Code of Conduct

Default Which fragrance best conjures up the idea of "Forest" for you and what type of forest is conjured?

I'm curious about what the idea means to other members. Outdoorsy scents are often associated with men's fragrances, but I'm not limiting this inquiry to the men's fragrance discussion, as everyone who has ever gone for a walk in the woods has their own memory of it and the feelings it inspires. Each part of the world has it's own distinctive natural environment, and "forest" can mean everything from a lush tropical jungle to an icy boreal spruce grove. I have a personal favorite, but I don't want to tell anyone until I've heard some replies. This is my first thread, and I hope it inspires some replies with room for creativity. Forest... forest... forest.

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Which fragrance best conjures up the idea of "Forest" for you and what type of forest is conjure

Parfum d'Habit. See my review. Also Chêne. While Chêne is literally "woodsy" Parfum d'Habit conjures up a doused campfire, a moist forest floor, flannel shirts and leather jackets: a walk in the Northwest woods on a foggy morning.

Hillaire

Default Re: Which fragrance best conjures up the idea of "Forest" for you and what type of forest is conjure

Ormonde Woman sincerely conjures a forest to me, like nothing else.

Epic Woman. An evergreen forest in the Cascades, in Spring when sun begins to melt the snow.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome professor goggles!

Pino Silvestri- the piney woods in New Hampshire or around Banff, Alberta
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Patou pour Homme
    Jules
    Sycomore
    Vintage Mitsouko
    Yatagan
    L'Eau Trois
    Coriolan
    Bois d'Orage
    Philosykos
    Terre d'Hermes
    Nino Cerruti pour Homme (1979)
    Parfum d'Habit
    Chêne
    Virgilio
    Leonard pour Homme

Each reminds me of various parts of the rainforest around my house at different times of the day in the less rainy months.
    Last edited by pluran; 24th September 2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: mons veneris

French Lover (Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle)- on the edge of, at a certain elevation but sub-alpine, exposed rock-faces and running water nearby. There is definitely damp moss on the rocks in the shade. Makes me think of a trip up Mt. Egmont in Taranaki in winter when I was a kid.

Filles en Aiguilles (Serge Lutens) - sheltered and warm out of the wind in a NZ pine forest on the West Coast with only a thick carpet of pine needles on the ground. I used to live near a huge pine-forest (they shot some of LOTR where I played as a kid).
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 24th March 2011 at 03:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Encre Noire Conjours an image of me

Walking though a Dense forest at night
    and smell the pine russles though the air the sweet scent of cypresses the Wet Earth Beneth you.

Victrix Is Burning Cederwood

Blog Entries

On my skin, Grin (great name!) by Ayala Moriel evokes the deciduous woods of the New Forest, here in the south of England where l grew up, complete with ferns, moss & undergrowth.
    l find Ambre Sultan, with it's blast of fresh-cut wood & pine needles, very evocative of the pine plantations where the trees are grown for timber.
    Speaking of pines; Ambra Aurea by Profumum & Tom Ford's Amber Absolute are both raw, resinous ambers that smell to me like they just dripped out of a pine tree.

Welcome to basenotes, Prof!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Awesome topic! Welcome to Basenotes.
    My Top 10*:
    1. Bois des Iles (Chanel)
    2. Ubar (Amouage)
    3. Pandora (DSH)
    4. Miss Dior - vintage (Dior)
    5. Jolie Madame (Balmain)
    6. Jicky (Guerlain)
    7. Gold Woman (Amouage)
    8. Mata Hari (DSH)
    9. L'Air du Desert Moracain (Tauer)
    10. Medici - Italian Splendor: Florence (DSH)
    *in no particular order because it's too hard!

Oh how I love this topic! I will make notes of these suggestions.
    No list of this sort would be complete without my beloved Knize Forest, a mossy old-school romp through the woods.
    A strong contender here is Ayala Moriel's Rainforest -- dark and brooding, Emily Carr painting in a bottle.
    For a discussion of many woody scents, I invite everybody over to the Coneheads Social group here on Basenotes. It is an open forum, and we welcome new members!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Sycomore conjures up deep forest with plenty of evergreens to me - much like our southern hardwood forests studded with pines,

reine

Terre Hermes - unrelenting pine forest. I have to wear it away from the face otherwise I'd never get out of the woods.

Sir Irisch Moos- mossy, dark forest with almost a druid association, the almost mineral, slightly moist-watery smells and even hints of wildly growing aromatic herbs are also present
    Knize Forest- a very distinguishably familiar forest, tame and carefully tended, almost like a formal garden as part of some sprawling and luxurious private estate/compound, grassy and incense-like notes lurking in the background

Those are very poetic and striking descriptions, KR.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

I must second Ormonde Jayne Woman. Green, citrusy, and spicy; a little pine. Deep, cool forest feel.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Another vote for Parfum d'Habit. A very damp and earthy scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Aoud Forest

Guerlain Vertiver: A cedar forest with lots of undergrowth with a deep cool green pond in the middle.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Chêne: oak dry forest
    Un bois sépia: automnal forest, humidity and rotten woods

Why haven't I been reading this forum in the past? Great topic!
    I would offer both
    Comme des Garcons x Monocle Scent One Hinoki and
    Creed Cypres-Musc
    I would happily second Knize Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    French Lover (Editions de Parfum Frederic Malle)- on the edge of, at a certain elevation but sub-alpine, exposed rock-faces and running water nearby. There is definitely damp moss on the rocks in the shade.
    That, and Yatagan, which reminds me somewhat of meat roasting on a campfire at the edge of a drought-ridden forest.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

dark, summery fairy forest- Aromatics Elixir by Clinique
    wet,fall fresh forest- DSquared-Shewood
    dry,succulent, fruity forest- CdG Palisander
    strolling through the forest and nibbling on a green plant staple- Chanel 19 (or Diorella/or Y by YSL)

I'll add mario valentino's ocean rain.

Depending on the day I wear it it smells either like what a fantasy unicorn grove would smell like or a lush forest with wild animals and waist deep flowering wild greens. in summer.

I love this topic so much. I'm going to have to try a few of these recommendations.
    ♥ Tom Ford Private Blends, Diptyque candles, Jo Malone, Frederic Malle, Auric Blends.
    Please let me know if you're selling a bottle of Tom Ford - Noir de Noir

oh wow.. i just experienced this in a fragrance -- Vision Quest, by For Strange Women. intensely forest. it conjured some very deep memories.

and another, though i'm new to this fragrance -- oud. i wouldn't call it "forest", but it can have a very deep jungle-y forest atmosphere about it that rings with mystery.

First of all it's not an easy question, it seems like there are a lof of fragrances that are "forest inspired" but in reality no matter how green, woody, mossy is a fragrance - for some reason a lot of times they just don't smell like real woods.

There was one and only one time when I smelled a fragrance, and thought to myself: "oh my, this doesn't smell like forest inspired perfume, it doesn't smell like any perfume at all, this is the scent of a real forest!". What was the name of it? L'Artisan Fleur de Liane. It smells like a rainy forest, that's right or just about any forest in the rain. I have no idea what was done to it, but it smells like the REAL deal. Somehow green, earthy just no words will describe it exactly the way it smells. I can just GUARANTEE anyone it does smell like a real forest. How beautiful!

Agree on Malle's Bois d'Orage (because French Lover is just a terrible name IMO lol)
    If you want something like natural wood type of scents.. You might go towards the oud path.. Quality oud oils smell like really earthy wood. Not cheap though..

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Grin (great name!) by Ayala Moriel evokes the deciduous woods of the New Forest, here in the south of England where l grew up, complete with ferns, moss & undergrowth.
    She really nails wood scents, and it's interesting to hear that it reminds you of England. I always think of the Pacific Northwest, because her woodiest scent to me is Rainforest. But then she has Rebellius with my favorite Seville lavender, champaca and tabac blond that she classifies as an oriental leather. When I wear it, my husband says it smells exactly like when he was a tree planter in Canada during high school. So, there must be some (former) Commonwealth love there!

Serge Lutens Miel de Bois is a favorite of mine, because my husband has a wood shop. It smells like freshly sawed plywood. I also like Borneo 1834, which really smells like 1969 haha.

THE wood smell that immediately comes to mind is Pino Sylvestri. It's pure Christmas tree farm.

Aromatics Elixir is another I love. Everyone beat me to the obvious ones! This is another patchouli scent, an herbal rosy chypre and less gourmand than Borneo 1834, a totally different scent. It's dramatic and sophisticated, and Estee Lauder pulled it from their perfume counter when I was at Macy's. I better grab a bottle before it's discontinued.

Blog Entries

+ 1 for Ocean Rain. Also YSL's Y (see review.)
    jtd

These are great recommendations. This thread reminds me of one of my fragrance fantasies: a perfume that evokes the ponderosa pine forests of the southwest where I grew up, which have bark that smells like vanilla. It's so lovely to walk through a vanilla-scented forest.

Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon smells like a forest floor, very dark and earthy. I think if you combined it with something woody like CDG Hinoki you'd have the whole forest covered!

+1 Fleur de Liane

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Oh how I love this topic! I will make notes of these suggestions.
    No list of this sort would be complete without my beloved Knize Forest, a mossy old-school romp through the woods.
    +1

Cdg's Zagorsk (a siberian forest in the late fall)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by pearlfingering View Post
    She really nails wood scents, and it's interesting to hear that it reminds you of England. I always think of the Pacific Northwest, because her woodiest scent to me is Rainforest. But then she has Rebellius with my favorite Seville lavender, champaca and tabac blond that she classifies as an oriental leather.
    Great topic! And thanks for mentioning Rainforest, it sounds amazing.

Oh, I am bumping this thread.

Currently wearing Moss & Ivy by "For Strange Women," an etsy shop. Natural essentials and absolutes in a carrier oil base. The creator describes it as a "forest in a bottle," and I agree. I come from the Northeastern US, and I'd say this is springtime forest, and the trees are oak, maple and the like. I'm getting different notes depending on the day, my body chemistry etc. Sometimes it's lushly round, like earthy ferns and moist moss, and sometimes a bit dryer and smoky woodsier, but not overly sharp and crispy (which has it's own charm). It has basil, which I love, but the basil doesn't come out as summer garden, tomato-stem basil, rather, something deeper.

I want to try Ken Russell's recommendations!

Hermes Apres La Mousson
    Hermes Sur Le Nil

Polo Modern Reserve reminds me of walking through a forrest at night and stumbling upon Paul Bunyan's log cabin with a camp fire roasting nearby.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock