Code of Conduct

Thread: Tuscan leather

Default Tuscan leather

hi guys how do you find tuscan leather ?
    ive read and watched some mixed reviews on this some saying its strong some saying not
    its a frag im very interested in trying out i want a nice leather scent to add to my collection how does it work for a night on the town? all comments appeciated thanks
    Current top 5

1 spiriteuse double vanille
    2 musc ravageur
    3 versace dreamer
    4 chanel allure
    5 new haarlem

Default Re: Tuscan leather

Personally not a fan of this one.

If you search around in this forum, there were a few discussions on the issue. My opinion is that Tuscan Leather is a good and straightforward leather, though not as complex as others. It works perfectly for a night in town. It's not particularly strong within the leather genre, but it's a leather, so it's stronger than most perfumes. Among many other leathers you can try before deciding, my favorites are Knize Ten and Bandit.

cacio

Mostly, it seems, they took the new raspberry/wood molecule and combined it with a strong leather note (as you might smell when you enter a leather goods store). Not much else going on. I prefer Lacoste Elegance for that new raspberry/wood molecule, and I have plenty of leather frags I prefer. If you don't know what that new molecule is like, sample Elegance or Diesel Fuel for Life Men if you can't get a sample of TL. This is not a good blind buy if you have never smelled that molecule !

if you like the smell of brand new leather handbag or the smell that you get when you enter a leather store...and then, if you'd like it to drydown to a smell which is almost talc like supple leather accord then, you would like it. i see you have an appetite for stronger scents like dreamer and A*Men, this one should be right up your alley.

is it strong, well all TF scents are.. but they drydown to something very pleasant and complex in it's simplicity. and yes, it's advised for cooler weather. could be nauseating for summer wear.

I love it personally. Excellent night out scent.

Sur la Plage

It is one of the best leather scents on the market. Highly recommended.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I highly recommend getting a large decant if you end up liking it after sampling, since a bottle is so expensive. A lot of the Ford creations hit you with a big WOW, but it's a fragrance that gets boring and nauseating really fast. It's very linear, and the topnotes are fantastic, but I find all the Ford's dry to a cheap synthetic base. I initially loved many of the Private Blends, but dismissed them all after frequent wearings.

Very interesting scent....does smell like real leather.

Fantastic frag, fine leather.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I highly recommend getting a large decant if you end up liking it after sampling, since a bottle is so expensive. A lot of the Ford creations hit you with a big WOW, but it's a fragrance that gets boring and nauseating really fast. It's very linear, and the topnotes are fantastic, but I find all the Ford's dry to a cheap synthetic base. I initially loved many of the Private Blends, but dismissed them all after frequent wearings.
    There is some truth to this, but it is not true of all Tom Ford Private Blends. I find TL to be very good and I like it better than Knize 10, Clive Christian C, Royal English Leather and others.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I love everything about it except for the raspberry jam/fruit note that seems to really take away from a brilliant, bold leather accord. It's fairly linear (like most Tom Fords) and has superb longevity but limited sillage on my skin.

I don't get as much raspberry as everyone else does, I guess. And, the raspberry that I do get id fairly subtle, it doesn't stick out, and it isn't at all sickly synthetic smelling fruity note. In other words, it goes brilliantly with the modern leather. And, who ever said modern leather can't be so rich and full; Tuscan Leather is modern yet not at all light or transparent. Again I think the combination of notes on this one is outstanding, and the fragrance overall is worth the price. Not often will I say this, but TF's Private Blend has surely gotten my attention. They have some excellent fragrances that are fairly simple, yet so rich and full of life.

As far as Tuscan Leather though, in terms of the leather note itself. I was recently at a factory down in Miami where they make leather items right in front of you. Customized wallets, belts, jackets etc. Made by your order. I ordered a Leather belt with pyramid studs. When they were cutting the leather, it reminded me of Tuscan Leather. Fresh cut leather is very bold, yet not really heavy.. That's exactly what I get from Tuscan Leather.

Big fan of Tom Ford, not a big fan of this scent. To dry, clawing and single note.

I really like a lot of Tom Ford's scents, but I find this one to be absolutely disgusting. I mean I truly despise it. Everyone I know who I've ever let smell it hates it too. They just screw up their nose and go "What the hell is THAT?".

Awful stuff.

one big, dark, sultry fragrance............LOVE IT!!!

The thing with almost all Tom Ford fragrances is that I smell them, I say "hmm, that's nice" and then I look at the price tag and say "so not worth it....".Today I received Suratti Tom Ford Tsucan Leather OIL 100ml for 50 euros. Extremely close to the original and I don't feel like having been robbed when I wear it.
    Last edited by cpk; 15th March 2011 at 05:28 PM.
    Now blogging about Christos for Men by Christopher Chronis http://wp.me/13WRd

Vintage Jacomo Eau Cendree available for sale

Like it a lot. It's one of the "loudest" leathers though. Wears very strong on me. Really have to watch the dose.
    It has a lot of fans in here for sure. It is very nice. Mark Birley Charles Street is a bit of a smell alike to me for less money if that's an issue.

I just received a sample of this yesterday. I've been wanting to try this for about a year now, and it definitely did not disappoint! At first, it almost reminded me of Les Nombres d'Or - Cuir by Mona di Orio (just the strength of smokiness, Cuir is a bad smokiness, more like a burned down house). Tuscan Leather is loud, strong, and crazy intoxicating. I hate cigarette smoke, but this is more of a pipe smoke, leather combination that just works amazing. Now, if we could just do something about that crazy pricing! I get the resemblance to Charles Street, but I find Charles Street to be colder, drier, and more of an old books type of leather compared to this. Overall, this is awesome!

Good stuff. Totally unique in the leather world. Some people dislike the smoked raspberry and cocaine note (not that I've smelled cocaine, but I'll take other members' words for it ), but I think that's what sets it apart from the field. It's quite modern, and is easily wearable in social settings.

As stylinLA said, it's quite powerful. It's one of the few scents I prefer to dab on rather than spray to the chest.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

something about this scent reminds me of 80s metal chicks.

Since StylinLA compared this to Charles Street, I decided to test these tonight. I have one on each arm, and they are very similar. Tuscan Leather still has a deeper, darker, richer scent that really kicks with leather and smoke. Charles Street is more of a dry, old library book type of leather to me. But it does have more of a booziness to me, even though there is none listed in the notes. Its definitely not the same scent, but at less than 1/3rd the price, Charles Street is a great alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    Since StylinLA compared this to Charles Street, I decided to test these tonight. I have one on each arm, and they are very similar. Tuscan Leather still has a deeper, darker, richer scent that really kicks with leather and smoke. Charles Street is more of a dry, old library book type of leather to me. But it does have more of a booziness to me, even though there is none listed in the notes. Its definitely not the same scent, but at less than 1/3rd the price, Charles Street is a great alternative.
    Yeah, boozy indeed. The opening notes reminded me so much of scotch whiskey I laughed. It was like I spilled a drink on my wrist.

And yes, Tuscan Leather is much stronger. One of the strongest scents I own.

Smells great if you can live with the price tag.

i enjoy this scent but i wouldn't wear it on a night out imo.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The raspberry note is a little prominent but overall I find Tuscan Leather enjoyable, even if it feels synthetic & lacks development for the most part. Strong stuff. 1-2 spray(s) under the shirt & I'm set for 8 hours.

Banned

It's OK, I used to wear this one a lot but can't see me buying another bottle anytime soon. It's a good leather though and the raspberry note is interesting. I've been told I smell of cocaine by a couple of people when I've used it though!