Code of Conduct

Default Bond No.9 Fragrances Synthetic?

People say that Bond is a cheap knock off of Creed. Is the Bond line natural or synthetics?

Whether it is or not, I love this line better than Creed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Default Re: Bond No.9 Fragrances Synthetic?

Bond's smell pretty natural. Bleecker st is the only one that caught me off guard because it smells like a hot swamp, but I guess that is natural. The people you are listening to got it mixed up. Creed is a overrated and overpriced house. So much so, you can find a $30-50 designer scents that smell identical to the majority of Creeds.
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 15th March 2011 at 03:16 PM.

I think it depends on what you mean by synthetic. Most perfumes (colognes/fragrances) nowadays are synthetically made unless they are specifically designated as such, like Providence Perfume line is "100% natural." I'm sure both Bond and Creed use synthetics in their fragrances, although there is debate. Ambergris is both a very expensive and rare substance that is found in many Creed fragrances so it may be created synthetically (though synthetic Ambergris is a pretty good representation of the real thing, or so I've read). Whether or not Bond has "copied" Creed is a different issue, and one which I don't want to comment on.
    I'm not your toy.

I've personally never smelled a Bond fragrance, but excited to. I'm currently splitting a bottle of New Harlem and can't wait to see what it smells like. Synthetic only bothers me when it's very strong and you can tell its cheaply made. The usage of some synthetic materials are expected and acceptable in my mind.
    Reviews geared for the younger crowd: www.thecolognereview.com

Currently hosting bottle splits of Bond No. 9 Bleecker St, and Creed Selection Verte ///PM details

Also a scent being synthetic is not a bad thing, some of the most synthetic scents get the most complements out of all fragrances (ie. Le Male, ADG, Curve, Joop, Cool Water). They are also the most popular.
    Last edited by Dark Caesar; 15th March 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Synthetic isn't always a bad thing!

Banned

"Synthetic" as a term to describe perfume is a bit too broad. There are countless perfumes composed primarily of synthetic materials (including Creed), but the resulting aroma smells natural, like a 'real' thing. For example Diorissimo is nearly all synthetic aromachemicals but smells almost like photorealistic lily of the valley. Even non-florals can be synthetically created but smell natural. I'm thinking of many CdGs such as Hinoki or even their more avant garde scents (Tar, Garage) that are made from synthetics but smell realistically like what they are supposed to represent.

The negative inference with 'synthetic' is when a perfume actually smells like chemicals. This is common in modern designer fragrances (and increasingly in niche perfumes as well) - what you're smelling is obviously an aromachemical. Usually if people complain about something being 'synthetic' this is what they're referring to.

So to get back to the point, yes many Bond 9s contain synthetics, but not any more so then Creed perfumes. Although I find most Bond's to be fairly bland (with exceptions) they mostly don't smell like chemicals or smell cheap.

Most disappointing fragrance house.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

i like riverside drive

Bond arguably projects a bit more synthetic feel, but I don't see that necessarily as a negative. It definitely helps with its sillage and longevity, which in most cases exceed Creed standards. New Haarlem, Brooklyn, Chinatown, Riverside Drive, Westside, and Coney Island are all superior fragrances, IMO, and definitely worth a look at for the uninitiated.
    Summer Top 5:
    1) Creed Aventus
    2) A*Men Pure Havane
    3) Dior Homme Sport
    4) YSL L'Homme
    5) Clinique Happy for Men

While there are Bond No. 9 fragrances that I like, I find myself more disappointed than pleased with how they smell. And while that isn't a universal opinion, I suspect that is the majority view on this discussion board. The issue isn't whether they are too synthetic, per se, but that there seems to be too little invested in the construction (in my judgment).

Blog Entries

I'm not sure about the synthetic/natural makeup of Bond's products, all I know is that many of them smell great!
    Everyone is somebody's weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by SymbianBlack View Post
    People say that Bond is a cheap knock off of Creed. Is the Bond line natural or synthetics?
    I actually find their "Creed knock offs" as improved versions, in terms of overall scent and longevity. I can't wait for Bond No. 9's version of Creed Aventus with a longer lasting pineapple note and without the smokey ash note.

All fragrances use synthetics these days. But, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Many synthetic fragrances are synthetically abbreviated versions of natural scents that isolate part of the natural scent that adds the most to a fragrance formula. I don't mind fragrances with synthetics in them and I am sure Bond No. 9 does have some synthetics as well as some natural oils too.

What bothers me is when the particular blend of fragrance chemicals causes the involuntary reactions in my nasal passages to close down. It is kind of like an allergic reaction of sorts. This happens in some perfumes but not in others in the house of Bond No. 9. It may be totally a personal reaction. I don't know if it is totally due to synthetics, but they do often have this reactive chemical veneer covering the cloud of scent in their fragrances that my nose does not react well to.

All that said, I like several Bond No. 9's that I don't have a bad reaction with and own bottles of those.

As far as Creed knock offs is concerned I think it is time to put that complaint behind us. Initially Bond No. 9 did emulate a variety of other brands of fragrances - some were Creed. But, as time as progressed Bond continues to develop their own formulas that are unique and very worthy of their place in the fragrance world. Those that have been copies are often significant improvements over the fragrance that was the inspiration. Its time to let Bond No. 9 off the hook for being a copycat designer - that is past history in my opinon and is irrelevant now.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 15th March 2011 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosehavn View Post
    Most disappointing fragrance house.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Whether it is or not, I love this line better than Creed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I also like more fragrances from Bond than I do Creed.....I have about 5 or 6 that I like from Creed.....I have at least 15 from Bond that I really like!!!
    I also find the Bonds that are considered Creed copies better fragrances.....I know that there are many here at Basenotes that hate this house.....Sorry.....I am a Very Big Bond Fan!!! And yes.....Synthetic is not always bad!!!
    Gary

People say that Bond is a cheap knock off of Creed.
    Yes some do, but who really cares what people say?

Is the Bond line natural or synthetics?
    Far more synthetic than natural but I think they smell good which is all that counts.

Ultimately you need to test them and make up your own mind. You may like all, some or none of them

I like Bond more. Theres only 2 Creeds I like. (Aventus and Green Valley) Not what the OP was asking but this is my 2 cents =]
    Daniel + Jonny + Neurosis = The 3 BFF Amigos <3

Are they parfums or toilets?

I know the split of Jubilation XXV I just did was EDP. I believe they are all EDP but correct me if I'm wrong.
    Reviews geared for the younger crowd: www.thecolognereview.com

Currently hosting bottle splits of Bond No. 9 Bleecker St, and Creed Selection Verte ///PM details

What is Bond's equivalent to Millesime Imperial?
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    What is Bond's equivalent to Millesime Imperial?
    Wall St.

I smelled. Alot of creeds and in my opinion I can't think of anything that resembles bond or vice versa

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgonigal View Post
    I know the split of Jubilation XXV I just did was EDP. I believe they are all EDP but correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yep, they're all EDP's.

Is new haarlem a rochas man clone? Especially considering the parfumer?

Is new haarlem a rochas man clone? Especially considering the parfumer?
    New Harlem is quite an improvement over Rochas Man, if there is any relationship at all. New Harlem has a nice smokey wood finish added to the gourmand chocolatey opening, this base reminds me of aspects of MPG Eau d' Iles or Navigateur by L' Artisan. New Harlem is a superior fragrance to Rochas Man so if it is a clone, it is a much improved version.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    New Harlem is quite an improvement over Rochas Man, if there is any relationship at all. New Harlem has a nice smokey wood finish added to the gourmand chocolatey opening, this base reminds me of aspects of MPG Eau d' Iles or Navigateur by L' Artisan. New Harlem is a superior fragrance to Rochas Man so if it is a clone, it is a much improved version.
    And its a Parfume. I was gonna try Rochas and see if I could work around the price for a wedding day scent. But apparently quality cost so I have to spend a lil extra more

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgonigal View Post
    Wrong house. Jubilation is Amouage. Bond's are all EDP though, you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Glad I sampled New Haarlem. I enjoy Rochas Man more.

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Glad I sampled New Haarlem. I enjoy Rochas Man more.
    Longevity?

Longevity?
    Rochas Man lasts 5-6 hours, while New Haarlem lasts 10+ hours on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Rochas Man lasts 5-6 hours, while New Haarlem lasts 10+ hours on my skin.
    Agree. Just like the Rochas a tad bit better.

Hmmm I would have to try rochas

I was under the impression Laurice worked for Creed at some point... hence the obvious original knockoffs in their lineup.

as to the synthetic question, technically they are, yes, but most of them smell good. So it depends what you mean by synthetic (is use aromachemicals or smell bad)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I was under the impression Laurice worked for Creed at some point... hence the obvious original knockoffs in their lineup.

as to the synthetic question, technically they are, yes, but most of them smell good. So it depends what you mean by synthetic (is use aromachemicals or smell bad)
    Yes I think peoples idea of synthetic differ. I meant actual fake ingredients. Terre D'Hermes is as earthy as they
    come and it could be a synthetic.