricot and Jeke's leather. Later in the day, they blended really nicely together, but lost much of the note distinction. I learned my lesson and I wouldn't recommend it, but it was a fun experiment!

Too much for me...

Despite CompassRose's advice, I gave Baque and Jeke a try together today. There was some discord for the first few hours, particularly between the Baque's apricot and Jeke's leather. Later in the day, they blended really nicely together, but lost much of the note distinction. I learned my lesson and I wouldn't recommend it, but it was a fun experiment!

Wearing Vikt today. Damn this is one fantastic fragrance.

The aoud is definitely noticeable, especially to those who know how it smells, but the overwhelming feel of it is smoky wood with something challenging in there that gives it a little bite. It's not the aoud, there's something more astringent (almost sour) in there, that combines with the bay laurel and the aoud to give it a smell that's almost like a very lightly-spiced wine.
    This accord is most strong at the 3-4 hour mark, but never overpowers the fragrance, and I think is probably only detectable to the wearer.

I have constantly said that this is my favourite from the house, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Remarkable.

Anise possibly?

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post

The aoud is definitely noticeable, especially to those who know how it smells, but the overwhelming feel of it is smoky wood with something challenging in there that gives it a little bite. It's not the aoud, there's something more astringent (almost sour) in there, that combines with the bay laurel and the aoud to give it a smell that's almost like a very lightly-spiced wine.
    This accord is most strong at the 3-4 hour mark, but never overpowers the fragrance, and I think is probably only detectable to the wearer.

I have constantly said that this is my favourite from the house, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Remarkable.

I don't think so; with Rive Gauche I'm getting better at picking up anise in fragrance.

I might have a brain tumour, but I get something in there that makes the heart of Vikt remind me of the bottom of a wine cork.

It's a pity that one has been discontinued

This, Baque and Rume. All very disappointing.

Yeah, but it's not like the current fragrances aren't just as terrific in their own right.
    I'd hate to see people assigning value to the discontinued Slumberhouse frags primarily because they aren't readily available anymore. I sometimes cynically suspect that it's what happens with a few other discontinued frags.

For what it's worth, I find myself preferring Jeke over Ore.

I say experience all of them you can, and if you find a current Slumberhouse that really resonates (or should that be resin-ates *hangs head in shame*) with you, nab a full bottle as it may well get replaced in the future. I'm really tempted to pick up a backup of Jeke.

I bought Vikt as an oil when it was available for a short time and glad I did. It's remarkable. I really look forward to what is coming from Josh...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I recently made my first purchases from Slumberhouse (Sova and Pear + Olive) and am very pleased with the fragrances and their tenacity. My only complaint is the samples I received are of fragrances that are no longer in production. I would have preferred samples of Jeke and Norne. Chances are I would have sprung for them as well. Please do not think that I am attacking the house; this is not the case. I'm just not sure I understand this from a business perspective.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    3) 34 Boulevard Saint Germain
    4) One Man Show Gold Edition
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Scentinel View Post
    I recently made my first purchases from Slumberhouse (Sova and Pear + Olive) and am very pleased with the fragrances and their tenacity. My only complaint is the samples I received are of fragrances that are no longer in production. I would have preferred samples of Jeke and Norne. Chances are I would have sprung for them as well. Please do not think that I am attacking the house; this is not the case. I'm just not sure I understand this from a business perspective.
    Oh it didn't come across like you were attacking the house at all to me. So you bought bottles of Sova and P&O and got samples of things like Sana, Rume etc? Cos yeah that's a little odd.

Maybe Josh thought you'd already tried the other two in the range, since you were buying FBs of two of them? That's only a possible explanation, though.

Unless Josh is pulling a swifty on us and he's planning on re-releasing some of the fragrances of which he sent you samples......gentlemen, start your speculations.

I didn't think you were attacking the house. What samples did you receive? I might be happy to relieve you of them. Seriously though - I've mentioned it here before and I will say it again - where Slumberhouse is concerned, I'm perfectly happy to receive samples that are no longer in production. If nothing else, it would be an opportunity to sample a part of Josh's work that is no longer readily available. Some of these scents have been talked about so much I would rather have tried them once than not at all. Or, as timdoeswell says, it could also be fodder for speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    ...where Slumberhouse is concerned, I'm perfectly happy to receive samples that are no longer in production.
    Look at how valuable vintage Tabarome is!
    I mean, from a purely economical viewpoint, those discontinued Slumberhouses are worth 1/4 of their weight in gold - a slightly used 30mL of Ore recently went for $282.

I didn't think you were attacking the house. What samples did you receive? I might be happy to relieve you of them. Seriously though - I've mentioned it here before and I will say it again - where Slumberhouse is concerned, I'm perfectly happy to receive samples that are no longer in production. If nothing else, it would be an opportunity to sample a part of Josh's work that is no longer readily available. Some of these scents have been talked about so much I would rather have tried them once than not at all. Or, as timdoeswell says, it could also be fodder for speculation.
    The samples are SANA and FLOU. Anyone else sampled these?
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

What you got are sneak previews of something he's just remade with even higher quality materials. Technically, these are available, although I'm surprised you didn't get samples of Jeke and Norne.

Basenotes Institution

I might have a brain tumour, but I get something in there that makes the heart of Vikt remind me of the bottom of a wine cork.
    This made me giggle. LOL
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

What you got are sneak previews of something he's just remade with even higher quality materials.
    Given the way Josh has operated in the past, I suspect this is the explanation. Perhaps not remade with higher quality materials, but old ideas revisited, and brought closer to their original intention.

I'm wearing Grev today and wondering why more people here don't enjoy it. Sure, it's not the typical thick, resinous, syrupy concoction that projects like mad and lives for days on your skin...But I'm really finding Grev to be quite nice. It's a clean scent that smells like fir, light clove and metal accords. When this all mixes together, I get transposed to the mountain forests of the Pacific Northwest. Mossy vegetation, tall firs, and a mountain stream that brings some weird watery freshness. I think that weird freshness comes from the cloves in this one...I'm not a huge fan of clove, but I think when they're used right, they can create a strong image like the one Grev brings to my mind.

What you got are sneak previews of something he's just remade with even higher quality materials. Technically, these are available, although I'm surprised you didn't get samples of Jeke and Norne.
    I see. It just threw me because they are not listed for sale anywhere on the website. In fact, only Sova, P+O, Norne and Jeke are currently available.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Polo Crest
    2) Chypre Palatin
    5) Kouros (Vintage)
    6) Mamluk
    7) Tobacco Vanille
    8) Interlude Man
    9) More than Words
    10) Ungaro II (Vintage)

I'm wearing Grev today and wondering why more people here don't enjoy it. Sure, it's not the typical thick, resinous, syrupy concoction that projects like mad and lives for days on your skin...But I'm really finding Grev to be quite nice.
    LOL, I have a sample of the original formulation, and wrote a review saying it was what the bad-guys from the Mad Max movies might wear when they wanted to get dressy. The original version would burn a hole right through your wrist, and was probably most suitable for a day of working outdoors in Antarctica.

Good to hear that it's been toned down a little.

With all the various attempts over time at refining a certain idea, it makes it hard to talk about individual Slumberhouse things by name. Obtaining only the very most recent samples is probably the only way to cogently discuss the nature of current purchases. I tend to think of older samples more in terms of interesting artifacts, pointing the way towards what the current iteration might be like now.

Still waiting to see Brusse come back around again. There was a shocking thing, if there ever was one.

I'm not sure which version I'm wearing. I bought it from indiescents when it was discontinued. It's a smaller bottle, with the circular "printed Grev name patch." I guess I'm just a bad ass, but I'd say Vikt is more Mad Max

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    LOL, I have a sample of the original formulation, and wrote a review saying it was what the bad-guys from the Mad Max movies might wear when they wanted to get dressy. The original version would burn a hole right through your wrist, and was probably most suitable for a day of working outdoors in Antarctica.

Good to hear that it's been toned down a little.

Still waiting to see Brusse come back around again. There was a shocking thing, if there ever was one.
    Anyone have any thoughts on Brosse? There doesn't seem to be very much about it online but it sounds delicious from Josh's description here: http://slumber33.tumblr.com/post/12635082869.

I wonder a) if he's ever going to bring it back; b) if he's ever going to try composing another fragrance under similar circumstances (since he did say he's "looking forward to doing it again" (http://notablescents.net/2012/04/27/...b-slumberhouse); and c) if he blasts any of his other scents with light as he did Brosse.

With all the various attempts over time at refining a certain idea, it makes it hard to talk about individual Slumberhouse things by name. Obtaining only the very most recent samples is probably the only way to cogently discuss the nature of current purchases. I tend to think of older samples more in terms of interesting artifacts, pointing the way towards what the current iteration might be like now.
    True. For that reason though, I don't mind receiving repeat samples of his fragrances every now and again, if only to see how they've evolved since the last sample.

I have samples of the two on their way but I imagine it will be some time before they arrive. I've tried an old iteration of Sana and it was all sweet overripe fruit on me. So what do you think of Sana and Flou?

Flou, the last time I tried it was grapes and flowers...that's really all I got from it. I did see that someone is selling a bottle on the boards here, almost bought it myself but to be honest, it didn't jump out at me and tell me to buy it like his other fragrances have. Flou also struck me as quite feminine, not something that I would wear. The bottle of Flou is still up here.

Someone is selling Vikt as well.

So what do you think of Sana and Flou?

I had not idea that Rume was available as an extrait before it was discontinued! I love the the EdP.

I bit on the bottle of Vikt. I adore the decant that I have. I have extensive experience with oud oil but don't get the full oud vibe with Vikt. It's darker wood, spices and some menthol to my nose without any overwhelming note that smells like any variety of real oud oil that I have tried but Josh is a masterful blender so I could surely be wrong plus it's likely that the oud is synthetic,(not a knock at all....real oud oil would be prohibitively expensive for him to use in a "mass produced" fragrance).

Eki and Flou have been the most feminine Slumberhouse scents that I have tried to date. Eki more so.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Wearing Norne now, and my impression is almost exact as that with Jeke.
    Finally grabbed my "Jeke" sample again for a second spin and I found an explanation for why my experience with Norne was exactly the same...
    IMG_20130511_153344.jpg

I want to smell Jeke.

Finally grabbed my "Jeke" sample again for a second spin and I found an explanation for why my experience with Norne was exactly the same...
    IMG_20130511_153344.jpg

I want to smell Jeke.
    What am I supposed to be seeing here? That's how one of my Jeke samples looks.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Palm trees. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    same here --->>>

If i had sampled this house b4 I had bought my other parfums, i might not have gone to other houses at all...
    this

I agree with this sentiment. Since sampling Pear and Olive, Sova, and Jeke I have no real urge to purchase full bottles of anything else until I own those. On the other hand it takes sampling a lot of stuff you don't like to truly appreciate the ones you like when you come across them (see: Slumberhouse).

- - - Updated - - -

Wearing Sana for the first time right now... and I'll be blunt: I hate it. Let me preface by saying a) I'm a big Slumberhouse fan, and b) I'm not crazy about most florals. From the time I put it on 7 hours ago all I get is urinal cake (minus actual urine). The scent floods my senses with cheap floral air fresheners and potpourri one might come across in a public bathroom. Sounds a little harsh, I know. But I'm just being honest. I cannot relate at all with this offering.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Math You View Post
    this

I agree with this sentiment. Since sampling Pear and Olive, Sova, and Jeke I have no real urge to purchase full bottles of anything else until I own those. On the other hand it takes sampling a lot of stuff you don't like to truly appreciate the ones you like when you come across them (see: Slumberhouse).
    I am eagerly and (not so) patiently awaiting the arrival of Sova.

I'm not sure which version I'm wearing. I bought it from indiescents when it was discontinued. It's a smaller bottle, with the circular "printed Grev name patch." I guess I'm just a bad ass, but I'd say Vikt is more Mad Max
    Vikt is totally Mad Max, it even has a strong metallic accord to it that seems fitting.

I have a question about Kere - how many versions of this were there? I have a bottle that smells like immortelle - is this the one that supposedly has sandalwood in it? It sounds like there were two, possibly three versions of Kere, is that correct?

1. 2011 formulation with apricot, aldehydes, honeysuckle, and hay
    2. Version with immortelle minus curry?
    3. Latest formulation that is medicinal

Are #1 and #2 the same? Which one is supposed to have sandalwood in it?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Vikt is totally Mad Max, it even has a strong metallic accord to it that seems fitting.

I have a question about Kere - how many versions of this were there? I have a bottle that smells like immortelle - is this the one that supposedly has sandalwood in it? It sounds like there were two, possibly three versions of Kere, is that correct?

I have two, but both of mine are heavily curried and the immortelle is really hard to pick out. I'd say ask Josh, but he's AWOL right now it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post

I think the most recent one is the one with Mysore sandalwood in it.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Yeah, I'm not saying there aren't different colours of each frag (due to differing recipes*) but my Jeke sample and bottle look very dark in the shade, but a dark green like yours in the light.

My Norne sample, however, is also very dark in the shade, but a brownish colour in the light.

I think you've got the right juice in that sample.

*I refuse to call them batch variations, for obvious reasons

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, I'm not saying there aren't different colours of each frag (due to differing recipes*) but my Jeke sample and bottle look very dark in the shade, but a dark green like yours in the light.

My Norne sample, however, is also very dark in the shade, but a brownish colour in the light.

I think you've got the right juice in that sample.
    Yeah, I jumped the gun on that one before actually smelling them side by side.

The similarity was uncanny at first though.

I don't seem to get a distinct vanilla on Jeke.

I'm curious about the brown version now. Sigh.

I wanna get another Slumberhouse and I think it'll be Norne next - unless what's coming comes out before I pull the trigger and it compels me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Math You View Post
    YES. The way it's been going, Josh is actually helping me save some money (as long as I don't buy several bottles of Slumberhouse all at once). I've a number of decants I had been planning to get full bottles of, but revisiting them, I find I've just about lost my love for them now that the likes of Sova, Norne and Jeke have set the standard.

On the other hand, I've smelled the old Sana (though not the new iteration) and can't say I'm cracked on it either.

Yeah, I jumped the gun on that one before actually smelling them side by side.

The similarity was uncanny at first though.

I don't seem to get a distinct vanilla on Jeke.

I'm curious about the brown version now. Sigh.

I wanna get another Slumberhouse and I think it'll be Norne next - unless what's coming comes out before I pull the trigger and it compels me more.
    My Jeke and Norne are different enough for me to tell them apart any day. I do occasionally wonder about colour variations and why they seem to change so much, but I have bits of green Sova and brown Sova and they essentially smell like one and the same thing.

I have both versions of Rume. I'll have to test the extrait soon.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I had not idea that Rume was available as an extrait before it was discontinued! I love the the EdP.

I bit on the bottle of Vikt. I adore the decant that I have. I have extensive experience with oud oil but don't get the full oud vibe with Vikt. It's darker wood, spices and some menthol to my nose without any overwhelming note that smells like any variety of real oud oil that I have tried but Josh is a masterful blender so I could surely be wrong plus it's likely that the oud is synthetic,(not a knock at all....real oud oil would be prohibitively expensive for him to use in a "mass produced" fragrance).

Eki and Flou have been the most feminine Slumberhouse scents that I have tried to date. Eki more so.

guys, is there anywhere in Europe where I could find this fragrances? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nashulian View Post
    guys, is there anywhere in Europe where I could find this fragrances? thanks!
    I've ordered straight from http://slumberhou.se/ seems to be the best way, emailed Josh and he said he had no problems shipping to Europe.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    I've ordered straight from http://slumberhou.se/ seems to be the best way, emailed Josh and he said he had no problems shipping to Europe.
    Thanks, Mick_Trick! How long it took from the moment you placed the order and the moment you got the product?

Ive being eyeing Vikt for a long time now, waiting to pull the plug.

Unfortunately, it's been discontinued. There was another Basenoter selling a bottle last week which I linked in this thread for those interested. This one might be a little difficult to find. You might have some luck posting on the Fragrances Wanted thread. I've purchased from other members that way. I'm hoping this is one that Josh releases in small batches over time...it's one of my favorites in the Slumberhouse line.

Quote Originally Posted by fraghead93 View Post
    Ive being eyeing Vikt for a long time now, waiting to pull the plug.

How long it took from the moment you placed the order and the moment you got the product?
    Best to contact Josh about that one, methinks. The delivery part of it shouldn't take longer than it would for any parcel to reach your part of the world from the Pacific Northwest, but the bottleneck is probably at Slumberhouse itself. I get the sense that Josh still handles operations entirely by himself and needs a bit more time to pack and fulfil orders than we've come to expect in this day and age. So it's probably best to check with him, especially if it's something you need urgently.

Thanks, Mick_Trick! How long it took from the moment you placed the order and the moment you got the product?
    Dispatched and received tracking number within 7 days of placing order. Still on route, expect to receive this week...

#RubbingHandsTogether...

- - - Updated - - -

So my parcel from Slumberhouse turned up yesterday, yay!

One full bottle of Norne and a set of samples.

Only had a chance last night for a one spray sampling of Norne, my very initial impressions as follows:

As someone who has spend much of my youth cavorting around in conifer forests during day and night for much of my youth, I know what they smell like... Norne on the initial spray has that deep resinous and sour smell from fresh resin taken straight from the tree bark and rubbed between your fingers... after a couple of hours the sour note of fresh resin has receded somewhat and a different aromatic takes center stage... It reminds me of when you have a bonfire in the forest, and someone throws a wet fir branch on... just at that moment there is a aroma that comes from the burning wet fir, part aromatic steam, part sour hot resin, and part wet smoke.

Incredible the imagery contained in this beautiful fragrance... I am looking forward to really getting to know this one and the other samples I have received.

Big thumbs up to Josh and Slumberhouse, beautiful work...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Look at how valuable vintage Tabarome is!
    I mean, from a purely economical viewpoint, those discontinued Slumberhouses are worth 1/4 of their weight in gold - a slightly used 30mL of Ore recently went for $282.
    Holy shit, for real?

How much would someone pay for this:

the bottles are monaxares and grev

the samples are: jeke, ore, flou, tarnet, autumn suede (x2), vanille no.1, gris, kumele vineto, and some ambergris tincture.

Fuck man, I can't believe I burnt all of my slumberhouse candle!!

A nice bump here for the original thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by salted33 View Post
    Holy shit, for real?

How much would someone pay for this:

the bottles are monaxares and grev

the samples are: jeke, ore, flou, tarnet, autumn suede (x2), vanille no.1, gris, kumele vineto, and some ambergris tincture.

Fuck man, I can't believe I burnt all of my slumberhouse candle!!
    Samples do not sell that well compared to full bottles. Grev isn't an easy sell, either. The other I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Samples do not sell that well compared to full bottles. Grev isn't an easy sell, either. The other I have no clue.
    These are all from circa 2009, when Josh was still using etsy and mostly promoting himself on black metal forums (lol) someone should shell out for 'historical interest'