Code of Conduct

Default CdG Avignon and Heeley Cardinal

I searched the archives but did not seem to get an answer I needed.

Which of these two incense scents:

a) Smells more like a thurible during Mass
    b) Lasts longer on the skin
    c) Has better sillage

I enjoy incense fragrances and enjoy L'Oocitane's Eau des Baux and Caron's Parfum Sacre. (Both of these have good sillage and longevity.)

Thank you for any help in advance.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: CdG Avignon and Heeley Cardinal

Heeley Cardinal

I own and love both but based on your criteria I would suggest Avignon. It is a dark and heavy incence where Cardinal is lighter, brighter, and slightly effervescent. Avignon would no doubt satisfy your search for that Catholic Mass inscense. While both are similar in spirit, I think of Avignon as the classic gothic cathedral while Cardinal would equate more to a modern Catholic church.

Sur la Plage

Definitely Avignon.

Also try Etro Messe de Minuit.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I haven't tried them enough to comment on longevity. But as others were saying, Avignon smells closer to the catholic church not-so-pure incense (that is, heavier, with some burnt notes etc), while Cardinal is lighter, purer, more citrusy. I actually find Zagorsk even more church-like, presumably because in my church in italy they didn't use pure incense but mixed it heavily with other pine-like resins, an aspect that Zagorsk captures well.

These are much more literal than the two perfumes you mention. Another churchy fragrance is CDG Man 2, which smells like incense plus snuffed candles, thus giving the whole experience. And just a couple of days ago I tried Hindu Kush by La via del profumo, which also replicates in a literal way the old church experiences of my youth: incense plus floor wax plus camphor - evidently the churches I entered with my grandma were heavy on floor waxing. Excellent (though short lived).

cacio

Avignon
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I'm wearing cardinal right now, I love it, smells like high mass but very light and airy, it's like a ray of sunshine coming through stained glass at the cathedral, love it love it love it...silage is medium and it's longevity is very good
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Avignon for reasons that others have already noted. I'd also add that, while I love Cardinal's bright top notes, I'm less fond of the dry down. I love Avignon top to bottom. I don't wear it very often though, because it weirds out my lapsed Catholic friends.

Last edited by Descartes; 26th March 2013 at 09:42 PM.

Thank you all for the input!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

For an authentic frankincense fumes experience you may try M Micallef's Shanaan. Good sillage and impressive longevity.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'll register another vote for Cardinal. Bright, dry, airy, longing... captures the vibe perfectly. It is on my to-buy list.
    I find Avignon to be the only CdG Incense one I don't care for. A bit too sweet and vanilla-centric for my taste.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Off-Scenter

My choice, given the criteria: Avignon.

Avignon packs more punch than Cardinal. It also feels darker and more austere. Cardinal smells comparatively "polite" on me by comparison.

Thank you all again for the input. It looks like Avignon is ahead on this one for my next "try" list.